gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 05:50:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is That’s Why God Made the Radio (the album) among their very best?!  (Read 11995 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »

I say: YES!

The new album is definitely “mellow”!

So, I’ve been obsessively listening to TWGMTR.  Have to admit, for the first 2 spins, I was wondering, what is going on?  But after spin 3, I was totally hooked, and I’ve not played any other CDs for the past 3 weeks.  (I’ve not had any time for Neil’s new one or the remaster of RAM.)  Every morning when I wake up, there is a different TWGMTR tune in my head.  (Today it was “Strange World”.)  I won’t go all insane and say that the album is their best ever.   But to me it sits quite nicely along with their best.

I love the arc of the album, how it starts with an almost a cappella piece that they do so well, followed by the title track.  It proceeds through several sunny, light songs.  People have criticized “Spring Vacation” or “Beaches in Mind” as being “fluff” but they are meant as light, sunny songs, perfect for what they are. And when it comes to those final 4 songs, well we are into some serious business.

Strange World / From There to Back Again / PCH / Summer’s Gone

I simply cannot say how gorgeous and amazing these 4 tracks are, and what a remarkable ending they provide, similar to an Abbey Road suite, but, of course, much more serious and beautiful.  FTTBA could easily sit on Pet Sounds, with its low, loping guitar fills and snare fills instead of a constant beat.

“You’ve been thinking about some things we used to do
Thinking ‘bout when life was still in front of you.”

Well, golly!

I love how the BB’s are all close to or over 70, and how some of these songs deal with looking at one’s life, retrospectively.  That alone makes this album special.

To me, they didn’t get a single thing wrong with this album.  Drop-dead gorgeous in every way.

Definitely, to me, among the best of an already-stunning catalog.

-- David S.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

I whole heartedly agree with you! Too many of their early albums contained what can only be seen as annoy filler at times (Shut Down Vol. 2!), while TWGMTR, in my mind, doesn't feature any of the intentional sort. SV and BIM are two very enjoyable tracks, and who said it's all about the lyrics? We enjoy I Get Around don't we, and you could hardly call those lyrics a work of art.

Also, as you said, the closing suite is pure perfection, although sometimes I find SG drags on a bit - the other three are undeniably perfect though!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
theCOD
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »

With the exception of Love You, I think it's their best album since Friends. Definitely in my top 5. I still can't believe how great it turned out.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »

I think the album has some solid moments, but with stuff such as Spring Vacation or Beaches In Mind (and even Bill And Sue, which is very meh..aaand Strange World doesn't do much to me), all the terrible effects on the vocals and the VERY FLAT production, plus all the guest singers taking a huge spot (Jeff Foskett on the chorus of Shelter, ect) i can't really say it's among their best stuff... but honestly, if you change the tracklist and give it a better sound, i would definitely agree tho that it's one of their best stuff.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:13:30 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

I think the album has some solid moments, but with stuff such as Spring Vacation or Beaches In Mind (and even Bill And Sue, which is very meh), all the terrible effects on the vocals and the VERY FLAT production, i can't really say it's among their best stuff... but honestly, if you change the tracklist and give it a better sound, i would definitely agree tho that it's one of their best stuff.

I think the production is a little inconsistent, but I don't hear the *very flat* that you do.  Mostly on FTTBA, the drum/bass combo sounds so good. Even the bass on the title track sorta pops out of the speakers, i'm diggin it. Actually i'd say overall the bass sounds on this album are quite good.  Even shelter starts out with that same muddle production of please let me wonder lol
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »

I'd say it would be in my top half if I rated them. I don't know if I'd say "very best" but it's pretty damn good!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »

Except for maybe Surfin' Safari and M.I.U. Album I definitely prefer all of their 60s and 70s work over TWGMTR. That said, still a very good record with some incredible high points.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »

Well, some songs sounds better than the others, but even then they had to add some terrible effects (talking about FTTBA, and even Summer's Gone! song is incredible, production sounds just good with the song, but no they had to do something with the voice..)

And some performances are meh, Brian sometimes sounds sleepy, and the effects doesn't really help (anyone in the band actually) to sound better.. i mean listening to his solo stuff, he sounds far better! so i guess i can blame Joe Thomas here for that, tho i'm not a h8t3er, since i don't even know the guy.

But in general yeah, i maintain that the production is far too flat, that really is the key word for me i believe, even on the worst songs such as Spring Vacation, without all the terrible effects it could decent much better, and Beaches In Mind is also a good example, i don't think the song could get anywhere better cause it's just poor, but that clean production definitely doesn't help, also Bill And Sue, i don't even hate the song, it just doesn't do much for me.. but man, everytime i hear the intro i think it hear some ringtone or some tv spot music, that's how flat it sounds to my ears.. it's like if they added some MR. Clean product on all the record, there's just no... colors, you can hear the feelings, but really.

Look, as beautiful as Think About The Days is, it couldn't sound more cheesier.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »

Yeah, it is interesting to note that if the production values were different, it might be regarded even higher than it already is.

However, while also a great album, That Lucky Old Sun isn't any better on a production/sound quality basis. I guess Gershwin is the closest we can get to a natural sound...but even then.

One thing I really like about Summer's Gone is that it is mixed much wider than the rest of the album. I would love to see a BW/BB album with a wide stereo mix. And also, one where the kick drum isn't too loud - I hear that in a lot of modern music, and especially with the title track on TWGMTR. I shouldn't be able to hear the kickdrum louder than the snare - and it shouldn't sound so flat and dead!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »

Tracklist also seems to be an issue, which is a shame cause it was just Capitol who had the final word... if they did let the band do as they wish, there would have been Waves Of Love somewhere at there, and in the best case scenario, it would have been out there instead of a not-so-great-song such as Spring Vacation.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »

plus all the guest singers taking a huge spot (Jeff Foskett on the chorus of Shelter, ect)
ALL the guest singers? Aside from Daybreak Over the Ocean, Jeff is the only non-Beach Boy to sing on any of the tracks. what are you talking about?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Tracklist also seems to be an issue, which is a shame cause it was just Capitol who had the final word... if they did let the band do as they wish, there would have been Waves Of Love somewhere at there, and in the best case scenario, it would have been out there instead of a not-so-great-song such as Spring Vacation.
"Spring Vacation" is the necessary (/generic) fun-in-the-sun tune on the new LP... Mike would have made sure it finds its way onto the album in any case. N'est-ce pas?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »

Also, Spring Vacation is my favorite song on the album. I would love the album a lot less if that song were not on there.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »

plus all the guest singers taking a huge spot (Jeff Foskett on the chorus of Shelter, ect)
ALL the guest singers? Aside from Daybreak Over the Ocean, Jeff is the only non-Beach Boy to sing on any of the tracks. what are you talking about?

Hell i don't know, i don't own the cd, so i can't check the credits.

But i know there's at least Christian Love on it, so i guess there's a bunch of other guests from Brian's band or whatsoever helping on the background vocals, ect.

"Spring Vacation" is the necessary (/generic) fun-in-the-sun tune on the new LP... Mike would have made sure it finds its way onto the album in any case. N'est-ce pas?

Is it necessary, at that point? i think songs such as Waves Of Love, That's Why God Made The Radio, Isn't It Time, are great upbeat and catchy songs, without going into the cliché stuff and all (well, some of them does goes into the cliché, but not as far as Spring Vacation or Beaches In Mind does, and it was proven that it isn't really what the people in general seem to want from the band).

Also, Spring Vacation is my favorite song on the album. I would love the album a lot less if that song were not on there.

Well, that's pretty sad.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:07:18 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »

Well hell, i don't know, i don't own the cd, so i can't check the credits.

But i know there's at least Christian Love on it, so i guess there's a bunch of other guests from Brian's band or whatsoever helping on the background vocals, ect.

First of all, "ect", doesn't mean anything. the abbreviation for "et cetera" is "etc".

And you don't need to read the liner notes (which have been posted on this board multiple times), I just told you. Christian (and Adrian Baker) are on Daybreak Over the Ocean, on the other tracks, it's just Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Jeff.

Well, that's pretty sad.

well, you're a jerk.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:46 PM »

lolololol, serious business man, serious business.

edit:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:18:37 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »

I think the real trick is if this album still holds up several years down the road.  I remember everyone gushing over Imagination when that first came out, but the album didn't exactly age well.  That's Why God Made The Radio is a strong album and is definitely the best album they've put out since the 70's.  Now let's see if it has lasting appeal.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »

Ziggy seriously, you were called out, the least you could do is take it like a man instead of insulting Aegir's taste of songs (I'm also a fan of "Spring Vacation") and proceeding to act like a child.

Seriously, why have so many immature jerks joined the board this year???

---

Anyway, I made a ranking of the albums and I think, for me, TWGMTR sits alongside "LA" and maybe "CATP", so I'd place it in the top half (15), heck maybe even top 10. It's a very good album.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »

Hahhahahaha, holy moly you're right dude, how dare you Ziggy! give pointless opinions and joke around on a board about The Beach Boys?!

This conversation is super important yo, don't dare troll around! military stuff here, bro.

..jeez come on, chill guys, my god.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

Hahhahahaha, holy moly you're right dude, how dare you give pointless opinions and joke around on a board about The Beach Boys! this conversation is super important yo, don't dare troll around! military stuff here, bro.

Jeez, man, chill, or get a life y'know.

Yeah, pretty much figured I'd get a response like that.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »

You're one very smart dude! Wink

The future of this world depends on this conversation (and the people that dares to make a little typo, something like "ect" instead of "etc", go to jail man).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:37:19 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 01:45:26 PM »

Back on topic, I would rate That’s Why God Made The Radio higher than everything post-Holland and place it above Wild Honey and Friends, I like it that much. Like the original poster, I have snippets of different songs from TWGMTR percolating around my head during my waking hours, yes even Beaches In Mind and Daybreak Over The Ocean. Time will obviously be a factor in how well it stands up but for now I am truly grateful for this gift we have been given by the boys.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »

Jesus christ, i can't believe this man.
Paulos
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 01:51:09 PM »

Believe it dude, some peoples opinions and tastes differ to yours, deal with it.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

Believe it dude, some peoples opinions and tastes differ to yours, deal with it.

Well lol, i'm not the one making a big deal out of this, am i? did i call you a jerk? nop, that wasn't me.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx