gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:43:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A "What If?"--No Mike Love after 1966  (Read 20642 times)
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 07:50:30 AM »

I highly doubt SMiLE would have been released had Mike left the group. 

Brian would have probably spent too much time feeling crappy and trying to talk Mike back into the group...and they'd end up in the place they have ended up in reality.   He would have canned VDP, probably cut off Asher - which, in retrospect - pretty much came to fruition all along.   From what we know, it seemed BW had a major guilt trip complex that people played off of and when he'd finally say, "F*** YOU!" everyone acted so surprised as if BW was the a**hole. 

They seem like a million other families many of us are familiar with...manipulative via obliviousness. 

Feh.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 08:36:03 AM »

They would have been even better if Mike had expelled. He was OK up til 66. He outlasted his usefulness.  Note how few lead vocals he had from Smiley Smile to Holland.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »

Mmh-hmm, the band would have been much much better without some of the best vocals of their entire career.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 11:42:57 AM »

Roll Eyes

The band woulda been so much better without Meant For You, or Do It Again, or All I Wanna Do, or Big Sur, or or or...

ri-i-i-ight.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2005, 12:18:29 PM »

Actually, I think it was the Lovester's idea to change the name to Beach.

I think the big factor is less the Lovester (who, after all, seemed to have little trouble with the early 70s stuff; in fact, his involvement with the music certainly stands as the last decent thing he did with the BB) than with the drugs and drink that were destroying Brian and Dennis.  Let's also not forget that several of Brian's 'supporters' in the mid-60s split when the going got rough, some only returning to the fold when there was capital to be gained from the publicity surrounding BWPS.

Ever see the movie, Whale Song?  Or read the book?  It's about a BW type who only wants to drop out of the business to make beautiful artistic music.  Nice idea, but as much as I love BW, it wouldn't happen because, by and large, since the mid-60s (and possibly a period around 70), he seems to have had no motivation. The muse has practically gone. Personally, I'd hook him up with Paddy McAloon and lock the two of them in a studio until their meanderings produce something worthwhile.  No burgers, either.

Also needed, as I said earlier, was a more pro-active manager with some sense of the band's artistic as opposed to financial worth. After Reilley, that was it.  I suppose we can thank our lucky stars that Landy didn't become their manager.  One good album from BW doesn't hide the damage he did.

Could've happened, though.
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 12:40:52 PM »

I would have missed Mikes voice on alot of post smile tracks Brian helped produce. So in a way the music would defintely have suffered. Funky Pretty is one example.
Bob Hanes
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 10:43:51 PM »

FYI the name of the book and the movie is Whale Music and sadly the actor, who won the Canadian equivilent of an oscar (i know, i know apples and oranges) for his protrayal of the Brian-esque character, passed away a couple years ago.

I also would like to clear up what this thread is about.
I believed, or I would not have participated, that it was about "what if Mike would have quit?".  Not about Mike Love's relative importance or talent or whatever else we're now screwing around with.
Brian may have simply run off with Danny Hutton and Van Dyke Parks.  Though in truth Murry probably would have kept that from happening.
Mike's contribution to the Beach Boys and their sound is huge! I, we. they have never given Mike his full credit so many, many times, but this thread is a what if?, not a my dads bigger'n yours, or the "fan" version of that pissin' contest.
Or have I missed the point?

The Right Reverend, Left Leaning Bob, Dumb Angel Chapel, Church of the Harmonic Over-dub
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 06:21:39 AM »

"...what if Mike would have quit?".  Not about Mike Love's relative importance or talent or whatever else"

Surely that's why the debate over Mike's latter day (okay, late 60s and onwards) is relevant.

However, to go over what I posted:

a) A key point: for continued artistic success they would need a relatively clean Dennis and Brian and an Al who fell off the fence on the side of his California folkie type songs instead of the summery fun stuff.

b)   Also needed: a more pro-active manager with some sense of the band's artistic as opposed to financial worth.

c)  I believe I stated that Mike would probably have carried on touring doing the hits the band is known for and, had he quit at that time, probably  have become more involved in turning out his own stuff.  Okay, I just added that last bit, but I think that's what he would've done.  He probably had more cred in the business and with fans at the time.

d) As a touring entity, well Dennis, Carl and Blondie could qyuite easily have fronted the group.

Or e) it would have all fallen to pieces a lot earlier.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 07:34:10 AM »

The band members could have taken turns at Mikes vocal parts.  Al doing some, Dennis doing some, Carl and Blondie doing others.  And to listen to the 21st century Brian doing Mikes parts, I wonder if Mike was EVER needed.

And I think with Mike out of the way there would have been more room for Dennis, literally and figuratively.

Lets hire Superman to fly around the world at super speed and reverse time to 1965. Then he can fly Mike to the fortress of solitude for safe keeping for the next 50 years.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 08:14:59 AM »

The band members could have taken turns at Mikes vocal parts.  Al doing some, Dennis doing some, Carl and Blondie doing others.  And to listen to the 21st century Brian doing Mikes parts, I wonder if Mike was EVER needed.

Really, the same could be said for any of them, including Brian, couldn't it?  In fact after 1967, Brian's glory days were done as much as Mike's were, they got along fine with increasingly less Brian, and I don't see how they wouldn't have gotten along fine, differently but fine, without Mike just as they did/have without Brian and Dennis. 

They may not have had their later day bigger hit, Kokomo, but still they would have been fine with everything else being pretty much the same since it was mostly driven by others than/besides Mike or consensus [assuming the group survived the vocal deficit in the blend but they survived the loss of Brian from the blend so I don't see that as proposition killer either].
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 04:15:09 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Woodie Boogie
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 10:12:09 AM »

FYI the name of the book and the movie is Whale Music and sadly the actor, who won the Canadian equivilent of an oscar (i know, i know apples and oranges) for his protrayal of the Brian-esque character, passed away a couple years ago.

Not terribly important, but if the actor you're referring to is Maury Chaykin, who played Desmond Howl, then he's very much alive (It's probably very important to Maury, of course) and working.
Bob Hanes
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2005, 03:39:16 PM »

OOPS!
I now recognize the man's name and I'm sure I read an obit, but I am also very happy to hear he is well and doing fine.  My apologies for hurrying Maury off this mortal coil.

The Right Reverend, Left Leaning Bob, Dumb Angel Chapel, Church of the Harmonic Over-dub
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 10:22:18 PM »

I think Mike's voice played a very important part in the overall Beach Boys sound.  Despite all the unpleasantness between him and other band members, I can't imagine the group without him. 

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2006, 11:21:09 AM »

Brian finishes Smile.
Sends tapes to McCartney, who plays them to Lennon.
Beatles cease recording of SPLHCB. There's no point, is there?
Peppery Pepper released by George & Ringo instead.
BW, it is rumored,  sits in on the remade ADITL.
(He's the one making the chomped-on veggies sound effect in the kazoo-orchestra climax)
Etc.
Jason
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006, 11:30:06 AM »

Brian finishes Smile.
(He's the one making the chomped-on veggies sound effect in the kazoo-orchestra climax)
Etc.

Great first post!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 05:31:25 AM »

Brian finishes Smile.
Etc.

Aaaaaaaaaah

Alternate universes make me really unsettled

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2006, 06:08:03 AM »

Well, there were a few shows in the 90s where Mike was on "meditation" and Al took over Mike's vocals. From what I've heard, most people said that this were the best Beach Boys-shows they had seen in a long time. Also, listening to "Live in Vegas", I agree that Al's voice probably fits better on songs like "Shut Down", etc.
I don't know what would have happened in the 70s, but without Mike the Beach Boys would make a better impression on me in the 90s and 2000s, since there ould be no 60-plus-guy who dances terribly around, doing his chicken-thing and trying to flirt with the teenage girls in the audience....
BTW, do you think Dennis would have married Shawn, if Mike wasn't in the band anymore?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx