gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:43:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728704 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8550 on: October 31, 2011, 08:02:45 AM »

Well, last week started out very badly for me.  My car's transmission took a dump, and I was without transportation for the whole week.  I was able to find a ride to and from work all week, so that was a positive.  The service shop was able to find a used transmission to put in my car, so the repair was a lot less money than it might have been.  I still ended up paying a lot of money, though, so I am not able to afford the big deluxe box set right now.

On Saturday morning I was checking out some of the posts here, and I suddenly got very sad that I wasn't going to be able to buy the box on Tuesday (I'm in the USA).  I had to get away from the computer for awhile, so I got in the car, did some errands, and on the way home I decided to stop at my local indie record shop to see if they had ordered any copies of the box.  First, I went to the new releases section, and did not see it there (although they did have Brian's Disney CD).  Next, I went to the Beach Boys section, and while they did have both the '93 GV box and the Pet Sounds box, there were no copies of The Smile Sessions.  So, I headed for the counter to ask the clerk if they were going to stock it.

And there...right there in front of me...sat two brand new copies of the deluxe box set.  I stood there, motionless, staring at them for a few seconds.  I stepped forward, put my hands on one of the copies, and picked it up.  It felt heavy and substantial in my hands.  I admired the front for awhile (purposely avoiding the price tag, which was also substantial...$159.99).  I turned the box over to look at the back, and as I was looking at it, the nice young girl behind the counter asked me if I needed help with anything.  Knowing that I could not afford to buy this wonderful thing that I held in my hands, I told her that I was looking for the 2 CD version of 'this'.  She simply said "Oh..." and turned around to pick up something from the shelf behind her.  As she turned back to face me, I could see that she was indeed holding a copy of the 2 CD edition.  She smiled at me and said, "This looks really good."  I slowly put down the big box that I had been holding, and she said to me, knowingly, "Yeah, I know, that's a lot of money, but it's supposed to be a real nice set".  I replied that I would be buying one someday, and I took the 2 CD box from her hands.  I looked at it, then looked at her, then heard myself say, "I need this.", and she laughed.  We went to the register and she rang up the sale ($29.99, but hey, it was being sold to me 3 days early).  And so on Saturday morning I walked out of the store with a copy of The Smile Sessions 2 CD box in my hands.  Mine.  It was mine.

Let me first say this...I had not listened to any Smile music since March of this year.  No fan mixes, no BWPS, no Amazon clips, no streaming tracks, nothing (except for the music that plays during the official 'unboxing' video).  I wanted to be blown away when I heard this.  I had read some of the Leila stuff, but I tried to avoid most of the spoiler information.  It was impossible to avoid it all, but I did a pretty good job of staying away from the majority.

Listen.  The sound of the tracks is incredible.  Stunning.  Punchy, crisp, and clear.  I would also say that these are the best versions of these songs that I have ever heard.   I love nearly every single moment of CD1.  It is a fun listen.  I do not care about Frankenstein or Fly-ins.  I do not care about cross-fades.  I don't hear any lagging vocals.  Mr. Linett and Mr. Boyd did an incredible job of editing this stuff together to make an enjoyable, listenable collection of some of the finest pop music ever written and recorded.  My thanks go out to them and to everyone else who contributed to this release. 

Maybe I'll comment on some of the individual songs in that other thread.  Maybe not.  People are going to have their own opinions, and some of them will not be the same as mine.  I don't care.  I love this 2 CD set.  I hope to be able to buy the big set someday.  Smile.  Enjoy.  Peace.       

grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »

Well, last week started out very badly for me.  My car's transmission took a dump, and I was without transportation for the whole week.  I was able to find a ride to and from work all week, so that was a positive.  The service shop was able to find a used transmission to put in my car, so the repair was a lot less money than it might have been.  I still ended up paying a lot of money, though, so I am not able to afford the big deluxe box set right now.

On Saturday morning I was checking out some of the posts here, and I suddenly got very sad that I wasn't going to be able to buy the box on Tuesday (I'm in the USA).  I had to get away from the computer for awhile, so I got in the car, did some errands, and on the way home I decided to stop at my local indie record shop to see if they had ordered any copies of the box.  First, I went to the new releases section, and did not see it there (although they did have Brian's Disney CD).  Next, I went to the Beach Boys section, and while they did have both the '93 GV box and the Pet Sounds box, there were no copies of The Smile Sessions.  So, I headed for the counter to ask the clerk if they were going to stock it.

And there...right there in front of me...sat two brand new copies of the deluxe box set.  I stood there, motionless, staring at them for a few seconds.  I stepped forward, put my hands on one of the copies, and picked it up.  It felt heavy and substantial in my hands.  I admired the front for awhile (purposely avoiding the price tag, which was also substantial...$159.99).  I turned the box over to look at the back, and as I was looking at it, the nice young girl behind the counter asked me if I needed help with anything.  Knowing that I could not afford to buy this wonderful thing that I held in my hands, I told her that I was looking for the 2 CD version of 'this'.  She simply said "Oh..." and turned around to pick up something from the shelf behind her.  As she turned back to face me, I could see that she was indeed holding a copy of the 2 CD edition.  She smiled at me and said, "This looks really good."  I slowly put down the big box that I had been holding, and she said to me, knowingly, "Yeah, I know, that's a lot of money, but it's supposed to be a real nice set".  I replied that I would be buying one someday, and I took the 2 CD box from her hands.  I looked at it, then looked at her, then heard myself say, "I need this.", and she laughed.  We went to the register and she rang up the sale ($29.99, but hey, it was being sold to me 3 days early).  And so on Saturday morning I walked out of the store with a copy of The Smile Sessions 2 CD box in my hands.  Mine.  It was mine.

Let me first say this...I had not listened to any Smile music since March of this year.  No fan mixes, no BWPS, no Amazon clips, no streaming tracks, nothing (except for the music that plays during the official 'unboxing' video).  I wanted to be blown away when I heard this.  I had read some of the Leila stuff, but I tried to avoid most of the spoiler information.  It was impossible to avoid it all, but I did a pretty good job of staying away from the majority.

Listen.  The sound of the tracks is incredible.  Stunning.  Punchy, crisp, and clear.  I would also say that these are the best versions of these songs that I have ever heard.   I love nearly every single moment of CD1.  It is a fun listen.  I do not care about Frankenstein or Fly-ins.  I do not care about cross-fades.  I don't hear any lagging vocals.  Mr. Linett and Mr. Boyd did an incredible job of editing this stuff together to make an enjoyable, listenable collection of some of the finest pop music ever written and recorded.  My thanks go out to them and to everyone else who contributed to this release. 

Maybe I'll comment on some of the individual songs in that other thread.  Maybe not.  People are going to have their own opinions, and some of them will not be the same as mine.  I don't care.  I love this 2 CD set.  I hope to be able to buy the big set someday.  Smile.  Enjoy.  Peace.       

someone needs to turn this post into a song
injasonbow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:39 AM »

hi, long time reader, rare poster
I've been checking back on this board 3 or 4 times nearly everyday since March to witness the excitement and discussion around this release.
so firstly thankyou for all the info that i've absorbed from you guys

i'm by no means poor but I have been struggling to pay my rent over the last year or so, so my plan was to scrape some money together for the SMiLE 2CD box before christmas and then see if i could save up over the next 6 months and buy the box if things picked up workwise. It would be frustrating not being able to hear the sessions for that long but I could deal with it being that I've been extremely busy with work.
this morning i heard a little ding-a-ling on my doorbell, i opened the door to a lady with an amazon box. my immediate though was "oh, probably the gillet my girlfriend has bought me to stay warm in the house over winter.. cool". took the box upstairs and opened it in my studio
"HOLY SHITAMOLY".. there in the box was the big boxset and a small note "enjoy this. it's been a long wait. dadx"

i geniunely wasn't expecting this. it has truly given me such a lift. argggh my dad. what a man, probably the only person in the world who knows how much i've wanted this and understands the value of this music, not only as a listener but as a part of my education as a musician. it brought a tear to my eye

i dont want to rub it in cause i know some of you havent recieved your boxsets from amazon and i dont really deserve this but wow, what an amazing suprise.
hope you all enjoy your boxsets when they arrive,
injasonbow
x

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »

Even though my amazon status is still "shipping soon" the charge finally went through on my credit card, which in the past means shipping has started. So you guys might want to check your CC charges.

God. I've spent so much in the last month, I can't bare to look at my credit card bill....checking......checking.....YES!!!! I've been charged!! Damn. I've been charged.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »

Anyone in Canada get theirs from amazon.ca yet?
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: October 31, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »

Which tracks are only on the 2 CD version and the 2 LP version?
Could someone please answer?

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »

Here is a link to Sean Murdock's fabulous chart. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v1qjot

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: October 31, 2011, 08:27:39 AM »

I've been checking back on this board 3 or 4 times nearly everyday since March to witness the excitement and discussion around this release.

i'm by no means poor but I have been struggling to pay my rent over the last year or so, so my plan was to scrape some money together for the SMiLE 2CD box before christmas and then see if i could save up over the next 6 months and buy the box if things picked up workwise. It would be frustrating not being able to hear the sessions for that long but I could deal with it being that I've been extremely busy with work.
this morning i heard a little ding-a-ling on my doorbell, i opened the door to a lady with an amazon box. my immediate though was "oh, probably the gillet my girlfriend has bought me to stay warm in the house over winter.. cool". took the box upstairs and opened it in my studio
"HOLY sh*tAMOLY".. there in the box was the big boxset and a small note "enjoy this. it's been a long wait. dadx"

i geniunely wasn't expecting this. it has truly given me such a lift. argggh my dad. what a man, probably the only person in the world who knows how much i've wanted this and understands the value of this music, not only as a listener but as a part of my education as a musician. it brought a tear to my eye

i dont want to rub it in cause i know some of you havent recieved your boxsets from amazon and i dont really deserve this but wow, what an amazing suprise.
injasonbow
x

What a great story. This and LostArt's. Really goes to show just how amazing this release is. When I got my first BB compilation some 16 years ago (on that sunny/warm Florida Christmas morning), I never would've imagined how far it would be taking me. I never would've imagined 16 years later I would be anxiously awaiting a release, from that same band, of some of the most spiritual music ever put on tape.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: October 31, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »

"HOLY sh*tAMOLY".. there in the box was the big boxset and a small note "enjoy this. it's been a long wait. dadx"

injasonbow
x

A very, very cool story. Your father understands the beauty and genius of Smile. Enjoy the listen and let us all know what your thoughts are when finished.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: October 31, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »

Here is a link to Sean Murdock's fabulous chart. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v1qjot

This has obviously/most-likely been discussed before - but why is:

02. Heroes And Villains: Part 1 (3:08)
03. Heroes And Villains: Part 2 (4:18)

Not included in the boxset (yes, it's on the 45, but some of us don't have a vinyl player)? I pay $100+ for this set, and I have to download those tracks from itunes to hear them? Seems like a key part of SMiLE, and to not make it easily available to those who shelled out good $ seems a bit odd.

ps....thanks Mr. Murdock for making this wonderful chart!

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8560 on: October 31, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »

rab2591 -- as has been mentioned several times on this board, those tracks ARE included in the CDs in the box --- just not banded that way. You can, as it were, "roll your own." The actual material is there. (BTW, nothing earth-shattering about either.) There is nothing on the 2-CD set that also does not appear on the CDs on the deluxe box.

Domino -- see my response to rab2591.

injasonbow -- awesome story! Sure hope you post more frequently in the future. Smiley

ME -- "Shipping Soon." Pending charge on the credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: October 31, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »

Thanks 37!ws!

(I figured it had been discussed ad nauseam - but I wasn't about to wade through 300+ pages of this thread to find the answer haha).

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8562 on: October 31, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »

Well, to be fair to you and Domino, I don't think it was actually mentioned in this thread but in other threads you'd have to wade to.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:47:22 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8563 on: October 31, 2011, 08:49:27 AM »

Even though my amazon status is still "shipping soon" the charge finally went through on my credit card, which in the past means shipping has started. So you guys might want to check your CC charges.

In all of my excitement, I forgot to check out the charge!  It is listed as a pending charge for me and I got a 2nd email from Amazon assuring me that I'll have it on 11-1.  Despite the fact that my Amazon account info still says shipping soon, I feel better about it now.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: October 31, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »

My amazon.com order has changed to "Shipping Soon"  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8565 on: October 31, 2011, 09:07:22 AM »

Mine has been shipped!!! Whoohooo!! Just got the amazon email! I can't wait!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: October 31, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »

I just picked up my copy at the post office, so let the fun begin!!!! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ah I spot a TESCO bag , have they got SMiLE on the shelves  in the fresh produce aisle ? LOL
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: October 31, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »

Mine has been shipped!!! Whoohooo!! Just got the amazon email! I can't wait!

I got that e-mail 6.5 hours ago.. My UPS tracking still says this:

"A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: October 31, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »

I picked up my Smile box and the 2 CD set early last week.

For those who are concerned about the availability of vinyl tracks included in the box and nowhere else. FLAC and Mp3 files are being generated for those and obviously you can then pop them on CD in .wav or whatever format.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: October 31, 2011, 09:45:10 AM »

I picked up my Smile box and the 2 CD set early last week.

For those who are concerned about the availability of vinyl tracks included in the box and nowhere else. FLAC and Mp3 files are being generated for those and obviously you can then pop them on CD in .wav or whatever format.

I particularly am concerned about the availability of the 7" singles... I wish there had been a "vinyl" deluxe option that included these plus the 2xlp.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: October 31, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »

The LP's sounds heavenly..... much warmer than what i was listening to on the weekend.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: October 31, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »

Set up camp by front door, fuelled with tea, biscuits and chainsmoking nerviously. Todays the day.  Grin

My girlfriend convinced me to quit ciggies four years ago. Otherwise I might not be here for this release now. Or the next one...
Kudos and congratulation to you, John!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »

Just been to HMV in Liverpool, I got the Box and 2 disc this morning from Amazon but also bought the 1 dsc (crazy I know) in-store. It was £9.99, they had the 2 disc for £15.99 - didn't see the box set anywhere.

Now I have all 3 versions..

I have ripped all 5 discs to iTunes at 320kbps, and made safety copies and will spend the next few hours hopefuly managing a complete run through of the whole set. Had a quick scan through and there seems to be tons of new stuff that has not been heard before, even having heard 95% of the "shady stuff"

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 347 348 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx