gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 12:14:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 298 299 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1740397 times)
Jason
« Reply #7325 on: October 21, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »

OMG -- that was for real!  Shocked

Still can't believe that's $700. It barely even lights up  LOL

Still, I nominate Brian to be the next Billy Mays  Smiley

"THIS BOX SET COMES WITH NOT ONE, NOT TWO, NOT THREE, NOT FOUR, BUT FIVE, COUNT 'EM, FIVE CDS! AND PLUS, NOT ONE BUT TWO LONG PLAYING VINYL RECORDS! AND AS A SPECIAL BONUS, NOT ONE BUT TWO 45 RPM SINGLE RECORDS! AND ON TOP OF THAT ALL - WE'RE NOT FINISHED YET - A LAVISH LIGHT-UP PACKAGE AND BOOKLET WITH ALL MANNER OF USELESS INFORMATION FOR ALL YOU SMILE-O-HOLICS! ONLY FOR THE LOW, LOW, LOW PRICE OF $699.95! CALL NOW!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: October 21, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »

He seemed excited when it lit up. LOL

I was about to say the same, he seems genuinely pleased.
Good for him that he is at peace with the original sessions and is enthusiastic about box Smiley, unlike that incident in the early 1980s when he ripped a fan's SMiLE slick.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: October 21, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »

OMG -- that was for real!  Shocked

Still can't believe that's $700. It barely even lights up  LOL

Still, I nominate Brian to be the next Billy Mays  Smiley

"THIS BOX SET COMES WITH NOT ONE, NOT TWO, NOT THREE, NOT FOUR, BUT FIVE, COUNT 'EM, FIVE CDS! AND PLUS, NOT ONE BUT TWO LONG PLAYING VINYL RECORDS! AND AS A SPECIAL BONUS, NOT ONE BUT TWO 45 RPM SINGLE RECORDS! AND ON TOP OF THAT ALL - WE'RE NOT FINISHED YET - A LAVISH LIGHT-UP PACKAGE AND BOOKLET WITH ALL MANNER OF USELESS INFORMATION FOR ALL YOU SMILE-O-HOLICS! ONLY FOR THE LOW, LOW, LOW PRICE OF $699.95! CALL NOW!"

LOL LOL LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: October 21, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »

Good for him that he is at peace with the original sessions and is enthusiastic about box Smiley, unlike that incident in the early 1980s when he ripped a fan's SMiLE slick.

Whaaaat? Tell me more about this incident!
pobbard
Smiley Smile Associate

My ultimate guilty pleasure

View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »

As the entire review stream was apparently watermarked and personally traceable, any one who leaked the set might as well have thrown away all of their possessions and run into the sea naked.

The real question is: Does the watermarking enhance or detract from Brian's original vision? Would SMILE have included the "watermark" effect back in 1966/1967? Brian was ahead of his time, after all. Will real fans seek out "watermarked" copies of TSS years from now because the watermarking process helps add clarity and/or confusion to the mix? Will there be watermarked- and non-watermarked-fanmixes?

Are we sure it's even watermarking at all, and not a hidden message embedded by Brian decades ago!? Has anyone asked VDP or Durrie Parks or Marilyn or Paul McCartney about this??

Roll Eyes
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: October 21, 2011, 11:01:08 AM »

Whaaaat? Tell me more about this incident!
When Brian was in really bad shape touring with the Beach Boys in the early 1980s, a fan tried to get Brian to sign a SMiLE slick and Brian was unnerved to the point of ripping the slick.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:03:02 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #7331 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »

As the entire review stream was apparently watermarked and personally traceable, any one who leaked the set might as well have thrown away all of their possessions and run into the sea naked.

The real question is: Does the watermarking enhance or detract from Brian's original vision? Would SMILE have included the "watermark" effect back in 1966/1967? Brian was ahead of his time, after all. Will real fans seek out "watermarked" copies of TSS years from now because the watermarking process helps add clarity and/or confusion to the mix? Will there be watermarked- and non-watermarked-fanmixes?

Are we sure it's even watermarking at all, and not a hidden message embedded by Brian decades ago!? Has anyone asked VDP or Durrie Parks or Marilyn or Paul McCartney about this??

Roll Eyes

If you play all of the material backwards and OOPS the signal there's a hidden message from Michael in which he talks positively about Smile.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: October 21, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »

Hilarious!
Thanks!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: October 21, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »

Brian's funny and adorable in that video.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: October 21, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

Oh hey, look, another bit of promo that uses the biggest single of all time. Good job.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7335 on: October 21, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »

I wonder if that is the way when he was enthusiastic about something in the SMiLE era. "Look at that! It Lights up!" - "And the chicken is wearing tennis shoes!"

I imagine him quite like that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:03 PM »

I know I'm going to get many stupid looks, but just to confirm my thoughts, who sings lead on He gives Speeches?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: October 21, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »

Brian and he also does the really high background wails too.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »

I wonder if that is the way when he was enthusiastic about something in the SMiLE era. "Look at that! It Lights up!" - "And the chicken is wearing tennis shoes!"

I imagine him quite like that.

In some ways kind of the saddest thing about the demise of SMiLE and Brian's retreat from public life is he had such a wonderful buoyant personality during the period when SMiLE was being recorded.  Ever read that word association game that Melody Maker played with him in the fall of 1966?  His responses are great!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: October 21, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »

For those who would rather read interviews, than listen to them - here's a link to a transcript of part one of Mark Linett's interview with Icon Fetch about the upcoming SMiLE Sessions.

http://bit.ly/ns3Mok

FYI, I'll be posting my talk with co-producer Alan Boyd at the first of the week.  I've also interviewed author Jon Stebbins, who wrote "The Beach Boys FAQ" and will post that one soon.

Enjoy.

Tony
Icon Fetch
www.iconfetch.com

THANK YOU TONY!!

"we still had a tough time fitting everything we that wanted into the box.   We could have easily expanded to another CD or two....."

(drool, slobber......)

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: October 21, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »

Another question - why are people worried that brians mono mix of CITFOTM not being included. I understand the historical significance (I would ratehr it be there), but what else is tehre about it that makes it worthy for inclusion. Or is it just the fact that its Brians original mix?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: October 21, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »

Another question - why are people worried that brians mono mix of CITFOTM not being included. I understand the historical significance (I would ratehr it be there), but what else is tehre about it that makes it worthy for inclusion. Or is it just the fact that its Brians original mix?

Legit? May as well have tossed that alternate "Heroes And Villains" in the trash back when it was discovered, according to this logic.

Naw, srsly tho, it gives us a window into what he was thinking back in those days, even if it may have only been what he was thinking on that particular day. Historical significance and for comprehensiveness' sake, too. That's the one exclusion that bothers me just a bit.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: October 21, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asmWlyiccMI&feature=youtu.be

HI, BRIAN WILSON HERE WITH AN AMAZING PRODUCT!  LOL

It just occurred to me - I wonder if that thing's a fire hazard if left on for too long Sad

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: October 21, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asmWlyiccMI&feature=youtu.be

HI, BRIAN WILSON HERE WITH AN AMAZING PRODUCT!  LOL

Just watched this again.  Does this remind anyone else of the dozen of amateur unboxings of various cds/dvds that are on YouTube.  He seems like a kid in a candy shop.  "Look what I got in the mail today!!!"

Great times.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7344 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »

He seems really uncomfortable actually. he's shaking pretty bad.

I'm listening to BWPS right now. I can't wait until I don't have to anymore.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:14:17 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7345 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:29 PM »

Because it's a period, coherent edit and mono mix as opposed to something pieced together later from fragments ?  Because it's very good ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: October 22, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »

Anyone planning any SMiLE listening parties? I'm having one here in Baltimore on Saturday, November 5. Any and all are welcome to PM me if interested.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: October 22, 2011, 12:57:47 AM »

It's like the calm before the storm in here

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: October 22, 2011, 01:02:05 AM »

He seems really uncomfortable actually. he's shaking pretty bad.
He also shakes an imaginary hand.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: October 22, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

Because it's a period, coherent edit and mono mix as opposed to something pieced together later from fragments ?  Because it's very good ?

OH NOW YOU'RE JUST TAUNTING US

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 298 299 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx