gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 10:42:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 230 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737830 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: August 31, 2011, 05:16:40 AM »

I note none of the autographed combos make any mention of who they're autographed by...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: August 31, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »

I have been given the ok by Capitol to tell you that the boxes will be autographed by myself,  The Heartical Don and Al 'Legs' Jardine. The Don is signing them first and sending them from Holland to Blighty, wherein I scrawl senselessly upon them and then post them to the shortest man in rock.

Only thing is, that Don sure is taking his time......

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: August 31, 2011, 05:24:12 AM »

I have been given the ok by Capitol to tell you that the boxes will be autographed by myself,  The Heartical Don and Al 'Legs' Jardine. The Don is signing them first and sending them from Holland to Blighty, wherein I scrawl senselessly upon them and then post them to the shortest man in rock.

I think the all important question here is whether Phil will be signing them?!
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: August 31, 2011, 05:25:02 AM »

I think Wind Chimes might be the early version, since it says 3:06. I've only heard the 2:28 version with vocals  :D

You've got to remember though that on BWPS he added in the Whispering Winds part; so they probably added that back in on this one.  I think this first CD is going to be nearly identical, instrumentally, to BWPS. 

As long as they include the groovy bass part.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5604 on: August 31, 2011, 05:25:44 AM »

Up for UK pre-order at Badlands in Cheltenham  UK - around £130

http://www.badlands.co.uk/Store/Tab.aspx?sck=59061881&tabid=1

Phone is best - just placed mine

£130 plus postage ?  I bought from amazon @ $111, with postage & duty $145, or under £90.

Even at $170, that's still only about £105. Which sucks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: August 31, 2011, 05:27:08 AM »

I think the all important question here is whether Phil will be signing them?!

The Tower apparently have invited Phil to the press listening party, under one condition - That he wears earplugs.....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: August 31, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »

Up for UK pre-order at Badlands in Cheltenham  UK - around £130

http://www.badlands.co.uk/Store/Tab.aspx?sck=59061881&tabid=1

Phone is best - just placed mine

£130 plus postage ?  I bought from amazon @ $111, with postage & duty $145, or under £90.

Even at $170, that's still only about £105. Which sucks.

Spin are doing it at 130, with free postage, which is about what I'm paying for mine from .com - I missed the $110 extravaganza.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: August 31, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »

Just seen that the BBC is reporting the Smile Sessions release on its overseas Teletext pages. That's pretty rare… maybe only the Beatles boxes previously drew that kind of coverage of a rock release?

“We live in divisive times.”
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:02 AM »

Just seen that the BBC is reporting the Smile Sessions release on its overseas Teletext pages. That's pretty rare… maybe only the Beatles boxes previously drew that kind of coverage of a rock release?
And here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14729256

Couple of factual errors but hey, it's out there-what will be interesting is see where it goes in the UK Amazon charts

And the NME choose 2 random photos for their piece:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beach-boys/58949
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:43:40 AM by Cliff1000uk » Logged
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5609 on: August 31, 2011, 05:45:19 AM »

Jsidered for a Grammy ?

And might VDP's non-writing have something to do with the "fight" he and Mike had after BWPS ?

I have never heard anything about this.  What happened?

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5610 on: August 31, 2011, 05:59:35 AM »

Just a thought that I'll overake from AGD in another thread (or maybe this one?):
Will Nov. 1st be early enough for Smile to be considered for a Grammy ?

EDIT:
And might VDP's non-writing have something to do with the "fight" he and Mike had after BWPS ?

Grammy 2012 cutoff is 9/30/2011.

And the non-appearence of any new contribution from VDP has nothing to do with Mike Love.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:05 AM »

Just a thought that I'll overake from AGD in another thread (or maybe this one?):

EDIT:

And the non-appearence of any new contribution from VDP has nothing to do with Mike Love.
Can it be submitted to the douche bags that decide the grammy's before it is released, the grammy's suck asseeeesse

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: August 31, 2011, 06:13:20 AM »

An Aria, now that's an award!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Modern

Van Dyke, helped out with one or two!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5613 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:47 AM »

EDIT:

Can it be submitted to the douche bags that decide the grammy's before it is released, the grammy's suck asseeeesse

Nope - rules say it has to be available on the shops/online by 11.59.59pm on 9/30... and pre-orders don't count !

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: August 31, 2011, 06:25:53 AM »

Surely Mike can pull some strings!!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: August 31, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »

Life until Nov 1 seems so utterly, utterly dull and worthless suddenly.

I sense a lot of boredom ennui on the way ahead.

Think I need a therapist.

Just picking my nose, making boogies, shooting them at my window.

Meh.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5616 on: August 31, 2011, 06:54:39 AM »

I couldn't give a flying fart about the surfboard or a button.
All I'm interested in is the music.
"Been too looong, been way too long ba a a by...."
 Listening Listening Listening Listening Listening

So I assume you won't be coughing up the $6,000 for the Hobie surfboard?  Smiley

If it really were all about the music, they could have sold basically any product or item with a "Smile" logo and made a killing, as long as the fans buy it. I think it would be neat then to have bags of Smile snacks, like they gave away with the Party album in '65.

Although the shark giveaway is tough to beat. That was a great one. Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:39 AM »

I am probably going to dangle from a tree for saying this but why all this extreme nostalgia nitpicking about smile cutting and mixing? Do mono tape splices bad EQ sound so great? I simply do not get it. I think the Pets Sounds new stereo mixes sounds one million times better than the original pet sounds mix that frankly sounds like a sloppy job, and i hope they go in and do the same for smile.

Getting as close to what Brian envisioned for smile seems to be the goal, but that was given the tools he had at the time and that was a limit of tracks that forced bouncing, scissors for cutting tape and a console not made for stereo.  I do not care much for recreating the tracks in mono only and with tape splices just for the sake of prosperity, if you just want to release it exactly as Brian had planned do one LP vinyl cut in mono, mixed Hoffman style and release it. Or perhaps you can listen to the boots through a single speaker.

But we do have other tools today that can get us closer to what Brian intended with the music such as protools, good EQ, and endless tracks. We can make the tracks sound brilliant with perfect cuts between bits, we can make them blend seamlessly. We have the ability to fly in vocals recorded later that's missing and it can be done with taste.

Brian did not intend to use scissors, bad EQ, Mono, tape bounces, different studios. He was limited in the tools he was given at the time and there is a major difference, it can be seen as charming and a part of the sound, me it just bugs to hear bad edits and knowing how good it could sound with todays technology.

A good anology would be Starwars and the rerelase of the movies, the tasteless stuff added was the CGI bar scene, but the good stuff they did was removing ugly matting on the ships, upgrading the picture quality and fixing small errors and bad cuts, i like bad matting as much as i like bad cutting in music. Was it GL´s intention to release Starwars with bad mating, bad puppetry and phony looking planets? no, but it was the only tools that were available to him at the time and that is why he waited with the other movies and revamped the first (Ill never forgive him for Jar Jar tough).

Also there is this notion that Brian was a god at everything, playing, producing, mixing, mastering the works. I would say he was not a god behind the console and were often a victim of his own whims, lets turn help me rhonda ending up and down as a fun prank or lets turn down the background for a half verse on IJWMFTT. He was a good writer arranger and producer ill give him that but mixing...honestly...nahh..

I like the notion of freeing the music from the chains of mono and from the chain of 60´s console EQ...

There i said it, let me hang Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: August 31, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »

Screw the music. I've heard most of SMiLE already. I want the surfboard!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: August 31, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »

I am probably going to dangle from a tree for saying this but why all this extreme nostalgia nitpicking about smile cutting and mixing? Do mono tape splices bad EQ sound so great? I simply do not get it. I think the Pets Sounds new stereo mixes sounds one million times better than the original pet sounds mix that frankly sounds like a sloppy job, and i hope they go in and do the same for smile.

Getting as close to what Brian envisioned for smile seems to be the goal, but that was given the tools he had at the time and that was a limit of tracks that forced bouncing, scissors for cutting tape and a console not made for stereo.  I do not care much for recreating the tracks in mono only and with tape splices just for the sake of prosperity, if you just want to release it exactly as Brian had planned do one LP vinyl cut in mono, mixed Hoffman style and release it. Or perhaps you can listen to the boots through a single speaker.

But we do have other tools today that can get us closer to what Brian intended with the music such as protools, good EQ, and endless tracks. We can make the tracks sound brilliant with perfect cuts between bits, we can make them blend seamlessly. We have the ability to fly in vocals recorded later that's missing and it can be done with taste.

Brian did not intend to use scissors, bad EQ, Mono, tape bounces, different studios. He was limited in the tools he was given at the time and there is a major difference, it can be seen as charming and a part of the sound, me it just bugs to hear bad edits and knowing how good it could sound with todays technology.

A good anology would be Starwars and the rerelase of the movies, the tasteless stuff added was the CGI bar scene, but the good stuff they did was removing ugly matting on the ships, upgrading the picture quality and fixing small errors and bad cuts, i like bad matting as much as i like bad cutting in music. Was it GL´s intention to release Starwars with bad mating, bad puppetry and phony looking planets? no, but it was the only tools that were available to him at the time and that is why he waited with the other movies and revamped the first (Ill never forgive him for Jar Jar tough).

Also there is this notion that Brian was a god at everything, playing, producing, mixing, mastering the works. I would say he was not a god behind the console and were often a victim of his own whims, lets turn help me rhonda ending up and down as a fun prank or lets turn down the background for a half verse on IJWMFTT. He was a good writer arranger and producer ill give him that but mixing...honestly...nahh..

I like the notion of freeing the music from the chains of mono and from the chain of 60´s console EQ...

In general agreement. If I had a choice, I'd go for the clarity of stereo, which I do every time with Pet Sounds these days.  Looking forward to the stereo cuts on these sets.

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: August 31, 2011, 07:36:03 AM »

Getting as close to what Brian envisioned for smile seems to be the goal, but that was given the tools he had at the time and that was a limit of tracks that forced bouncing, scissors for cutting tape and a console not made for stereo.  I do not care much for recreating the tracks in mono only and with tape splices just for the sake of prosperity, if you just want to release it exactly as Brian had planned do one LP vinyl cut in mono, mixed Hoffman style and release it. Or perhaps you can listen to the boots through a single speaker.

Nice post, but about a year to late. I don't see Disc 1 being in mono just because that is the way Brian would have released it in 1967. Mono is really the common denominator of all the sources used to prepare it for high fidelity presentation. The rest of the set has plenty of stereo for you to enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:37:50 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: August 31, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »

Screw the music. I've heard most of SMiLE already. I want the surfboard!

You could, um, go to a record store, um, and detach it from the box, hide it under your T-shirt, and run away?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »

Are you saying Brian purposefully mixed in mono despite, in his heart of hearts, not intending to do so?

BW intended, for some point in time, to release SMiLE in 1967 using the available technology. Just as he had released the 10+ prior Beach Boys albums. I bet had he got it finished, he would absolutely have had to splice tape and that's what he would have intended to do. What's the alternative? It's the way they made music. he had absolutely no idea what digital technology was. No-one did!

It's a little like saying 'well, Fender make better basses today then they did in 1967, so I think we should re-record the bass tracks so they have the best bass sound imaginable, as that's what Brian was looking for - he was merely making do with crap bass on his records, but he really wanted the best!'

As for TSS coming in mono, I think it's more of a technical decision - We know it's impossible to create 'real' stereo masters of a few Smile tracks (Good Vibrations, Wonderful, YAMS, portions of H&V off the top of my head) so if your mission is to create as 'complete' a record as you can, you have to use the mono sources. And rather than flipping back and forth between mono/stereo, they just decided to stick with one.

Not trying to hang, it just seems a curious point of view....

Or, what Dr. BB said in one sentence  LOL

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:43 AM »

I am probably going to dangle from a tree for saying this but why all this extreme nostalgia nitpicking about smile cutting and mixing? Do mono tape splices bad EQ sound so great? I simply do not get it. I think the Pets Sounds new stereo mixes sounds one million times better than the original pet sounds mix that frankly sounds like a sloppy job, and i hope they go in and do the same for smile. Getting as close to what Brian envisioned for smile seems to be the goal, but that was given the tools he had at the time and that was a limit of tracks that forced bouncing, scissors for cutting tape and a console not made for stereo.  I do not care much for recreating the tracks in mono only and with tape splices just for the sake of prosperity.

Completely agree with all of this. Give me the stereo versions. Far and away better than the mono mixes. I've already heard the mono mixes 487 times each. I want to be enlightened now. And give me what Brian originally envisioned, not a bunch of cut and paste edits that us amateurs can do already. If Brian signs off on it, that's good enough for me.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: August 31, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »

I am probably going to dangle from a tree for saying this but why all this extreme nostalgia nitpicking about smile cutting and mixing? Do mono tape splices bad EQ sound so great? I simply do not get it. I think the Pets Sounds new stereo mixes sounds one million times better than the original pet sounds mix that frankly sounds like a sloppy job, and i hope they go in and do the same for smile. Getting as close to what Brian envisioned for smile seems to be the goal, but that was given the tools he had at the time and that was a limit of tracks that forced bouncing, scissors for cutting tape and a console not made for stereo.  I do not care much for recreating the tracks in mono only and with tape splices just for the sake of prosperity.

Completely agree with all of this. Give me the stereo versions. Far and away better than the mono mixes. I've already heard the mono mixes 487 times each. I want to be enlightened now. And give me what Brian originally envisioned, not a bunch of cut and paste edits that us amateurs can do already. If Brian signs off on it, that's good enough for me.
Mikie, isn't that the purpose of modular recording to cut & paste? I don't see what Mark did as any different than what Brian would have done, and did. Also, when listening to an album, I don't like the mixing of stereo and mono. With whole albums presentation means a lot.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.