gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:55:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS Live Atlanta 1974 0r 73  (Read 5203 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »

I just put some of my shaky super 8 BB movies on YOUTUBE ,it has Blondie on it so is it 73 or 74?
My memory is weak . Tickets were 6 ,5 , 4 dollars!
Those were the days!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c94dsOzkWRU

Cook pork throughly
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »

Definitely no later than '73 (Blondie left at the end of that year).
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »

The BBs played the Omni in 1973. They played the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium in 1974, so the footage is gotta be '73. One of the opening acts was some guy named Bruce Springsteen. Grin

Thanks for posting footage from a hometown show, Ray! It's nice to see something from a show I actually attended.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:43:17 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »

I'm always so envious of those of you who got to chance to see that band in that period..
Makes me wish that I was much older and American..

Thanks for sharing this!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:44:32 AM »

Thank you for posting this !!

I like that Mike's not doing the moves he's known for.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:17:50 AM »

April 11th, 1973... and the images may be a little blurry, but the audio is just dandy !  Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:21:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:29:21 AM »

Interesting. Where the audio comes from?

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:54:40 AM »

Cool - it's like seeing the photos from IN CONCERT come to life briefly!
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:18 AM »

Ive got bout 8 minutes more.Plus a couple oher showa from that period. Ill try to knock those out ,iffin you wanna see em!

Cook pork throughly
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »

Interesting. Where the audio comes from?
Ive got bout 8 minutes more.Plus a couple oher showa from that period. Ill try to knock those out ,iffin you wanna see em!

Cool stuff, no doubt about it. 
Did you sync the audio track later from another source? (they definitely don't seem to be playing the same song we're hearing)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:46 AM »

I just put some of my shaky super 8 BB movies on YOUTUBE ,it has Blondie on it so is it 73 or 74?
Those were the days!
\
Thanks - that was very cool!  Wink

And those great ticket prices...now six bucks won't even buy you a beer!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:54:10 AM »

Cool footage!
First time I saw the band was 12/73 & tickets were $4.50!  Still have the stub some where.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »

Man, how great to see footage from that time, and that night specifically...  I remember first standing at CNN Center, (my brother-in-law is the head audio guy at CNN), and being told it was the site of the old Omni.  I immediately flashed to this concert, and this night; what a great show, and great memory of tearing up Atlanta until dawn...
The BBs played the Omni in 1973...  One of the opening acts was some guy named Bruce Springsteen. Grin
After you post the other 8 minutes, be sure and put up your footage of the opening act, too!  Wink Wink
Seriously, I could kick myself for the missed opportunities of shooting either stills, video, or film of various opening acts like Springsteen.  A typical scenario for me was walking into the back of an auditorium or stadium with Dennis, seeing & hearing someone like Billy Joel, or maybe the Doobie Brothers on stage, and having Dennis yank me by the arm, and say, "They suck!  Let's see what's happening backstage!"  Ah, to have been able to be two places at once...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »

Those were the days!

Thanks for sharing, astroray. Great to see this footage of the group when they were at their very (live) best. Ah, if only those super 8 recordings could've also record audio...

EDIT: just found out that somewhere in '73 Kodak actually released a sound on film version of super 8. Just too late...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:14:11 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »

Man, how great to see footage from that time, and that night specifically...  I remember first standing at CNN Center, (my brother-in-law is the head audio guy at CNN), and being told it was the site of the old Omni.  I immediately flashed to this concert, and this night; what a great show, and great memory of tearing up Atlanta until dawn...
The BBs played the Omni in 1973...  One of the opening acts was some guy named Bruce Springsteen. Grin
After you post the other 8 minutes, be sure and put up your footage of the opening act, too!  Wink Wink
Seriously, I could kick myself for the missed opportunities of shooting either stills, video, or film of various opening acts like Springsteen.  A typical scenario for me was walking into the back of an auditorium or stadium with Dennis, seeing & hearing someone like Billy Joel, or maybe the Doobie Brothers on stage, and having Dennis yank me by the arm, and say, "They suck!  Let's see what's happening backstage!"  Ah, to have been able to be two places at once...

Hi Ed,

I always enjoyour posts. As a long time Billy Joel fan, I have often read things about Billy opening up for The Beach Boys in the 70s. Do you have any info on how the off stage relationship was between he and the band? Did he hang out or party with Dennis and or Brian for example? Thanks again for all the great posts!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »

As a long time Billy Joel fan, I have often read things about Billy opening up for The Beach Boys in the 70s. Do you have any info on how the off stage relationship was between he and the band? Did he hang out or party with Dennis and or Brian for example?

Unfortunately, what I said is about the extent of my Billy Joel memory - and I have no idea in what city this occurred.  I actually discovered more than I could believe about this time from a few brief pages in Jerry Schilling's excellent book, "Me and a Guy Named Elvis".  Hadn't recalled that this is where Jerry came to us from - as Billy Joel's tour manager!  To tell the truth, opening acts are a bit of major blockage in my memories, for a variety of reasons.  There was that period -(was it '76, A.G.D.?)- when The Boys were doing 2 shows in 2 different cities every night, flying on a charter jet between shows.  I was shooting early video of these shows, and they'd build a wooden riser wherever I wanted to shoot video from before the doors opened, then I'd retire & prepare for the show with DW.  Never even knew who was opening, until years later, reading old itineraries & posts on message boards...  Can you imagine how I wanted to kick myself, for so many reasons?
Fortunately this wasn't always the case, and I do have some great memories, and sometimes some great photos.  Probably more memories of these guys wanting to party with Dennis, though.  Which is also why I can't say he & Billy didn't become the best of friends, and party their asses off.  Especially if someone planted the idea in Dennis that Billy had something he wanted - he could become your best friend fast!  I never stop being surprised in hearing someone share a fond memory of Dennis, often being the last person I expect.  He was a hard guy not to love, though; he could so easily make people overlook anything.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »

Chip Rachlin told me that he was put Billy Joel on bills with the BBs after seeing him at some small venue and being knocked out by him-Billy opened for the BBs in 73-75 mostly.  He was supposed to play a bunch of shows with the BBs in 76 but now that I am looking at that period more in depth-I am not sure he actually played any shows with them in 76.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

I think I saw Billy Joel open twice for the BB's ,once at Vanderbilt he was booed on stage ,did his Ray Charles impression and got the crowd back.
As far as the "Help Me Rhonda" on my Super8 footage .I lifted it off "The Zoo" show from1985 ,just to see how it worked.
Ive got more footage ,would you guys rather have sound or no sound?
Here is the poster from the show ,hanging on my wall!

Looks like Bruce S. didnt get a chance to proof the poster!

Cook pork throughly
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »

What a kick in the bollocks that must be for the young Springstin...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

i saw the beach boys april 1st 1975 in louisville, ky at freedom hall. billy joel opened the show. he was a total ass that night. stopped his show over a piano key out of tune. belittled stage hands over it. kept ranting and hitting the out of tune key over and over until it was fixed. yelled at his own band members. the crowd did not like all that. me..i kept waiting for him to play his song the entertainer..which i loved at that time. but he didn't impress that night.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:36:52 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »

Astroray, I've got an identical poster hanging in my office. People who see it usually either comment on the ticket prices or how the Boss' name is spelled.  Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 03:53:43 AM »

Ive got more footage ,would you guys rather have sound or no sound?

I've got no problem with sound, even if it's not from the actual show. But do as you please.
Cool poster !
Shouldn't it be "Springstein"  Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 01:09:56 PM »

Thanks Ed! Always great to read your posts!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx