gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:33:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 314 315 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737439 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7725 on: October 25, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »

Friday the 28th of October 3pm, I will walk out of JB Hi-fi with the two cd set.

Friday the 28th of October 9:05am, I will walk out of Tower Records with the two cd set.

Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: October 25, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »

what is that piano at 48 heroes and villains part 2 (stereo)Huh  was that just one of the players playing something?
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »

I have to admit, after being blown away with listening to the track snippets, I was a bit disappointed with IIGS and Barnyard.  I had hoped that Mark might be able to mask the piano from the Humble Harv demo more than he has, I guess the technology just isn't there at the moment to be able to seperate the piano from the vocal more.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »

Right you are...tell me is it just my browser that goes schizo when I reach a certain number of lines? I cannot see a thing I type thus  the numerous errors. Even this addition has been typed blind and its damned annoying having top go in and correct stuff I cant even see.

If you upgrade to M.S. Explorer 9, that problem will go away.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7729 on: October 25, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »

While at first I was happy to see Phil unbanned and was interested what he had to say now, I was again put off from his negativity. Rebanning him would be ok with me.

BUT...

Remember: The names you call someone return to you.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »

While at first I was happy to see Phil unbanned and was interested what he had to say now, I was again put off from his negativity. Rebanning him would be ok with me.

BUT...

whatever you say, richest and sexiest man in the world.

No mas, por favor.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: October 25, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »

BUT...

whatever you say, richest and sexiest man in the world.

LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: October 25, 2011, 11:29:28 PM »

When will it leak!??? I need it to leak today so that I can listen to ONE of the discs at work. Then I'll wait til' I get the box.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: October 25, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

I have to admit, after being blown away with listening to the track snippets, I was a bit disappointed with IIGS and Barnyard.  I had hoped that Mark might be able to mask the piano from the Humble Harv demo more than he has, I guess the technology just isn't there at the moment to be able to seperate the piano from the vocal more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaX52GbjSU

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: October 25, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »

Friday the 28th of October 3pm, I will walk out of JB Hi-fi with the two cd set.

Friday the 28th of October 9:05am, I will walk out of Tower Records with the two cd set.

Grin

Fingers crossed, tomorrow at 6pm my dad will walk in the door with teh 5CD set  Grin

As a point, probably due to Capitol's lack of promotion, the shop do not know the price yet!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »

I've been listening to the HMV clips, and I just have to say, I AM SO DAMN EXCITED!!!!!  Grin Is this actually happening? It's not just a weird dream? I was just reading the 1990 Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer notes, and I kept thinking how weird it is that only 15-20 years ago, a Smile box was absolutely impossible to the extreme.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
theCOD
« Reply #7736 on: October 26, 2011, 12:04:38 AM »

The only thing really bugging me is the out of place CE vocals in the second chorus. You can hear them clearly in the sample on HMV. I didn't even notice until someone pointed them out, but now it's hard to ignore. I can't imagine how they could have been placed there on accident, yet can't imagine why anyone would do it intentionally.

Other than that, I'm thrilled about this release. I didn't expect any miracles from Barnyard or IIGS. I'm used to hearing them on fan mixes and these sound better than any I've heard.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7737 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »

Right you are...tell me is it just my browser that goes schizo when I reach a certain number of lines? I cannot see a thing I type thus  the numerous errors. Even this addition has been typed blind and its damned annoying having top go in and correct stuff I cant even see.

If you upgrade to M.S. Explorer 9, that problem will go away.

Been using Firefox for years, no problems.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: October 26, 2011, 12:22:11 AM »

The only thing really bugging me is the out of place CE vocals in the second chorus. You can hear them clearly in the sample on HMV. I didn't even notice until someone pointed them out, but now it's hard to ignore. I can't imagine how they could have been placed there on accident, yet can't imagine why anyone would do it intentionally.

Other than that, I'm thrilled about this release. I didn't expect any miracles from Barnyard or IIGS. I'm used to hearing them on fan mixes and these sound better than any I've heard.

Mr. Negativity.

More tempted to listen to the samples, should I? I don't know if I can wait.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: October 26, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »

Does anyone know if the weird slide guitar overdub on Do You Like Worms will be included?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #7740 on: October 26, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »

I'm telling you dude, ITS SO MUCH BETTER WITH FRESH EARS. I've been going bout 4 months now (except for the new "Vegetables" mix of course).
I'm not paying $140 for TSS just to have it be spoiled. (I did listen to "Teeter Totter Love" though).  Grin

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7741 on: October 26, 2011, 01:04:50 AM »

Does anyone know if the weird slide guitar overdub on Do You Like Worms will be included?

Yes, I do... but it would spoil the surprise.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7742 on: October 26, 2011, 01:07:06 AM »

Mr. Negativity.

The samples are like looking at a small corner of an IMAX movie.  Grin

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: October 26, 2011, 02:03:49 AM »

what is that piano at 48 heroes and villains part 2 (stereo)Huh  was that just one of the players playing something?

It's the piece that was being discussed a few weeks ago. To me it sounds reminiscent of BW's favourite bit from Rhapsody In Blue, and also sounds like a prototype to Western Theme, but could be an entirely separate section that never went anywhere. If you listen closely you can here the boys singing a vocal accompaniement. I'm so pleased this section is on the box - it's a beautiful snippet.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7744 on: October 26, 2011, 02:06:46 AM »

It's the piece that was being discussed a few weeks ago. To me it sounds reminiscent of BW's favourite bit from Rhapsody In Blue, and also sounds like a prototype to Western Theme, but could be an entirely separate section that never went anywhere. If you listen closely you can here the boys singing a vocal accompaniement. I'm so pleased this section is on the box - it's a beautiful snippet.

I used the bad quality boot of this section in my non-completed H&V fanmix. It fits in well into a variety oif places.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: October 26, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »

I have to admit, after being blown away with listening to the track snippets, I was a bit disappointed with IIGS and Barnyard.  I had hoped that Mark might be able to mask the piano from the Humble Harv demo more than he has, I guess the technology just isn't there at the moment to be able to seperate the piano from the vocal more.

OK - the technology to 'separate' multiple audio sources from a single recording will never exist. Holywood and CSI portrayals of the contrary are fantasy. You can mask or emphasise multiple audio signals, but if they intersect at the same moment in time on a recording and haven't been multitracked, the separation can never be complete.

So in the case of Smile or other musical archeology it becomes a conceptual and production  - i.e. creative - rather than technical problem. We need to reserve judgement until the official release, but based on my initial listen, conceptually, I prefer Jon Hunt's fan mix. Not that the audio quality was better - it wasn't - but his idea of leading with the Humble Harv demo, and then enhancing that core track by poking that cheeky sax line (easier to isolate that, than to de-emphasise the piano) through as a decoration, rather than trying to approximate a finished Smile track with a balanced vocal/track mix, made for a better listening experience imo. Taking that approach with the current track, and letting the intrumental track take over after the transitional echoplex feedback, would have worked more realistically with the limitations in my view.

That said, what ML & AB have achieved with the available material is staggering, and I'll reserve judgement til I hear it.

But I do expect strong opinions on IIGS - it's listed on the orignian Smile album slick and discoveries surrounding this track were among the major exciting breakthroughs in Smile research conducted on the ol' Smile Shop board. Delighted to have it in whatever form, but robust debate has always been a big part of enjoying this material, so people shouldn't take offence if production decisions are examined in a respectful way. On the contrary, it's a massive tip o' the hat!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:14:49 AM by UK_Surf » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: October 26, 2011, 02:10:22 AM »

I have to admit, after being blown away with listening to the track snippets, I was a bit disappointed with IIGS and Barnyard.  I had hoped that Mark might be able to mask the piano from the Humble Harv demo more than he has, I guess the technology just isn't there at the moment to be able to seperate the piano from the vocal more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaX52GbjSU

But doesn't isolating the vocals rely on you also having the same track without vocals? I have absolutely no idea about this technology, so please excuse my ignorance, but as I understand it you kind of sync one track up that doesn't have the vocals and it allows you to isolate the vocals in the other track. With this Harv demo I find it hard to believe the piano could be removed without seriously compromising the vocals. If it's possible I'd love to hear someone do it. Until then, I'll remain skeptical.

OK - the technology to 'separate' multiple audio sources from a single recording will never exist. Holywood and CSI portrayals of the contrary are fantasy. You can mask or emphasise multiple audio signals, but if they intersect at the same moment in time on a recording and haven't been multitracked, the separation can never be complete.

So in the case of Smile or other musical archeology it becomes conceptual and production problem. We need to reserve jusgement until the official release, but based on my initial listen, conceptually, I prefer Jon Hunt's mix. Not that the audio quality was better - it wasn't - but his idea of leading with the Humble Harv demo, and then enhancing that core track by poking that cheeky sax line (easier to isolate that, than to de-emphasise the piano) through as a decoration, rather than trying to approximate a finished Smile track with a balanced vocal/track mix, made for a better listening experience imo. Taking that approach with the current track, and letting the intrumental track take over after the transitional echoplex feedback, would have worked more realistically with the limitations in my view.

That said, what ML & AB have achieved with the available material is staggering, and I'll reserve judgement til I hear it.

But I do expect strong opinions on IIGS - it's listed on the album slick and discoveries surrounding this track were among the major exciting breakthroughs in Smile research conducted on the ol' Smile Shop board. Delighted to have it in whatever form, but robust debate has always been a big part of enjoying this material, so people shouldn't take offence if production decisions are examined in a respectful way. On the contrary, it's a massive tip o' the hat!

Edit: Looks like somebody ^^^ a little more clued up beat me to it!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:12:30 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: October 26, 2011, 02:16:13 AM »

Edit: Looks like somebody ^^^ a little more clued up beat me to it!
[/quote]

A bit of studio experience mate, but nowhere near as much as many on this board (who I hope will correct me if I've blundered!).
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: October 26, 2011, 02:23:02 AM »

I like the Barnyard mix, but IIGS is rather sloppy. Brian's vocals aren't synced to the backing track that well. And the quick fading out of the vocals is REALLY sloppy. But I guess I'll try to mix one myself with the backing track in better quality.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:25:06 AM by homeontherange » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7749 on: October 26, 2011, 02:43:57 AM »

The "Harv" demo is mono (precisely, it was recorded in mono), thus removing the piano isn't a possibility.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 314 315 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx