gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681338 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 09:36:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1748998 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5575 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »

Would it have made sense to promote the Pet Sounds Sessions box set with a similar surfboard tie-in?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: August 30, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »

And might VDP's non-writing have something to do with the "fight" he and Mike had after BWPS ?

They had a "fight" after BWPS ? Of what sort?

It was pistols at dawn. Outside the cantinia in a town full of heroes and villians. Back to back, ten paces, turn around and shoot. VDP clipped Mike in the ego. Fortunately Mike's ego was more than large enough to sustain the shot.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »

Man, who is excited about "Teeter Totter Love" being on the box set. This is one of those rarities I've always wanted to hear--a real Smile mystery. I am sure it will be really weird.

I'm stoked about "I Don't Know" getting on there (a Dennis song I believe). But where is my "Surf's Up" 2nd movement? Big bummer about the lack of that. And "3 Blind Mice"? That has nothing to do with Smile other than it was been put on Smile boots by accident. Might as well put on Miles Davis' “Here Comes de Honeydew Man” too.  Alas, there is no Inside Pop sound reals on the box set list. It would be so amazing to hear those tapes. Also, no H&V from May 1966 (I think it doesn't exist anymore. I'm real interested in the 2 tracks under the heading Da Da Session (12/22/66). Also wondering what the "Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak" is all about. If there is verse lyrics on one of the versions of "Child Is Father Of The Man" I will have died and gone to heaven (my guess is there isn't a chance in hell it will happen).

I just laid down $170.73 on the pre-order today on Amazon. Even if I've already heard 99% of the material, I'd pay $170.73 to hear "Teeter Totter Love". And hell, It's about time I paid the BBs for this Smile music I have been enjoying on bootleg for so long!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: August 30, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »

Also wondering what the "Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak" is all about.

Mission Pak may have been solved.  Someone up the chain noticed on H&V Volume 1 there is a track where The Beach Boys are practicing an acapella lift and Brian implores them to sing with that "Happy Happy Mission Pak" sound.  Someone also made mention that "Mission Pak" was a company in the sixties that made fruit cakes and had a well known jingle which may have been what Brian was referring to.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5579 on: August 30, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

Also wondering what the "Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak" is all about.

Mission Pak may have been solved.  Someone up the chain noticed on H&V Volume 1 there is a track where The Beach Boys are practicing an acapella lift and Brian implores them to sing with that "Happy Happy Mission Pak" sound.  Someone also made mention that "Mission Pak" was a company in the sixties that made fruit cakes and had a well known jingle which may have been what Brian was referring to.

Not fruit cakes! Grin They shipped fresh California fruit anywhere in the US, bringing a "taste of California" to the rest of the States. The modern equivalent is "Harry And David" whose catalogs offer similar fresh deliveries.

Still working on more info for Mission Pak - as I'm not a Californian I've never heard the jingle which apparently was a part of a lot of people's memories from their youth.

And I'm still trying to figure out if it was the "spreading California to the rest of the US" Manifest Destiny theme that drew in Brian and VDP, or whether it was hearing the jingle at Christmas and going for a similar sound reference. They don't name-check a fruit distribution company without a good reason... Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5580 on: August 30, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »

I know he's (Bruce) is not an original, but he was involved with this album as much as Al or Mike. 

Really?  As much as Al and Mike?  How so?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »

I know he's (Bruce) is not an original, but he was involved with this album as much as Al or Mike. 

Really?  As much as Al and Mike?  How so?

He was around.  He sang.  He didn't write.  He left and played concerts.  This was Brian and Van Dyke's show, the rest were just bystanders.  Bruce's comments on the album are just as valid as Al's.  Mike's are more important only because we want to ask him about Van Dyke. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: August 30, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »

And I'm still trying to figure out if it was the "spreading California to the rest of the US" Manifest Destiny theme that drew in Brian and VDP, or whether it was hearing the jingle at Christmas and going for a similar sound reference. They don't name-check a fruit distribution company without a good reason... Wink

I definately think you're right on this... it was probably a really popular jingle at the time, there are local air conditioning companies in my area that have jingles they play on the radio and t.v., and if I sang a bar or mentioned the company name, everybody that lives around here would know exactly what I was talking about.  I'll bet when Brian said that they knew exactly what he meant, but looking back 45 years we miss the reference... until you or whoever figured it out.  Bravo!  Well done.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:16 PM »

Would it have made sense to promote the Pet Sounds Sessions box set with a similar surfboard tie-in?

Surfboard tie-in? There was a surfboard pin for the 93 box set. There was a real surf board signed by the Beach Boys for some other release but can't remember what it was.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5584 on: August 30, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »

Surfboard tie-in? There was a surfboard pin for the 93 box set. There was a real surf board signed by the Beach Boys for some other release but can't remember what it was.

The 93 box set apparently had a surfboard sticker (which my brand new sealed box set didn't have when I bought it. Damn!). But my point was I'm seeing where some here are questioning the relevance of a surfboard - an actual, professional quality surfboard - to a Smile project. And the question becomes would a surfboard promotional item have fit a Pet Sounds box set? If the music isn't about surfing, in fact it was an overly deliberate attempt to distance these songs from the band's surfing image, why the board?

I still think they're missing a golden opportunity with bobblehead figures...I'd love to be listening to the box set November 1st, have my own "Vosse Posse" of bobbleheads lined up on the table, and whenever something good comes up in the music, I'd kick the table and have Anderle, Vosse, Hutton, etc. nodding in agreement. Just like November 1966. Smiley

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09:47 PM »

Yeah, I know what you were talking about regarding the surfboard and the question of it tieing in with Smile. Ironic since Brian and the Boys were trying to lose the surfing image at that point in '66/'67 and Brian was more serious with his writing. That same year Capitol releases a greatest hits album with retro surf songs on it which countered the more artistic seriousness of Pet Sounds. And now they're essentially doing it again! Probably an idea of a young employee of the Capitol marketing department.

That said, I would LOVE to have that surfboard!

willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5586 on: August 31, 2011, 01:11:59 AM »

Nah an autographed stuffed goat would've been more apt.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:48 AM »

I couldn't give a flying fart about the surfboard or a button.
All I'm interested in is the music.
"Been too looong, been way too long ba a a by...."
 Listening Listening Listening Listening Listening

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:56 AM »

The highlight of 2012 (50th anniversary and all that):

a similar Summer In Paradise bonanza. With, again, a 9 disc Box Set leading the pack. That was Mike's condition for approving this fest we're celebrating now. Pre-ordering starts on June 21, 2012, with starting bids at around $ 5,999.95 - and that is with a live tiger shark as a bonus.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: August 31, 2011, 02:51:10 AM »

BTW the CD1 of the box set will also be available as a single commercial CD, go HERE.

I wonder: will this thing have something that makes it 'unique' too? Different booklet? All liner notes by VDP? A hidden John Stamos rendition of 'Surf's Up'?

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:05 AM »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:48:40 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: August 31, 2011, 03:04:52 AM »

I just got an email from Rise in Bristol who said they have only just heard from EMI with the details for pre-sale

The deluxe boxset will be around £150

All details will be on their site imminently

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »

Up for UK pre-order at Badlands in Cheltenham  UK - around £130

http://www.badlands.co.uk/Store/Tab.aspx?sck=59061881&tabid=1

Phone is best - just placed mine

Cheers

Richard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:23 AM »

Up for UK pre-order at Badlands in Cheltenham  UK - around £130

Sure you didn't just order the Quadrophenia boxset?    LOL
http://www.badlands.co.uk/Items/2777840%20-%20copy?sck=59061881&caSKU=2777840%20-%20copy&caTitle=Beach%20Boys%20%20-%20SMiLE%20Sessions%20Deluxe%20Box%20Set%20NEW%205CD/DVD

“We live in divisive times.”
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:23 AM »

Up for UK pre-order at Badlands in Cheltenham  UK - around £130

Sure you didn't just order the Quadrophenia boxset?   Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

THAT"S WHY I PHONED

Cheers

Richard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:39 AM »

BTW the CD1 of the box set will also be available as a single commercial CD, go HERE.

I wonder: will this thing have something that makes it 'unique' too? Different booklet? All liner notes by VDP? A hidden John Stamos rendition of 'Surf's Up'?

Aye the 1CD was on a release sheet a while back but I wonder why Spin are using bootleg artwork when the other releases feature official artwork? Are they making an assumption?

Don't see anything unique about it at this stage…maybe a half-chewed vega-table?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: August 31, 2011, 03:34:17 AM »

Thanks Tansen, have taken this to the Spoiler thread so-as not to psis anyone here off.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: August 31, 2011, 03:35:36 AM »

Aye the 1CD was on a release sheet a while back but I wonder why Spin are using bootleg artwork when the other releases feature official artwork? Are they making an assumption?

Don't see anything unique about it at this stage…maybe a half-chewed vega-table?

Grin...or they're trying to unload lots of SOT #16s this way that no one wants any more...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:54 AM »

Grin...or they're trying to unload lots of SOT #16s this way that no one wants any more...

LOL  Genius!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: August 31, 2011, 04:42:44 AM »

Oh sh*t, guys, you know what else comes out on November 1st......

The Lou Reed and Metallica album!

I think music is going to give up that day.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:44:49 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx