gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:35:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728387 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: October 26, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »

How is this not out there yet? Almost a day away now.

Also - interesting that Brian had a count-off before the 2nd verse of the '67 "Surf's Up". Could this have been the beginning of the basic track he intended to build upon?

And since my good friend runners has brought up "Surf's Up 1967" we might as well get to it. What do you all think that "Surf's Up 1967" was intended for? Wild Honey? Or the infamous ten-track SMiLE that was gonna come out after Smiley Smile. I guess since it was on the "County Air" reel or whatever that maybe that makes it a Wild Honey candidate, which would raise the level of the album even higher than it is right now, which is pretty high. As I said earlier, I think Smiley Smile with "Surf's Up" on it becomes a total classic, because I think "Surf's Up" was the ultimate release the album needed, just like Sgt. Pepper's needed "A Day in the Life". And imagine "Surf's Up" ending Wild Honey rather than "Mama Says". That would be pretty nuts. It would also make "How She Boogalooed It" sound even worse. I just wonder if it was just an off the cuff thing, but I imagine it wasn't, because he did like five takes apparently. My, how things would be different if it were on Wild Honey. Maybe it wouldn't repair their image totally, but I think it woulda been quite a big deal.
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: October 26, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »

And since my good friend runners has brought up "Surf's Up 1967" we might as well get to it. What do you all think that "Surf's Up 1967" was intended for? Wild Honey? Or the infamous ten-track SMiLE that was gonna come out after Smiley Smile. I guess since it was on the "County Air" reel or whatever that maybe that makes it a Wild Honey candidate, which would raise the level of the album even higher than it is right now, which is pretty high. As I said earlier, I think Smiley Smile with "Surf's Up" on it becomes a total classic, because I think "Surf's Up" was the ultimate release the album needed, just like Sgt. Pepper's needed "A Day in the Life". And imagine "Surf's Up" ending Wild Honey rather than "Mama Says". That would be pretty nuts. It would also make "How She Boogalooed It" sound even worse. I just wonder if it was just an off the cuff thing, but I imagine it wasn't, because he did like five takes apparently. My, how things would be different if it were on Wild Honey. Maybe it wouldn't repair their image totally, but I think it woulda been quite a big deal.

My guess is that he recorded this for the same reason he recorded the piano demo during Smile, because he knew the song was good and he wanted to make sure it existed on tape; not because he had immediate plans to release it, but because he knew deep down that he'd created something important, and he wanted to make sure that it survived.  And of course, he was never happy with the vocal on the 66 version, was he? Or do we think that was just his way of distancing himself from the song?   

Also, although I haven't heard the wild honey surfs up yet (only one more week, I can do this), its hard for me to imagine surfs up ending wild honey.  Wild honey is one of my favorite albums, but I just can't wrap my head around including surf's up on it.  What would one even make of an album like that?  Perchance once I get this boxset I'll burn myself a CD and find out :-)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: October 26, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

The samples being up on amazon make it so hard not to listen

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »

My guess is that he recorded this for the same reason he recorded the piano demo during Smile, because he knew the song was good and he wanted to make sure it existed on tape; not because he had immediate plans to release it, but because he knew deep down that he'd created something important, and he wanted to make sure that it survived.  And of course, he was never happy with the vocal on the 66 version, was he? Or do we think that was just his way of distancing himself from the song?   

That's my thought as well - he essentially recorded it either for kicks or, more likely, posterity.  At that point in time I doubt he ever thought the song would see the light of day, so getting it onto tape was a way of preserving something important, as you said.  As for why he did another version so soon after the December '66 version, I'm not sure it was so much that he was dissatisfied with the original vocal - I just think that he had some new ideas that he wanted to play around with, and he wanted to see how it would sound with a Wild Honey-era piano.  Songs can evolve over time, and maybe it's a simple as Brian wanted to lay it down to see how it would sound. 

Maybe the liner notes in the box will state otherwise, but I feel like this was never intended to be on an album.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: October 26, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »

I believe the song highlights just how close to Brian the whole Smile project was. I feel it was just hime playing a track he deep down knew was good, and quite simply liked - given that he could play it entirely from memory. While I can't climb into Brian's mind to figure it out, I have a hunch that SU was a type of unwind, perhaps even a glance back in a time of uncertainty.

It also makes me think that Brian's repeated condemnation of Smile through to 2004 was simply rattling off explanations which he hoped would offer the path of least resistance. You can't really argue with an artist who says he canned a project bcause he said he thought it was garbage.

I think the lyrics to the song "Mr Tanner" by Harry Chapin describes Brian's state the best:

Mister Tanner was a cleaner from a town in the Midwest.
And of all the cleaning shops around he'd made his the best.
But he also was a baritone who sang while hanging clothes.
He practiced scales while pressing tails and sang at local shows.
His friends and neighbors praised the voice that poured out from his throat.
They said that he should use his gift instead of cleaning coats.

But music was his life, it was not his livelihood,
and it made him feel so happy and it made him feel so good.
And he sang from his heart and he sang from his soul.
He did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole.

His friends kept working on him to try music out full time.
A big debut and rave reviews, a great career to climb.
Finally they got to him, he would take the fling.
A concert agent in New York agreed to have him sing.
And there were plane tickets, phone calls, money spent to rent the hall.
It took most of his savings but he gladly used them all.

But music was his life, it was not his livelihood,
He did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole.

The evening came, he took the stage, his face set in a smile.
And in the half filled hall the critics sat watching on the aisle.
But the concert was a blur to him, spatters of applause.
He did not know how well he sang, he only heard the flaws.
But the critics were concise, it only took four lines.
But no one could accuse them of being over kind.

(spoken) Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his
Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately
his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards.
His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it
consistently interesting.
(sung) Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order.

He came home to Dayton and was questioned by his friends.
Then he smiled and just said nothing and he never sang again,
excepting very late at night when the shop was dark and closed.
He sang softly to himself as he sorted through the clothes.
Music was his life, it was not his livelihood,
(And) he did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: October 26, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »

Yeah, I think it's obvious that he trashed the album so he wouldn't have to talk about it.  Melinda said somewhere (maybe on the blueboard) back when the album was coming out in 04 that Brian had told her privately over the years that it was the greatest thing he'd ever done.  At the same time he was telling journalists that it was drug music and he burnt the tapes. 

As far as why he re-recorded the song in '67.  Brian, in my honest humble i don't know what i'm talking about opinion, has always taken the BUSINESS of his songwriting very seriously.  This is a guy who doesn't throw anything away.  He might pop up with a song he wrote 40 years ago, at any moment.  He re-recorded it because he wanted a tape of it.  He collects his own tapes, his own songs.  He has a respectful, business like love for all his creations and although I'm sure he wouldn't be too keen on talking about it, i'll bet he remembers about everything he ever wrote. 

Somebody told a story once on here about meeting Brian at the airport or something in 1984 with a copy of the sheet music of "Still I Dream of It", and Brian asked him where he got that, then told him he'd never write anything that great again.  I think he's always been proud, even if he doesn't admit it, of the songs he wrote. 
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7856 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »

I wonder how many people are trying to piece together a complete '67 "Surf's Up" from the fragments from the BBC interview, Amazon, HMV, and whatever else is out there.... Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7857 on: October 26, 2011, 10:38:09 PM »

As for why he did another version so soon after the December '66 version...

Eleven months is soon ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »

I must admit I'm actually very impressed how no leak other than approved clips has happened. Should something appear now, I wouldn't even bother given that tomorrow I'll have the set in my hands.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:11 PM »

The Cool Water Version 2 sample on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWPVQ6/ref=dm_dp_trk39?ie=UTF8&qid=1319679731&sr=1-1

It moves into the piano coda that's reminiscent of Child! I've never heard another version with the coda, other than the Dada session from SOT. Has this been booted?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:47:59 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7860 on: October 26, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »

See you again next year when the rumored "Wild Honey" project nears completion. Then we can discuss that project.

It'll never happen, trust me.  Wink

Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: October 27, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWPVQ6/ref=dm_dp_trk39?ie=UTF8&qid=1319679731&sr=1-1

It moves into the piano coda that's reminiscent of Child! I've never heard another version with the coda, other than the Dada session from SOT. Has this been booted?

Wow, thanks, never heard it before. So now can we assume that it was, indeed, part of Dada (maybe the tag)?
Can't wait to hear the full version!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: October 27, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »

Can anybody explain the weird skip in the HMV Vega-Tables demo clip? Just a weird glitch?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: October 27, 2011, 12:16:17 AM »

See you again next year when the rumored "Wild Honey" project nears completion. Then we can discuss that project.

It'll never happen, trust me.  Wink

Right.
And everything post-Smile is of little interest, since it's history as it CAME to be, NOT history as it was MEANT to be...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7864 on: October 27, 2011, 12:30:08 AM »

From Facebook:

"Brian Wilson will make a very rare appearance November 1st at 7PM at Fingerprints Records in Long Beach, CA to sign copies of The Beach Boys Smile Sessions. “RSVP required. Please contact store at 562 433-4996 to pre-order "Smile" for priority entry. Space is limited.”"

Nah - space is infinite.  Grin

No it isn't, but it runs back into itself, like a ring compared to a sausage. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7865 on: October 27, 2011, 12:31:16 AM »

'Xactly. A word to all the folk here saying how crappy the flyins to "IIGS/BY" sound: anything you tried to do would sound at least 5 times crappier, cause you'd be working with, at best, 2nd generation audio and considerably less than top of the range software.

Right, but the fake fan mix that was on Youtube a week or two ago was much better sync'ed up.  It sounded great.  This one doesn't.

And "He Gives Speeches" is quite slow.. Not sure what happened there!

The version you had was sped up. This os the corect speed.

Checked it, IMHO that is not the tape speed in that the lead vocal was recorded. The bg vox sound natural, so maybe they were recorded in this tape speed and maybe the instruments too.

(I've always suspected that the deep grunted vox in the BR indian chant were recorded at a higher tape speed to make them sound deeper, but of course I have nothing to back that up.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: October 27, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »

'Xactly. A word to all the folk here saying how crappy the flyins to "IIGS/BY" sound: anything you tried to do would sound at least 5 times crappier, cause you'd be working with, at best, 2nd generation audio and considerably less than top of the range software.

Right, but the fake fan mix that was on Youtube a week or two ago was much better sync'ed up.  It sounded great.  This one doesn't.

And "He Gives Speeches" is quite slow.. Not sure what happened there!

The version you had was sped up. This os the corect speed.

Checked it, IMHO that is not the tape speed in that the lead vocal was recorded. The bg vox sound natural, so maybe they were recorded in this tape speed and maybe the instruments too.

(I've always suspected that the deep grunted vox in the BR indian chant were recorded at a higher tape speed to make them sound deeper, but of course I have nothing to back that up.)

I think that it's just a case of Brian singing in a weird tone, he had a very versatile voice. Speeding it up makes it sound even more unnatural, IMHO.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:11 AM »

I must admit I'm actually very impressed how no leak other than approved clips has happened. Should something appear now, I wouldn't even bother given that tomorrow I'll have the set in my hands.

it's really quite amazing nothing has leaked. Especially as it's in stores backrooms and warehouses as we speak.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: October 27, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

The longer 1 minute sample of SU '67 at Juno.uk reveals a blindingly brilliant, relaxed reading of the song. Just a staggering treasure delivered into our loving arms, unearthed thru providence and due diligence above and beyond the call of duty. Hallelujah!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: October 27, 2011, 01:33:04 AM »

The longer 1 minute sample of SU '67 at Juno.uk reveals a blindingly brilliant, relaxed reading of the song. Just a staggering treasure delivered into our loving arms, unearthed thru providence and due diligence above and beyond the call of duty. Hallelujah!

no way buddy, you're not going to get me to listen to that sample, no matter how lofty your praise

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: October 27, 2011, 01:56:14 AM »

no way buddy, you're not going to get me to listen to that sample, no matter how lofty your praise

Want some encouragement? That sample's quality is terrible, and it's awfully frustrating to hear it stops right in the middle. Better wait for the real thing!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: October 27, 2011, 02:20:10 AM »

Wow, thanks, never heard it before. So now can we assume that it was, indeed, part of Dada (maybe the tag)?
Can't wait to hear the full version!

Yeah it's fascinating to hear this more developed version of this dada 3rd section. It's so similar to the piano part of Child with the "whoah child" vocals (from the veg reel), in that it ends on the acsending piano note, leading me to believe it must have been a link piece, perhaps to the tag proper. What could have followed this section though? Maybe the water chant? The other vocals from the track (that can be heard on the Juno sample) sound remarkably similar to the water chant in places. I hope the rest of the track might shed more light on it.

And I hate to gloat but just received the following email from Sainsbury's Entertainment:

Your order item is in the post and should be with you soon. In case you need
them here are the details:

#0 "The Smile Sessions [Deluxe Box 5CD+2LP+2x7"]"
The Beach Boys; Music

Head Spin Head Spin Head Spin Head Spin Head Spin

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:21:24 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7872 on: October 27, 2011, 02:49:11 AM »

Remember CK saying Brian told her that "Woodshop" was the rebuilding after the fire ?  CD3/21 kinda does for that claim.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: October 27, 2011, 02:53:00 AM »

Remember CK saying Brian told her that "Woodshop" was the rebuilding after the fire ?  CD3/21 kinda does for that claim.

I believed it all along, and can't wait to resequence the elements suite thus:

Holidays
Wind Chimes
Fire
IWBA/Friday Night
Vega-Tables
Dada
GV

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7874 on: October 27, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »

Sorry, I was not being clear. It refutes that claim.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx