gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:01:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 [326] 327 328 329 330 331 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735214 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: October 28, 2011, 04:34:03 AM »

Oh my - The Vocal montage. Like hearing Smile for the first time. I am shaking my head in disbelief as I listen to this!!

And then Surf's Up 67. His delivery on that tag. Just stunned by this. These two tracks are definitely the highlights of disc 1 for me.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Paulos
« Reply #8126 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »

Personal Message?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: October 28, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

Initial thoughts on the album sequence [SPOILERS].....

To get the bad stuff out of the way....

Well, it's the best album ever..... if it had more vocals. This is not Linett or Boyds problem, rather some dude called Wilsons  Grin But in the spirit of Joe Q. Public, there is quite a lot of dead air in that respect. Actually, despite my praise of the Great Shape fly-in, where's my sodding tape explosion. The edit before the vocal comes in is also a bit quick.... But I LOVE IT.

That's the bad stuff.

The good stuff?

It's INCREDIBLE. They've done a pretty much perfect job! I was actually pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Great Shape and Barnyard fly-ins, the Dada one is kinda insignificant and pretty ok, the Look ones are really quiet. Fire = YES.

The Child acetate is the BOMB.
Look sounds amazing!
Holidays sounding CLEAR! And a little slower..... Tape wobble on the boots?
Everything sounding clear!
It all sounds great!
Fire! Is it a different take?
My Only Sunshine - DENNIS' VOCAL - OH YEAH
Surf's Up, I know some people have gripes about the pace of Brian's fly-in. I see what they mean, but it's not an issue. Carl WORKS. I love the fact there seem to be more weaving harmonies under Brian's lead.... Brian & Carl, singing Surf's Up. I nearly had tears in my eyes during part 2, just cos it's SMILE and IT'S HAPPENED.

Tuesday can't come quickly enough.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: October 28, 2011, 04:39:53 AM »

Holy sh*t! Brian is humming the original Do You Like Worms melody. "Once upon the sandwich isles". Completely different melody. Wooooooooow I'm crying  Shocked
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: October 28, 2011, 04:41:01 AM »

Imagine how great DYLW would be with that amazing melody. I'm in shock.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8130 on: October 28, 2011, 04:55:40 AM »

Man i might just buy airline tickets today and fly to the UK to buy this wonderful set. Everyone has died and gone to heaven, yet i'm still here on earth. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: October 28, 2011, 04:59:17 AM »

Smile for sale in the Saturn mega store Cologne, Germany:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:31:51 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8132 on: October 28, 2011, 05:11:57 AM »

The recordings are sublime, getting teary eyed regularly Cry
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: October 28, 2011, 05:19:39 AM »

I'm listening to Smile right now, too!

Well, the album by The Jayhawks.  It even has a song called "Mr. Wilson" - that counts, right?   LOL

As others have stated, Tuesday can't come soon enough and my patience is running out!

...but to stay on topic and contribute - it was mentioned somewhere in the 300+ pages that CBS was doing a story.  I'd think it would be for CBS Sunday Morning.  Anyone have more information?
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8134 on: October 28, 2011, 05:27:15 AM »

Smile for sale in Cologne, Germany:

13.99EUR (19.80 USD) for the single-disc CD and 19.99EUR (28.30 USD) for the two-disc version.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8135 on: October 28, 2011, 05:28:06 AM »

Right. Someone tell me which shops in the UK have this on sale now.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8136 on: October 28, 2011, 05:32:33 AM »

Drive to Cologne my friend...only a 9 to 10 hour drive! LOL LOL

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: October 28, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »

Go via Eurostar. Only 5 hours from London St Pancras
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: October 28, 2011, 05:34:05 AM »

The Compact Disc in Sevenoaks

You will find teh 2CD and 1 CD sets there

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: October 28, 2011, 05:37:13 AM »

I just heard Teeter Totter Love.

WHAT DID I JUST LISTEN TO

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: October 28, 2011, 05:38:36 AM »

Anybody in the US manage to find one of these bad boys yet? Possibly in the Baltimore area? (paging catbirdman)

All these pictures are making me SUPER IMPATIENT!!  Ahhh!

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8141 on: October 28, 2011, 05:40:32 AM »

Ordered mine from AMazon.de six weeks ago. Still waiting, but I know taht it will come sooner or later.
 It's a bank holiday in the Czech Republic so it will be at least three days 'til I hear it. Possibly more. You can see my predicament. It's actually worse than Christmas. Because, it's Christmas for all you people. But it's still, like, December 15th for me.

All I'm saying is that were a clue as to where I could find some MP3s of this make itself available to me for the means of temporary relief, I would be...well...appeased.
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8142 on: October 28, 2011, 05:42:40 AM »

I just heard Teeter Totter Love.

WHAT DID I JUST LISTEN TO

That depends on who you ask - some say a nice little, quirky experiment, AGD will remonstrate that it's a piece of sh*t. Grin Grin

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »

How about an all-in-one

mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: October 28, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »

How about an all-in-one

Hey, nice pic, but aren't you missing the 2 disc version with a unique CD2? Wink
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #8145 on: October 28, 2011, 06:17:13 AM »

How about an all-in-one

Hey, nice pic, but aren't you missing the 2 disc version with a unique CD2? Wink

Whats on it thats unique though. Surely all the cabinessence sessions stuff is on here?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: October 28, 2011, 06:21:09 AM »

Hey guys (who have listened to this),

I was planning on listening to this album on my studio headphones, but then I realized that mono (to me) sounds better on a stereo system - what would ya'll recommend?

Thanks!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: October 28, 2011, 06:22:53 AM »

How about an all-in-one

Whats on it thats unique though. Surely all the cabinessence sessions stuff is on here?

I'm just teasing, that looks great. I think the main thing you get is a digital copy of H&V p 1&2, which you have in the single format. Assuming it's the same (I heard that the Vega-Tables 45 is *different* than the album version)!!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:23:49 AM by mammy blue » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: October 28, 2011, 06:31:36 AM »

So now the initial shock of that has worn off....... DELIVER MY BOX, AMAZON  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: October 28, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »

The Poor Make less money and have to order the vinyl version. These Persons also cannot Make digital files of this.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 [326] 327 328 329 330 331 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx