gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:54:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 [374] 375 376 377 378 379 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1736477 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: December 07, 2011, 07:53:55 PM »

The session tapes say "Psycodelic Sounds." The reason it's "psycodelic" is because the letters in the middle spell "code."

Arthur Koestler explains that "the term 'Matrix' was introduced to refer to any skill or ability, to any pattern of activity governed by a set of rules---it's 'code'."

So that's why Brian spelled it that way.

man, you're funny. You kill me, man! 
Keep posting.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: December 07, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »

The session tapes say "Psycodelic Sounds." The reason it's "psycodelic" is because the letters in the middle spell "code."

Arthur Koestler explains that "the term 'Matrix' was introduced to refer to any skill or ability, to any pattern of activity governed by a set of rules---it's 'code'."

That will do me

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: December 07, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »

man, you're funny. You kill me, man! 
Keep posting.

The humour of SMiLE

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9328 on: December 07, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

One of the psycodelic sessions that did not make the box set has a participant saying something like, "we need another set of values" apparently for the next chant.

Once again folks, this is exactly what we're talking about when speaking about matrices & codes. Those are essentially a set of values.

The Act Of Creation in action (but without explanation!). Dig.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: December 07, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

One of the psycodelic sessions that did not make the box set has a participant saying something like, "we need another set of values" apparently for the next chant.

Once again folks, this is exactly what we're talking about when speaking about matrices & codes. Those are essentially a set of values.

The Act Of Creation in action (but without explanation!). Dig.

This is becoming tragic.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9330 on: December 07, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »

I don't understand. Is this guy serious? Because this seems like he's being purposefully ridiculous just to get a rise from all of us.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: December 07, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »

I am not so sure anymore.. It died off for a while.

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: December 07, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »

I don't understand. Is this guy serious? Because this seems like he's being purposefully ridiculous just to get a rise from all of us.

Nah, he's just smokin' some good poo.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9333 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »

all you have to do when he posts is just scroll past them and not read them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: December 07, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »

Has he always been like this, though?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9335 on: December 08, 2011, 01:35:08 AM »

the very slight degree of precognition I used to possess.

Wow what happened to it?  Shocked

Just faded away. I don't think the drink or drugs helped.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9336 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:01 AM »

Brian didn't spell it that way. That's not his writing, and it's spelled that way because whoever wrote the title on that tape box (and I won't embarrass them by saying who it was) couldn't spell psychedelic correctly, having never had to write it down before. Occam's Razor applies perfectly here. Bill, you're starting to make a fool of yourself again. Best stop.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9337 on: December 08, 2011, 02:32:35 AM »

But I still maintain that the Zen explanation is the best one available prior to Arthur Koestler & The Act Of Creation.

No, and that's the problem: you don't maintain it's the best explanation - you insist that it's the only one. That's bigotry in my lexicon: "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion." Worse, you're twisting fact to fit your premise (see the "psycodelic" misunderstanding).

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: December 08, 2011, 04:08:19 AM »

Nah, he's just smokin' some good poo.
I think his research has led him to Brian Wilson's secret weed stash from 1966.... Grin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:09:44 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: December 08, 2011, 04:34:53 AM »

Is it really that big a deal to have a very specific theoretical model applied (and re-applied...) to a really exciting work? I mean, I'm not a fan of psychoanalytic literary theory, but if an article appears in a journal using that model, I don't have to engage with it. But if I do, frustratingly, I usually learn something I hadn't considered before.  And it never hurts to be civil, or at least, to tone down the condescension.  BT's been around these boards long enough to deserve better.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9340 on: December 08, 2011, 05:01:05 AM »

BT's been around these boards long enough to deserve better.

By that logic, I should be utterly fucking revered. But I'm not. Life's odd that way sometimes.  Grin

Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: December 08, 2011, 05:07:16 AM »

Is it really that big a deal to have a very specific theoretical model applied (and re-applied...) to a really exciting work? I mean, I'm not a fan of psychoanalytic literary theory, but if an article appears in a journal using that model, I don't have to engage with it. But if I do, frustratingly, I usually learn something I hadn't considered before.  And it never hurts to be civil, or at least, to tone down the condescension.  BT's been around these boards long enough to deserve better.
I agree.  Like most true believers, he may take his arguments to ridiculous extremes at times (I still ain't hearing 'Fresh Zen air'!), but I think his interpretation is fascinating and valid in its way.  It is one way of approaching this extraordinary work of art, but not THE way.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:26 AM »

By that logic, I should be utterly f*cking revered. But I'm not. Life's odd that way sometimes.  Grin

Well, at least grudgingly respected!
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: December 08, 2011, 05:30:37 AM »

....plus, dude, have you checked your avatar lately??  Kool-Aid Man
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: December 08, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »

By that logic, I should be utterly f*cking revered. But I'm not. Life's odd that way sometimes.  Grin

Not to worry, I keep your voodoo doll on a pedestal

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9345 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »

Brian didn't spell it that way. That's not his writing, and it's spelled that way because whoever wrote the title on that tape box (and I won't embarrass them by saying who it was) couldn't spell psychedelic correctly, having never had to write it down before. Occam's Razor applies perfectly here. Bill, you're starting to make a fool of yourself again. Best stop.

Afraid AGD has to be right there Bill -  half the tape boxes are spelled incorrectly; s'probably why we have the Cabin Essence/Cabinessence, Vegtables/Vega-tables/Vegetables, Heros & Villians/Heroes & Villains variations too.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: December 08, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

Roll Eyes

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: December 08, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »

Afraid AGD has to be right there Bill -  half the tape boxes are spelled incorrectly; s'probably why we have the Cabin Essence/Cabinessence, Vegtables/Vega-tables/Vegetables, Heros & Villians/Heroes & Villains variations too.

Which follows right along to Capitol and the US BEst Of Vol. 3; some labels have it spelled Heros & Villians, whilst others spell it  Heroes & Villains.
Which is more correcterer?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »

According to legend, Heros & Villian were Greek heros. Both had fallen in love with a virgin who danced in the court of the gods, and came to violent blows during a torrential rainstorm, fighting for the dancer's hand in marriage.

Just as each was about to slay the other with their raised swords, she threw herself between them and died instantly, both swords piercing her heart.

She was said to to haunt that spot ever more, dancing in the moonlight.

Her name? Margueritos.

I made that up.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »

According to legend, Heros & Villian were Greek heros. Both had fallen in love with a virgin who danced in the court of the gods, and came to violent blows during a torrential rainstorm, fighting for the dancer's hand in marriage.

Just as each was about to slay the other with their raised swords, she threw herself between them and died instantly, both swords piercing her heart.

She was said to to haunt that spot ever more, dancing in the moonlight.

Her name? Margueritos.

I made that up.

What was really her name?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 [374] 375 376 377 378 379 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx