gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:45:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728754 times)
Jason
« Reply #5675 on: August 31, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »

You know, people (that is, the less obsessed and knowledgeable) will hear the sessions when this thing comes out, and they will hear just how many vocals were actually recorded for the unfinished/abandoned album that allegedly had a lot of dissent from within, and they might just start to see the story differently.

This way of thinking always gets to me.  Why couldn't they have recorded the lyrics AND heavily complained about them?  As far as I know it IS physically possible to SING a lyric, (with feeling, too!) even if you don't like it very much!  Throw in the fact that, hey, you're already in the studio AND you're already PAYING for the studio time and engineers.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

... but what's the problem then if they did their job and sang the song?  Brian wasn't asking Mike to write on SMiLE.  Brian wasn't asking Dennis for help recording the album.  He was just asking them to sing.  Which they obviously did.  So whether or not they were happy campers is irrelevant.  We've got one legend of a story of Mike being crucified for 40 years for the mistake of asking what a phrase means.  It's also a fascinating thing that Mike always gets the blame for this, when he did all that was asked of him... and in the close years that followed Brian abandoned the band in a large way.  

I love Brian to death but all the hate the others (Mike especially) get over this album is getting old.  Not aimed at you Dan, I'm just talking about the common perception.  

And that's the other thing that gets to me, "Mike did all that was asked of him."  How do you know this?  And even if Mike did do all that was asked of him, that still doesn't preclude him from complaining about it so much that it scuttled the album.  In fact, that's what Van Dyke says happened, that there was a family dynamic that was being pushed to the limit because of the SMiLE sessions, because of his lyrics.  Therefore, Van Dyke thought he should leave the project, otherwise the scene might get really ugly and Brian might have to choose between Van Dyke and SMiLE, or the Beach Boys.  So Van Dyke left, sensing that Brian wasn't strong enough to bridge the gap and bring the Beach Boys into the new direction that he and Van Dyke were heading.

And, yes, we've got a lot of SMiLE vocals, but we've also got a lot of key parts missing.  Why are they missing?  Is it because Brian got so tired of hearing complaints about the lyrics that he no longer had the strength or will to get the Boys into studio for fear of repeat performances of harangues and complaints?

Mike says he didn't like the lyrics.  Mike doesn't think his complaints scuttled the album.  Van Dyke thinks they did.  Brian has said the band's complaints were a major, major bummer.  That's two against one, the way I see it.  Oh, and then there is Anderle's accounts of the Boys giving Brian a hard time.  I'm still not seeing the "story differently" from where I sit.

Love and merci,    Dan Lega

Again...bolded, italicized, underlined, striked-through, glowed, shadowed, marquee'd, and BLOWN UP TO GIGANTIC PROPORTIONS -
BRIAN CANCELLED SMILE
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:25:30 PM by Manuel » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »

Because none of the other members had as much of a hand in the band's classic works as Brian did. It's not that hard to understand.

OK, then Brian really didn't even need them, did he? I mean, really?

Couldn't he have sung the missing pieces all himself?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: August 31, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »

Ever since the news about The Smile Sessions box set came out (which I ordered for $110)  Tongue I have been playing BWPS at least once a day and I have to say:

What a beautiful, beautiful record BWPS is.  I am just so amazed by it, still, and the accomplishment it represents for Brian and His Band.  Awesome!

Also,
You can call me crazy, but I even like all the keyboards on BWPS.  To me, the sound is more modern, even richer than a traditional harpsichord, and suits the "updated SMiLE" approach.  Whereas, TSS will be "classic" SMiLE!   Grin

God, what an incredible album BWPS is.  When TSS comes out, BWPS becomes even better, my opinion.

-- David

Tonight I'll have a pint in your honour. The BWPS rehabilitation campaign starts here.

I will have a pint in my honor too.  Maybe two!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »

Because none of the other members had as much of a hand in the band's classic works as Brian did. It's not that hard to understand.

It also depends on what you consider the band's classic works!

Wild Honey
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Friends
20/20
Holland
CATP

I'd say the other guys had something of a hand there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5679 on: August 31, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

And that's the other thing that gets to me, "Mike did all that was asked of him."  How do you know this?  And even if Mike did do all that was asked of him, that still doesn't preclude him from complaining about it so much that it scuttled the album.  In fact, that's what Van Dyke says happened, that there was a family dynamic that was being pushed to the limit because of the SMiLE sessions, because of his lyrics.  Therefore, Van Dyke thought he should leave the project, otherwise the scene might get really ugly and Brian might have to choose between Van Dyke and SMiLE, or the Beach Boys.  So Van Dyke left, sensing that Brian wasn't strong enough to bridge the gap and bring the Beach Boys into the new direction that he and Van Dyke were heading.

And, yes, we've got a lot of SMiLE vocals, but we've also got a lot of key parts missing.  Why are they missing?  Is it because Brian got so tired of hearing complaints about the lyrics that he no longer had the strength or will to get the Boys into studio for fear of repeat performances of harangues and complaints?

Mike says he didn't like the lyrics.  Mike doesn't think his complaints scuttled the album.  Van Dyke thinks they did.  Brian has said the band's complaints were a major, major bummer.  That's two against one, the way I see it.  Oh, and then there is Anderle's accounts of the Boys giving Brian a hard time.  I'm still not seeing the "story differently" from where I sit.

It's not that black & white, Dan. Only shades of gray.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: August 31, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »

I thinks it's perfect.
Releasing a surf board with Smile is perfect,
It goes perfect with the "irony" of songs like "Surfs Up"
Which isn't even about surfing!

It's iconic irony!

Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: August 31, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »

Yeah, sure, Brian could have sung the missing pieces all by himself.  But he knew it wouldn't sound as good.  And... probably more importantly, even if he did finish it himself, he was still going to have the face the Beach Boys in trying to put it out.  Mike may still have said, "Brian this is going to ruin our careers if you f*ck with the formula."  If it came down to it, Mike and others may have refused to let Brian put the album out under the Beach Boys name.  And without the Beach Boys name it wouldn't have sold as well, and, well... Brian was really hoping and wishing it was going to be the next great Beach Boys' album.  That's what he wanted.  He didn't want it to be a solo album, he wanted it to be a Beach Boys' album.  And if the Beach Boys didn't want it to be a Beach Boys' album, then what was he to do?

And, yes, Andrew, the obstinacy the Beach Boys showed over the album probably wasn't the only reason it didn't come out.  But I think it certainly exacerbated any of the other problems.  And I will never understand how some people can whitewash the fact the the lyricist felt he was pushed out of the project.  If you push the lyricist of the project, how can you hope to finish it as originally planned?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:59:26 PM by Dan Lega » Logged
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »

That's not the way I've heard the story! - Well everyone a hero and no villains.  No rats aboard this magic ship in perfect harmony...Lets go have have chili dollopped with sour cream.

"No rats aboard this magic ship in perfect harmony...."
-- John Lennon, Clean Up Time

Cool

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: August 31, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »

There is tremendous PR pressure, with the box set coming up, to say that the band played no role in Brian's decision to shelve the project.

I don't disagree that it was a complex decision, and that in many ways it was Brian's sole prerogative.

But to then say the other guys had nothing to do with that decision -- when the subsequent decades have repeatedly taught us how sensitive Brian is to the reactions of those close to him -- is ridiculous.

BWPS showed that there was money and acclaim in the Smile project. The 50th anniversary beckons. And so Brian is once again being cashed in on. The work stands on its own, thankfully, but I hope BDW makes it out in one piece.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:05:29 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »

No one's saying the other Beach Boys had nothing to do with it.

But let's be careful not to sit here and imagine scenarios and loop in imaginary Mike dialog.

"shades of gray" as AGD put it is about as close to closure on this issue as we'll ever get.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5685 on: August 31, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »

I wish we could just put this issue to rest. And hopefully come November 1st, we can.

Brian put out BWPS in 2004 to great acclaim.

Now there will be an official Capitol SMILE product with all the guilty parties (sans Carl/Dennis) getting to have their say in the liner notes.

Case closed?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: August 31, 2011, 04:09:47 PM »

Just a thought that I'll overake from AGD in another thread (or maybe this one?):
Will Nov. 1st be early enough for Smile to be considered for a Grammy ?

EDIT:
And might VDP's non-writing have something to do with the "fight" he and Mike had after BWPS ?

Grammy 2012 cutoff is 9/30/2011.

And the non-appearence of any new contribution from VDP has nothing to do with Mike Love.
Can it be submitted to the douche bags that decide the grammy's before it is released, the grammy's suck asseeeesse

Preach it brother.  Look at the list of Grammys Brian Wilson won.  That tells you all you need to know about the Grammys. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: August 31, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »

Surely Mike can pull some strings!!

Mike is persona non grata at award shows.  LOL
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: August 31, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »

Are you saying Brian purposefully mixed in mono despite, in his heart of hearts, not intending to do so?

BW intended, for some point in time, to release SMiLE in 1967 using the available technology. Just as he had released the 10+ prior Beach Boys albums. I bet had he got it finished, he would absolutely have had to splice tape and that's what he would have intended to do. What's the alternative? It's the way they made music. he had absolutely no idea what digital technology was. No-one did!

It's a little like saying 'well, Fender make better basses today then they did in 1967, so I think we should re-record the bass tracks so they have the best bass sound imaginable, as that's what Brian was looking for - he was merely making do with crap bass on his records, but he really wanted the best!'

As for TSS coming in mono, I think it's more of a technical decision - We know it's impossible to create 'real' stereo masters of a few Smile tracks (Good Vibrations, Wonderful, YAMS, portions of H&V off the top of my head) so if your mission is to create as 'complete' a record as you can, you have to use the mono sources. And rather than flipping back and forth between mono/stereo, they just decided to stick with one.

Not trying to hang, it just seems a curious point of view....

Or, what Dr. BB said in one sentence  LOL

To really pour the gas on... Brian Wilson is not really known as being the master of clean mixes.  You can hear everything from farts to the wrong notes to tape cuts to bass lines that compress because somebody started singing, to even missing beats and sh*t on Beach Boys records. 

I think Brian FULLY INTENDED to release Smile with bad tape cuts all over it, that's how he did all the other songs!  Not complaining.  Just saying he wasn't a stickler for that stuff, don't understand how any of his fans could be.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: August 31, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »

You could, um, go to a record store, um, and detach it from the box, hide it under your T-shirt, and run away?

Yeah, I thought o' that.  But the board would be too long to fit under my shirt, so I'd have to shove half of it down my pants and it would look like I had a boner. That would be too embarassing, so I'll have to think of something else....

LOL that made me laugh...

What he really should do, is show up with 4 of his friends in striped shirts, pick the board up on their shoulders, and walk out with it.  They could act like they're just on a photo shoot or something.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: August 31, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »

Are you saying Brian purposefully mixed in mono despite, in his heart of hearts, not intending to do so?

BW intended, for some point in time, to release SMiLE in 1967 using the available technology. Just as he had released the 10+ prior Beach Boys albums. I bet had he got it finished, he would absolutely have had to splice tape and that's what he would have intended to do. What's the alternative? It's the way they made music. he had absolutely no idea what digital technology was. No-one did!

It's a little like saying 'well, Fender make better basses today then they did in 1967, so I think we should re-record the bass tracks so they have the best bass sound imaginable, as that's what Brian was looking for - he was merely making do with crap bass on his records, but he really wanted the best!'

As for TSS coming in mono, I think it's more of a technical decision - We know it's impossible to create 'real' stereo masters of a few Smile tracks (Good Vibrations, Wonderful, YAMS, portions of H&V off the top of my head) so if your mission is to create as 'complete' a record as you can, you have to use the mono sources. And rather than flipping back and forth between mono/stereo, they just decided to stick with one.

To really pour the gas on... Brian Wilson is not really known as being the master of clean mixes.  You can hear everything from farts to the wrong notes to tape cuts to bass lines that compress because somebody started singing, to even missing beats and sh*t on Beach Boys records. 

I think Brian FULLY INTENDED to release Smile with bad tape cuts all over it, that's how he did all the other songs!  Not complaining.  Just saying he wasn't a stickler for that stuff, don't understand how any of his fans could be.

Mike Love might might just disagree with you on the wrong notes point.
He didn't call Brian dog ears for nothing!

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: August 31, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »

Here's an alternate listening theory:
An original mix--whether technically flawed or not--will always sound better to you because you know it, you're intimately familiar with it, and it is the one that caused you to form an intense emotional attachment to it in the first place.

A later mix will be different. And your cherry cannot be unpopped.

(I can think of later versions/editions of albums that I heard first--then heard the originals--same principle, different time sequence...)

That's true, but I think some of it really is to taste too.  Like many who have posted, I much prefer the Mark eq'd version of Pet Sounds in all it's stereo glory.  I mean it sounds twice as good as the mono cd.

To clarify if anybody cares (lol) I'm not against a stereo album, I just don't think they CAN do a stereo album since some of it they dont' have the tapes (at least GV).  As for the sloppy cuts; Brian did lots of sloppy cuts, and released really DIRTY FILTHY records, lol.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: August 31, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »

I think remixing is OK given that this is advertised as 'The Smile Sessions', not 'Smile as it would have sounded in 1967'. The latter sounds to me like a misunderstanding of the intent behind the release, although I can anticipate some false advertising of this as somehow THE Smile album, which is clearly cannot be.

I'm sure the liners/book will make it very clear as to the extent of any remixing/flyins/whatever.

Yes, I think you're right.  They'll probably have a little paragraph for each part like they did in Pet Sounds, kind of telling what went on and what they did, etc.  I'm not worried about it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: August 31, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »

You know, people (that is, the less obsessed and knowledgeable) will hear the sessions when this thing comes out, and they will hear just how many vocals were actually recorded for the unfinished/abandoned album that allegedly had a lot of dissent from within, and they might just start to see the story differently.

This way of thinking always gets to me.  Why couldn't they have recorded the lyrics AND heavily complained about them?  As far as I know it IS physically possible to SING a lyric, (with feeling, too!) even if you don't like it very much!  Throw in the fact that, hey, you're already in the studio AND you're already PAYING for the studio time and engineers.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

... but what's the problem then if they did their job and sang the song?  Brian wasn't asking Mike to write on SMiLE.  Brian wasn't asking Dennis for help recording the album.  He was just asking them to sing.  Which they obviously did.  So whether or not they were happy campers is irrelevant.  We've got one legend of a story of Mike being crucified for 40 years for the mistake of asking what a phrase means.  It's also a fascinating thing that Mike always gets the blame for this, when he did all that was asked of him... and in the close years that followed Brian abandoned the band in a large way. 

I love Brian to death but all the hate the others (Mike especially) get over this album is getting old.  Not aimed at you Dan, I'm just talking about the common perception. 

Love and Merci to you too Dan.  I don't want to offend you so first I'd like to say I respectfully disagree with you.  Van Dyke was such a weak person he walked away from confrontation.  Asking about lyrics.  I mean?  Come on!  Brian was mentally challenged and is today, you can't get a fair shake on what's 'depressing' from Brian Wilson, god bless him but everything depresses him and has for years. 

If vocals weren't recorded; couldn't Brian have recorded them?  Of course he could!  The reason the album didnt' come out has nothing to do with Mike Love.  At all.  If Brian gets the glory (rightfully!) for the album, then he also gets the blame for why it wasn't released. 

We just disagreed, I don't expect you to never post again.  Of course you will.  You'll probably tell me why I'm wrong... that's what adults do!  Van Dyke left the sessions, then later Brian left the group every chance he got and couldn't be goaded into doing anything hardly.  I' not saying Mike is a saint or even a gentleman but saying you dropped an album because somebody asked you what something meant and didn't like your art?  I'm sure glad Mike Love never met Picasso! 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: August 31, 2011, 04:31:45 PM »

I find it funny that in the history of rock/pop music The Beach Boys are apparently the one band where the typical creative differences/disagreements that have wracked most bands while creating so many timeless masterworks amount to high crimes on the part of any member who isn't Brian.

Exactly the point.  God bless Brian, I love him to death but he is, and was, a sick man!  You can't take someone with obvious emotional and psychological issues, and then think it's valid when he gets depressed.  He gets depressed because the sun is shining.  He gets depressed because he imagines he can't write anymore.  I mean I don't want to be hard on the guy but it is what it is. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: August 31, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »

It's not that black & white, Dan. Only shades of gray.

I agree!  Well said.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: August 31, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »

Yeah, sure, Brian could have sung the missing pieces all by himself.  But he knew it wouldn't sound as good.  And... probably more importantly, even if he did finish it himself, he was still going to have the face the Beach Boys in trying to put it out.  Mike may still have said, "Brian this is going to ruin our careers if you f*ck with the formula."  If it came down to it, Mike and others may have refused to let Brian put the album out under the Beach Boys name.  And without the Beach Boys name it wouldn't have sold as well, and, well... Brian was really hoping and wishing it was going to be the next great Beach Boys' album.  That's what he wanted.  He didn't want it to be a solo album, he wanted it to be a Beach Boys' album.  And if the Beach Boys didn't want it to be a Beach Boys' album, then what was he to do?

And, yes, Andrew, the obstinacy the Beach Boys showed over the album probably wasn't the only reason it didn't come out.  But I think it certainly exacerbated any of the other problems.  And I will never understand how some people can whitewash the fact the the lyricist felt he was pushed out of the project.  If you push the lyricist of the project, how can you hope to finish it as originally planned?

Dan, again, all respect, but you're living in a fantasy land if you think Mike told Brian what to put out.  HELLO.  They released Smiley Smile after that.  It's even WEIRDER than Smile.  The criticism that Mike didn't like where it went may be valid, but it didn't keep Brian from releasing Smiley!  Think about that. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: August 31, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »

Mike Love might might just disagree with you on the wrong notes point.
He didn't call Brian dog ears for nothing!

I hear you, but there are plenty of bum notes on Beach Boys songs.  Just none sang by Brian.  LOL
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: August 31, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Paging Phil Cohen... paging Phil Cohen........

Your plate of Crow has been getting cold, since Friday......!

Razz

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: August 31, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »

Paging Phil Cohen... paging Phil Cohen........

Your plate of Crow has been getting cold, since Friday......!

Razz
He posted some waffle on the blue..The guy has freakin issues

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx