gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:22:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 265 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737861 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: September 11, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »

how do you even get the wild honey sound on a piano

there must be a recreation or something close somewhere
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: September 11, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that Brian never liked his vocal on the Surf's Up demo. Maybe the 1967 version was just to have something down with a vocal he liked better.

I believe "piece of sh*t" were his exact words.  I don't agree, mind you, but yes maybe that was his reasoning.  Hopefully we'll know more soon!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »

Man, half way though september, were getting close  Evil

Wonder what Capitol got in store

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: September 11, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »

Chances are, they were all stoned except for Al (and maybe Bruce).  And being sober around a bunch of stoned folks is really not much fun...  This is probably around the same time Brian was trying to talk Al into taking acid, and lose his ego, etc etc.  I can understand why he might go along with it like a good employee, but not like it much.

Didn't Al say that was the case?  That they were all stoned except for him?  I thought that was in the interview where he says that "Do You Like Worms" isn't "Worms," from the GV box set.

I thought so but only now dug out the Goldmine interview by Ken Sharp (July 28, 2000) to confirm:

"I liked everything except crawling around on the floors snorting like pigs.  The swine section.  I hated that.  Everyone was high but me.  I was the only one who didn't take drugs.  I was the square, so Brian made us crawl around on the floor and snort like a bunch of pigs on a section of "Heroes."  You hear a bunch of snorting and swining... It was like being trapped in an insane asylum.  I was emotionally depressed by a lot of that stuff because to watch people go through that and you have to kind of make like you're part of that but you're not, you're sober... But somehow we got through it.  Nobody overdosed and everybody made it through it."

I don't see the reference to DYLW in this particular interview, the same one in which he talks about his disappointment with the released H&V, which had "closure" but no "sonic energy."  A great, informative interview with a key player.

Just to put into context with what I posted before, so there are no misunderstandings on what I'm saying:
"I honestly never could understand Al's negative feelings on this issue. It's one thing to be asked to strip down to the waist and run down the street yelling obscenities, but in this case they could have placed a bit of trust in Brian and went along with what he wanted to try and not complain. Even his more hip friends...they balked in some ways but they delivered something Brian liked enough to bring to "The Boys" when they got back from Europe. It's all about letting go and trying it - I don't know what he was expecting, but why is this one specific incident so vividly wrong for Al even decades later?

Brian and his "wild ideas" and weird sounds earned them a number one record and a few new cars, toys, house payments, etc. If he asked for barnyard sounds, I'd do it with a smile. My gratitude for my nice house, hip clothes, and not having to work a real job."

I've read that interview from Al before - overall it is a great interview, with a few historical inaccuracies but a fun interview nonetheless. I read his words and thoughts tonight as it was re-posted in a different light.

I've been in that situation that Al describes before, and yes it is uncomfortable and not very fun to be with a group of friends, some as close as brothers, and not be connecting with them on any level due to intoxication of whatever kind we cite as an example.

I can relate to what he says.

However, Al was along for the ride during Smiley Smile when they were *all* bombed on potent hash (according to legend, or is that a myth to bust as well perhaps?), and would record at various times inside a running shower, an empty pool staring up at the sky, or laying on the floor of Brian's living room, again according to legend. And they released an album that is about as unorthodox and as bizarre as any disc cut in 1967. So several months earlier, Al was repulsed by the scene but in June and July 1967 he had a change of heart and went along with it? Maybe I'm understanding it differently, but if it bothered him in January '67 what made him change his mind 5 months later?

That is an excellent point, Guitarfool (and I apologize for taking your original quote out, I over-shortened the post).  Maybe either Al got "hip" and joined in the party (most likely), or else he stayed sober and felt just as uncomfortable, but no one ever asked him about SS.  In some ways Smiley Smile has more mystery about it than SMiLE...there were far fewer eyewitnesses, and those who were there have never talked about it at length.  Maybe during the SMiLE media blitz this fall, some sharp interviewers will quiz the surviving principals about SS - esp. Al, who seems to be pretty much a staight-shooter - and ask "what were the SS sessions like?  And what were your feelings about turning THIS over to Capitol?"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:06:23 PM by Les P » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: September 11, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjbNwl0EKkY
Al Jardine, Cliff Diving Hipster

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6480 on: September 11, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »

Hmm. This is from Wikipedia: The album originally had a tentative July 12 release date, but this was later pushed back to August 9, 2011, to give the producers enough time to finish the missing pieces of the album.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »

In November, 1973, I attended a Beach Boys concert in Sacramento, CA. After the concert, we walked around the back of the building to watch the band members get into their limos and maybe get an autograph. One of them was Al. Standing next to me, I recognized the owner of a record store that sold used and collectible records a couple of blocks over. He held up a Smiley Smile album and asked Al to sign it. Al stood up and looked over the top of the limo, took the album and looked at it for a long time. He told the guy that he'd never heard the album before! What?? The store owner told Al that he had another copy and Al's limo followed the record store owner down to his shop, where he opened it (at around 11 o'clock at night) to get another Smiley Smile album for him.

Al was serious! I kid you not. He said he'd never heard the entire Smiley Smile album since its release six years before.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »

That might be the single most bizarre story in Beach Boys universe, which is quite the feat.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6483 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:31 PM »

That is really bizarre - what a story! A former co-worker from the Boston area told a story, circa early 70's, of friends of his piling into a station wagon with him to drive to a BB's concert. They were near the venue and spotted a guy walking down the street. Someone in the wagon said it looked like Al Jardine, so they pulled the wagon closer and got his attention. Sure enough, it was Al Jardine, walking down the street for whatever reason. So Al got in the wagon and they gave him a lift.

But that's it...the payoff on Mikie's story is one for the ages. I don't know how Al could not have heard the album, not to mention driving to a record shop to pick it up. Grin

Must have been an early 70's thing.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: September 11, 2011, 11:35:54 PM »

That is really bizarre - what a story! A former co-worker from the Boston area told a story, circa early 70's, of friends of his piling into a station wagon with him to drive to a BB's concert. They were near the venue and spotted a guy walking down the street. Someone in the wagon said it looked like Al Jardine, so they pulled the wagon closer and got his attention. Sure enough, it was Al Jardine, walking down the street for whatever reason. So Al got in the wagon and they gave him a lift.

But that's it...the payoff on Mikie's story is one for the ages. I don't know how Al could not have heard the album, not to mention driving to a record shop to pick it up. Grin

Must have been an early 70's thing.

Sounds like something out of Almost Famous

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6485 on: September 11, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »

Hmm. This is from Wikipedia: The album originally had a tentative July 12 release date, but this was later pushed back to August 9, 2011, to give the producers enough time to finish the missing pieces of the album.

The inference of new recording is highly misleading.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »

Maybe recording animal noises while crawling around offended Al's sense of professional propriety [sort of the way VDP was offend by some of Brian's behavior] in a way that singing for SS didn't.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:12 AM »

Man, half way though september, were getting close  Evil

Wonder what Capitol got in store

Fifty days to hang on!

You can't blame them for wanting to avoid release in the first 2 weeks of September 2011.
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: September 12, 2011, 02:15:27 AM »

I've been in that situation that Al describes before

Crawling across a studio floor, grunting like future sausages?  Guitarfool, you've really got to invite me to one of your parties.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: September 12, 2011, 02:18:14 AM »

apparently it was done on the uniquely-tuned piano featured on Wild Honey, and the arrangement and possibly the chord progression differs from the Surf's Up we all know and love.

might be the best thing on the whole box.  Shocked

The different chords thing has me very excited - that and that WH era piano sound. WH is the album with the some of the best outtakes - that groovy accapella intro CWTL, Redwood Time To get Alone, Lonely Days, Cool Water, and now this!!

Wonder what he does at the end - presumably just replicates the descending ahhs, but that could be interesting.

OLD MASTER PAINTER question:

If it's safe to assume from the track length that the disc one version of OMP/YAMS has the barnshine fade reinstanted, what's the likelihood that they've found a clear version with Mike's "Skies are grey" lyrics? My money's on it just being the False Barnyard tag from Heroes (which would be cool) but wouldn't it be incredible if they'd found a version with clear barnshine vocals?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6490 on: September 12, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »

That Wikipedia article is quite a disappointment. They even misspelled "Linett".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:03 AM »

apparently it was done on the uniquely-tuned piano featured on Wild Honey, and the arrangement and possibly the chord progression differs from the Surf's Up we all know and love.

might be the best thing on the whole box.  Shocked

The different chords thing has me very excited - that and that WH era piano sound. WH is the album with the some of the best outtakes - that groovy accapella intro CWTL, Redwood Time To get Alone, Lonely Days, Cool Water, and now this!!

Wonder what he does at the end - presumably just replicates the descending ahhs, but that could be interesting.

OLD MASTER PAINTER question:

If it's safe to assume from the track length that the disc one version of OMP/YAMS has the barnshine fade reinstanted, what's the likelihood that they've found a clear version with Mike's "Skies are grey" lyrics? My money's on it just being the False Barnyard tag from Heroes (which would be cool) but wouldn't it be incredible if they'd found a version with clear barnshine vocals?

I would think that anything that is on the box will be in good quality meaning either they've found the complete/finished master or they have a rough mix from which they are able to assemble what we hear from the master takes of each setion.

On that note I reckon we are going to have nice surprise with I'm In Great Shape - I think we'll get original vox and track in excellent quality (I have no evidence for this but just a feeling in my water)

Also on IIGS - what's the origin of that instrumental intro on BWPS?Huh? - help please
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:30:57 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
theCOD
« Reply #6492 on: September 12, 2011, 07:54:40 AM »

Also on IIGS - what's the origin of that instrumental intro on BWPS?Huh? - help please

I'm pretty sure it's a 2003 creation based on the 'In the Cantina' section chords/melody.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6493 on: September 12, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »

I've been in that situation that Al describes before

Crawling across a studio floor, grunting like future sausages?  Guitarfool, you've really got to invite me to one of your parties.

Consider the invitation already in the mail, the cartons of egg nog and plastic firehats have been ordered in advance. Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: September 12, 2011, 08:07:16 AM »

I wonder if I'm the only person on this thread who thinks Pet Sounds is way superior to SMiLE?

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6495 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:45 AM »

I wonder if I'm the only person on this thread who thinks Pet Sounds is way superior to SMiLE?

Probably not, everyone's entitled to their opinion  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6496 on: September 12, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »

Maybe recording animal noises while crawling around offended Al's sense of professional propriety [sort of the way VDP was offend by some of Brian's behavior] in a way that singing for SS didn't.

Another point to consider: Are there any other reports of this session other than what Al said? Put into context, we can hear a lot of Smile sessions: Do you think Brian would have them crawling around on the floor to record a vocal overdub? Does Brian ever sound or act unprofessional in the control room? Compare Al's description to the Humble Harv tape where Brian simply has whoever is there make animal noises - it sounded fun on that tape. And the other, similar sessions: nothing seems to suggest Brian had them do anything besides sit or stand at a microphone.

Now with Smiley Smile, we have Jim Lockert reporting the stories about the shower, about the pool, etc. And we have band members reporting that hashish played a role in those sessions - which ones exactly, we can't say. We also have an Our Prayer vocal session where several direct drug references are made, and Al was there at that session in the middle of all that. Maybe the "frog" session was his breaking point after all of the other stuff?

It just feels like Al overreacted a bit to the whole thing, but then again we weren't there and just have interviews to rely on. It just seems tame compared to some of the things which would happen in and around Beach Boys sessions over the next 2 years.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: September 12, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's a 2003 creation based on the 'In the Cantina' section chords/melody.

Thanks - really Cantina?? - WOW

Cheers

Richard
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: September 12, 2011, 08:19:27 AM »

Well, Pet Sounds was finished and released, so it kind of has the edge by default. It's all very subjective, so I guess it depends on what kind of music you like the most. I love the creativity of SMiLE and the way Brian was reaching beyond what he was probably capable of; I love the inventiveness of the concept and the cleverness of the lyrics. I love the tragic sadness of its unfinished state. But Pet Sounds gets right to my HEART in a way that few other albums ever could, and frankly, the best of Brian's post-SMiLE music (through 1977) means more to me emotionally than SMiLE ever will.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:20:53 AM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:54 AM »

In regards to whether "Tones" and "Little Pad" are similar, Sean MacCreavy made a recording where he sang the "Little Pad" lyrics ove Tones, and it sounded perfect!

Then, in regards to Al saying that "Worms" was not "Worms" on the '93 Box Set, if I remember correctly he never said that in a interview.  That was something he said to David Leaf, and David Leaf told other people what he said, and it got passed on from there.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 [260] 261 262 263 264 265 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx