gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:00:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 [264] 265 266 267 268 269 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728533 times)
thevigilanteoflove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: September 13, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »

This is my SMiLE plan for November 1st that I have carefully planned out.*

1. Wake up at 6:45 A.M.
2. Eat a breakfast of champions.
3. Shower, deodorize, brush 'em like crazy.
4. Go to my one class for the day at 8:30.
5. Return home around 10:00 A.M. and hope that UPS has arrived by then.
6. If not, watch recorded episodes of Phineas and Ferb on TV to keep my mind off of SMiLE and provide myself with a good laugh, covering my probable true feelings of anxiety.
7. When my 2CD set does finally arrive and is in my hands, I will grab a bottle of cold Diet Coke that will be waiting for me in the fridge and race upstairs to the room with my CD stereo system. I will close the window and turn off my noisy fan.
8. I will place disc one in the tray, close it, and push play. The volume will be set at 32 of forty, a comfortably loud level.
9. I will listen in awe to Our Prayer through Good Vibrations, possibly crying a few times throughout (I know I will cry during Surf's Up).
10. Then I will rip the two CDs to my laptop and proceed to be thoroughly engulfed by the music for the rest of the day, week, month, etc.

*I will not wait for the UPS man if he does not show up on November 1st. I will have to download the music that day, although I don't want to have to do that with the CD on the way, and a carefully planned out itinerary already in place. I just couldn't sit here and do nothing if I know that the music is readily available.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »

11/1/2011

1. Wake up from nightmare where Brian is sitting nude in a vat of worms.
2. Burn my retinas due to said nightmare.
3. Eat a bowl of lucky charms.
4. Dress in the most SMiLE way possible since 2 CD set with shirt won't be here right away (have a pair of shorts that matches Brian's blue and white striped shirt  LOL)
5. Go to morning colonial Latin America class in the late morning. Mention how Heroes and Villains can LOOSELY be tied to Cortes through some fuzzy thinking. Get kicked out of class.
6. Have lunch. Eat vegetables. Spit out vegetables due to not liking them.
7. Hope to get notification for 5 CD set  and vinyl sometime after lunch. UPS usually arrives around 2-4.
8. Go to Rock Class (may or may not have set at this time.) Talk about how SMiLE influenced rock over Chuck Berry. Get kicked out again.
9. Receive SMiLE set. Read book, look at other stuff, burn music onto laptop, listen to music, continue to listen to music.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: September 13, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »

And wonderful items they are indeed. The best BB-related purchases I made in 1997. Also had the privelidge of speaking to Frank on the phone to convey my thanks; wonderful fellow.

He really is. The girlfriend and I had dinner with him in S.F. in 2004. She really had no idea who he was or his connection with Smile, but she ended up spending more time talking to him than me! He even gave her some of his artwork and personalized it to her! He had some good stories that night about his association with Brian and Van Dyke.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »

1. Wake up, slight hangover, put on blue bathrobe

2. Check if my hair is long and greasy enough, control beard for Brian-ness

3. Offer my daughter some hashish, then realize I have no daughter

4. Fall down stairs, no harm done

5. Go to loo, where 'Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile!' has been my constant companion; take my time to drop a big one

6. Check time, it's near 9 AM, store will open soon

7. Bike to city center, ignore all traffic lights, almost get run over by a truck transporting CDs and LPs to record store

8. Arrive in store at 9 AM

9. Stumble to counter, out of breath, look for wallet

10. Buy box

(tbc)

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »

1. Set alarm for Saturday morning at 9.00

2. Make a drink for me and my woman

3. Answer the door to the postman

4. Unwrap the package

5. Go to my room and load onto iTunes

6. Listen while reading the booklet through Dr Dre beats

7. Stay there for until Monday

Cheers

Richard
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: September 13, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »

My set arrives at work so no immediate listens for me. My plans will hopefully run thus:

1. Get set at work.
2. Drive to parents house and borrow turn table.
3. Get home and hook turn table up to stereo.
4. Eat dinner.
5. Invite everyone (kids and wife) who can't listen without talking/commenting/walking or running around to leave the house.
6. Listen to the vinyl SMiLE.... at an appropriate volume level (LOUD)
7. Import all CD's to iTunes.
8. Listen to the rest of the box set via headphones for the foreseeable future.

Grin
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »

1. Wake up, slight hangover, put on blue bathrobe

2. Check if my hair is long and greasy enough, control beard for Brian-ness

3. Offer my daughter some hashish, then realize I have no daughter

4. Fall down stairs, no harm done

5. Go to loo, where 'Look! Listen! Vibrate! Smile!' has been my constant companion; take my time to drop a big one

6. Check time, it's near 9 AM, store
 will open soon

Lmao

7. Bike to city center, ignore all traffic lights, almost get run over by a truck transporting CDs and LPs to record store

8. Arrive in store at 9 AM

9. Stumble to counter, out of breath, look for wallet

10. Buy box

(tbc)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:25 AM »

October 31st (I am english :D)

1: Wake up at 7:00 thinking I have school, then realise it is  staff development day so I get the day off. Then realise its SMiLE!!!

2. Get dressed, and wait at front door for my dad to drop me off at the station (after having a carrot for breakfast).

3. Catch train to London from gravesend - Cheap!

4. stroll run to Oxford street HMV.

5. Hope they have the 5 disc + Vinyl box in stock.

6. Purchase said box for some overpriced price knowing HMV.

7. Get train home, ignoring the fact I just wasted a train ticket to london, trying to work out the 3D cover while people pass strange looks at me.

8. Get home, stick on Record one, Side one, and never move unless changing Record/CD for the rest of the day. Then drive my dad crazy with it for teh rest of the week.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:58 AM »

I did this 1024x768 PC background in about 30 seconds incase anyone is interested. Just right click and view image!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: September 13, 2011, 11:03:39 AM »

I did this 1024x768 PC background in about 30 seconds incase anyone is interested. Just right click and view image!

Thanks. New background.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:02 PM »

wake up at 8am and avoid this damn board because I can't afford the set in any shape or form  Angry
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »

actually, that's not true.

I'll head over to Amoeba Music after work and snag the double vinyl  Smiley
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: September 13, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

The box dropped like $4 on Amazon, but my preorder price didn't change, it's still at $170.68. I was under the impression that if the price dropped I would get the lower one, do I have to cancel my order and redo it to get the lower price?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: September 13, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »

It will drop. Just wait a bit and your account status will reflect the change in price.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6589 on: September 13, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »

Ordered the box set off amazon.ca since its so cheap.....doubt it will show up on the day of. Preordered the new NHL video game from them that was released today, it hasn't arrived. Sooooo, rather than have my first official Smile listen be via mp3s (unless perhaps they surface pre-nov 1....hmmm) I'm considering buying the 2 LP set from a store in town then just giving it to a friend once I get my box  3D

Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: September 13, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »

In regards to whether "Tones" and "Little Pad" are similar, Sean MacCreavy made a recording where he sang the "Little Pad" lyrics ove Tones, and it sounded perfect!

do you have this recording Dan? i'd love to hear it

Yes, I do -- but, unfortunately, I'm unable to share it.  My home computer is on the blink.  You should try to contact Sean MacCreavy and ask him if he still has copies.  His recording of this track is totally new.  (No Beach Boy tracks were harmed in the making of this recording.)  You should also hear the lyrics he put to Mauni Kauni (or Mona Kani)[sp?] -- absolutely fantastic!

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

SBonilla
« Reply #6591 on: September 13, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »

In November, 1973, I attended a Beach Boys concert in Sacramento, CA. After the concert, we walked around the back of the building to watch the band members get into their limos and maybe get an autograph. One of them was Al. Standing next to me, I recognized the owner of a record store that sold used and collectible records a couple of blocks over. He held up a Smiley Smile album and asked Al to sign it. Al stood up and looked over the top of the limo, took the album and looked at it for a long time. He told the guy that he'd never heard the album before! What?? The store owner told Al that he had another copy and Al's limo followed the record store owner down to his shop, where he opened it (at around 11 o'clock at night) to get another Smiley Smile album for him.

Al was serious! I kid you not. He said he'd never heard the entire Smiley Smile album since its release six years before.
The record store was The Record Exchange; I owned it, along with Tom Darling (later of the Twinkeyz).  The incident in question took place back stage (someone from KZAP, Dennis Newhall, maybe, had slapped backstage passes on us) . I had brought along Smiley Smile and Carl and The Passions to be signed (just in case).  When I handed SS to Al to be autographed, he looked at it and said, wow, "I don't have this one." The strangest part of the whole thing was Mike contemplating the palm of his hand the whole time.  There was an after concert 'party' at the C Street Saloon; hardly anyone showed up. I was able to sit at the table where Dennis, Blondie and Ricky were. 
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »

And wonderful items they are indeed. The best BB-related purchases I made in 1997. Also had the privelidge of speaking to Frank on the phone to convey my thanks; wonderful fellow.

He really is. The girlfriend and I had dinner with him in S.F. in 2004. She really had no idea who he was or his connection with Smile, but she ended up spending more time talking to him than me! He even gave her some of his artwork and personalized it to her! He had some good stories that night about his association with Brian and Van Dyke.

Mikie, I'd love to hear the stories that Frank Holmes told you.  Have you posted them here before?

Love and merci,    Dan Lega
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: September 13, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »

In November, 1973, I attended a Beach Boys concert in Sacramento, CA. After the concert, we walked around the back of the building to watch the band members get into their limos and maybe get an autograph. One of them was Al. Standing next to me, I recognized the owner of a record store that sold used and collectible records a couple of blocks over. He held up a Smiley Smile album and asked Al to sign it. Al stood up and looked over the top of the limo, took the album and looked at it for a long time. He told the guy that he'd never heard the album before! What?? The store owner told Al that he had another copy and Al's limo followed the record store owner down to his shop, where he opened it (at around 11 o'clock at night) to get another Smiley Smile album for him.

Al was serious! I kid you not. He said he'd never heard the entire Smiley Smile album since its release six years before.
The record store was The Record Exchange; I owned it, along with Tom Darling (later of the Twinkeyz).  The incident in question took place back stage (someone from KZAP, Dennis Newhall, maybe, had slapped backstage passes on us) . I had brought along Smiley Smile and Carl and The Passions to be signed (just in case).  When I handed SS to Al to be autographed, he looked at it and said, wow, "I don't have this one." The strangest part of the whole thing was Mike contemplating the palm of his hand the whole time.  There was an after concert 'party' at the C Street Saloon; hardly anyone showed up. I was able to sit at the table where Dennis, Blondie and Ricky were. 
Hanging out with the band before their careers took off again sounds so interesting.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »

Steve!  A name from my record collecting past.  I remember a lengthy conversation about the Beach Boys with you and Marisa at a record show in Valley Forge, PA -- it would have been around 1987 or so.  It was a "Wonderful" conversation!   Wink

Lee
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »

Sometimes I even doubt there's as much as 6° of separation.

Or, more likely this board just attracts the best & brightest?
 Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »

Mikie, I'd love to hear the stories that Frank Holmes told you.  Have you posted them here before?

Hi, Dan! I think I may have before on another board. Lee Dempsey was also with us (he can recount a couple of stories, I'm sure), along with Les Chan and Panayiotis and a couple of other guys whose names slip my mind at the moment.

Frank vividly remembers taking a long walk around the block with Brian in Hollywood, driving around in a convertable with him, and being invited in and standing out in the hallway for a long time at Columbia when the Beach Boys were recording Good Vibrations. He also recalls when Van Dyke first introduced him to Brian. Says the time he was with the 'entourage' was real hectic and he had a great time with them (including sparking up a few).  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: September 13, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »

This is the poster I picked up the night I was in Sacramento, November 21, 1973, at the Memorial Auditorium (where they recorded the '64 Concert album). This was three or four days after I saw the band in Winterland, S.F. Still have the poster framed behind glass.

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Posters,%20non-movie/pages/Tour%20poster,%201973.html

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: September 13, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »

Wow! That was you?? What a small world! You guys were on 10th Street, right? I pulled down a few collectibles from your shop back in the day. I remember a mint original copy of 20/20 (and I think Stack-o-Tracks) was displayed in your window for awhile. I remember my cousin went with me to your store one day and I eventually picked up 20/20. I couldn't stand just looking at it anymore. The album was already deleted by Capitol's inventory and was not that easy to get at the time. I think your only real competitor at the time was a record store at 804 K Street, run by a guy named Lee Cotten.

Damn, if I'd known about that party on C Street, Steve, my friend and I would have come along too! My friend bent over and looked inside the window of Dennis' limo - he'd just gotten into the back seat with a nice looking woman. Not sure if it was Barbara or not. Dennis loudly called my friend a f****t (I guess he was looking at him too long!) Then as they were pulling away, Dennis held his arm out the window and offered my friend some cash!! I guess he felt bad about it or his lady told him to do it. Seemed like Dennis had already had a coupla belts.....

It was a memorable night early in my Beach Boys concert career. When they came around again the following year, Blondie was gone but Ricky was still with them on drums.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »

Sorry to take up space on the Smile Box thread.  Had to reminisce for a minute.....  Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 [264] 265 266 267 268 269 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx