gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:48:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 266 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728755 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: September 12, 2011, 08:23:06 AM »

Also on IIGS - what's the origin of that instrumental intro on BWPS?Huh? - help please

I'm pretty sure it's a 2003 creation based on the 'In the Cantina' section chords/melody.

Thanks - really Cantina?? - WOW

Yeah it's the melody from in the cantina. The link section between H&V and Worms is based on the "are you sleeping" line from SU, and there is another link section based on the "fire rose" (iirc) line from SU at the end of Blue Hawaii. I believe all these bits were created by Darian to ease the transitions between songs, hence them being based so clearly on existing Smile songs, rather than being entirely new creations (which might have happened had Brian created them).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:25:51 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »

Also on IIGS - what's the origin of that instrumental intro on BWPS?Huh? - help please

I'm pretty sure it's a 2003 creation based on the 'In the Cantina' section chords/melody.

Thanks - really Cantina?? - WOW

Yeah it's the melody from in the cantina. The link section between H&V and Worms is based on the "are you sleeping" line from SU, and there is another link section based on the "fire rose" (iirc) line from SU at the end of Blue Hawaii. I believe all these bits were created by Darian to ease the transitions between songs, hence them being based so clearly on existing Smile songs, rather than being entirely new creations (which might have happened had Brian created them).

Thanks - I understood that but couldn't work out which bit came from what - really helpful - ta

Cheers

Richard
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: September 12, 2011, 10:03:01 AM »

Hmm. This is from Wikipedia: The album originally had a tentative July 12 release date, but this was later pushed back to August 9, 2011, to give the producers enough time to finish the missing pieces of the album.

The inference of new recording is highly misleading.

That's not what i inferred at all.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6503 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

No, that's what the Wikipedia editor who put that there inferred, not you....and just remember that Wikipedia is the Wal-mart of online references...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6504 on: September 12, 2011, 11:20:24 AM »

Guess what, though -- we're all Wikipedia editors. If you think it's wrong, fix it. That's how it works.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6505 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »

Hmm. This is from Wikipedia: The album originally had a tentative July 12 release date, but this was later pushed back to August 9, 2011, to give the producers enough time to finish the missing pieces of the album.

The inference of new recording is highly misleading.

That's not what i inferred at all.

Never said you did - you were quoting from Wikipedia.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6506 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »

Guess what, though -- we're all Wikipedia editors. If you think it's wrong, fix it. That's how it works.

... and if someone doesn't like it, or has an axe to grind, your revision will be reversed in minutes. I had to wave an AFM sheet at some guy to stop him from keeping changing my amendments on a certain page.  Grin

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: September 12, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »

Except Phil, who's probably been banned from there too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6508 on: September 12, 2011, 11:28:11 AM »

Except Phil, who's probably been banned from there too.

Word.  Rock!

WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »

If anybody is interested - I've done a couple of skins for a SMiLE countdown clock. The clock sits on the desktop and can be moved anyplace.

This is for Windows only, the link to the program is here:
http://phantim3.ywing.net/download/
Just download and run the exe file. Set the date for Nov 1, midnight - or for you lucky folks in Europe October 31.

And the link to the skins is here:
http://tinyurl.com/3pz6m5s
This is a zipped folder, just extract it and place the SMiLE folder into the skins folder for phantim3.
Just change the skins on the clock - that's all there is to it! If I do some more skins I'll add them in to the folder.

***Update***
4 skins total now in zipped folder
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:27:13 AM by WaxOn » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: September 12, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »

I wish people would stop making jabs at Phil Cohen every single page. If you're going to bitch about the guy the least you could do is unban him, it's not something this board should be proud of that we found some flimsy excuse to ban a member whose opinions we didn't like.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: September 12, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »

In regards to whether "Tones" and "Little Pad" are similar, Sean MacCreavy made a recording where he sang the "Little Pad" lyrics ove Tones, and it sounded perfect!

do you have this recording Dan? i'd love to hear it
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: September 12, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »

I wish people would stop making jabs at Phil Cohen every single page. If you're going to bitch about the guy the least you could do is unban him, it's not something this board should be proud of that we found some flimsy excuse to ban a member whose opinions we didn't like.

I agree with Fish.  Whether Phil remains banned or not isn't the issue here but those who continue to bring him up really are just making themselves look badly at this point as your candle doesn't get any brighter by dimming his.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: September 12, 2011, 12:45:02 PM »

Fishmonk, I agree that (a) we should unban him (before his repetitive tirade he actually contributed good posts) and (b) that we shouldn't make jokes about him.

However, we did not find a flimsy excuse to ban him: he was pissing me, and a lot of other people off here with his childish BS. It's fine to have an opinion - and to state it publicly - but Phil was stating his opinion every page of this thread just to be a dick. He had no credible information that this project was "in trouble" - yet he kept saying it was. He kept repeating that this boxset wasn't going to come out, yet he gave no facts to back this claim up - and he kept on repeating this claim - over and over and over again.

It was tiring and frankly I'm glad he got banned. However, with the obvious release of The Smile Sessions in our midst I think he should be let back in to make contributions to our discussions....as I said: before his childish ranting he actually contributed to Smiley Smile without being a troll.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6514 on: September 12, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

Wasn't his opinions I had the problem with, but the endless and nauseating restating of them as fact, which several folk who post here knew not to be the case, and I have every confidence that should he be readmitted we'll get the same treatment on a different theme: last time I looked he was bitching elsewhere about the absence of the "million units... in January" clip, never stopping to consider it might be a hidden track or whatever. When the box hits the racks, he'll bitch about something else. That's his nature, and not just about the BB.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:05:31 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: September 12, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

If anybody is interested - I've done a couple of skins for a SMiLE countdown clock. The clock sits on the desktop and can be moved anyplace.

Just download and run the exe file. Set the date for Nov 1, midnight - or for you lucky folks in Europe October 31.

This is a zipped folder, just extract it and place the SMiLE folder into the skins folder for phantim3.
Just change the skins on the clock - that's all there is to it! If I do some more skins I'll add them in to the folder.

Hey, thanks  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: September 12, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »

Hey, thanks  Grin
We  smiley smilers should a have huge countdown and listening party when the box comes out. Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: September 12, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »

I'm actually going to create a special Skype chat for us, called "Finally, Surf's Up!"

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: September 12, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that Brian never liked his vocal on the Surf's Up demo. Maybe the 1967 version was just to have something down with a vocal he liked better.

I believe "piece of sh*t" were his exact words.  I don't agree, mind you, but yes maybe that was his reasoning.  Hopefully we'll know more soon!

Hmm I actually think this was one of the better solo vocals he ever laid down and that falsetto at the end...dear god!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: September 12, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »

I don't really think it matters if people found him "boring" or whatever. There's lots of stuff that gets posted here that's boring, conversations and arguments are retread dozens of times. There's no reason that Phil is beholden to your personal entertainment. Some members here inexplicably took Phil's comments much much too personally, and that's why he was banned, simply because some here personally didn't like him, or found his comments as an affront to their position as "knowledgeable insiders". If all someone needs to do to be banned is bore somebody else, then we should just close the board right now.
As stupid and wrong and lowly people thought Phil Cohen was, the reactions he enjoyed from some quarters of this forum were equally unbecoming, and the persistent need to more or less rub it in the guy's face, when he was already banned, is downright obnoxious.

So you don't like what he posted? Tough, some people did and there's no reason why this board should be subject to the whims of certain posters. Just unban the guy and if you see him saying something that you don't like, just close the stinking thread and find something better to do. And if you can't have the courtesy to just unban the guy, at least drop this childish mocking of him.

That's all I have to say about the issue, I don't think there's any reason for people on either side of the argument to be proud, and it would be best for the board to just put the whole thing in the past and move on
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:23:40 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: September 12, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »

I don't really think it matters if people found him "boring" or whatever. There's lots of stuff that gets posted here that's boring, conversations and arguments are retread dozens of times. There's no reason that Phil is beholden to your personal entertainment. Some members here inexplicably took Phil's comments much much too personally, and that's why he was banned, simply because some here personally didn't like him, or found his comments as an affront to their position as "knowledgeable insiders". If all someone needs to do to be banned is bore somebody else, then we should just close the board right now.
As stupid and wrong and lowly people thought Phil Cohen was, the reactions he enjoyed from some quarters of this forum were equally unbecoming, and the persistent need to more or less rub it in the guy's face, when he was already banned, is downright obnoxious.

So you don't like what he posted? Tough, some people did and there's no reason why this board should be subject to the whims of certain posters. Just unban the guy and if you see him saying something that you don't like, just close the stinking thread and find something better to do. And if you can't have the courtesy to just unban the guy, at least drop this childish mocking of him.

That's all I have to say about the issue, I don't think there's any reason for people on either side of the argument to be proud, and it would be best for the board to just put the whole thing in the past and move on

I'm not sure that "proud" is the word I would use, but I do think that the mods handled this issue appropriately.  Posters who consistently detract from the discussion should not be welcome, period.  And he, IMO, was consistently detracting from the discussion.

Yes, it's a subjective test.  It has to be.  But that's one reason to have mods.

I really hope he is not let back in, becuase as AGD was saying, we'd be likely to have similar issues again.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6521 on: September 12, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »

I really hope he is not let back in, becuase as AGD was saying, we'd be likely to have similar issues again.

Considering after his "TSS isn't going to come out, the project is in jeopardy" comments were finally nullified with the press release, Amazon announcement, etc., he switched to complaining about the track listing on the bloo, I think AGD's right. I've rarely known him to be wrong.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: September 12, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »

Do you think anybody will scan high res images of the artwork and photos from the release? I've been waiting for years for good quality photos from the booklet.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6523 on: September 12, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »

I've been waiting for years for good quality photos from the booklet.
Then buy it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: September 12, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »

I've been waiting for years for good quality photos from the booklet.
Then buy it.
I already pre-ordered. But I mean I don't have the equipment to scan them. I like making desktop wallpapers and stuff with photos.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 259 260 [261] 262 263 264 265 266 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx