gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681443 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 06:22:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1749676 times)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5775 on: September 01, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered (been away from the board for awhile)...

Was the new Heroes and Villains track pieced together based on a newly found acetate?

I don't think so. They recreated the BWPS version using the 1966/67 recordings.

Not sure though - I am sure all will become clear in the liner notes

Cheers

Richard
ghost
« Reply #5776 on: September 01, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »

How could this version of Heroes be from an acetate when it takes parts from the Smiley sessions? Durrr. These mixes are just for the casual fans I think and those who don't acquire fan mixes or make their own. Something for them. The rest of us will get down with it and make our own masterpiece. Just wait till you hear mine later on. It will blow you all away.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: September 01, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »

I wonder how they will ship the surfboard......

I would buy it if Mike were to surf it across the ocean to England for me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5778 on: September 01, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

On the Hoffman board, there was some talk as to whether 'Holidays' was originally DYLW and if what we have to come to know as DYLW (Roll Plymouth Rock) was a reworking of that song.

and 'Holidays' is alleged to have been the home of the Roll Plymouth Rock lyrics which may be why Al had stated that "Worms' was not what has been traditionally accepted as such.

But Holidays was called so even on the recording sheet, and DYLW bears little resemblance to it and was recorded under the title. So I think that theory is unlikely. It's more likely they shifted just that line from Holidays to DYLW. But with a bit of luck, there will be some new info on the box.

On BWPS Brian shouts "Child" in between. Is that vintage too? Anybody know?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: September 01, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »

The download code is a great idea.

So now I've preordered and it'll land on my doorstep in two months exactly, I am toying with the idea of not listening to any SMiLE music until it arrives......
I put my Smile boots and BWPS away when the rumors began in the Spring. I believed the story right away. I want to hear this with "fresh' ears! Tongue
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: September 01, 2011, 09:56:09 AM »

How could this version of Heroes be from an acetate when it takes parts from the Smiley sessions? Durrr. These mixes are just for the casual fans I think and those who don't acquire fan mixes or make their own. Something for them. The rest of us will get down with it and make our own masterpiece. Just wait till you hear mine later on. It will blow you all away.

A. An acetate could have been done during the Smiley sessions

B. Don't think these mixes are for casual fans - I am trusting Mark and Alan to do stuff that is historically accurate

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: September 01, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »

We also keep in mind that its 8 WHOLE YEARS since BWPS - that's a lot of research time

Cheers

Richard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »

I am planning to turn mine straight away into an ironing board. I can't surf. And I want to make those collector geeks as envious and angry as possible. So my Pendleton shirts will be ironed the way they should be.

How cool would that be - a SMiLE IRONING BOARD!!!  Cheesy

...I will sing along with doing the shirts: 'who ran the iron horse, who ran the iron horse...'

You finally uncovered what that line is about. He's in the cabin ironing is clothes and talking to his horse. "Who ran the iron, horse?"  Cheesy

LOL

And now "Over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield":

The clarity of the new mixes has made this properly audible for the first time and it's obvious we all need our ears waxing.
Mike's actually singing:

"Oh dear, Van, oh dear, the crow pie's uncooked, I've no appetite."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:53:50 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5783 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »

A. An acetate could have been done during the Smiley sessions

B. Don't think these mixes are for casual fans - I am trusting Mark and Alan to do stuff that is historically accurate

A. Yes, but many say Smiley is historically not SMiLE. So a Smiley era acetate would - in that line of thinking - not belong on "the original SMiLE".

B. Historically accurate would be not to release it at all... Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5784 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:49 AM »

Let's hear some guesses as to what Vegetables is going to have. That one seems like a big mystery. It's listed as 3:49, 20 seconds longer than the GVbox, and a staggering minute and a half longer than BWPS. Could be some exciting stuff in there.

Personally, i'm hoping it's just 3 minutes and 49 seconds of Marilyn lovingly crooning in my ear, telling me that she'll feel better when i send her a letter telling her the name of my favorite vegetable.

I had a dream last night that Capitol talked Paul McCartney into shooting a promo video for the album with him singing Vegatables and chewing on a carrot.  LOL

I would be ecstatic if Paul Mcartney was never again mentioned alongside Vegetables.

Or Pet Sounds for that matter.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »

Cool

This seems to have raised little interest (amazingly, really) …  I know it's from the Examiner website but haven't seen it in any of David's articles yet (though I might have missed one or two…).

Any further info?

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »

[I'd like to confirm this with specifics to back up Probyn's statement about AM radio in the mid to late 60's. I'll use Brian's "home station" of KHJ in Los Angeles as the example, because what they were doing from 65 to 69 as part of the "Boss Radio" format was copied across the USA, not only by stations in their own Drake-Chenault network but also the competition to the Drake stations, in all major markets.

Getting back to engineering, KHJ would deliberately process records they'd play on the air a certain way. Their records would "cut through" the broadcast band and be louder and more present than the competition across the dial. Part of what they did was compress the living hell out of the records at the station.

What a compressor did was allow the maximum volume to be achieved without going into distortion, and the classic compressors would also allow certain frequencies to be boosted and heard much more up front than you'd hear playing it on a normal turntable. This made records literally pump or pulse out of the speaker depending on how much bass was in the original mix. It gave records on KHJ and similar stations a certain character, and it could sound friggin' awesome in the right situations. Motown, Stax, "Sloop John B", etc...anything with a present bass thump that would normally be lost would come alive after KHJ processed it and compressed it.

There was a great anecdote about driving down Sunset Strip in LA, mid to late 60's, and most car radios were tuned to KHJ. So you'd hear a pulsing effect going down the street as all the cars had the same song playing on their radios, with KHJ's bass pumping away. That would be beyond cool, and what a scene.

WOW!  What a terrific story!!!  Thanks GF!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: September 01, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/the-bed-bath-beyond-exclusive-store-cd-photo

Above is from a review of David's on Examiner. Above-average tracklisting for a comp… but look at the cover art –  recognise the lettering?

Have we seen the end of the '76 Dean Torrance-designed logo?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:25:36 AM by John Manning » Logged

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »

But Holidays was called so even on the recording sheet, and DYLW bears little resemblance to it and was recorded under the title. So I think that theory is unlikely. It's more likely they shifted just that line from Holidays to DYLW. But with a bit of luck, there will be some new info on the box.

What i think you mean is: with a bit of luck, when track 15 of disc 1 comes on, we will hear vintage plymouth rock vocals on Holidays.  Shocked

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: September 01, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

Let's hear some guesses as to what Vegetables is going to have. That one seems like a big mystery. It's listed as 3:49, 20 seconds longer than the GVbox, and a staggering minute and a half longer than BWPS. Could be some exciting stuff in there.

Personally, i'm hoping it's just 3 minutes and 49 seconds of Marilyn lovingly crooning in my ear, telling me that she'll feel better when i send her a letter telling her the name of my favorite vegetable.

I had a dream last night that Capitol talked Paul McCartney into shooting a promo video for the album with him singing Vegatables and chewing on a carrot.  LOL

I would be ecstatic if Paul Mcartney was never again mentioned alongside Vegetables.

Or Pet Sounds for that matter.....

Yes, please. That too.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5790 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »

Not true. The first disc _is_ for casual fans, and uses the 2003 Brian Wilson presents Smile sequence as it source. Mark L. has stated this outright in the first press release. The track list and mixes we've heard so far bear it out. The first disc is _not_ historically accurate in any way, shape or form.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:39:23 AM by Wirestone » Logged
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: September 01, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »

Does this mean well get a new tour from Brian next year:
BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS SMILE AGAIN
Playing all the new versions from the recently released Beach Boys Smile Sessions Box Set!

Phil Cohen alert: http://www.earcandymag.com/parody/capitolletter-philcohen.jpg

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »

Not true. The first disc _is_ for casual fans, and uses the 2003 Brian Wilson presents Smile sequence as it source. Mark L. has stated this outright in the first press release. The track list and mixes we've heard so far bear it out. The first disc is _not_ historically accurate in any way, shape or form.

How do you really know the first disc is not historically accurate - what evidence is there??
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:55:48 AM by desmondo » Logged

Cheers

Richard
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: September 01, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »

The fact that it is -- song for song -- based on tracklisting created more than three decades after the original sessions.

In what world is that historically accurate?

There _is_ a contemporaneous and historically accurate tracklisting. It's the memo to Capitol. But it is not being used.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »

The fact that it is -- song for song -- based on tracklisting created more than three decades after the original sessions.

In what world is that historically accurate?

There _is_ a contemporaneous and historically accurate tracklisting. It's the memo to Capitol. But it is not being used.

That 66 'tracklisting' has never been confirmed as THE tracklisting - back covers were never printed up like the fronts - recording was done after it was written so its unlikely

What makes the 2003 tracklisting inaccurate - it the only one we have had until now

Cheers

Richard
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: September 01, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »

On the Hoffman board, there was some talk as to whether 'Holidays' was originally DYLW and if what we have to come to know as DYLW (Roll Plymouth Rock) was a reworking of that song.  Made me start to wonder if it was always Brian's intention to follow-up Pet Sounds with an entire album of modular songs or whether the success of the GV single led him in this direction as 'Look' and 'Holidays', which I believe were tracked as complete predate the GV release and Brian seems to abandon this in favor of modular recording in 10/66.  We do hear echoes of those in other SMiLE tracks though.  I've always thought elements of 'Look' could be found in/or reworked for GV, Wonderful, and CIFTM - and 'Holidays' is alleged to have been the home of the Roll Plymouth Rock lyrics which may be why Al had stated that "Worms' was not what has been traditionally accepted as such.
Not really earth shattering stuff but I'm just sharing some thoughts as I count down to November 1st.  I could have my timeline all messed up as well which would totally negate this conjecture but I expect the experts on this board will correct me if I'm off.  

I have always wondered this. I suspect that the very first Heroes session might have been a complete run through of the song as Brian originally composed it. That first cluster of songs, Holidays, Wind Chimes, Look, He Gives Speeches, and Wonderful seem to be different somehow from the later songs.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: September 01, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »

So if the box set is coming with a download code to get digital files, i imagine it will have digital files of the stuff that’s on the records? What’s the point of getting a download code for only stuff that’s on CDs? That makes no sense. It’s not as if we’re grandmas who don’t know how to rip CDs. Every release that comes with a download code is a vinyl release or a release that comes with additional vinyl. Is this a reasonable assumption to make? What do you (DOO YOO!) all think?

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: September 01, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »

[How cool would that be - a SMiLE IRONING BOARD!!!  Cheesy

And... you could enter an extreme ironing competition with it!

LOL

(Now, earcandy, work your magic!)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:46:57 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: September 01, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »

The press release was handled pretty badly. A LOT of people are under the assumption the box set is 700 bucks..

Pretty annoying

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: September 01, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »

BWPS obviously is the template--I think that's the word he used.  I certainly have some major reservations about that.  But I think in a couple of your posts you've overstated how closely BWPS is being followed.  Some of the track times are significantly different--at least Old Master Painter and Vegetables.  Great Shape was moved.  They also clearly are not shying away from the "spookiness" factor as they did in BWPS; just compare the two versions of H&V.  And most importantly (IMO), they're not eliminating the fades to allow for the unnatural merging of the tracks.

Jon Hunt had a good post on some of this on the Hoffman board.  http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6909223&postcount=385
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 231 [232] 233 234 235 236 237 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx