gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 06:11:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1745472 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »

Andrew.  What if it comes out and it also has "Solar System" on it???   Grin
PhilCohen
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »

What's intriguing here is that "Cabinessence" will now have to appear in mono for the first time!
But, if it has the 1968 "20/20" vocal overdubs it will have to be "folded down" mono, because it has always been stated that the multitracks for the 1968 overdubs can't be found.

Why would it have the 1968 overdubs ?  Unless they retitle it The Smile (and a bit of 20/20) Sessions.  Smiley

Answer: because otherwise, the sections that have Carl's solo vocals(on the "20/20" mix) will be instrumental.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »

What's intriguing here is that "Cabinessence" will now have to appear in mono for the first time!
But, if it has the 1968 "20/20" vocal overdubs it will have to be "folded down" mono, because it has always been stated that the multitracks for the 1968 overdubs can't be found.

Why would it have the 1968 overdubs ?  Unless they retitle it The Smile (and a bit of 20/20) Sessions.  Smiley

So maybe we'll get a legit issue of "George Fell Into His French Horn"?  The thought of that makes ME smile.  Also, the "Vegetables Arguments" please, although they might edit out Hal Blaine's dildo joke!   

If this thing costs me over $150 I damn well expect that joke to be left in! Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »

Answer: because otherwise, the sections that have Carl's solo vocals(on the "20/20" mix) will be instrumental.

Yes... like "Worms", "Child" and quite a few others. This is an archival release of an album whose fame rests on it never being finished. I don't see a problem.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »

Yes... like "Worms", "Child" and quite a few others. This is an archival release of an album whose fame rests on it never being finished. I don't see a problem.

I just was about to ask what you guys think, if the finished "Surf's up" from '71 will be on the CD or just strict 60s recordings.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »

I just was about to ask what you guys think, if the finished "Surf's up" from '71 will be on the CD or just strict 60s recordings.

Been there, a bit further down the thread.

All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »

Damn - you wait 44 years for a Smile box, then two come along at once !  Grin

When it rains it pours can, I guess, be used in a positive way too.  Some people keep talking about all this in proximity to some natural disasters but I'm a little spooked because it looks like the long rumored and eternally held-up John Fahey box set will drop this year.  Little miracles I guess.  Maybe the Box Set Fairy is granting wishes!   
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »

Been there, a bit further down the thread.

Hang my head in shame....

This is gonna be legendary.....  3D

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »

Damn - you wait 44 years for a Smile box, then two come along at once !  Grin

When it rains it pours can, I guess, be used in a positive way too.  Some people keep talking about all this in proximity to some natural disasters but I'm a little spooked because it looks like the long rumored and eternally held-up John Fahey box set will drop this year.  Little miracles I guess.  Maybe the Box Set Fairy is granting wishes!   
Probably the box set fairy is running out of ideas. Kind of like the "television shows that are now off the air but we'll release them as dvd sets" fairy. 

You know somewhere there's some record execs who for years have been going "HELL NO! NO SMILE BEACH BOYS ALBUM!" and then they eventually ran out of other things to say yes to, so here we have it. 
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »

It'd be a crying shame not to include the 20/20 Cabinessence if that's the only version out there with a lead vocal.  I can't imagine anyone objecting to anything about that version.  If Carl added his vocals in '68, so be it.  Nothing sounds odd or out of place.

The '71 Surf's Up is a different story.  It's a bit of a "frankenstein" mixture of things that weren't necessarily intended to go together (i.e., the instrumental track in the first section and Brian's piano version in the second, along with reputedly non-vintage lyrics on the tag).  If it's excluded or relegated to deep "bonus track" status, that's okay by me.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »

It'd be a crying shame not to include the 20/20 Cabinessence if that's the only version out there with a lead vocal.  I can't imagine anyone objecting to anything about that version.  If Carl added his vocals in '68, so be it.  Nothing sounds odd or out of place.

The '71 Surf's Up is a different story.  It's a bit of a "frankenstein" mixture of things that weren't necessarily intended to go together (i.e., the instrumental track in the first section and Brian's piano version in the second, along with reputedly non-vintage lyrics on the tag).  If it's excluded or relegated to deep "bonus track" status, that's okay by me.

I would actually be perfectly fine with a 1969 Cabinessence and a 1971 Surf's Up. Those songs were left unfinished in 1967, and any mix that would be ensembled now, even if it doesn't include any post-1967 recordings, would be a 2011 product and therefor less authentic. A version of a Smile song finished and officially approved by The Beach Boys within four years from the original sessions is relatively authentic enough for me. If a modern band like Coldplay or Kaiser Chiefs would mess around now with a song that they originally recorded in 2007, than nobody would question it's authenticity, right?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »

Wondering what input Brian will have in this?  Shrug

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 06:05:42 PM »

I would actually be perfectly fine with a 1969 Cabinessence and a 1971 Surf's Up. Those songs were left unfinished in 1967, and any mix that would be ensembled now, even if it doesn't include any post-1967 recordings, would be a 2011 product and therefor less authentic. A version of a Smile song finished and officially approved by The Beach Boys within four years from the original sessions is relatively authentic enough for me. If a modern band like Coldplay or Kaiser Chiefs would mess around now with a song that they originally recorded in 2007, than nobody would question it's authenticity, right?
[/quote]

I would actually be perfectly fine with new mixes that are ensembled (assembled?) now.  Couldn't someone do a better mix of "Vegetables" or at least put the Bicycle Rider section into "Do You Like Worms"?  Of course that happened on BWPS, which is the model for this.  Now I'm wondering if they will use stuff from Smiley Smile like on BWPS?  I don't mean whole songs, just little pieces, like the tag to "Vegetables" or the whispering winds stuff from "Wind Chimes".
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »

It would seem bizarre that on the one hand, they would be purists to the point of excluding the followup work on Cabin Essence, but on the other hand, would model the "finished" album after a suite concept that was developed 37 years after the fact (and which excludes the tags, which I think was some of the best music recorded for Smile).  Frankly, this is starting to sound like a worst-of-all-worlds disaster.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »

Frankly, this is starting to sound like a worst-of-all-worlds disaster.

Wow, elation to devastation in less than 12 hours.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »

The worst-of-all-worlds disaster, as regards SMiLE, would be Brian dying and stipulating in his will that the master tapes be destroyed or maybe buried with him!  I believed for some time that he might allow a release after his death: it looks like I am wrong and I couldn't be happier.  I'm still pretty elated!
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »

The worst-of-all-worlds disaster, as regards SMiLE, would be Brian dying and stipulating in his will that the master tapes be destroyed or maybe buried with him!  I believed for some time that he might allow a release after his death: it looks like I am wrong and I couldn't be happier.  I'm still pretty elated!

Yep. Prior to that interview with Al, I really didn't see this happening until after Brian had passed away.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »

I think the 71 Surf's up is a completed finished song.  Brian still does that, reuses things he wrote 30 years ago... Carl did a good job (with Brian) finishing that sucker up.  Not how it was originally intended, but the original recordings are what they are.  Unfinished.  Personally... I don't see a problem welding Brian's vocal onto the band version, since they were both recorded about the same time... obviously the one is a demo, though.  Sad
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »

Wondering what input Brian will have in this?  Shrug

Mark = "Well, We're finished.  Whuddya think Brian?"

Brian = "It's GREAT! I LOVE IT! Talk to you Tommorow!"  (points at Melinda, then the door, then makes a car steering wheel motion with his hands)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:39:46 PM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »

Here's a thought.  We all know for years Brian said he burnt the SMiLE tapes, right?  I wonder if somebody appeased him somewhere along the way and gave him a bunch of copies of the tapes to torch, lol.  It may have actually happened!  LOL  This would make a good Saturday Night Live skit. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »

whoops, double post
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40:40 PM »

$300? No way. What's a reasonable price for a 4 CD set nowadays? $80 max, right? A new double LP? $40 max. A new 7" single? $10 max. So I'd be very surprised if this box would be over $150.

I have no idea what the set will cost, but don't forget to factor in the 60 page hardcover book.  That's definitely gonna add to the list price of the set, especially with color printing on premium stock pages.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »

who gives a damn what it costs???
we will all beg, steal, or borrow whatever it takes.

i'm just wondering how limited the limited edition will be.
at least 100,000 copies i'm hoping/guessing.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »

I doubt if the 1971 version will be there. Surely we all own that anyway, so if you want it to include that instead of whatever it ends up including, you can burn yer own CD.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:47 AM »

This is being released as sessions, not the finished item.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx