gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:41:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 136 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728741 times)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3250 on: August 07, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »

I hope there'll be some lovely, clear, stereo 'H&V Prelude To Fade' variations included.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
cutterschoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: August 07, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »

Can anyone condense any useful information on the SMiLE boxset from the last 130 pages into an easy-to-digest summary for me, please?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #3252 on: August 07, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »

Can anyone condense any useful information on the SMiLE boxset from the last 130 pages into an easy-to-digest summary for me, please?

Yes, it's being released sometime.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: August 07, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »

It's coming out, probably in October.
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: August 07, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »

Here's how I do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGLyt1I8Wuc&feature=related

it only takes about 4:17

oh yeah and this.... you've got to accentuate the positive... eliminate the negative... latch onto the affirmative and don't mess with mister in-between... so on and so forth

and then I remind myself what happens when you turn a frown upside-down.

Smiley

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: August 07, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_03-14-11.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: August 07, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »

Rock!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jason
« Reply #3257 on: August 07, 2011, 10:38:55 PM »

If 130 pages of this is what we need to go through on the road to the box set, I would rather have seen the damn thing left unreleased.

I can't even put into words how much I disagree with Phil's thoughts with regards to the box set but I'll certainly defend his right to have them and to express them if he so wishes. This is something I am finding to be in short supply among the so-called open minds that lurk around here, especially those who find themselves so concerned with something they call "free speech". I'd say those same folks are more concerned with their own rights to free expression and that those with whom they disagree should just be silenced for the good of all of the fan base. Phil Cohen is just another Robert Faurisson spewing his conspiracy theories, so he has no right to his opinion and should be burned at the stake - right? That's the feeling I get from the responses here. I use the extreme comparison to Faurisson in order to make a point. We either defend the speech of those whose views we loathe or we decide against that and prefer fascism.

For those of you who seem to have problems regarding the methods with which this board is moderated, the other mods and I are not completely unapproachable, you know. We're certainly willing to take things at face value and we can admit to being wrong. We're human, too. But at the same time we have to try and keep some form of neutrality with regards to issues on this board. We get reports all the time from folks saying "can you just ban this moron?", "he/she's a fucking troll", "he/she contributes nothing of value", "I don't like his/her opinion" (I sh*t you not, I've seen one report like that), and so on. If we banned everyone just because someone else here had a disagreement of any kind, I'd dare say we'd be down to about a dozen members. However, the fact that we're mods does not mean that we're just going to sit idly by in conversations, especially when the discussions become in-depth and the participants rancorous. We don't try to give the impression of being above the membership here. We're fans. We're going to get down and dirty in the discussions here. Can't take it? Stay out of the kitchen. Just don't try to give us a bunch of brouhaha about people offending you and you want them gone forever. I'd say if you can't take text on a screen, I'd highly suggest you lock yourselves in a padded room and spend time talking to the only one who you will find to be sane - yourself. The real world is a scary place. If a coworker says something to you that you don't like, what do you do, go to your boss and demand said coworker's termination? Grow thicker skins, for Christ's sake. We're going to argue. We're going to bicker. We're going to disagree. That's LIFE.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: August 07, 2011, 11:22:01 PM »

If 130 pages of this is what we need to go through on the road to the box set, I would rather have seen the damn thing left unreleased.

I can't even put into words how much I disagree with Phil's thoughts with regards to the box set but I'll certainly defend his right to have them and to express them if he so wishes. This is something I am finding to be in short supply among the so-called open minds that lurk around here, especially those who find themselves so concerned with something they call "free speech". I'd say those same folks are more concerned with their own rights to free expression and that those with whom they disagree should just be silenced for the good of all of the fan base. Phil Cohen is just another Robert Faurisson spewing his conspiracy theories, so he has no right to his opinion and should be burned at the stake - right? That's the feeling I get from the responses here. I use the extreme comparison to Faurisson in order to make a point. We either defend the speech of those whose views we loathe or we decide against that and prefer fascism.

For those of you who seem to have problems regarding the methods with which this board is moderated, the other mods and I are not completely unapproachable, you know. We're certainly willing to take things at face value and we can admit to being wrong. We're human, too. But at the same time we have to try and keep some form of neutrality with regards to issues on this board. We get reports all the time from folks saying "can you just ban this moron?", "he/she's a friggin' troll", "he/she contributes nothing of value", "I don't like his/her opinion" (I sh*t you not, I've seen one report like that), and so on. If we banned everyone just because someone else here had a disagreement of any kind, I'd dare say we'd be down to about a dozen members. However, the fact that we're mods does not mean that we're just going to sit idly by in conversations, especially when the discussions become in-depth and the participants rancorous. We don't try to give the impression of being above the membership here. We're fans. We're going to get down and dirty in the discussions here. Can't take it? Stay out of the kitchen. Just don't try to give us a bunch of brouhaha about people offending you and you want them gone forever. I'd say if you can't take text on a screen, I'd highly suggest you lock yourselves in a padded room and spend time talking to the only one who you will find to be sane - yourself. The real world is a scary place. If a coworker says something to you that you don't like, what do you do, go to your boss and demand said coworker's termination? Grow thicker skins, for Christ's sake. We're going to argue. We're going to bicker. We're going to disagree. That's LIFE.

Thumbs up! Drinking Buddies

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: August 07, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »

What was this place like before TSS? Those were the glory days. We got our first press release on the day of the Japanese Earthquake, will we get our second on the day of the great stock market crash of 2011?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:48:11 PM by Sgt. SMiLE » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: August 07, 2011, 11:57:55 PM »

What was this place like before TSS? Those were the glory days. We got our first press release on the day of the Japanese Earthquake, will we get our second on the day of the great stock market crash of 2011?
The market tommorrow is vital...

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: August 08, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:58:19 AM by Chris Moise » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: August 08, 2011, 12:25:04 AM »

I just got home from a nice weekend trip with the wife and to my big disappointment I had to work my way through 6 full pages of replies on this topic. What a waste of time and how sad to see that for some it's too difficult to at least keep the tone civil. And all that on a topic that is supposed to make us "SMiLE". I really don't get it. ...

I can't and won't pick out anyone specific here. I'll simply keep it with this: we're all fans here, we all have an opinion on this SMiLE box, our opinions sometimes differ drastically, it's clear that some among us really don't like each other, which is all OK. But please, PLEASE, at least try not to make negative/insulting personal remarks towards others (even if you think it's the only effective way). I know there's not a button for it on this board, but do the most sensible thing which is called "IGNORE".

Unless my memory's fading faster that I think, there used to be just such an option. Could it be reinstated ?

I have to look that one up (as I can't even recall that we had such an option on this board). In the mean while the best alternative is count to 10 and not reply.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: August 08, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »

Just don't try to give us a bunch of brouhaha about people offending you and you want them gone forever. I'd say if you can't take text on a screen, I'd highly suggest you lock yourselves in a padded room and spend time talking to the only one who you will find to be sane - yourself. The real world is a scary place. If a coworker says something to you that you don't like, what do you do, go to your boss and demand said coworker's termination? Grow thicker skins, for Christ's sake. We're going to argue. We're going to bicker. We're going to disagree. That's LIFE.

Thanks for the patronizing lecture Dad  Roll Eyes

I would've thought posts of a libelous nature directed at the true name of a member were well outside forum rules. I simply asked for the post to be removed--not that anyone be banned. One post was removed which is appreciated but the other is still there.

I hate to post OT stuff in the thread but since your rant seems to be in part directed at me and the offending post is there 12 hours after I requested it be removed I have little choice.

Is this real or am I dreaming? No offense chris, but, to me, this might be the most ridiculous turn this thread has taken thus far.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:04:00 AM by Sgt. SMiLE » Logged

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3264 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:11 AM »

Finally in terms of the Hoffman forum. That could have been a great place, [...]
Here are some people who post on the Hoffman board; do they sound familiar?
Andrew G. Doe
Jon Hunt
Peter Reum
Lou Shenk
Steve Espinola
Chris Moise
Ken Worthing
David Prokopy
Paul Carr
Andrew Sandoval

Hey, Andreas, nice to see you're still around. That collection of CDs you sent me a decade ago is still one of the top three gifts I ever received in my life. How are you doing?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: August 08, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »

Just don't try to give us a bunch of brouhaha about people offending you and you want them gone forever. I'd say if you can't take text on a screen, I'd highly suggest you lock yourselves in a padded room and spend time talking to the only one who you will find to be sane - yourself. The real world is a scary place. If a coworker says something to you that you don't like, what do you do, go to your boss and demand said coworker's termination? Grow thicker skins, for Christ's sake. We're going to argue. We're going to bicker. We're going to disagree. That's LIFE.

I would've thought posts of a libelous nature directed at the true name of a member were well outside forum rules. I simply asked for the post to be removed--not that anyone be banned. One post was removed which is appreciated but the other is still there.

I hate to post OT stuff in the thread but since your rant seems to be in part directed at me and the offending post is there 12 hours after I requested it be removed I have little choice.

Is this real or am I dreaming? No offense chris, but, to me, this might be the most ridiculous turn this thread has taken thus far.
Any chance we could get back to talking about The Beach Boys?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:55:20 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"The ocean scares me."
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: August 08, 2011, 01:57:58 AM »

Alright, hmm, let me pick a topic out of the hat,

worst smile song. What's your pick. go.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: August 08, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »

Really?  The box set is/will be way more important than this thread will ever be. angel Razz

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: August 08, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »

Love all of them.. Least favourite would probably be With Me Tonight.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: August 08, 2011, 02:06:50 AM »

Nice to see that, after having been away for a week myself, nothing has actually changed.

Or is it?  Cry

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:16 AM »

But of course my real  point was that you mods are inexplicably tolerant of things that would never fly on many other boards.  Some of you even participate in the name calling and general board hostility, as if you have no idea what the term "moderator" means.  And when you think things have gone too far, you generally issue a patronizing edit along the lines of "Children, take it to PMs.  You're all being very naughty."  Rather than insulting people and riling people up, why not try to tone things down?

What I tried to say was, that in this topic the negativity has been building up slowly but steadily, with a few sudden outbursts of personal replies and attacks in between. And looking back on it, I personally think I should have made a clear statement on the behaviour of some of the posters here much. But I didn't, and I regret that. I'm not saying I'm doing a perfect job here... just doing my best, and I make mistakes like everyone else does.

Topics like these make moderating necessary, but not easy. And we moderators aren't the same either, we have different points of few on moderating as well. And we never make the right choice, as - like TheRealBeachBoy already mentioned - we either judge too harsh (by banning) or too tolerant. Hence my reply earlier today in which I asked to please change the tone of everyone's replies, because from now on - to me - we've had enough of the negative and sometimes hostile posts.

So all present here please try to behave now (and I don't say that in a patronising way). I'm not threatening with bans here. I'm just making an appeal to everyone to do the most sensible thing, which is to "treat the others here, like you want to be treated".

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: August 08, 2011, 02:27:37 AM »

According to Wikipedia The SMiLE Sessions are due for release tomorrow!
 Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies Drinking Buddies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(The_Beach_Boys_album)

"The ocean scares me."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: August 08, 2011, 02:30:18 AM »

Alright, hmm, let me pick a topic out of the hat,

I'll bite. For me my least favourite is probably vegatables. I just find it musically the least interesting, perhaps conceptually too. I do like the alternate version they developed for Smiley where he seems to add a 7th chord (? maybe, I'm no muso) variation into the melody, but it sadly never made the final cut. Vegetables is probably the only instance where I prefer the Smiley version to the original.

I'll be interested to see what is done with vegatables though. The way vegetables fade is cross faded on the GV box edit  never felt true to the original plan to me, so I hope that they will have another stab at the edit. Could it be reconfigured as per the BWPS version, or would that require them to fly in bits from the Smiley sessions? Is that a capella ending a smiley or smile recording?

I think, along with H&V this may prove to be one of the more contentious tracks.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: August 08, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »

Nice to see that, after having been away for a week myself, nothing has actually changed.

Or is it?  Cry

Likewise! Usually I go away on holiday and there's news of releases. tours etc while I'm off. This time, just more gripes. 

Which only increases the odds of there being something worthwhile soon, right? Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: August 08, 2011, 02:38:18 AM »

Or is it?  Cry

Likewise! Usually I go away on holiday and there's news of releases. tours etc while I'm off. This time, just more gripes.  

Which only increases the odds of there being something worthwhile soon, right? Sad
Sounds like you came home too soon. Back on holiday for you. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:40:14 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,