gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682048 Posts in 27674 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 28, 2024, 12:12:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1874633 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »

even after a few days of knowing without a doubt SMiLE's finally coming out this year.. it's still somewhat unreal. anyway:  Happy Dance

i'm already pondering what incarnation of 2011 SMiLE to buy. i've sworn off CDs and totally focused on vinyl in the past few years. thing is: it seems 2011 SMiLE will only be available on vinyl in that 'mega box', right? no 'simple' 2-LP set à la POB?

oh by the way: this is my debut post. glad to be here amongst other crazies.  Hello

We have to wait and see what is offered....but if the vinyl really is only available as part of an expensive mega box I shall quite possibly not be purchasing any of it. But we wait and see.

Oh, for cryin' out loud.  The thing isn't even done, no prices have been announced, and we're already hearing complaints that it's too expensive and folks don't want to pay for vinyl or ONLY want to pay for vinyl.   Come on people, this is ridiculous.  As others have suggested, just buy the damned thing and sell whatever parts you don't want on eBay.  How hard is that?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »

I'm really worried the box will be like 300 bucks..

Not sure I can afford that. I may have to drop out of college  Undecided Cry Grin

The SMiLe box set as an alternate form of education. Yes, that has possibilities

Can't you sell body parts, or relatives? Get creative, student!

“We live in divisive times.”
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »

I log onto this page every couple of hours or so to find another 10 or so replys. This is what being a Beach Boys fan is all about I can't believe this Box set is coming out!!! Right calm down now lol !!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »

I'm really worried the box will be like 300 bucks..

Not sure I can afford that. I may have to drop out of college  Undecided Cry Grin

The SMiLe box set as an alternate form of education. Yes, that has possibilities

Can't you sell body parts, or relatives? Get creative, student!

Selling blood might be a good idea, hmm

I'm totally preparing for that... SMiLE (and its history) teaches a young man everything there is to know.  :-

The box shall be mine $

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

I log onto this page every couple of hours or so to find another 10 or so replys. This is what being a Beach Boys fan is all about I can't believe this Box set is coming out!!! Right calm down now lol !!

You should have been here 2/20/2004. I wasn't, as I was otherwise occupied at a concert, but I understand it was bedlam.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

You should have been here 2/20/2004. I wasn't, as I was otherwise occupied at a concert, but I understand it was bedlam.

Aye that it was. That it was <draws a long deep puff on his pipe>
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »

Speaking of which: A session date timeline was published as "The Smile File" in 1993. If the 2011 box set includes such a detailed timeline as well, what legal standing would the author/publisher of "The Smile File" have in this situation, given that the information is available if one knows where to look?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »

Speaking of which: A session date timeline was published as "The Smile File" in 1993. If the 2011 box set includes such a detailed timeline as well, what legal standing would the author/publisher of "The Smile File" have in this situation, given that the information is available if one knows where to look?

I checked the online Smile File;
 Seeing as how the Special Thanks don't include any mention Of Coach, I'd have to say Dwight, at least morally, has no legal standing at all.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »

Thanks Andrew I've just read your liner notes on the KTSA, 85 twofes cd really cool made me listen to it again thanks ADG. Yes I'm really happy to be a part of this with beach boys fans and insiders like yourself. My intuition (and that all it was!!) About us all hearing news by the end of April come true!! Right I'm off to do the lottery now I'm on a roll guys and STILL can't stop SMILING Smiley)))
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »

Well, as you say, much of the info's already out there, anyone can research it from scratch and probably come up with the same information. It's nothing more than established fact.

If The SMiLE FiLE was copied word-for-word, either in its entirety or in substantial part, then I'd say an author – assuming he hadn't made some agreement beforehand – might have have good reason to test the legality in a court of law.

If the info was dipped into as research, and not presented in the same style, and augmented with new research or info from other sources, then the author might reasonably expect a credit but probably not payment, unless his/her work could be shown to have been plagiarised – though that can be a toughie to prove.

I would hope that this new box set will present a definitive resource, possibly with new information, and all original research.

I can't claim to be giving qualified legal advise, just my interpretation as a journo.

Dare one enquire as to why you ask?

If I was offered a lot of money – say, $5000 – to research and write an original, authoritative, definitive timeline of SMiLE sessions for the box set, I'd subcontract the job to a bloke named Doe, and offer him a generous $1500 for his trouble. I'd spend the change on one of the box sets,

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »

i can't imagine the boxsets exceeding 300.  regardless, i'll buy one. 
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »

In regards to what version of Surf's Up they're going to put in, I came across this article a couple days ago in which Billboard.com interviews Mark Linett.

http://www.billboard.com/#/features/beach-boys-engineer-talks-about-the-smile-1005071622.story

...we can put Brian's vocal back into "Surf's Up," which was a group track in the 1970s [on the "Surf's Up" album]. Brian recorded a basic track with a full band for part one. And he also recorded a sort of a demo version, its just him double-tracked and a piano track. What the band did was they used the part one backing track and tried to fly Brian's vocal into that, but the technology at the time really made that impossible. So what happened was that Carl sang the [lead] vocal and overdubs were added [forthe Surf's Up album version]. And for the second half, they used Brian's piano vocal piece and added very few additions.

With the technology we have today, its much much easier to take Brian's vocal for part one and put it onto the backing track. I have done it and its quite nice. Now we have the ability to shift time things very easily so those synchronizations can be accomplished.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

Well, as you say, much of the info's already out there, anyone can research it from scratch and probably come up with the same information. It's nothing more than established fact.

If The SMiLE FiLE was copied word-for-word, either in its entirety or in substantial part, then I'd say an author – assuming he hadn't made some agreement beforehand – might have have good reason to test the legality in a court of law.

If the info was dipped into as research, and not presented in the same style, and augmented with new research or info from other sources, then the author might reasonably expect a credit but probably not payment, unless his/her work could be shown to have been plagiarised – though that can be a toughie to prove.

I would hope that this new box set will present a definitive resource, possibly with new information, and all original research.

I can't claim to be giving qualified legal advise, just my interpretation as a journo.

Dare one enquire as to why you ask?

If I was offered a lot of money – say, $5000 – to research and write an original, authoritative, definitive timeline of SMiLE sessions for the box set, I'd subcontract the job to a bloke named Doe, and offer him a generous $1500 for his trouble. I'd spend the change on one of the box sets,

Hmmm... $1500 for researching something I already know maybe 85% of. Sounds like a done deal to me.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »

Pounds, dollars, euros, rand or cowrie shells ?

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

Pounds, dollars, euros, rand or cowrie shells ?

my bad, i meant filipino pesos. so like 6 bucks american?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Dom's new essay (as described in the original release) but I don't think it occupies the whole 60 pages, unless it's very big print. I'm thinking credits/session info/AFM repros and lotsa photos.

Ah, I guess I didn't read that very carefully. That sounds like a plan to me.

Hopefully some of our other founding nerds will also get their due somehow. Peter, Andrew, Rev Bob, Derek, , Mike, Marty, Don, Lee, Brad, Jeff, Eva, David, etc..

I'm sure there'll be a mention of Coach Hanes. Brad... I very much doubt.  Not entirely sure who ", ," is but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

", , " is he who shall not be named.

In other words, "Dwight". There, I named it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »

How cool - this just popped up in my alerts.

A Brief History of Smile cancellations
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:26:05 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »

Seeing as how the Special Thanks don't include any mention Of Coach, I'd have to say Dwight, at least morally, has no legal standing at all.

Who is Coach? Nevermind I just worked it out.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:39:34 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »

Who is Coach?

Coach Bob Hanes, who sadly left us last year.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2011, 02:36:13 PM »

Nice!

Doesn't mention the aborted version that never even got off the ground after the Pet Sounds box, nor the even less tenable suggestion that Bruce mentioned maybe once – I think it was in the early 80s, and reported in a UK music paper – when he said he'd like to get it all together as a box set to benefit UNICEF or some such.  I'd look it up but I sent my copy to Mark L a couple of years back without making a copy first.

Had to make space for a cot…

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »

Nice!

Doesn't mention the aborted version that never even got off the ground after the Pet Sounds box, nor the even less tenable suggestion that Bruce mentioned maybe once – I think it was in the early 80s, and reported in a UK music paper – when he said he'd like to get it all together as a box set to benefit UNICEF or some such.  I'd look it up but I sent my copy to Mark L a couple of years back without making a copy first.

Had to make space for a cot…

Nope, but my site does.  Grin

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »

Excellent article!!!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »

Doesn't mention the aborted version that never even got off the ground after the Pet Sounds box...

Yes, a superbly-written piece and quite accurate as these things go. I believe this was the reference to the box set announced for release in '97:

Thereafter, at least one likely push for a dedicated Smile boxed set seems to have been abandoned.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »

Doesn't mention the aborted version that never even got off the ground after the Pet Sounds box...

Yes, a superbly-written piece and quite accurate as these things go. I believe this was the reference to the box set announced for release in '97:

Thereafter, at least one likely push for a dedicated Smile boxed set seems to have been abandoned.

There was also a push for a three CD set called "The Smile Era" in 1995, a year BEFORE the Pet Sounds box was announced.  The 1995 project, which was mentioned in the Billboard piece on Friday, was written about in a lengthy article in Billboard around February 1995.  And, in fact, Billboard even later listed a release date: September 26, 1995.

I believe that this was the project for which Frank Holmes did additional drawings for several songs (e.g., Wonderful, Good Vibrations, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow and CIFOTM)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »

What a great article, and we don't thank Andrew enough for his site, it truly is god's gift. I could waste hours on that thing....actually I have  Cool Guy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx