gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:47:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 313 314 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728497 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: October 25, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »

I only listened to the samples of tracks 1-19 on disc 1. For the most part, i'm very pleased with what i've heard. I'm just happy that i can finally listen to some of these tunes without feeling like i have wax in my ears. I really like the Fall Breaks vocals on Fire and i love that little Carl vocal bit on Surf's Up.
As for things i wasn't too pleased with...I don't like how they crossfaded "Plymouth Rock Roll over" into Bicycle Rider. I know the crossfade is barely there, but still, that moment when the vocals end and the BR theme starts up was always one of my favourite SMiLE pieces. Like others have said, i think the vocals in IIGS could have come in a split second earlier. Sounds a little off to me. I understand the intent to put those very brief vocals on Look, but it just seems pointless to me. I don't mind them. They just don't add anything to the song, for me...and i can't imagine Joe Public thinking otherwise.
Other than those very minor complaints, i loved everything i heard. Man, i just want this week to fly by.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: October 25, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »

OK, if you like Brak from Cartoon Planet, you will like "Teeter Totter Love"! It's actually pretty fun. Yes, terrible in a technical vocal sense, but still...ridiculous and fun.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: October 25, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »

4 days over here  Grin

And 6 here

I think this board will be unusually quiet for awhile next week

I say we should get this thread to 400 pages by next week!  Who's with me on this?!?!?!?

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: October 25, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »

4 days over here  Grin

And 6 here

I say we should get this thread to 400 pages by next week!  Who's with me on this?!?!?!?

Grin

We would need Phil  back for that  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: October 25, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »

I feel that it is neccessary to very briefly return, to clarify, so that one member's fictional statement doesn't spread like wildfire. I had no involvement whatsoever in the "Purple Chick" "Smile" CD.

As for my statement that Capitol's release is Mark Linett's "Fan Mix", in one respect, that is unquestionably true, because Mr.Linett is employing the very same technique that "Purple Chick" did(albeit with superior tape sources) when he merges elements of two separate takes, which were not originally intended to be heard together(example: taking vocals from a radio interview performance, then synchronizing them to, and overdubbing them onto a vocal-less backing track)

The major difference between this and purplechick being that this is being released by The Beach Boys. That removes it from "fan mix" territory as far as I'm concerned.

Quite right.  The other fan mixes were made by people who had free freign to do whatever they wanted.  Mark didn't.  This isn't Mark's persoal interpretation of SMiLE.  He had to do what his bosses wanted.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: October 25, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »

I feel that it is neccessary to very briefly return, to clarify, so that one member's fictional statement doesn't spread like wildfire. I had no involvement whatsoever in the "Purple Chick" "Smile" CD.

As for my statement that Capitol's release is Mark Linett's "Fan Mix", in one respect, that is unquestionably true, because Mr.Linett is employing the very same technique that "Purple Chick" did(albeit with superior tape sources) when he merges elements of two separate takes, which were not originally intended to be heard together(example: taking vocals from a radio interview performance, then synchronizing them to, and overdubbing them onto a vocal-less backing track)

The major difference between this and purplechick being that this is being released by The Beach Boys. That removes it from "fan mix" territory as far as I'm concerned.  It's not a fan-mix.

Quite right.  The other fan mixes were made by people who had free freign to do whatever they wanted.  Mark didn't.  This isn't Mark's personal interpretation of SMiLE.  He had to do what his bosses wanted.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: October 25, 2011, 12:55:09 PM »

Does anyone else think the part 2 of ILTSDD master take is actually different to the part 2 that's on disc 1 and that we're used to hear since the bootlegs and the box set? That one seems much faster...
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: October 25, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »

Does anyone else think the part 2 of ILTSDD master take is actually different to the part 2 that's on disc 1 and that we're used to hear since the bootlegs and the box set? That one seems much faster...

Yes, you're right. Strange.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: October 25, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »

Never was bothered by Phil as much as some others. At least his comments have generally been about Beach Boys related topics.

I will say this, though -- seven days.

Seven days.

Wow.

4 days over here  Grin

And 6 here

2 days here :D (or really 1.5, oh man, can't wait!)

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: October 25, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

Never was bothered by Phil as much as some others. At least his comments have generally been about Beach Boys related topics.

Seven days.

Wow.

4 days over here  Grin

And 6 here

DANGIT!!!! Do you people live in the future or something!? Shocked Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7710 on: October 25, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »

Yes, you're right. Strange.

They strangest thing is that they call it the 'master take' but actually don't use it! There might be some info about it in the book.
tonefloat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: October 25, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

Today I went through my emails and discovered I have bought : 2 boxsets, 1 single Cd,
2 Double Albums, and 5 Ltd Double Cd's. All from diffrent webshops. Damn! Where to hide next week? That heartpounding raw emotion took over. Will I get closure? I goshdarnit' hope so.   .....Ps TTL is the funniest song I have heard in a long long time. Made me and my workmates rollonthefloor..... Weltklasse.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: October 25, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »

Seven days.

Wow.

4 days over here  Grin

And 6 here

DANGIT!!!! Do you people live in the future or something!? Shocked Grin

Well, the release date is the 28th here in Norway, but the store gets the release the day before that, and I know the store owner :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »

Today I went through my emails and discovered I have bought : 2 boxsets, 1 single Cd,
2 Double Albums, and 5 Ltd Double Cd's. All from diffrent webshops. Damn! Where to hide next week? That heartpounding raw emotion took over. Will I get closure? I goshdarnit' hope so.   .....Ps TTL is the funniest song I have heard in a long long time. Made me and my workmates rollonthefloor..... Weltklasse.

wow, ultimate fan right here

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: October 25, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

OK, if you like Brak from Cartoon Planet, you will like "Teeter Totter Love"! It's actually pretty fun. Yes, terrible in a technical vocal sense, but still...ridiculous and fun.

THREE HAMS WILL KILL HIM!
THREE HAMS WILL KILL HIM
HE SHOULDN'T EAT...THREE HAMS!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7715 on: October 25, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »

Was the stream you heard (you lucky, lucky b@Ł74Łd!) of the 2discs or 5 disc set?

5 disc.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:21 PM »

Was just thinking about the path that led Brian to the point where he would allow the release of his most personal music the day after tomorrow.

In 2001 he performed Heroes and Villains and stunned the audience by tagging a vocal snippet from Smile onto the end of it. Today it seems inconsequential - then it was a revelation.

Later in the year he performed Pet Sounds live and in the set which included a collection of his favourites he perfomed several songs which he told the crowd "would make you smile". Eyebrows were once again raised.

In 2003 the major announcement was made that he would debut a live performance of Smile in Europe starting in London. Initial doubts as to whether it would even happen were rapidly eclipsed by conjecture as to what exactly would be played. On February 24, 2004 he presents Smile in the concerts second set. To rave reviews and climaxed with a standing ovation that lasted several minutes.

In September of the same year a studio recording of the album as performed in concert is released world-wide. It is considered by some to be his final word on the matter.

But... around the start of 2011 Al Jardine lets slip that the original Smile sessions would be released later in the year.

Despite doubts by a number of fans the rumours become official statements from the band and Capitol. Several slated release dates are shuffled about.

A final release date of november 1 is given, October 28 in some countries . and that my friends is the day after tomorrow...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:34:33 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Jason
« Reply #7717 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »

In 2001 he performed Heroes and Villains and stunned the audience by tagging a vocal snippet from Smile onto the end of it. Today it seems inconsequential - then it was a revelation.

Later in the year he performed Pet Sounds live and in the set which included a collection of his favourites he perfomed several songs which he told the crowd "would make you smile". Eyebrows were once again raised.

Actually, in 2001 he did not play Pet Sounds live at all.

In 2003 the major announcement was made that he would debut a live performance of Smile in Europe starting in London. Initial doubts as to whether it would even happen were rapidly eclipsed by conjecture as to what exactly would be played. On February 24, 2004 he presents Smile in the concerts second set. To rave reviews and climaxed with a standing ovation that lasted several minutes.

It was actually February 20, 2004.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: October 25, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »

Plus brian listened to it, gave his input, and his approval of this album version of SMiLE.
but brian approves everything as long as it sounds commercial
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: October 25, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »

Actually, in 2001 he did not play Pet Sounds live at all.

It was actually February 20, 2004.

Right you are...tell me is it just my browser that goes schizo when I reach a certain number of lines? I cannot see a thing I type thus  the numerous errors. Even this addition has been typed blind and its damned annoying having top go in and correct stuff I cant even see..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:12:18 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »

See what I mean above. I give up correcting the corrections of corrections. The Real Beach Boys' corrections to my post will do. I seriously cant be stuffed going in and making more mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

Plus brian listened to it, gave his input, and his approval of this album version of SMiLE.
Alan Boyd and Mark Linett also did years of research about Brian's work on SMiLE back in the day to get the right version of SMiLE from these incomplete tapes. Brian listened to the tapes and gave input on the song mixes and order of the songs, which is enough approval for this be the official version of SMiLE.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: October 25, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »

More like Brian's people

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: October 25, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »

More like Brian's people

I heard a condition of their marriage was that Brian retroactively alter all names in his songs (male or female) to "Melinda" until Mike Love accused her of attempting to get lyric credits and threatened to have Rocky Pamplin beat her to close to death and then pose nude while having a moustache for photos and force Melinda to view said nude mustachioed photos imo

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: October 25, 2011, 06:44:09 PM »

Friday the 28th of October 3pm, I will walk out of JB Hi-fi with the two cd set.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 313 314 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx