-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The Teachers' Thread
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 18686 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:31:25 AM »

Ask and you shall receive.  I don't know what Maybelline teaches, but i taught English for years, and currently teach middle school Social Studies.

How can i help you?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:18 AM »

What can I do to receive extra credit?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »

I don't give extra credit.  In my class, you do what you're supposed to do, or you don't...but you earn your grade based on the given assignments, not on extra work when you've goofed around all marking period.

I know...i'm mean...

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 10:42:30 AM »

Hows it like teaching middle schoolers these days? I remember giving my SS teacher hell...but he was kind of a jerk.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:03:04 AM »

My wife teachers espanol.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:57:01 AM »

computer/ technology teacher here, grades K-8!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:44:03 PM »

Amosario, there aren't too many jobs i'd rather be doing than teaching middle school.  Being a full-time musician would be one; being independently wealthy would be the other.  The kids make me laugh, they make me cry...they make me mad, they make me think...my inner child, i sometimes think, is a middle schooler, so they and i get along just fine!
;-)

Jason - how do you like your middle schoolers?

jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 05:05:09 PM »

Deep fried and covered in chocolate syrup.

I will sue this blog and the owner
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 06:40:15 PM »

Ya'll know it's a proven scientific fact -- that anything deep fried is pimpalicious, right?

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 12:12:45 PM »

my inner child, i sometimes think, is a middle schooler, so they and i get along just fine!
;-)

I agree with this comment 110% Susan.  It's amazing how well I can relate to them sometimes.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 12:24:40 PM »

Relate to them well you do, eh? you sick foda.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 11:47:16 AM »

Deep fried and covered in chocolate syrup.

No joke...that's a real flier. Methinks some one goofed up on it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 12:33:34 PM »

Personally, I like my children baked, not fried.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 12:55:38 PM »

Bad advice for their teenage years of rebellion.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 01:01:21 PM »

Bwahahahahahaha! :D

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a "desert bar". I think one would be perfect for a Sandbox.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:03:53 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »

Amosario, there aren't too many jobs i'd rather be doing than teaching middle school.  Being a full-time musician would be one; being independently wealthy would be the other.  The kids make me laugh, they make me cry...they make me mad, they make me think...my inner child, i sometimes think, is a middle schooler, so they and i get along just fine!
;-)

What do you think of the teacher's union?  Good or bad?

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »

What do you think of the teacher's union?  Good or bad?

Rerun, i'm one of three union reps from my building, so it's interesting that you should ask!

The teachers' unions are critically important for a few reasons.  The first is, obviously, economic.  Towns and cities face difficult economic decisions these days, and for some reason one of the first things they look to cut is the education budget.  My union will enter contract negotiations this summer for our next three-year contract, and i know that those in charge of negotiations are already marshalling their forces against what they perceive to be some of the most difficult negotiations in a long time.  Our union not only looks at salaries, but also medical and insurance benefits, teaching assignment/duty equity...all sorts of things.  RIght now, my executive council [all the building reps in the district, plus our president] is working on getting state funding of our teachers' retirement fund back up to 100% - CT teachers don't collect Social Security, so ALL we have is the state fund, and it has been grossly underfunded for ten year.  Big battle; we are taking it on.

Another reason the union is important is that as teachers are asked to do more with less, principals - inadvertently or purposely - are asking teachers to do more than they are contracted to do.  Sometimes such a situation is easily resolved, but more often, it takes some work to prove that the request or assignment is against contract.  I'm lucky to work with a principal who is very aware of this, and works hard to be equitable at every turn.  Others aren't so lucky; they NEED their union to correct an unfair situation.

I realize there are unions and union reps who are out to get administration.  There are unions that do NOT work for their constituents.  But does that mean we should get rid of the unions?  Hell no...it means those unions need to clean their own house and start making the difference for their teachers.

mike thornton
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 05:59:55 PM »

i teach special education here in california and have an sdc/functional skills class. 4-6th grade. they are great kids and need a lot of care/attention. as a primary grades teacher, i saw other special ed "teachers" yelling at their kids and treating them like crap so, i stepped up to the plate and added another credential. i haven't regretted it for one day. Grin

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 06:39:05 PM »

Good for you, CYA.  Our special needs kids SO need to have empathetic, sympathetic, caring professionals...my nephew is pretty challenged, so on behalf of him and his family, i thank you.

We have an autistic boy in the school play this year - he's in the moderate-to-severe range - and while he can be a little trying sometimes [asking twice the questions we just answered...of BOTH of us...when we're down to our last nerve...] he is tremendous on stage, and he is having a blast.  Even better than that, he is hanging with THE most accepting, loving kids in the school, who totally take him under their collective wing.  They love him as we do, they make sure he's all set...and once he's on stage, he gives it everything he's got in a highly appropriate way.

I love that kid...i'm gonna miss all of his questions once the show is over.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 08:16:31 PM »

I'm too cool for school.

Banana

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:15:06 AM »

Prosecutors drop sex case against teacher

She offers 'deepest apologies' to boy, 14, and his family

(She's going to use this as a springboard now. She'll appear on reality shows and probably pose for Playboy. Another person getting rich instead of going behind bars.)

LOOK AT HER STUPID FACE! YOU CAN PRACTICALLY SEE THE DOLLAR SIGNS IN HER EYES. BOOK DEALS, MOVIE OF THE WEEK, PENTHOUSE, THE SURREAL LIFE, CELEBIRTY DEAL OR NO DEAL, DANCING FUCKING WITH THE STARS.....THERE'S NO LIMIT TO WHERE SHE'LL GO! "YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT AFTER ALL!!!!"

OCALA, Florida (CNN) -- Prosecutors here dropped charges Tuesday against a former teacher accused of having sex with a middle school student.

The teacher, Debra Lafave, offered her "deepest apologies" to the 14-year-old boy and his family.

Lafave, 25, said she is undergoing therapy for bipolar disorder and was "very remorseful" about the events that led to her arrest in June 2004.

"My greatest regret would probably be the fact that I put this young man through this," she said.

Lafave taught reading at a suburban Tampa middle school before her arrest.

The boy told investigators he had sex with Lafave three times in four days in June 2004, according to court documents. One of those times was in a car while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around, he told authorities. (Nice!)

He also said she performed oral sex on him multiple times, including once at her home, the documents said. (Double nice! Let's hear it for Bi-polar disorder!)

In November, Lafave pleaded guilty in Hillsborough County court to two counts of lewd and lascivious behavior. She was sentenced in that case to three years under house arrest and seven years of probation, and was required to register as a sex offender.

One of the incidents was alleged to have occurred in Marion County, so similar charges were also filed there, and Lafave's defense negotiated a similar plea agreement.

But that deal was tossed out Tuesday by Marion County Superior Court Judge Hale Stancil, and prosecutors there dropped charges when the teen balked at testifying.

"It's over -- and this time, this case is really over, and over for good," Lafave's lawyer, John Fitzgibbons, told reporters. "We can only hope now that in the next few weeks Debbie will basically fade into a footnote in everybody's memory."

In a written statement, Assistant State Attorney Richard Ridgway said the trial was likely to be broadcast on cable television, raising concerns about the privacy of the boy Lafave was accused of molesting. He would have been the prosecution's key witness.

"The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims of this case in order to force it to trial," Ridgway said. "I am not."

Lafave criticized the extensive media coverage her case received, accusing reporters of invading the privacy of her former student.

She said she was taking a journalism course online, adding, "God has given me a great outlet to write, and I would hope I could reach people through writing."

"I am a strong Christian woman," she said. "I believe that God has a path for me, and this was just a bump in the road."

(A bump in the road. Hear that? Child molestation is just a bump in the road. Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with these people? And if this was a man, there would be no hesistation. We need to send a message here, but now they are giving the green light to insane teachers everywhere to unzip it and let it fly. Hopefully, "God's plan" is to wipe Florida off the map this summer. They can move my beloved Buccaneers up to Virginia.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 08:18:15 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 07:18:09 PM »

When we abandon the commandments of God, when we abandon a moral compass and say there's no right or wrong, just choices, we can excuse a teacher sleeping with a student.  And I don't say that as a self righteous person, I say that as someone who has seen and done things, online and offline, that are wrong and sinful. 

Or, in other words, just as a mom should cry about a daughter proclaiming herself for all the world to read, a "cheerful slut,"  likewise we should be moved to tears about an evil world that will allow this teacher to profit from the lifetime of damage she's inflicted on that boy.

Cabana Boy
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 04:51:50 AM »

Molesting? Are they sure? If MY Comprehensive school teachers had been cute, horny 23 y/o's, I'd have let them "molest" me, too.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 05:13:24 AM »

Therein exists the double-standard.

Watch out for snakes!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:17 AM »

Molesting? Are they sure? If MY Comprehensive school teachers had been cute, horny 23 y/o's, I'd have let them "molest" me, too.

Yes, I would too, but you see, when you send your child to school you shouldn't have to be afraid of them being corrupted by the people put in place to educate them and mould them into respectable adults.
The world shouldn't be one big XXX film.

My wife works so hard and provides a positive role model for her students, and a scumbag like this woman is a disgrace to the whole profession. And I know the type. My wife works right along side a few similar nutjobs.

You have to have boundaries and rules. Otherwise, we'd have ffffffriggin' anarchy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: