gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:51:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Beach Boys Rarities
5 - 8 (17.4%)
4 - 13 (28.3%)
3 - 25 (54.3%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Rarities  (Read 28970 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 05:36:38 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Beach Boys Rarities, released September 1983.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:13:11 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:50:25 PM »

Like 20/20, another nice hodgepodge, this time it has unreleased stuff thrown in. Good listening, but better archival releases would come.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 06:17:41 PM »

Great. Still the only official place for the Wild Honey rarities. 4.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Peter Tomatz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:34:26 AM »

I never really liked the single version of Cottonfields until I heard on the LP version of this title. The whole record sounds amazing. The Japanese CD is a complete waste of time.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 07:55:52 AM »

I seldom listen to it.  Bought it new on vinyl on its release.  Still has the shrink wrap. I've played it for a novelty for casual listeners.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:42:53 PM »

I bought this LP at the mall in 1983.  Embarrassed  The same trip saw me leave with the Sharkey's Machine soundtrack & the Sy Snoodles Band Playset from Return Of The Jedi!!! What can I tell ya? Admittedly a dork. There are still some fine gems to be found on this LP. Played it a few weeks ago. The Sharkey's Machine LP is intentionally neglected!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 04:46:29 PM »

The Sharkey's Machine LP is intentionally neglected!

It's better than KTSA!  Grin

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 12:28:17 PM »

I have this album on a tape in my car, side two of which is All Summer Long (mono). Needless to say, I listen to it quite a bit. The Wild Honey outtakes are great, Cottonfields rocks, the alternate Good Vibrations is amazing (LOVE the fuzz bass part), Celebrate the News is awesome, and the rest of it is fun enough.

Watch out for snakes!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 04:20:59 PM »

listening to the medlies...on the hits medly...i was wondering what they did as far as editing and overdubbing...i have a problem with the first vocal of Barbra Ann, it sounds really low and unlike any other Beach Boy and the other problem i find is the version of Little Deuce Coupe...sounds sped up...anyone notice this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »

I believe some of that was done to keep the medleys at the same tempo. Shifting tempos can be disorienting.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 04:30:14 PM »

yeah, i figured that...i just didnt know if i was hearing things or not

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cabana Boy
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 08:52:40 AM »

Ripped from the Japanese 'Rarities/Medley' 2fer, for anyone who hasn't yet had chance to hear the harder-to-find cuts on this one.

With A Little Help From My Friends

The Letter

I Was Made To Love Her
(previously unreleased long version)

Bluebirds Over The Mountain
(previously unreleased two-track mix)

Good Vibrations
(previously unreleased alternate version)

All I Want To Do
(previously unreleased live version)

Auld Lang Syne
(previously unreleased alternate version)
MBE
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 04:24:07 AM »

One of my faves. 20-20 feel IS a good comparison. Just some kicking stuff.
Robav63
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »

Makes you wonder why the longer version of "I was made to love her" wasn't released......the acapella bit thats left out of the released version is fantastic

If I Could Live My Life Again........
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 11:36:47 PM »

The alternate Good Vibrations is interesting, pretty cool. Wish it had a lead vocal on it. Bluebirds over the Mountain and I Was Made to Love Her are better in their original released versions. The a capella break in I Was Made to Love Her comes out of nowhere. All I Want To Do is basically the studio version with a little more punch at the expense of less prominent electric guitar... pretty unessential. I wish it didn't fade out so soon, I want to know how they ended it without the sex fadeout.

The Letter and With a Little Help From My Friends are pretty sweet covers, and it's nice to have a version of Auld Lang Syne without Dennis's voiceover.

3/5.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 02:38:46 AM »

All I Want To Do is basically the studio version with a little more punch at the expense of less prominent electric guitar... pretty unessential. I wish it didn't fade out so soon, I want to know how they ended it without the sex fadeout.

Here are Brad Elliott's notes on that particular version of All I Want To Do:

[During the vault search] we went up to the second floor [of the Capitol Records building] to this little room where some special project tapes were stashed, and the first thing we pulled out were all the tapes of four British concerts from December 1968 – two at the London Palladium and two a week later at Finsbury Park. It turned out the second Finsbury Park show was put out as the live concert album that everyone always thought was recorded at the Palladium in 1969. But here we are with three other shows, so I start comparing the track lineups and noticed that Aren't You Glad was on the Finsbury tapes, but there was a different song in its place on the Palladium tapes. The song was marked something like I Wanna Make Love To You.

[It turned out to] be All I Want to Do. When we played it, we found the version from the first show was really sad. Vocally, they miss all their cues. After one verse, Mike Love says, “This is a song we really don't know yet, so bear with us.” The second show was better and that's the one we used, but you'll notice that it fades out before the end of the song. The reason for that is because while they were recording it, they actually ran out of (eight-track) tape. We tried to splice in the ending of the other version, but it was just too sloppy.

By the way, the tag to I Was Made To Love Her is pretty cool. And The Letter is neat. 3/5!  Smiley

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 07:12:39 AM »

I gave it 5, for this reason: the alternate 'Good Vibrations' was one of the biggest electrical jolts in music in my whole life. It was the 'hum-de-dum'-chorus that did it. You can't always reason to perfection why you like something. So: a shameless 5 out of 5. Like a classical music lover would award to a 4-minute newly found manuscript by Bach.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
JT PDX
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »

I just bought this record the other weekend. I think it's really good and am surprised the Beach Boys disowned it--or maybe I'm not. It's kind of weird that it has 13 songs and SEVEN of them are covers. And this came out when virtually no Beach Boys rarities had been released--think of all the amazing stuff that came out after this via the twofers, the GV box set, Endless Harmony etc. According to Brad Elliott 's website, Capital let him loose in the vaults -- this was the best he could find? The whole tracklist seems rather random and hodgepodge. I doubt the average fan was clamoring for "You're Welcome" to be compiled on an album--though I love it of course.

Of the currently exclusive stuff: the alt. version of IWMTLH sounds like an unfinished and unsuccessful experiment--the acappella insert is awkwardly shoe-horned in. Still it is somehow compelling. It's just great to hear those classic voices in new arrangements. The alternate mix of BOTM is totally "balls out"--excuse the expression. I actually think I prefer this version to the 20/20 one which I never fully fell in love with. The alternate GB sounds great and is real treat. I like the fact that only some of the vocals are on it. It sounds extra eerie and spacey that way. And it sounds great on vinyl.

I love the live version of "All I Want to Do." Mike does a really great job and it seriously rocks out. I'd love to see more live versions of deep cuts like this released some day.

The record sleeve has good liner notes from Elliott on one side--and a nice montage with dozens of tiny photos of the Boys on the other side. The album cover, front and back is atrocious--though I won't deny the cover star looks good. I think the moron on the beach is supposed to me ogling her but his line of sight is totally in the wrong direction. I guess he's looking at some even hotter babe off camera. The back cover has a bunch of floating images and visual non-sequiters.

Overall though, still a very good album. It was such a treat to finally get this.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »

I never really liked the single version of Cottonfields until I heard on the LP version of this title. The whole record sounds amazing. The Japanese CD is a complete waste of time.

I actually have the Japan cd...but I recently saw this on vinyl for 15$ and was wondering if it was worth alot and how good it sounded.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

JT PDX
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

I actually have the Japan cd...but I recently saw this on vinyl for 15$ and was wondering if it was worth alot and how good it sounded.

I haven't heard the Japanese CD but the record really does sound good. Clear, warm, and full of space (especially GV) -not that I am that much of an audiophile. I don't have the ears of some of our fellow board members and I never listen on good headphones. Of course, I usually think vinyl sounds better. The record isn't too valuable. It's lowest price is $15 on amazon. I found mine for $4 bucks at junk store with tons of records.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »

Just bought the vinyl a week ago, sounds great.
I bought it along with the GV/H&V 78 that was available for Record store Day 2011 for 30$...is that a good price? it wasn't in the original wrap but I see that as a collector's item soon.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »

Rarities is a cool album. I like the 20/20 comparison in the sense that it's a hodge-podge of neat songs. I'm not sure why With A Little Help From My Friends was chosen as the first song. It's the laziest (and stoned) sounding song on the album. The Letter is neat in a simple garage rockish sorta way. I Was Made To Love Her has that cool a cappella tag. You're Welcome is always a little treat. The Lord's Prayer is lush and angelic. Bluebirds Over The Mountain, with that loud annoying tick-tock sound isn't as good as the 20/20 version in my opinion. Celebrate The News is incredible!!! Dennis at his most complex. I wish there were more Dennis moments like CTN. Good Vibrations is excellent as usual. Land Ahoy is neat but nothing special, really. In My Room in German...well, okay, it's a neat idea,but...... Cotton Fields is awesome with the steel guitar by Red Rhodes. All I Want To Do Live is kick ass rock & roll!! And Auld Land Syne is well executed. 3.5

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »

Not a bad album at all. In fact I prefer this over KTSA lol.
There are many reasons to get this LP, but the main one would be for the two songs "The Letter" and "WALHFMF". The former is a underrated cover that the Beach Boys did brilliantly. This album really should get remastered and re-released on CD.
3 out of 5.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »

4/5 What a surprise to find this in a record store during the James Watt fiasco.. Shocked  I find this to be  an enjoyable release but much better than 20//20.. Should be  released in USA on CD for completest. Had to buy one from japan.. And once again I have a problem with the cheapo cover art..
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 10:45:31 PM »

A couple friends and I dropped in on a college radio station, circa summer '84, and I noticed they had this album, so I asked them to play something off it. I was just surprised they had the album. So the dj played "With a Little Help From My Friends". I bought the album the year before when it came out, curious about what kind of stuff was on it. It's all over the place, but it's a good mini education at how many different ideas the group has tried over the years. Always liked "Land Ahoy", thought it was better than some of the songs that did make it on to the first album. Hearing them sing "In My Room" in German proves what a bad language that is for pop songs! "All I Want to Do" rocks, would like to hear more from that concert. Al's version of "Cottonfields" is a keeper - is this the version that was used on the UK Sunflower album? Love the Wild Honey outtakes. Love the cover.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx