gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728757 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4025 on: August 21, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »

Personally, I'd love to hear Brian and his band perform "Johnny Carson."  Seriously.

Isn't there an instance of that on one of Brian's concert albums??? I think on Pet Sounds Live there's one point where someone in the crowd yells for "Johnny Carson." Brian hears it and says "'Johnny Carson'Huh Seriously??"

Aaaand...I think right before "Love And Mercy" on Live At The Roxy Theater you can hear someone yell for "Honkin' Down The Highway."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 21, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »

So, where were we?

We're on a pan-patriotic, trans-presidential vibe, Americana personified, we have a platform to bring a Mark Twain kind-of irony to rock and roll. LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4027 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »

So, where were we?

We're on a pan-patriotic, trans-presidential vibe, Americana personified, we have a platform to bring a Mark Twain kind-of irony to rock and roll. LOL

Speak for yourself, I'm English

So I suppose I'm on a pan-tomime horsic, trans-substantiation denying  vibe. You guys can keep the Beatles. Brian is ours.

Come on, we've rowed about everything else, lets create an international incident between Britain and the US, culminating in the Queen formally refusing to recognise the declaration of independance, and reclaiming what is rightfully ours, including all US property, specifically all the SMiLE tapes. Mispelling the word 'colour' becomes punishable by death. The BBC is forced to apologise for adopting the term season instead of series in relation to episodic television broadcasts. Brian is captured and spends the remainder of his days playing the whole Love You album at the RFH every night.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:52:05 AM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »

Come on, we've rowed about everything else, lets create an international incident between Britain and the US, culminating in the Queen formally refusing to recognise the declaration of independance, and reclaiming what is rightfully ours, including all US property, specifically all the SMiLE tapes. Mispelling the word 'colour' becomes punishable by death. The BBC is forced to apologise for adopting the term season instead of series in relation to episodic television broadcasts. Brian is captured and spends the remainder of his days playing the whole Love You album at the RFH every night.

… and should mispelling [sic] the words "misspelling" and "dependence" also therefore become punishable by death?   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Jason
« Reply #4029 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:31 AM »

So much for British exceptionalism.  Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 22, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »

So, where were we?

Speak for yourself, I'm English

So I suppose I'm on a pan-tomime horsic, trans-substantiation denying  vibe. You guys can keep the Beatles. Brian is ours.

Brian will be rescued by U.S Special Forces in daring raid with David Leaf as the unit's guide. Mike will provide a diversion with a live performance of "country love" along with Bruce putting everybody to sleep with a live show of "going public".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:06:13 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 22, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »

Personally, I'd love to hear Brian and his band perform "Johnny Carson."  Seriously.

Moi aussi.  Call me insane, if you must!

Brian should perform the "Love You" album in its glorious entirity!

I realize it's not everyone's cuppa tea, but it's fabulous!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4032 on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »

… and should mispelling [sic] the words "misspelling" and "dependence" also therefore become punishable by death?   Grin

Damn you, spell checker!
PhilCohen
« Reply #4033 on: August 22, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »

By the way, it may reassure you to know, that I'm not going to resume jousting with Andrew Doe. No matter where you stand on the subject of whether the release of a "Smile" box is likely or not, and whether Capitol's secrecy is justified or whether it is unreasonable, I think that there is one thing that isn't in doubt: If Capitol & The Beach Boys want to release a "Smile" box, then they will, and if they don't want to release it, then they won't.

What any internet forum member posts on this forum(or other similar forums) is going to have absolutely no effect on the end result. I'm sure that EMI/Capitol Records , The Beach Boys & the others involved in this box set project are totally oblivious to public opinion, and the frustrated and disappointed fans. They don't give a damn.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4034 on: August 22, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »

By the way, it may reassure you to know, that I'm not going to resume jousting with Andrew Doe. No matter where you stand on the subject of whether the release of a "Smile" box is likely or not, and whether Capitol's secrecy is justified or whether it is unreasonable, I think that there is one thing that isn't in doubt: If Capitol & The Beach Boys want to release a "Smile" box, then they will, and if they don't want to release it, then they won't.

After the months of hard work invested in the box, not to mention the huge sums expended on mastering the tapes, acquiring artwork, commissioning articles & research and preparing the packaging... well, of course there's a serious question as to whether they really want to release it. So obvious they're in two minds.

What any internet forum member posts on this forum(or other similar forums) is going to have absolutely no effect on the end result. I'm sure that EMI/Capitol Records , The Beach Boys & the others involved in this box set project are totally oblivious to public opinion, and the frustrated and disappointed fans. They don't give a damn.

That's one of two things I admire about Phil: he's consistent in always being 100% wrong in what he thinks, and posts. The other ? He posts under his own name.

And people, don't worry, this is my final word on this insane topic in this thread: I don't need to 'joust' with Phil, because every single time he posts something here, he makes a far better job of underlining what a complete idiot he is than I could ever hope to, so as he's doing my job for me, I'll leave him to it.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:44:34 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: August 22, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »

Hey Phil, show me some disappointed fans besides yourself and whatisnamenowadays. Everyone here is ok, a bit tetchy but happy to wait. The Hoffman board is full of dudes reminiscing about their smile bootlegs and discussing H&V tracklistings. Where are the disgruntled fans?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: August 22, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »

of course, instead of posting that I could have tried to stop the tides or lasso the moon, or maybe impregnate a nun

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FUNł
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: August 22, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »

hey dudes, whats up? i've been gone for a while but i've returned to a lot of discussion that the sessions box isn't going to be released now?! what happened??? and who is phil cohen?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: August 22, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »

hey dudes, whats up? i've been gone for a while but i've returned to a lot of discussion that the sessions box isn't going to be released now?! what happened??? and who is phil cohen?
Where to start with explaining what has happened on board with the SMiLE Box discusion....        Abridged version of events- SMiLE is still coming out  but some posters don't think it is.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: August 22, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »

Respectfully, Phil, aren't you the same person who defended your vocal and repetitive skepticism (putting it mildly), saying you were (paraphrasing) "keeping the pressure on" Capitol and "holding them accountable" for following through on their March promises? Didn't you cite your valiant efforts on behalf of the liberation of the Beatles remasters and the Neil Young Archives, implying that you (and other internet malcontents activists) had "forced" their release by being loud and proud in your complaining and nay-saying?

That WAS you, of course. Why the about-face now? Have the Beach Boys broken you? Are you now convinced that you're merely a solitary, unheard voice in the wilderness, a cork on the ocean, a leaf on a windy day? I hope not, because I think the truth of the matter is somewhere in between the two extremes -- I think that Capitol and the BBs (or at least "people" in their camps) ARE aware of us, and I think they DO give a damn about us (we're the captive -- and paying -- audience after all). I just don't think that the constant (and allegedly misguided) negative braying was ever going to make them go faster, or change their marketing strategy.

I'm glad the "debate" between you and Andrew has died down; it really was wasting everyone's time. As I've indicated several times in my own responses, I would have been totally with you if your argument had been simply that Capitol has done a terrible job of keeping the buzz alive (and interactive) with the fans in between the March announcement and the eventual release "this year." There could have been more interviews, more streamed tracks, podcasts, video shorts, a dedicated website for The Smile Sessions, etc. etc. etc. There was SO much they could have done besides raise our expectations sky high and then letting us drift for months. But once you decided that the project was "troubled" or that the invested parties were "reluctant" to release it, or once you assumed that it was sinking in legal trouble or that it was doomed to non-release -- and then you repeatedly insulted anyone who had a more positive outlook -- that's when you lost me.

I'm still confident that TSS will be released this year. There's too much circumstantial evidence to support its release, and almost NO evidence to the contrary. If, for example, Brian's website admins had quietly removed the March announcement from his front page (and the top of the bloo board), THAT'S the kind of thing that could inspire doubt in me. But it's still there, as of today, and it's been there EVERY DAY since March. We have acknowledged insiders saying "Patience" and "Soon" -- which is probably all they're allowed to say. I will be too overjoyed (and relieved, and a little exhausted) when the release date and track list finally gets announced, so I just want to say now that I hope when it happens, you'll come back here and say "Sorry, guys, I was dead wrong" -- and then everyone else will just let it go.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:28:55 PM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »

of course, instead of posting that I could have tried to stop the tides or lasso the moon, or maybe impregnate a nun

Good luck in all your endeavors...

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: August 22, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »

Would it be in poor taste to ask that Doe and Cohen, and all those lining up behind their impassioned positions, call an armistice on all future debate about anything speculative? I don't know any of you chaps personally but, forgive the candour, every iteration of this disagreement (because it certainly isn't a debate) adds nothing to our collective understanding of anything except your entrenched and probably heartfelt positions. You may as well be arguing about whether Man U or Chelsea is more likely to win the Whatever Cup next season. It's entirely uninformative, and all the main players here are capable of being informative. It's what they do best. 

Kick me if I'm being a turd. 
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:11 PM »

I think ! might write a book entitled -Smiley Smile dot net(The SMiLE sessions box set Thread) which covers all  160 pages of the drama filled thread.
I think it may just be a best seller, however we might have to create a better ending as opposed to the abrupt one forced upon us by Mr Thought Police. Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:12:17 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: August 22, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »

i was hoping i'd be the first on page 200, but we never got there Sad
Ok, I lay my cards on the table, i WILL be first on page 50 on this one.

I take on all challengers!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: August 22, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »

I think ! might write a book entitled -Smiley Smile dot net(The SMiLE sessions box set Thread) which covers all  160 pages of the drama filled thread.
I think it may just be a best seller, however we might have to create a better ending as opposed to the abrupt one forced upon us by Mr Thought Police. Grin Grin

Indeed! That thread is a spectacular insight into the sociological realms of online activity...it should, nay, needs to be, made into a book.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: August 22, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »

Every day we inch a little closer to November

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: August 22, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

Yes ,only ten weeks to go till Tues 1ST November. Rock! Rock! Listening Listening Listening

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
ghost
« Reply #4047 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »

November? More like  Rock!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »

Yes ,only ten weeks to go till Tues 1ST November. Rock! Rock! Listening Listening Listening

Kool-Aid Man Kool-Aid Man

Ohhh yeahh

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: August 22, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »

'Beach Boys' Brian Wilson Comes to Napa
http://napa.patch.com/articles/beach-boys-brian-wilson-comes-to-napa

Early next year, the long-thought-lost original “Smile” sessions will finally be released, featuring the full Beach Boys line-up as they were in 1967.

Say it ain't so...  Wall
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx