gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681631 Posts in 27650 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 21, 2024, 08:34:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1756069 times)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4750 on: August 27, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

Looks like the first page of the book has the quote: "we wanted to [something] something completely different, we were trying to create musical artistry"

Yeah I remember Mike saying that somewhere  Grin

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: August 27, 2011, 01:42:54 PM »

I'm eager to know what th 1967 version of Surf's Up is.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4752 on: August 27, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »

I'm eager to know what th 1967 version of Surf's Up is.

The "Dove nested towers" section was replaced with an early 'Student Demonstration Time" insert.  Smiley

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 27, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »

Just pre-ordered mine. I hope Capitol doesn't fleece us too hard with exclusive tracks...

I feel confident that the mixes are going to be out of this world phenominal... even better....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 27, 2011, 01:47:25 PM »

Just pre-ordered mine. I hope Capitol doesn't fleece us too hard with exclusive tracks...

I feel confident that the mixes are going to be out of this world phenominal... even better....

If the sound on the promo video is any indication, phenomenal is just about right.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: August 27, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »

here's the PROMO on youtube. thanks STE!!!

You're welcome! Thought it would be nice to watch in full screen.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 27, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

I won't watch the promo... I want to hear everything as if for the 1st time... I'm so excited I was calling random people in the phonebook just to express my joy!

I did buy M.I.U today, the original one-fer release from Rhino... I heard (from sources close to Mike Love) that M.I.U. is amazing...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4757 on: August 27, 2011, 02:08:33 PM »

I won't watch the promo... I want to hear everything as if for the 1st time... I'm so excited I was calling random people in the phonebook just to express my joy!

I did buy M.I.U today, the original one-fer release from Rhino... I heard (from sources close to Mike Love) that M.I.U. is amazing...

Better than SMiLE.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 27, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »

"SMiLE Sessions' physical and digital configurations include an assembled collection of core session tracks, while the box set delves much deeper into the

sessions, adding early song drafts, alternate takes, instrumental and vocals-only mixes, and studio chatter. "

can't wait for a boxset tracklisting!!!

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 27, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

I guess they didn't find the inside pop reels afterall. It's too bad they didn't also include a dvd with all the weird home movie footage that we've seen over the years, or the fire promo. I really like the 3d cover though, that's a really cool addition that I can't wait to see in action.

Also will the 5 discs have a layour like the PSS did? The 2 disc version seems to be pretty random in what things got included and what didn't, I hope the 5 discs will have a more discernible ordering.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4760 on: August 27, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

oh weird guys. I had assumed that the one tap box picture was a vinyl sleeve but in the video both vinyl discs are shown coming out of the smile shop sleeve. I guess the tape box thing is just pictures of tape boxes?

Watch the video again - caption says what it's for.

It's too bad they didn't also include a dvd with all the weird home movie footage that we've seen over the years, or the fire promo.

That would be the fire promo that doesn't actually exist ?  Wink
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:27:03 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4761 on: August 27, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 27, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »

I guess they didn't find the inside pop reels afterall. It's too bad they didn't also include a dvd with all the weird home movie footage that we've seen over the years, or the fire promo. I really like the 3d cover though, that's a really cool addition that I can't wait to see in action.

Also will the 5 discs have a layour like the PSS did? The 2 disc version seems to be pretty random in what things got included and what didn't, I hope the 5 discs will have a more discernible ordering.

On disc 2 it looks like they are giving representative (or the best of) sessions for many of the disc 1 tracks in the order they appear on disc 1.   Yes, I would guess the box will have sessions grouped by song title like PSS did. 

I too had hoped for a miracle inclusion of the Inside Pop footage. 
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 27, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »

wonder if bwps will get a sales push from this release. be nice if it could go gold in the us also. (well, i think so anyway)  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 27, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

One can honestly make the case they were meant to be instrumental!

Especially "Holidays", that never felt suited for vocals to me...

Unless you're Dominic Priore, you really can't make the case that the parts of Worms and Child that are missing lead vocals were intended to be instrumental.

With Look and Holidays, I suppose you could make that argument, but as discussed many, many times in this forum, both were recorded very early in the Smile sessions, were not returned to, and were not included in the track list sent to Capitol.  In fact, the only work on either after about early September (as far as we know) was for Look vocals.  So there is really no evidence whatsoever that the completed album would have had instrumentals of Look or Holidays.  And Da Da wasn't even recorded until after SMile was canceled.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 27, 2011, 02:58:09 PM »

I really hope someone is monitoring Phil Cohen....I am concerned he may do himself harm!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: August 27, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »

Phil's back and for once he ain't got nothing to say.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4767 on: August 27, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »

And is no one gonna say anything about Cabin Essence double tracked stereo vocals??

Just listened more closely - standard 20/20 lead vocal (i.e. mono/ADT), but excellently remastered.

Really? I didn't know the BBs used ADT? Hard to tell at the standard amazon bitrate.

And H&V sounded a bit different too, a bit more 'locked in' rhythmically. Wonder if its been twiddled with in Pro Tools.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
ghost
« Reply #4768 on: August 27, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

Holidays is a great track, I don't believe the theory that just because it was not yet returned to makes it obsolete for a possible track listing.

How about this - the track is so goshdarn perfect that Brian said "well alright, I'll just put this over here until I'm ready to cut vocals later."
Jason
« Reply #4769 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »

Banana
Phil's back and for once he ain't got nothing to say.

Banana
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4770 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »

Here's what he has to say, I think:

1) The video is obviously a fake, because it's not coming out. Deal with it.

2) We know this set is useless because the video only shows books opening and closing and some CDs moving around.

3) The video plays "Heroes And Villains," "Cabinessence," and "Our Prayer." We've heard those songs already. So that means that this 5-CD box won't have a single thing that we haven't already heard. Because all the fans have heard bootlegs.

Now...am I right?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4771 on: August 27, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »

I am bothered by the Song For Children and Roll Plymouth Rock parenthetical titles--it's an anachronism/historical inaccuracy. But it's a slight complaint. In the end, it won't really "matter." It's weird that they didn't title Dada, In Blue Hawaii. Could this mean something?

Why not? Heck, Van Dyke Parks himself says he has no idea where the title "Do You Like Worms" comes from because he always knew it as "Roll Plymouth Rock."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: August 27, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »

Holidays is a great track, I don't believe the theory that just because it was not yet returned to makes it obsolete for a possible track listing.

How about this - the track is so goshdarn perfect that Brian said "well alright, I'll just put this over here until I'm ready to cut vocals later."

Right.  It was so goshdarn perfect that they forgot to put it on the track list.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: August 27, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »

I've never heard one bootleg.  I am over the moon with excitement.  I don't own the GV box either.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4774 on: August 27, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »

With Look and Holidays, I suppose you could make that argument, but as discussed many, many times in this forum, both were recorded very early in the Smile sessions, were not returned to, and were not included in the track list sent to Capitol.  In fact, the only work on either after about early September (as far as we know) was for Look vocals.  So there is really no evidence whatsoever that the completed album would have had instrumentals of Look or Holidays.  And Da Da wasn't even recorded until after SMile was canceled.

I used to consider "Look" to be kind of an overture, since it has bits of "Child Is Father Of The Man" and "Good Vibrations," and possibly others that I'm missing...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 195 196 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx