gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:42:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 311 312 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735372 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7650 on: October 25, 2011, 03:37:56 AM »

OK... interesting. Just listened to the HMV clip of "Barnyard" on disc 2.

It's missing all the stereo vocals.  Shocked

Sorry not with you. Surely the vocals are on a separate track and Mark just removed them? Or was Barnyard one of the ones sourced from acetate?

Does this mean we don't have a clean version of Barnyard without the Harv vocals?

As for the HMV snippets. My god, listening through good headphones and just knocked out at the sound quality. That vocal montage is going to be cool.

I was hoping the child snippet would include some of the verse but we only get a second or so. Can't wait to hear that in clear quality.

No - not the Harv 'demo' but the track on CD2 subtitled "Barnyard" (track 4). On the HMV clips, just the track in mono... on the review stream, same, but with stereo bvs and animal noises.

I'm hearing the animal noises but not the vox. They're all on the Disc 1 version but that ain't the same, though thee are only clips… maybe there's more to be heard?

Anyone found the Water Chant yet?

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7651 on: October 25, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »

How odd....

I'm not listening to these, btw. In fact, I think i'm going to bury my computer for a week.

Be sure to mark the spot well. I had a rather distressing experience trying to locate something I buried a few years ago...

I guess we can rule out that being the Phil Cohen hatchet  Smiley

On the wall, mounted and spotlighted.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7652 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:11 AM »

OK... interesting. Just listened to the HMV clip of "Barnyard" on disc 2.

It's missing all the stereo vocals.  Shocked

Sorry not with you. Surely the vocals are on a separate track and Mark just removed them? Or was Barnyard one of the ones sourced from acetate?

Does this mean we don't have a clean version of Barnyard without the Harv vocals?

As for the HMV snippets. My god, listening through good headphones and just knocked out at the sound quality. That vocal montage is going to be cool.

I was hoping the child snippet would include some of the verse but we only get a second or so. Can't wait to hear that in clear quality.

No - not the Harv 'demo' but the track on CD2 subtitled "Barnyard" (track 4). On the HMV clips, just the track in mono... on the review stream, same, but with stereo bvs and animal noises.

I'm hearing the animal noises but not the vox. They're all on the Disc 1 version but that ain't the same, though thee are only clips… maybe there's more to be heard?

Anyone found the Water Chant yet?

Oops... yes, there are animal fx... but no bvs, which come in on at 0.23 on the review stream and carry through to the fade.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7653 on: October 25, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »

People being introduced to the music, people who don't own any "Smile" bootlegs(or few "Smile" bootlegs): these people will be delighted by the box set
........ but, to the avid collectors who have collected every circulating note of "Smile" music? Their responses will be mixed.

Yeah, this arsehole is totally a troll. Please re-ban this moron!!

I woke up to the great news that we now have all these snippets....

and the bad news that these abhorrent bullies have been up to their tricks again. You are the sort of person who, in days gone by would have spent their sundays at the public executions with a picnic lunch.

Go back and see what Phil said. How on earth did it warrant this response?

Please people, or those of you with any semblence of graciousness...LETS STAND UP TO THESE BULLIES. They are a minority.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: October 25, 2011, 04:05:36 AM »

People being introduced to the music, people who don't own any "Smile" bootlegs(or few "Smile" bootlegs): these people will be delighted by the box set
........ but, to the avid collectors who have collected every circulating note of "Smile" music? Their responses will be mixed.

I woke up to the great news that we now have all these snippets....

and the bad news that these abhorrent bullies have been up to their tricks again. You are the sort of person who, in days gone by would have spent their sundays at the public executions with a picnic lunch.

Go back and see what Phil said. How on earth did it warrant this response?

Please people, or those of you with any semblence of graciousness...LETS STAND UP TO THESE BULLIES. They are a minority.

Like I said earlier you need to put all his posts in context.. You can't just "wake up" and read the last few posts.. He has been banned from several boards for pumping out the same stuff. If you go into his profile and read his last posts the tune will be the same..
He said it will never come out.. then it was a hoax.. then it was not coming out.. then capitol were going to pulll the pin.. then it was not coming out.. then it was coming out but it was crap cause it did not have the promo... then it was...... but blah bblah.................
The guy paid good coin for BOOTLEGS.. He made a mix.. He is filthy, he wanted his few years of fame aka Purple Chick etc.

THe Beach Boys recorded SMiLE and it was shelved, those recording sessions have now been compiled and released officially by the surviving members of The Beach Boys..

END

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: October 25, 2011, 04:17:03 AM »

We get it. We were all here for his last tyrade. Heck, I was calling for him to be banned.....but back then he was making distinctly negative comments with every post - every 5 minutes. And I understand his latest comments were geared towards pissing people off - but they were subtle enough to ignore, IMO.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7656 on: October 25, 2011, 04:22:36 AM »

No, he's been banned from other boards because people keep following him around bullying him.

Here's what I said on another thread. I'll reprint it and keep reprinting it, because it's what has happened

I hate the group mentality, where just because several "alpha male" posters here have turned on someone, everyone feels it's OK to take a flying kick at his prostrate form. It's abhorrent animal behaviour, which basically translates as "glad it's not me, better prove my worthiness by joining the winning side"

I hate conflict, I hate falling out with people. I just want to come on here, chat about the BB's and have a laugh. But bullying has always made me sick, and one must stand up to bullies. If now I become persona non grata for not towing the line then so be it. Start bullying me, go on. I can assure you my give-a-fuckometer will barely register.

Honestly, all the guy has to do is print "hello, I had eggs for breakfast, and he'd get stamped on. So he's negative?

There is room on here for negative personalities surely. Hate to think what would happen if Brian Wilson circa 1974 or 1980 came on here.

If you don't like his posts, ignore them, just don't become a nasty, snivelling cowardly little bully hiding behind a computer screen.

rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: October 25, 2011, 05:01:44 AM »

No, he's been banned from other boards because people keep following him around bullying him.

Here's what I said on another thread. I'll reprint it and keep reprinting it, because it's what has happened

I hate the group mentality, where just because several "alpha male" posters here have turned on someone, everyone feels it's OK to take a flying kick at his prostrate form. It's abhorrent animal behaviour, which basically translates as "glad it's not me, better prove my worthiness by joining the winning side"

I hate conflict, I hate falling out with people. I just want to come on here, chat about the BB's and have a laugh. But bullying has always made me sick, and one must stand up to bullies. If now I become persona non grata for not towing the line then so be it. Start bullying me, go on. I can assure you my give-a-f*ckometer will barely register.

Honestly, all the guy has to do is print "hello, I had eggs for breakfast, and he'd get stamped on. So he's negative?

There is room on here for negative personalities surely. Hate to think what would happen if Brian Wilson circa 1974 or 1980 came on here.

If you don't like his posts, ignore them, just don't become a nasty, snivelling cowardly little bully hiding behind a computer screen.

Well put IHA. Phil is a decent guy. I used to trade Cheap Trick stuff with him. I never saw any unusual negativity or behavior issues as what is implied. It's pretty sad to see how fashionable it is to bash this guy for having a skeptical style. Big deal. That's his contribution to the dialect. Not everyone functions through the same lens.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: October 25, 2011, 05:06:58 AM »

You're on the money, IHA. Phil Cohen is negative, sure, but he is not 'scum'. Just another BB's fan. He's entitled to his opinions and his contributions here just like everyone else, and I don't think the one sodding comment he posted here warrants that kind of reaction. It's a sodding messageboard.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: October 25, 2011, 05:12:59 AM »

I can understand the posters that see Phil as an annoyance (for I am one of them) - his posts a few months ago were negative as hell....Nothing wrong with an opinion - but he made his opinion known every 10 minutes.

However, I don't see how he did anything wrong yesterday....there was no need for the name-calling and calls for him to be banned....like IHA said, it's just bullying.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7660 on: October 25, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

Thanks guys.

Hope I can count on your support when I'm blacklisted  LOL

Let's get back to these wonderful snippets eh?

See you on the Spoiler thread!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7661 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:32 AM »

Okay...so regarding restraining oneself from any kind of previews...

Last week I asked the mrs. if the 1967 "Surf's Up" leaks, should we grab/listen to it? She said, without hesitation, absolutely. Why? Life's too short. I get her point. Yes, we're scheduled to have this set in our hands a week from today, but a week is long enough to be too risky. What if I go deaf? Or end up in the hospital in a coma for a month and have to wait even longer? Or worse? Or what if something stupid happens and the release gets yanked? (oh, memories of c*ckteases from Capitol in the '90s only to get pulled at seemingly the last minute...) Or every retailer that carries it suddenly shuts down (yes, including Amazon)? Or the "play" buttons fall off every CD player I can get to and Exact Audio Copy refuses to work?

The only reason I stopped listening to the previews last night is that I'm in school, and I have homework I need to get done! (Life's too short to risk that master's degree, too.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: October 25, 2011, 05:52:41 AM »

masters in what outta curiousity
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: October 25, 2011, 06:04:40 AM »

Be nice, d00dz. >: (

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
theCOD
« Reply #7664 on: October 25, 2011, 06:09:33 AM »

I don't care that Phil is negative. I'm sick of opening this thread to find that he has derailed an interesting and/or fun conversation by droning on and on about the same crap he has posted here since he joined. It's impossible to ignore when it dominates several pages of the thread, and when it doesn't he just repeats himself until someone bites. If he ever has anything new to say I'd be more than happy to hear it, but until then he's just a troll who sucks the fun out of this place.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7665 on: October 25, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »

I don't care that Phil is negative. I'm sick of opening this thread to find that he has derailed an interesting and/or fun conversation by droning on and on about the same crap he has posted here since he joined. It's impossible to ignore when it dominates several pages of the thread, and when it doesn't he just repeats himself until someone bites. If he ever has anything new to say I'd be more than happy to hear it, but until then he's just a troll who sucks the fun out of this place.

Oh the irony, I love it.  LOL

Seriously, look back and you'll find two posts from Phil, and about 50 from you dirty little cowardly bully boys badmouthing him.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:36:26 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42:50 AM »

Oh wait, no. Phil Cohen isn't an artist. Brian Wilson is. And he's put out TWO versions of SMiLE that are making people very happy. Apparently not you though, Dikhead.

Quotes are randomly chosen, so don't feel personally addressed right away.

Tha last 24 hours has yet again brought up the worst in some of us. So Phil Cohen was banned, and now he is un-banned. Some agree, others don't, most don't care. And what surprises me the most is that some of us here think that because Phil shows his opinion again (granted, not shared by a lot of us, but - hey - we all have our own opinions), we think that's an excuse to radically attack him in a by calling names.

And to be honest I find the tone in which some have responded many times negative and offending than Phil did. As a few have already said: if you don't like someone elses opinion, ignore it, don't respond, or - if you do - try not to make a fool of yourself and respond in a proper way.
If you think this is the way to impress the moderator, or them to fulfill all your wishes, you're wrong. And if you think we should deal with it, simply because it's just like the real life, I don't buy that either; I'm sure that if you try this at home or at work, the response won't be too positive either.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: October 25, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »

I really love all the samples from TSS. Just to hear everything in good quality after years of bootlegs is great! One thing I noticed immediately is how good CIFOTM sounds. it sounds much better than the small sample from Radio 4.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7668 on: October 25, 2011, 06:47:29 AM »

And some new stuff eh? Can't wait to start building the definitive Heroes & Villians  LOL
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »

Okay...so regarding restraining oneself from any kind of previews...

Last week I asked the mrs. if the 1967 "Surf's Up" leaks, should we grab/listen to it? She said, without hesitation, absolutely. Why? Life's too short. I get her point. Yes, we're scheduled to have this set in our hands a week from today, but a week is long enough to be too risky. What if I go deaf? Or end up in the hospital in a coma for a month and have to wait even longer? Or worse? Or what if something stupid happens and the release gets yanked? (oh, memories of c*ckteases from Capitol in the '90s only to get pulled at seemingly the last minute...) Or every retailer that carries it suddenly shuts down (yes, including Amazon)? Or the "play" buttons fall off every CD player I can get to and Exact Audio Copy refuses to work?

The only reason I stopped listening to the previews last night is that I'm in school, and I have homework I need to get done! (Life's too short to risk that master's degree, too.)

I disagree; really, if you went into a coma, or went deaf all of a sudden, not having listened to the Smile Sessions is the least of your problems. I say, wait it out, and then let the music flow as a complete experience when you get those CDs/LPs in your hands.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
JDShadow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:48 AM »

..on Surf's Up--"Canvass the town and brush the backdrop"  Am I going deaf or is that Carl from the '71 version?

..the more I hear it ,though totally unexpected, I believe adding Carl was a brilliant touch

Knowing Brian signed off on everything, including the slight vocals on Look, I have to say whatever he thinks is ok is more than ok with me.

Great work Misters Linett and Boyd--and of course kudos to the Mozart of Pop Music--I've waited way too long...

It's Automatic...
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: October 25, 2011, 07:01:08 AM »

I don't care that XXX is negative. I'm sick of opening this thread to find that he has derailed an interesting and/or fun conversation by droning on and on about the same crap he has posted here since he joined. It's impossible to ignore when it dominates several pages of the thread, and when it doesn't he just repeats himself until someone bites. If he ever has anything new to say I'd be more than happy to hear it, but until then he's just a troll who sucks the fun out of this place.
I think this could be said about many regular posters. People repeat themselves, have a fixed view, support an ideology, etc. That is part of human nature. While you read posts, just "scan" and ignore those that you find boring, pointless, or offensive. It's like reading a newspaper. You won't read every article. Belittling someone is a waste of your energy and potentially damaging to your target. It was already sad that a former member with suicidal tendencies was told to off himself. That is a far cry from discussing things like "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Vega-Tables", "Surf's Up" and the like. Let the Mods handle those who are out of line.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:02:05 AM by rattfink » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #7672 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:19 AM »

I feel that it is neccessary to very briefly return, to clarify, so that one member's fictional statement doesn't spread like wildfire. I had no involvement whatsoever in the "Purple Chick" "Smile" CD.

As for my statement that Capitol's release is Mark Linett's "Fan Mix", in one respect, that is unquestionably true, because Mr.Linett is employing the very same technique that "Purple Chick" did(albeit with superior tape sources) when he merges elements of two separate takes, which were not originally intended to be heard together(example: taking vocals from a radio interview performance, then synchronizing them to, and overdubbing them onto a vocal-less backing track)
Jason
« Reply #7673 on: October 25, 2011, 07:45:30 AM »

Must admit, just from the sample alone, Teeter Totter Love sounds great for something sourced from an acetate. Don't know exactly how much work Mark had to do to clean it up, but he did well with it!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: October 25, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »

I feel that it is neccessary to very briefly return, to clarify, so that one member's fictional statement doesn't spread like wildfire. I had no involvement whatsoever in the "Purple Chick" "Smile" CD.

As for my statement that Capitol's release is Mark Linett's "Fan Mix", in one respect, that is unquestionably true, because Mr.Linett is employing the very same technique that "Purple Chick" did(albeit with superior tape sources) when he merges elements of two separate takes, which were not originally intended to be heard together(example: taking vocals from a radio interview performance, then synchronizing them to, and overdubbing them onto a vocal-less backing track)

The major difference between this and purplechick being that this is being released by The Beach Boys. That removes it from "fan mix" territory as far as I'm concerned.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 311 312 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx