gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:14:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737619 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: September 06, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »

Start another thread and moving any future "versus" talk there.  In case anyone forgot THE BEACH BOYS ARE FINALLY RELEASING THEIR HOLY GRAIL and people are bickering about the Beatles comparison in a thread DEVOTED TO THE NEW BOX SET!  With information (and tracks) slowly being leaked/released, there's a reason I check this specific thread several times a day and it's NOT to find out which of these great bands did what better than the other.

Come on.  Focus guys.

Please?

I understand your concern and I love the Smile chat. I contributed virtually nothing when it was revealed on Amazon because I was so in awe of the conversation here.

That being said, it's a 250 page thread and it's not all focused on Smile. There's a question at the top of the thread about whether it should be sent to The Sandbox because of a discussion that has been long abandoned. Despite those deviations, the thread has always come back to the matter at hand, and I have a hard time believing that many people missed all the Amazon.com talk because of the drug discussion from several months ago. I think, if anything, the thread will end up being a nice relic of the kinds of things going on during this crazy time of the Smile talks. And then it will be deleted forever when the board shuts down.
ghost
« Reply #6251 on: September 06, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »

Start another thread and moving any future "versus" talk there.  In case anyone forgot THE BEACH BOYS ARE FINALLY RELEASING THEIR HOLY GRAIL and people are bickering about the Beatles comparison in a thread DEVOTED TO THE NEW BOX SET!  With information (and tracks) slowly being leaked/released, there's a reason I check this specific thread several times a day and it's NOT to find out which of these great bands did what better than the other.

Come on.  Focus guys.

Please?

I understand your concern and I love the Smile chat. I contributed virtually nothing when it was revealed on Amazon because I was so in awe of the conversation here.

That being said, it's a 250 page thread and it's not all focused on Smile. There's a question at the top of the thread about whether it should be sent to The Sandbox because of a discussion that has been long abandoned. Despite those deviations, the thread has always come back to the matter at hand, and I have a hard time believing that many people missed all the Amazon.com talk because of the drug discussion from several months ago. I think, if anything, the thread will end up being a nice relic of the kinds of things going on during this crazy time of the Smile talks. And then it will be deleted forever when the board shuts down.

exactly, this sort of thing is epic, to fragment the thread into pieces means to lose it all to fragments - LIKE SMILE.

come on guys, this is OUR SMILE, - this thread - don;'t f*** it up. let's reach 2 million posts by febuary.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: September 06, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »

Personally, I really like the Beatles and the Beach Boys.  I also love the Who, the Kinks, Zombies, Lovin' Spoonful, etc.  They all had similar influences, and influenced one another too, but did their own thing with those influences.  They weren't at war, they were climbing that spiral to the sky together. angel
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »

Ok, here's a question about the SMiLE box set tracklist. I seem to remember Tones/Tune X being one of the songs included. Which version do you think it'll be? The "strings" version*, the keyboard overdub version, or the one with an instrumental insert near the end with the guitar riff?

*I called it the "strings" version because  that's what it always sounded like to me. It sounds like cellos to me. I could be totally wrong though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: September 06, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »

Ok, here's a question about the SMiLE box set tracklist. I seem to remember Tones/Tune X being one of the songs included. Which version do you think it'll be? The "strings" version*, the keyboard overdub version, or the one with an instrumental insert near the end with the guitar riff?

*I called it the "strings" version because  that's what it always sounded like to me. It sounds like cellos to me. I could be totally wrong though.

I think, like other bootlegs, these are mixes as they happened. Thus, if you're listening to "Would Not It Be Nice", track one has the basic track, track two might have the basic track with the first lead vocal, track three might have the 2nd doubled vocal, track four one take of the backup vocals, etc. etc. etc.

Thus, the most complete version is probably what was intended of the song, the earlier mixes were just in-progress sort of things.

(I have no idea if I made any sense, there. sryz.)

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6255 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »

yukurri shiteitte ne man
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:55:13 PM by groovy » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6256 on: September 06, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »

I'm thinking it'll be the one they have most tape of.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6257 on: September 06, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »

Took a visit to my local record store today. I pre-ordered the box there. The official release date was October 28th, as on ebay Germany, pretty early. I wonder if that will be the case. But then again, Santa Claus visits German kids on December 24th. (Heartical Don, when is the release in the Netherlands? Wink 2)

I wonder if the box sets available in Europe are actually produced here rather than transported over the Atlantic. And if so, would that affect the mastering of the vinyls?

I took a look at the used LPs racks. The Beach Boys slot was half filled with misplaced Beatles LPs. That's where this thread got us. Roll Eyes

Well, I tried to get it off the Beatles...

But again my question: Will the box sets available in Europe be actually produced here rather than transported over the Atlantic? And if so, would that affect the mastering of the vinyls? Anybody knows anything about this?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: September 06, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »

I'm thinking it'll be the one they have most tape of.

The mellotron version then... :D
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: September 07, 2011, 02:20:32 AM »

Come on.  Focus guys.

Please?

exactly, this sort of thing is epic, to fragment the thread into pieces means to lose it all to fragments - LIKE SMILE.

come on guys, this is OUR SMILE, - this thread - don;'t f*ck it up. let's reach 2 million posts by febuary.

I'd say we're sure to reach a million posts in January.  (Apologies if I'm the 55th person to say this.)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:03 AM »

It been a while since we had a snippet of stuff from the box set - I reckon we must be due some more info or the odd audio soon (hopefully)

Cheers

Richard
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: September 07, 2011, 03:10:36 AM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality? Possibly the Gershwin album too?

TLOS is so much better on vinyl than on CD, but that's just my opinion

To answer your question, I imagine if you can buy the vinyl and box-sets over here in the UK, the vinyl will be mastered here too, but that is just a guess
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6262 on: September 07, 2011, 03:55:43 AM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality?

My EC pressing of TLOS was utterly unlistenable until I ripped it to my iPod (seriously). My US version was, and is, just fine.

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: September 07, 2011, 04:24:32 AM »

Wasn't the mastering for TLOS and BWPS UK albums different to the US albums, hence there was a noticeable difference in quality?

My EC pressing of TLOS was utterly unlistenable until I ripped it to my iPod (seriously). My US version was, and is, just fine.

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6264 on: September 07, 2011, 05:07:32 AM »

That's highly weird.  Surely -- because mastering is SO expensive -- the album wouldn't have been mastered twice?  There's no good reason for that.  Presumably, though, the pressings are different.  In which case, could something in the pressing process have compromised the sound?  Plenty a cheap polymer has krunked a disc along the way.  (I'm looking at you, PDO.)

My only explanation (and it's not a good one) is they sent over the download master by mistake.

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: September 07, 2011, 05:12:52 AM »

My only explanation (and it's not a good one) is they sent over the download master by mistake.

That seems skyscrapingly improbable.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6266 on: September 07, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »

Obviously you don't have my copy of the vinyl. Sad

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6267 on: September 07, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »

Three words: "We Got Love".  Grin

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: September 07, 2011, 06:07:13 AM »

Obviously you don't have my copy of the vinyl. Sad

Oh dear-I won't ask!! Well, it's been a while since I've played my TLOS LP as it's on my iPod (I know, hang the non-purist!) but I'll give it a go tonight. I'm sure it was fine, though

Yes-don't the BB's/record company have a history of sending the wrong masters or even tracks for pressing?
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:12 AM »

...?  Going to have to fill this idiot in.  What happened there?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6270 on: September 07, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »

...?  Going to have to fill this idiot in.  What happened there?

'Wrong' master was sent to Germany - before they could stop them, about 300 copies of Holland with "WGL" instead of "SO,S" were pressed. Rarest BB album there is.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: September 07, 2011, 06:56:31 AM »

I never knew there was more then one version of Tune X. Only heard the "strings" version before.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: September 07, 2011, 06:58:12 AM »

Yes-don't the BB's/record company have a history of sending the wrong masters or even tracks for pressing?

Yes, Capitol sent out Summer in Paradise.
P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: September 07, 2011, 07:00:13 AM »

LOL

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: September 07, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »

LOL indeed...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx