gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:02:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1742760 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5550 on: August 30, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »

I was just thinking about this earlier today. The 2 LPs in the box set are the same as the 2 LP vinyl set that will be released at the same time. It is kind of a drag that the extra tracks on side four of the vinyls couldn't just be added to one of the discs, unless, of course, there is no more room on the discs in order to allow such a measure.

Call me a stickler for historical accuracy, but a 1967 Beach Boys LP would not have been split over three sides with a fourth side of "bonus tracks". If you add the track times on the vinyl for the first three sides, it runs 48:24. There were LPs that ran around the same length in 1967.

Might the vinyl discs (at least sides 1, 2, 3) be in 45rpm for better sound quality ala Radiohead?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »

Hollywood, California – August 30, 2011 – With the full participation of original Beach Boys Al Jardine, Mike Love, and Brian Wilson.......

So what is Bruce Johnston, chopped liver???

That's what I thought too; I know he's not an original, but he was involved with this album as much as Al or Mike.  They do mention later that he wrote a new essay about the album. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »

Again as someone said up the chain for now the only reason we can assume that Van Dyke didn't do a write up for this set is because he didn't want to.  

Not... exactly...

Exactly... what... then... ?

*YAWN*

You're not the only one, man, you're not the only one. 
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »

Didn't see where anybody had posted this, so sorry if a repeat:

http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Sessions-Box-Set/dp/B004RFYEEC/ref=pd_sim_m_1

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: August 30, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »

Umm... thanks.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: August 30, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

Wow. Your screen name is very appropriate.  LOL
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »

Can't afford all this forthcoming SMiLE stuff. Guess it's time to get a loan.

the best ones, truly, take a few seconds to catch.  It took me at least 30 seconds to catch that one.  Bravo. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: August 30, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »

You know, people (that is, the less obsessed and knowledgeable) will hear the sessions when this thing comes out, and they will hear just how many vocals were actually recorded for the unfinished/abandoned album that allegedly had a lot of dissent from within, and they might just start to see the story differently.

This way of thinking always gets to me.  Why couldn't they have recorded the lyrics AND heavily complained about them?  As far as I know it IS physically possible to SING a lyric, (with feeling, too!) even if you don't like it very much!  Throw in the fact that, hey, you're already in the studio AND you're already PAYING for the studio time and engineers.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

... but what's the problem then if they did their job and sang the song?  Brian wasn't asking Mike to write on SMiLE.  Brian wasn't asking Dennis for help recording the album.  He was just asking them to sing.  Which they obviously did.  So whether or not they were happy campers is irrelevant.  We've got one legend of a story of Mike being crucified for 40 years for the mistake of asking what a phrase means.  It's also a fascinating thing that Mike always gets the blame for this, when he did all that was asked of him... and in the close years that followed Brian abandoned the band in a large way. 

I love Brian to death but all the hate the others (Mike especially) get over this album is getting old.  Not aimed at you Dan, I'm just talking about the common perception. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

Yup, haha, I've gotta say, I'm only kinda impressed... But then again, it IS H&V, the most booted of all SMiLE tracks!

ALSO: I CALL CREDIT FOR FINDING IT!! HAHA LOSERS!

You never played fair at recess, heh?   LOL!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »

36. Heroes And Villains Piano Demo (incorporating “I’m In Great Shape” and “Barnyard”) Brian with Van Dyke Parks and “Humble Harve” Miller, KHJ Radio (11/4/66) (4:17)
Don't we only have about 2:30 of this?

We have a 4 minute version on the H&V Sessions bootleg.

The longest version I've heard is 5:30, but the extra time is just barely audible talking.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »

I CANNOT believe that they’re doing that bogus surf board thing...for fukking SMILE of all albums. Way to really solidify the cliche surf image for eternity, Capitol. Maybe it was Mike Love’s idea.

Um.  I don't know if you've noticed, Monicker, but they're called the fucking BEACH BOYS.  Kind of hard to get away from it. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »

man i really want a light-up SMiLE shop on my box! 700 bucks?!!! really??!!!!!

the surfboard is pretty friggin' sweet too if you ask me. but 6 grand is completely outrageous.

For 6 grand I'd want the box delivered by Brian with some hash joints

I'd want it delivered by Brian in a large white "ACME" van. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »

Call me a stickler for historical accuracy, but a 1967 Beach Boys LP would not have been split over three sides with a fourth side of "bonus tracks". If you add the track times on the vinyl for the first three sides, it runs 48:24. There were LPs that ran around the same length in 1967.

I know it's been beat to death, but I think this is one of the biggest problems with the BWPS 3 suite setup.  It doesn't work on a double sided LP, beacuse they would have had to split it in the middle of the second movement.  So either that wasn't the original idea, OR, Brian hadn't decided what to do on the LP yet. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: August 30, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »

I think Wind Chimes might be the early version, since it says 3:06. I've only heard the 2:28 version with vocals  :D

You've got to remember though that on BWPS he added in the Whispering Winds part; so they probably added that back in on this one.  I think this first CD is going to be nearly identical, instrumentally, to BWPS. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: August 30, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »

I CANNOT believe that they’re doing that bogus surf board thing...for fukking SMILE of all albums. Way to really solidify the cliche surf image for eternity, Capitol. Maybe it was Mike Love’s idea.

Um.  I don't know if you've noticed, Monicker, but they're called the friggin' BEACH BOYS.  Kind of hard to get away from it. 

That may be, but just because that's the association that the idiot record buying public generally has doesn't mean that they (they being Capitol) have to assist in perpetuating it!  Especially for this particular release, it's completely unnecessary.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: August 30, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »

Um.  I don't know if you've noticed, Monicker, but they're called the friggin' BEACH BOYS.  Kind of hard to get away from it. 

That may be, but just because that's the association that the idiot record buying public generally has doesn't mean that they (they being Capitol) have to assist in perpetuating it!  Especially for this particular release, it's completely unnecessary.

Surf's Up!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »

I thinks it's perfect.
Releasing a surf board with Smile is perfect,
It goes perfect with the "irony" of songs like "Surfs Up"
Which isn't even about surfing!

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

Wow. Your screen name is very appropriate.  LOL

Haha...Hey, I knew it was the big news today and I went back about 6 pages, but people were still acting as if they were unsure on the price.  Just making sure.  223 pages -- couldn't go through em all!

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5568 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »

Welcome back! It's been a while...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #5569 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »

Well, more like 20 pages of real discussion, 100 pages of off-topic sh*t, and 103 pages of Phil Cohen conspiracy theories and the responses to them.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5570 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »

One of the things that occurs to me is...the Beach Boys-Capitol seem to actually be doing this right. Not only in terms of content, but in the marketing. For once they haven't totally blown it. That's exciting to me.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »

One of the things that occurs to me is...the Beach Boys-Capitol seem to actually be doing this right. Not only in terms of content, but in the marketing. For once they haven't totally blown it. That's exciting to me.

And to me..

Capitol are kicking ass

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5572 on: August 30, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »

Call me a stickler for historical accuracy

You're a stickler for historical accuracy.  Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5573 on: August 30, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »

And might VDP's non-writing have something to do with the "fight" he and Mike had after BWPS ?

They had a "fight" after BWPS ? Of what sort?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5574 on: August 30, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »

Where are the track lengths for all box set CDs to be found? Thanks for posting the lengths to CD 1 a couple of pages ago.

It's all on the Brian Wilson Website's press release, scroll to the bottom

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_08-30-11.html

Thanks, George!  Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx