gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:18:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728707 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 12, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »

Anyone trust this?

Gives a June 6 release date and an EMI catalogue number.

http://cdon.eu/music/beach_boys/the_smile_sessions_-_box_set-14166753

I have bought from this outfit before though not entirely satisfactorily – order took a loooong time to be despatched (in fact so long I assumed they'd cancelled the order and I bought a duplicate elsewhere which arrived within a couple of days) and proved surprisingly expensive despite free shipping.

I'm not sure if I can trust it, but if it's true I will buy you a stiff drink for bringing it to my attention. 6th of June? Holy merda!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Curiously, if you google EMI-50999 -276582  smile sessions, the top hit is EMI Music Norway and underneath it reads:

THE BEACH BOYS, The Smile Sessions (Limited), 50999 0276582 2 ... EMI Music Norway AS respekterer hensynet til personvernet. Les mer om personvern her. ...

but click the page and the June releases section is empty.

Edit: My mistake, under Monday 30th May  it reads Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions (Limited) - 50999 0276582 2

And a similar page here: http://emi.no/nyhetsskriv_faro/releaseplan.asp

This has the same info under the date: 3rd June!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:47:29 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 12, 2011, 05:53:20 AM »

Aren't release dates typically on a Tuesday? Neither June 3rd nor June 6th fall on the Tuesday.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 12, 2011, 05:59:03 AM »

Aren't release dates typically on a Tuesday? Neither June 3rd nor June 6th fall on the Tuesday.

I think it depends on what part of the world you're in -  here in the UK releases are usually on Mondays, I believe.

This site – http://emi.no/utgivelser/kommende_utgivelser.aspx -  gives May 30 which is a Monday.

I'm doubting that the release is so close to readiness … but will happily accept the news if confirmed!

“We live in divisive times.”
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #803 on: April 12, 2011, 06:02:41 AM »

Simple explanations are always better to some people & this is understandable. They make you feel better because they're easy. There's no work involved.

The lyrics are poetry, that's all. The album an American Gothic adventure. The SMiLE Shop cover art is just a fun childlike drawing.

Here's proof of the latter from the artist himself!
"The SMiLE Shop is a paradox. The drawing is a surrealistic idea; a visual that is not accessible in conscious reality."

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 12, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »

I don't really buy into the whole "just take things at face value/don't overthink it" type mentality. The ultimate goal of interpretation should be to know the author better than he knows himself. Everything must be considered. You have to look at the whole scene, you have to look at the slang.

It's long been suggested that language and thought are intimately bound. The fact that Brian spouted out stuff like "dig", "groovy", "far out", "our of sight", " hang up", "put on", "trip" needs to be properly accounted for. Brian used these words, and he used them in the "hip" way, in order to express psychedelic ideas. The fact that his vocabulary was in no-small part structured around psychedelic concepts and terminology would mean that when he conceptualized and constructed SMiLE, he did so using these psychedelic building blocks.

Right there in the goodbye surfing article, Brian says about Surf's Up stuff like "he's off on his trip...". For Brian Wilson 1966, "The Trip" had a whole philosophical underpinning to it, it's a sophisticated concept with a range of abstract meanings. He wasn't using it to just mean a drug high. When Brian was using all these words, he was picking up on psychedelic philosophy and bringing that into his way of thinking.

If you think this is all bs, it's not just me. These are just the ideas of some of the first people to deal with things like translation theory and linguistics. If you want to understand someone's ideas, you have to understand precisely how they used language. You have to do it from the perspective of their times. Brian was working in psychedelic lingo, and I think, conceptually, psychedelic ideas are at the core of what SMiLE was about.
That's it I am done ..You are off your head!!

I'm not really sure what your issue ever is 18thofmay.

If the authors of a text (i.e. SMiLE) situate the text on psychedelic grounds, I think the proper interpretation will take that into account.

Cabinessence is an "American Gothic Trip". Brian and Van Dyke conceived and explained their work psychedelicly. There were on about trips and digging and "hip". Listen to How To Speak Hip, Brian was really into talking like that, and because thought and language are so closely connected, if you want to understand Brian's thought you have to understand his language, and his language is psychedelic.

It's not that complicated.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
anders wyller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 12, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »

Anyone trust this?

I have bought from this outfit before though not entirely satisfactorily – order took a loooong time to be despatched (in fact so long I assumed they'd cancelled the order and I bought a duplicate elsewhere which arrived within a couple of days) and proved surprisingly expensive despite free shipping.

I'm not sure if I can trust it, but if it's true I will buy you a stiff drink for bringing it to my attention. 6th of June? Holy merda!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Curiously, if you google EMI-50999 -276582  smile sessions, the top hit is EMI Music Norway and underneath it reads:

THE BEACH BOYS, The Smile Sessions (Limited), 50999 0276582 2 ... EMI Music Norway AS respekterer hensynet til personvernet. Les mer om personvern her. ...

Edit: My mistake, under Monday 30th May  it reads Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions (Limited) - 50999 0276582 2

Funny that EMI here in Norway, total population 4,5 mill, is the first to reveal the release date - because that is ofcourse what this is; the confirmation we've all been waiting for. Somebody in EMI's norwegian market dep. obviously didnt fully understand  the english message; NOT TO BE REVEALED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! Cheesy
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 12, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »

Simple explanations are always better to some people & this is understandable. They make you feel better because they're easy. There's no work involved.

The lyrics are poetry, that's all. The album an American Gothic adventure. The SMiLE Shop cover art is just a fun childlike drawing.

Here's proof of the latter from the artist himself!
"The SMiLE Shop is a paradox. The drawing is a surrealistic idea; a visual that is not accessible in conscious reality."

Hi Bill,

I enjoy your interpretation because it reinforces all the magic and mythology surrounding Smile - the idea that Brian and VDP had this koan idea all mapped out from the start is awe inspiring and a bit like a Thomas Pynchon novel, with you as the main protagonist! But I find it hard to swallow.

Firstly, if they had such magnificent control and foresight from the get go about this zen koan idea, even down to Brian directing the photoshoot to place clues in the visuals, I'd have thought they'd manage to see it through to completion. I think the reality is, nothing about Smile was concrete: The concepts were very loose. The song structures themselves were fluid to the extreme. If anything, the architects suffered from a lack of structure in their planning, and the project became a mercurial beast, impossible to pin down. A problem, ironically, that still causes frustration to this day. If you want to enjoy the Smile sessions, my advice is: Appreciate the fluidity and untidiness of them. There is no one unifying concept that underpins the music.

Also, VDP doesn't strike me as the kind of artist who would want to be straightjacketed by one over arching concept anyway.

I have to be honest Bill, I enjoy the magic and mythology of your theory, but I think you suffer from tunnel vision when looking for evidence to support it, only selecting the facts that fit the hypothesis. It's a bit like the trick where someone tells you that the no. 28 is everywhere. Once the no. 28 is in your head, all you start seeing is that one number. But it's just a case of selective perception.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 12, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »

Anyone trust this?

Funny that EMI here in Norway, total population 4,5 mill, is the first to reveal the release date - because that is ofcourse what this is; the confirmation we've all been waiting for. Somebody in EMI's norwegian market dep. obviously didnt fully understand  the english message; NOT TO BE REVEALED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! Cheesy

LOL I hope this is true!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 12, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »

http://www.cdendvd.com/content/detailsArticle.php?productNumber=5099902765822&artist=BEACH%20BOYS,%20THE&title=THE%20SMILE%20SESSIONS

Gives a price - 147.99 Euros.

which is currently $214.42 or £139.59.

and July 11 release date.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:29:17 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 12, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »

SMiLE was fully conceived by Brian and Van Dyke. The project was fully written, or very nearly fully written. All of the songs on the tracklisting had lyrics written (Save for maybe Child, has it been confirmed vintage lyrics were written?)
The problem was with Brian. Brian couldn't achieve the sound he wanted, production wise.

SMiLE was too complicated? Brian and Van Dyke never really knew what it was about? Sorry, I don't buy it. SMiLE was musically, thematically, lyrically completed. The songs were done.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »

Have given the release date and price posts their own thread, for those more interested in buying and listening to the thing than talking round in circles.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10169.0.html

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »

Sure, I'll buy that. But that's the way I've always felt about SMiLE, since I first heard some of it in the late 70's. My friends and I never tied "psychedelia" to it. We never tied Zen to it or any other anomaly. If it was drug influenced, that's OK. But subsequently, it obviously wasn't OK with Brian and the other guys.

The lyrics are poetry, that's all. The album an American Gothic adventure. The SMiLE Shop cover art is just a fun childlike drawing. The SMiLE shop is a paradox. The drawing is a surrealistic idea; a visual that is not accessible in conscious reality."

Yeah!  There you go. That's the ticket!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: April 12, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »

Ignore those release dates. Misleading would be the least to say about them.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: April 12, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »

Actually, I find that condescending verging on insulting: "there there, that's all right (pat on head), you carry on thinking that if it eases your poor little head: meantime those of us with bigger brains will talk about topics and notions that you couldn't understand anyway".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »

SMiLE was musically, thematically, lyrically completed. The songs were done.

Proof, please.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 12, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »

Obviously my above dig at Salt Lake City was meant jokingly...aside from the song, which is on my short list of overrated BB songs! LOL

I wasn't aware it was rated in the first place.  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »

Actually, I find that condescending verging on insulting: "there there, that's all right (pat on head), you carry on thinking that if it eases your poor little head: meantime those of us with bigger brains will talk about topics and notions that you couldn't understand anyway".

Exactly how it sounded to me as well.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

Nah, Bill didn't mean to slight us, did you Bill? Just because we don't see it your way, doesn't mean that our intelligence should be questioned, right? After all, it's human nature to sort out fact and fiction and try to simplify things in our heads, right?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:03:26 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 12, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »

Exactly how it sounded to me as well.

Exactly. What was that little conversation with two certain people back in early '67 again?

Mike: "over and over, the crow flies uncover the cornfield". What does that mean?

Van Dyke: I don't know!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »

Of course we're talking semantics here, but I can't see how SMiLE can possibly be denied the label "psychedelic" - it is the ultimate "psychedelic" album as far as I'm concerned. Now it's true that "psychedelic pop/rock" was generally thought to have started around '65 when musicians were "inspired" by various substances, but since drugs are not essential to creating good psychedelic music, let's leave those out for a moment. Here's a wikipedia-description of "psychedelic-rock":

As a musical style psychedelic rock often contains some of the following features:

* electric guitars, often used with feedback, wah wah and fuzzboxes
    * elaborate studio effects, such as backwards tapes, panning, phasing, long delay loops, and extreme reverb
    * exotic instrumentation, with a particular fondness for the sitar and tabla
    * a strong keyboard presence, especially organs, harpsichords, or the Mellotron (an early tape-driven 'sampler')
    * a strong emphasis on extended instrumental solos or jams
    * complex song structures, key and time signature changes, modal melodies and drones
    * primitive electronic instruments such as synthesizers and the theremin
    * surreal, whimsical, esoterically or literary-inspired, lyrics

Now, apart from the "extended jams" part, I would say that every last bit of SMiLE could be described with one of these attributes.

As an amusing aside, when I typed "psychedelic pop" into the Wikipedia search engine, the very first result was a listing for David Marks' THE MOON band!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 12, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

Spinal Tap had a psychadelic phase. Not that this has anything to do with anything. Just sayin'.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »

I just Googled "Best psychedelic albums 1960's" and Smile didn't come up. Of course it's unreleased and of course it's The Beach Boys, whom I've never seen written anywhere made psychedelic music, though Smile and Smiley Smile may be the closest reference, I guess.      I guess........

But from the outset, did Brian and Van Dyke ever set out from the start to make a psychedelic album? Was Brian THAT advanced at that point to understand the psychedelic nature of music, in line with The Greatful Dead and Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow? I don't think............I dunno.........

I know he was quoted later as saying that "Smile wasn't Beach Boys music".  

Yep, 'Psychedelic Smile'. Good bootleg!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:11:58 AM by Mikie » Logged

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 12, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »

Aren't there a bunch of quotes from Brian at the time talking about "Psychedelic music"?  (I'm paraphrasing as I don't have the exact quotes handy) "Psychedelic music will grow, expand, cover the music world..."    It was HIS version of it though, not in line with the SF bands, and all that jamming endlessly stuff, but HIS own unique take on what psychedelic music was/is.   To him, it seems to me (based on things he said at the time), psychedelic music was spiritual/religious. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 12, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

I think Brian dug the sounds of The Beatles, Specter, The Byrds, and went on to try and make a record that emulated and expanded on those sounds...Psychedelia was just a byproduct of his work....and quite possibly just a word slapped on at a later date to bundle these works together in a genre (no matter how different they were from each other).

A question for the older/wiser members here: Around the time of SMiLE, was the word 'Psychedelia' thrown around a lot in relation to music? Had the term yet been coined during SMiLE? or did it come after Sgt Pepper and 13th floor elevators etc?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:13:26 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »

If we're only talking about Northern California "jam" bands like Jefferson Airplane and The Grateful Dead, then you're right that the similarities to Brian's music are practically non-existent. However, there were a lot of other bands releasing what has been called psychedelic, or psychedelic-flavored music in '66 and '67: the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, the Kinks, the Byrds, Donovan, Simon & Garfunkel, the Small Faces, (the) Pink Floyd and countless one-hit wonders like the Electric Prunes. All of these musicians released material in the course of a couple of years that contain similar elements to what Brian had concocted for SMiLE; several of them were inspired by PET SOUNDS and "Good Vibrations" to arrange and produce their songs the way they did. Of course, Brian was going to do it his way which is what makes him an original, but you can find psychedelic ideas as early as "She Knows Me Too Well" in the ethereal backing vocals and the eastern-tinged guitar lines. By SMiLE, he fully embraced psychedelia...and has even kept some of those ideas in his arsenal ever since.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx