gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:08:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1736527 times)
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:18 AM »

The "Harv" demo is mono (precisely, it was recorded in mono), thus removing the piano isn't a possibility.

Ofcourse, I have no problem with the piano. Sounds quite nice with a piano in IIGS. I'm just thinking that the vocals could be synced to the backing track better.

This is the only thing that I'm bothered with. Otherwise, it sounds like an absolutely marvellous box set. The vocal montage is perhaps the best thing I've heard in my life. Haven't listened to 1967 Surf's Up yet though Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:58:31 AM by homeontherange » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: October 26, 2011, 03:23:32 AM »

The "Harv" demo is mono (precisely, it was recorded in mono), thus removing the piano isn't a possibility.

Ofcourse, I have no problem with the piano. Sounds quite nice with a piano in IIGS. I'm just thinking that the vocals could be synced to the backing track better.

This is the only thing that I'm bothered with. Otherwise, it sounds like an absolutely marvellous box set. The vocal montage is perhaps the best thing I've heard in my life. Haven't listened to 1967 Surf's Up yet though Smiley

I'm kind of with you on this. Loving everything I'm hearing from the snippets, save IIGS, which I will most likely swap out for the backing track. Barnyard with the fly ins I've quickly grown used to, much to my surprise. I think he's done a marvelous job with that one. And if the disc 1 Great Shape is the only track from the entire box that I'm disappointed with, it'll be a miracle, but from what I've heard  this may well be the case. Those sessions are stunning, and all in one place in uniform and glorious quality. I have to keep pinching myself ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7752 on: October 26, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »

Remember The Wizard Of Oz, and how it started in b&w then suddenly burst into technicolor ?

Clips - b&w

discs - color.

Thud

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: October 26, 2011, 05:36:44 AM »

Remember The Wizard Of Oz, and how it started in b&w then suddenly burst into technicolor ?

Clips - b&w

discs - color.

Thud

Brian's Trip

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: October 26, 2011, 05:57:21 AM »

Clips - b&w

discs - color.

Thud

Cannot wait!

The thought of grabbing all the sessions and putting them in a playlist and hitting random has my head spinning - the ultimate Smile experience.

And the session snippet for Vegetables Fade, anyone? The little glockenspiel counterpoint melody - Only BW can create music this bewitching.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7755 on: October 26, 2011, 06:12:12 AM »

And the session snippet for Vegetables Fade, anyone? The little glockenspiel counterpoint melody - Only BW can create music this bewitching.

I love that piece! You almost couldn't hear that little melody in the old bootlegs. Now it's clear as a bell!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: October 26, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »

Hate to sound wet blankety, but I'll agree with those saying the Brian vocal on "Surf's Up" lags pretty often. Everything else sounds purty dang good.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: October 26, 2011, 06:17:52 AM »

I'm so happy that this is happening, and that the sessions sound so good, and how much we can talk about after we've all heard it, AND what an amazing mix I will make using all this incredible music. And that this music is the best thing ever. And so on.  angel
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: October 26, 2011, 06:21:19 AM »

I'm gonna make an awesome DYLW mix, with the backing vocals and the backing track in stereo. Can't wait!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »

Also, I don't know how people thought the piano on IIGS and "Barnyard" could be removed or even really masked. The "technology" to do so will likely never exist. Again, only so much cn be done with some of these things, and these kids know what they're doing. You can't isolate everything, you can't create stereo mixes of everything.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: October 26, 2011, 06:28:14 AM »

Same thing happened in the Picture of Dorian Gray, when after most of the film we finally get to see the picture in the attic..... Shocked
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:30:04 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7761 on: October 26, 2011, 06:28:53 AM »

'Xactly. A word to all the folk here saying how crappy the flyins to "IIGS/BY" sound: anything you tried to do would sound at least 5 times crappier, cause you'd be working with, at best, 2nd generation audio and considerably less than top of the range software.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: October 26, 2011, 06:41:25 AM »

Also, two days and no leak D =

I guess these Capitol kids really are good with this.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: October 26, 2011, 06:45:57 AM »

'Xactly. A word to all the folk here saying how crappy the flyins to "IIGS/BY" sound: anything you tried to do would sound at least 5 times crappier, cause you'd be working with, at best, 2nd generation audio and considerably less than top of the range software.

Yeah, but you could at least sync the vocals so that it doesn't sound that sloppy. Here's the beat: da-da-da-dadada-da With vocals: da-fresh-da-en-da-air around my...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: October 26, 2011, 06:50:29 AM »

Been using Firefox for years, no problems.

That'll work too, of course.  It's just that Explorer 8 and this board don't get along.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: October 26, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »

I love that piece! You almost couldn't hear that little melody in the old bootlegs. Now it's clear as a bell!

I have the samples playing in sequence on the HMV site. Wow, the Dada sessions alone are worth the price of the box!!

104 Second Day: I never noticed that jewellery sound that corresponds with the bird sounds. Was that on the boots?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7766 on: October 26, 2011, 07:14:01 AM »

Also, two days and no leak D =

I guess these Capitol kids really are good with this.

That was the plan from day one.

Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »

I have the samples playing in sequence on the HMV site. Wow, the Dada sessions alone are worth the price of the box!!

104 Second Day: I never noticed that jewellery sound that corresponds with the bird sounds. Was that on the boots?
May have been burried in all of the murk of Secret SMiLE, off subject but I LOVE the beggining of track 55 (H&V Fade), that sounds unlike any take I have ever heard. I love Teeter too, anything with a slide whistle is great in my book!

No sign of "Crack the Whip" or "When I get mad, I just play my drums" though...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7768 on: October 26, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »

No sign of "Crack the Whip" or "When I get mad, I just play my drums" though...

Those acetates vanished a long time ago.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: October 26, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »

I'm a broke college student who is only getting the 2-cd set on November 1. But i just found out my parents ordered the box set last week for my christmas present, so this week just got even better for me! Grin
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:01:16 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7770 on: October 26, 2011, 08:39:45 AM »

The sax before the vocals in Great Shape is really weird. BWPS and most of the boots have it after.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »

I'm a broke college student who is only getting the 2-cd set on November 1. But i just found out my parents ordered the box set last week for my christmas present, so this week just got even better for me! Grin

Can you behave until after Santa's been…?  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »

Right, but the fake fan mix that was on Youtube a week or two ago was much better sync'ed up.  It sounded great.  This one doesn't.

And "He Gives Speeches" is quite slow.. Not sure what happened there!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:28 AM »

Can you behave until after Santa's been…?  Grin
Don't think so, I will definitely search every area of my house for that box.... Evil
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:07:44 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »

Longer samples of the 2-cd version (1 minute long), but worse quality, available here http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/438651-01.htm
That new Child vocal  Shocked
And Barnshine is great!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 315 316 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx