gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 02:20:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1747125 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »

This argument alway sways Brian-centric. I'm not trying to defend Mike or The Beach Boys. I'd like the truth through an objective observer. And you didn't bother to quote that part of my post. You have to admit that those three people mentioned were closest to Brian, especially during that period.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »

Re. Brian's 1968 quote: that is a transcript of a radio show, the "...."s may or may not represent stumbling or pauses or might represent breaks for song clips and VO. Anyone have a sample of Brian's portion of that show?
Ummm, I suppose that's possible, but why would a radio show break in the middle of a sentence to do a VO or song clip, and then resume the sentence for a few words, and then break into another VO or song clip.  Read the quote again and imagine all of those '...' replaced with a VO or song clip.  Now, I don't know for certain, but it doesn't seem to make sense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 17, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »

This argument alway sways Brian-centric. I'm not trying to defend Mike or The Beach Boys.

I have to say, though, that I think that there is a pretty good reason why the argument "sways Brian-centric". Really, for the most part, all parties involved have been quite consistent in their views, and I'm not surprsied, given those views, that people's opinions should fall in favour of one party over another.

I'd like the truth through an objective observer. And you didn't bother to quote that part of my post.

I didn't bother because I didn't have much to say about it. But I agree that there is no objective observer from that time period, only because there is never a possibility of an objective observer in any situation.

You have to admit that those three people mentioned were closest to Brian, especially during that period.

Yes, they were close to him but that doesn't mean, as I'm sure you'd agree, that they couldn't voice their own opinions on what was happening or what they were seeing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »

I come to this site every day in the hope that there will be some new news on the SMiLE release. Needless to say i'm disappointed nearly every day. Ugh, can't they release a small shred of information?

Sad in the last month i've seen more official news on liam gallagher than I have The Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1604 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »

I come to this site every day in the hope that there will be some new news on the SMiLE release. Needless to say i'm disappointed nearly every day. Ugh, can't they release a small shred of information?

Sad in the last month i've seen more official news on liam gallagher than I have The Beach Boys.

A small shred ? But of course.

"...ill be ...leas... on ...th"

There. Don't say I never tell you anything.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »

I'm amazed at how so hush-hush The Smile Sessions has become. Somebody, go and sneak Al Jardine in so he can spill the beans on the tracklisting.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 17, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 17, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »

Awesome! Breaking News!! The Smile Sessions absolutely WON'T be released on August 2nd! Thank you!!!  LOL

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »

Of course, I'm waiting for these!   Razz

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »

Of course, I'm waiting for these!   Razz

LOVE IT!!  Grin

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 17, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »

Re. Brian's 1968 quote: that is a transcript of a radio show, the "...."s may or may not represent stumbling or pauses or might represent breaks for song clips and VO. Anyone have a sample of Brian's portion of that show?
Ummm, I suppose that's possible, but why would a radio show break in the middle of a sentence to do a VO or song clip, and then resume the sentence for a few words, and then break into another VO or song clip.  Read the quote again and imagine all of those '...' replaced with a VO or song clip.  Now, I don't know for certain, but it doesn't seem to make sense.
Well I'm not sure either, a guy called "phlip" or something like that posted the transcript on the Wheeler board one time with the indications of where there were songs and vo as I remember. Maybe someone can turn that or produce the actual clip.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:17:46 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 17, 2011, 12:15:28 PM »

The Boys did everything in their power to make SMiLE happen for Brian even with whatever "problems" they may have had with it or how mistreated they felt by Brian.

Ah, Cam and his "the Beach Boys did everything to make SMiLE happen"-ness.  So Mike's confronting of Van Dyke about the lyrics and making him feel so uncomfortable that the he left the project is doing everything they can to make SMiLE happen?  What about Anderle and Marilyn saying that the Boys were being the very opposite of helpful?  And Brian and Van Dyke have said the same thing.  I guess none of that matters.

Love and merci,  Dan Lega

No more than Anderle's and Parks' "resistance" or feelings of mistreatment; it didn't matter either and they too were trying very hard to make SMiLE happen for Brian.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 17, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »

I'm a big fan of these earcandy picture gags, they're amazing. I hope you keep doing them until the release.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 17, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »

There were a couple of separate situations where Brian and the Beach Boys came into conflict. The first was his idea about movements. My sources tell me that got ixnayed in December 1966. No, I cannot divulge who they are. But when Brian speaks in that long quote that Cam cites, I think that Brian is referring to the period after Smiley Smile and before Friends when Brian did some work on Smile tunes before he withdrew after Ol' Man River into full blown mental health problems. I specifically think that some of the work on Smile that was done by Brian after Smiley Smile (which is not in sessions information, but that he told me he did, is what he is referring to when he said he wouldn't let that material be put on a Beach Boy album. Could be Friends, but I tend to think it was Wild Honey. If I remember some conversations with Steve Desper correctly (it's been years) he said that he and Brian had pulled out Smile tapes and worked on them after Smiley Smile came out. In this context, Brian's quote that Cam cites would make perfect sense.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 17, 2011, 05:43:13 PM »

There were a couple of separate situations where Brian and the Beach Boys came into conflict. The first was his idea about movements. My sources tell me that got ixnayed in December 1966. No, I cannot divulge who they are. But when Brian speaks in that long quote that Cam cites, I think that Brian is referring to the period after Smiley Smile and before Friends when Brian did some work on Smile tunes before he withdrew after Ol' Man River into full blown mental health problems. I specifically think that some of the work on Smile that was done by Brian after Smiley Smile (which is not in sessions information, but that he told me he did, is what he is referring to when he said he wouldn't let that material be put on a Beach Boy album. Could be Friends, but I tend to think it was Wild Honey. If I remember some conversations with Steve Desper correctly (it's been years) he said that he and Brian had pulled out Smile tapes and worked on them after Smiley Smile came out. In this context, Brian's quote that Cam cites would make perfect sense.

Unless I'm several light years out of the loop (entirely possible, modern people) this could put the state of play of mixes, edits etc. into a wholly different perspective.  If only some sort of official release were about to put an end to such speculation.  Sigh.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »

Just wait until the _____ of the ___ in the year of our Lord 2___, you impatient lout  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 17, 2011, 10:50:26 PM »

There were a couple of separate situations where Brian and the Beach Boys came into conflict. The first was his idea about movements. My sources tell me that got ixnayed in December 1966. No, I cannot divulge who they are.

Re movements: If it just took a vote to remove Brian's authority as producer and change the course of an album why would Brian then later be able to scrap the whole project over the objections of the Beach Boys--to the point of nearly breaking up the group for good (as Brian said in 1967/68?  Why didn't the band just vote Brian down then like they allegedly did in December '66? I think the answer is because this December 1966 meeting/vote thing never happened. There is simply no evidence this happen. I say this with respect but "no, I cannot divulge who they are" sounds awful convenient. The fact that in 45 years there hasn't been a single mention of this voting members of the band voting Brian down speaks volumes.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 18, 2011, 12:03:47 AM »

There were a couple of separate situations where Brian and the Beach Boys came into conflict. The first was his idea about movements. My sources tell me that got ixnayed in December 1966. No, I cannot divulge who they are.

Re movements: If it just took a vote to remove Brian's authority as producer and change the course of an album why would Brian then later be able to scrap the whole project over the objections of the Beach Boys--to the point of nearly breaking up the group for good (as Brian said in 1967/68?  Why didn't the band just vote Brian down then like they allegedly did in December '66? I think the answer is because this December 1966 meeting/vote thing never happened. There is simply no evidence this happen. I say this with respect but "no, I cannot divulge who they are" sounds awful convenient. The fact that in 45 years there hasn't been a single mention of this voting members of the band voting Brian down speaks volumes.

Who says it was a vote? Could've just been negative feedback and Brian caved in, not unlike how "Hang On To Your Ego" became "I Know There's An Answer."
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 18, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »

Who says it was a vote?

Peter Reum.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 18, 2011, 01:40:32 AM »

Who says it was a vote?

Peter Reum.

I didn't see the word "vote" in his message.

(Unless I'm, y'know, totally missing something, which is definitely possible, but for the movements to be "ixnayed" is not the same thing as a legal vote.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1620 on: June 18, 2011, 01:42:59 AM »

Who says it was a vote?

Peter Reum.

I didn't see the word "vote" in his message.

(Unless I'm, y'know, totally missing something, which is definitely possible, but for the movements to be "ixnayed" is not the same thing as a legal vote.)

Peter said that a couple of years ago, same time he told him about the movements when they were speaking in 1981/2.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 18, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »

Heh, well, won't get a better confirmation than that. LOL Mea culpa.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 18, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »

I have to ask  Grin

When do you all think were going to get the release date

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 18, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »

I'm amazed at how so hush-hush The Smile Sessions has become. Somebody, go and sneak Al Jardine in so he can spill the beans on the tracklisting.

After all of the waiting  for the original Smile, as well as the speculating, I'll be bitterly disappointed if its similar tracks to what on the SOT bootlegs. I hope there is some different/new stuff from the vaults that nobody has heard before.
Here's hoping.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:15:06 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Jason
« Reply #1624 on: June 18, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »

After all of the waiting  for the original Smile, as well as the speculating, I'll be bitterly disappointed if its similar tracks to what on the SOT bootlegs. I hope there is some different/new stuff from the vaults that nobody has heard before.
Here's hoping.

Uh, I think you'd have to bet your life that about a good 65% of the stuff will come from stuff heard on the SOTs and maybe about 10-15% from other Smile-related boots.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx