gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 12:19:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Duophonic Sound (+ 1 Hidden) and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian has been placed in a conservatorship (likely suffering from dementia)  (Read 9269 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2024, 04:39:58 PM »

I think Brian probably wasn't into writing "alone in a room" with Mike, for possibly personal reasons and also because that's wasn't his regular arrangement with all writers. I think he probably wanted to throw in-progress songs at collaborators and have them just add some stuff sometimes.

*But*, I do think it wouldn't have been the worse thing in the world to suck it up and write a few with Mike the way Mike wanted to do it (which, as I've said, would almost surely still have involved Brian bringing some partially-completed compositions to the room; I don't think he would have needed to literally conjure songs up from complete scratch). Or at least try. I honestly don't know how much Mike complained *during* the project about not getting to do it, or if he just saved the complaints for afterward.

It remains an open question as to whether taking a week or something to try to write "alone in the room" with Mike would have made Mike feel a lot better about the project.

As I mentioned before, I didn't want to turn it into another Mike gripe thread. I honestly think his complaint, *on its face* is not 100% invalid. I certainly would like to hear what Brian and Mike could have come up with. I'm not or wasn't convinced they had zero chance to do some good stuff.  That being said, I think the complaint has some subtext that goes beyond literally being perturbed he didn't write alone with Brian. I think that complaint springs from a large series of things he took issue with regarding the reunion. The whole thing went sour, and then a list of grievances began to take shape. Sort of like a couple breaking up and then listing off a bunch of stuff that weren't deal breakers but become part of the list of complaints in the aftermath. "And another thing, we always had to watch the movies HE liked!!!!"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 04:40:59 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2024, 05:31:18 PM »

I had always assumed that "raise a glass to kindness" was a Joe Thomas line

Could be. Still sounds terrible. But it takes not away from my point that Mike just hasn't delivered the goods (regarding lyrics) that would make him the guy you would want to write lyrics for the songs.

As I mentioned before, I didn't want to turn it into another Mike gripe thread. I honestly think his complaint, *on its face* is not 100% invalid. I certainly would like to hear what Brian and Mike could have come up with. I'm not or wasn't convinced they had zero chance to do some good stuff.  That being said, I think the complaint has some subtext that goes beyond literally being perturbed he didn't write alone with Brian. I think that complaint springs from a large series of things he took issue with regarding the reunion. The whole thing went sour, and then a list of grievances began to take shape. Sort of like a couple breaking up and then listing off a bunch of stuff that weren't deal breakers but become part of the list of complaints in the aftermath. "And another thing, we always had to watch the movies HE liked!!!!"

"And you never paid for the drugs. Not once....."

LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chalk n Numbers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2024, 06:32:01 PM »

At that point, Mike turned to her – I know this sounds like an over-the-top bit of corny dialog from a movie or TV show – and said “What am I, chopped liver?”

My late mother who was approximately the same age as ML used to like the. "What is .... ? Chopped liver?" line, too.  I believe it was popular slang when they came of age in the 1950s.  I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it.  Very often the line is uttered ironically, without malice, in a self-deprecating way  Sure, on some level Mike msy have bee slightly resentful of a situation in which he perceived that a Brian-adulating fan was ignoring him but he was very likely just trying to be funny.

Oh, no question, it was a common phrase back in the day; I’m quite familiar with it. Mike’s remark was pure old-fashioned borscht belt humor – like the little digs the two lead characters toss around in The Sunshine Boys. But in my experience that kind of comment, played for laughs on the surface, always has a core of seriousness inside it; in fact, I think you can make the argument that it depends, for its full effect, on that little bit of “edge.” Every time I heard it used, at a family gathering or social function, the speaker was making a point as well as a joke.

It seems to me that you would offer it up only if you were already looking for a slight; it's not as if Mike was being ostentatiously ignored. And I can tell you that while it was obviously a species of witticism, it wasn’t delivered in an especially good-natured way; and nobody within earshot (including Al and David) reacted with a laugh or a smile.

I guess (as those same borscht belt comedians might have said): you had to be there.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2024, 04:37:16 AM »

It seems that the whole reunion thing was rushed. They should have taken more time on the album, allow for more involvement from Mike, Al, Bruce, and David. Instead, what we got was essentially a latter day BW album with Beach Boy vocals on it.
They also should have spent more time rehearsing the new songs, integrating them into the live show.
When was the last time any of the touring bands played TWGMTR songs? It's an album they all seemed to forget about quickly.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2024, 03:51:51 PM »

It seems that the whole reunion thing was rushed. They should have taken more time on the album, allow for more involvement from Mike, Al, Bruce, and David. Instead, what we got was essentially a latter day BW album with Beach Boy vocals on it.
They also should have spent more time rehearsing the new songs, integrating them into the live show.
When was the last time any of the touring bands played TWGMTR songs? It's an album they all seemed to forget about quickly.

In a “normal” scenario where there wasn’t always the fear that the entire thing could fall apart in the blink of an eye, yes, they should have taken more time.

But the reality is that the whole reunion project had a lot of stops and starts even on the accelerated timeline (I don’t think a lot of the backroom stops and starts have even been discussed; it’s beyond just the issues Mike brought up in his book), and if there was no ability to stop and take time. Mike was literally hitting “pause” on his own touring deal to do this, and he didn’t have a ton of time off the road after his 2011 tour dates ended in order to even *record* parts for an album, let alone start *writing* stuff from scratch. Indeed, I think Mike actually did at least one gig with his own “Beach Boys” band in 2012 *before* the reunion tour started.

I think the only way we were even going to get what we did in 2012 was with Joe Thomas and Capitol and the tour apparatus literally *pushing* these guys out the door as quickly as possible to get it done.

I think, given the amount of time they had, they pulled the album off pretty well (it’s not like “Summer in Paradise” or “Still Cruisin’” felt *more* collaborative), and even more so with the tour. They did an excellent job of bridging the gap between Brian and Mike’s band, both in terms of musicians as well as setlist and arrangement choices. And it did evolve as the tour went on; they added more songs and changed more songs up.

Had they continued in 2013, I think the live show could have gotten *even better*. We could have gotten a full “Beach Boys” live version of “Pet Sounds” for instance.

As for TWGMTR tracks on subsequent tours, I believe Mike kept doing “Isn’t It Time” with his own band for some late 2012 dates (and possibly into 2013?), and that was it for Mike. Brian did “That’s Why God Made the Radio” and "Summer's Gone" on his first short tour with Al and Dave in 2013 (they also briefly brought back “Your Imagination!”), but they got dropped from most setlists when they had to shorten his setlist for the 2013 joint Jeff Beck tour (I think "TWGMTR" still made it into a few of the joint Beck shows). And then Brian did “Pacific Coast Highway” and “Summer’s Gone” for that one 2014 gig at the Venetian for PBS.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 03:56:23 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2024, 09:09:03 PM »

As for TWGMTR tracks on subsequent tours, I believe Mike kept doing “Isn’t It Time” with his own band for some late 2012 dates (and possibly into 2013?), and that was it for Mike. Brian did “That’s Why God Made the Radio” and "Summer's Gone" on his first short tour with Al and Dave in 2013 (they also briefly brought back “Your Imagination!”), but they got dropped from most setlists when they had to shorten his setlist for the 2013 joint Jeff Beck tour (I think "TWGMTR" still made it into a few of the joint Beck shows). And then Brian did “Pacific Coast Highway” and “Summer’s Gone” for that one 2014 gig at the Venetian for PBS.

Mike's Beach Boys did "Isn't It Time" sporadically through 2013; I see June and July clips on YouTube. Even back then, let alone today, I thought the context re Mike and TWGMTR made it a really weird choice ("hey, you know that album I keep dissing constantly for some reason? Well, here's the song you want to hear from it!").

Had they continued in 2013, I think the live show could have gotten *even better*. We could have gotten a full “Beach Boys” live version of “Pet Sounds” for instance.

That's a bit poignant and painful to think about, and you're absolutely right.

Tying your last few paragraphs together, I was at the NYC Brian/Jeff Beck show in 2013, when Brian shocked all of us by announcing he and band would play the entire Pet Sounds album. They did, and it was amazing! Now imagine the roof blowing off the place if that had been announced at an **actual full lineup Beach Boys reunion concert**. Damn.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2024, 10:32:19 PM »

Yes a missed step for sure. 2013 could have been built around a ‘Beach Boys Present Pet Sounds Live’ tour similar to Brian and Al’s 2016 tour.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2024, 01:00:56 AM »

The album and tour were outstanding. We were lucky to receive what we got.

The only downside was the lack of a definitive filmed document of a show, but you can’t have everything. In hindsight, I think I choose to draw the curtain of my fandom there.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2024, 02:24:46 PM »

The album and tour were outstanding. We were lucky to receive what we got.

The only downside was the lack of a definitive filmed document of a show, but you can’t have everything. In hindsight, I think I choose to draw the curtain of my fandom there.

Some peculiar stuff went on regarding additional video/film documents of the tour. The Hollywood Bowl show was supposedly shot in *3D* for a prospective theatrical release that never happened. The Red Rocks show was supposedly shot by a full video crew (beyond the normal in-house video stuff).

Then there was that tour documentary/video project that was done through a Kickstarter-like service called "Pledge Music", where a lot of us contributed money only to see the whole thing canceled around a year later (though everybody did get a refund). I recall somebody doing some sleuthing on that project and found that some of the people tied into it had had other legal/business problems.

All of this in addition to many if not most shows on the tour surely being captured by in-house video.

And of course the ideal scenario would be to get the second-to-last date at the Royal Albert Hall on video, as that was the gig where they did a full 61-song setlist featuring every song that had been performed on tour. It's unclear how much of a full-blown pro shoot was done for that, but it was shot in some capacity based on the camera mounts on the mic stands, etc.

Second best scenario would probably be the final night at Wembley, where they did a nearly-complete setlist with around 55 songs, and that one was surely captured as it was put up on the video screens.

Unfortunately, the sync rights to clearing 61 songs for a video release would dictate a Blu-ray of it would probably need to cost $100 (which of course *I'd* gladly pay).

In a pinch, I wouldn't even mind just getting all of whatever gig it was that the used for that 21-song "In Concert" Blu-ray (was it one of the Arizona gigs?).

As it stands now, the longest available pro-shot document of the C50 tour is the Japan gig that was shown on Japanese TV, and even that one only seems to circulate in not-so-great SD despite being shot and broadcast in full HD, and it *still* wasn't the full show.

But it would be nice to get a nice 3-CD "Complete" audio document of the tour at least, and any audio releases from that tour would not be cost prohibitive.

I have to wonder if some of the projects stalling out might have to do with Mike souring on Joe Thomas for whatever reason, because I'm guessing that Joe is a 1/3 business partner in most if not all of the reunion-related projects, including pro-shot videos of gigs.

Ironically, we're at a point in BB history where Mike is probably more enthusiastic about issuing 70s material than more material from 2012.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 02:28:25 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2024, 02:48:11 PM »

Yes a missed step for sure. 2013 could have been built around a ‘Beach Boys Present Pet Sounds Live’ tour similar to Brian and Al’s 2016 tour.

Yeah, that 50th anniversary tour band was, as was put back then, an "embarrassment of riches." Brian's band plus the best from Mike's band.

And I'll always be grateful it happened.

But while it does no good to dwell on it, part of the history of the saga will always be how the greatness of that tour and reunion were pissed away, and we all knew that things would not be in good enough shape for them to try it again TEN years later for a 60th. And sure enough, subsequently, Brian's not in touring shape, and frankly Mike's sounding pretty rough at his gigs. Multiple people from the backing band have passed away, others have left or been let go. Obviously, this is partly just a consequence of time. But it's worth noting that as of the second half of last year, there is essentially *nobody* from that amazing 50th anniversary band currently touring in a band on any sort of regular basis playing BB music. Totten and Cowsill aren't with Mike anymore, and of course Brian isn't touring anymore, so his guys aren't out there. Al sometimes uses Probyn for his gigs, but Al is only doing a gig here and there.

Some sort of "The Brian Wilson Band" with Al fronting it could have worked, and I think still could, but I think even the time for *that* may have passed, if it was ever logistically or financially feasible in the first place.

Thankfully, the excellent archival releases over the last several years have been the deserved focus of the best that the "Beach Boys" brand still has to offer.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2024, 01:15:14 PM »

Not trying to start a Mike thread here, truly, but that article was interesting in that it's fascinating that Mike is still so sour, in fact seemingly *more* sour, on the "That's Why God Made the Radio" album now. I get his gripes, and I don't even disagree with all of them. It would have probably done the project a bit of long-term good to have just placated Mike and had he and Brian write a few tunes "from scratch."

But it's strange to have that specific perspective on that album. It clearly was made the way it was in large part because they didn't have a ton of time to finish it. And it's not as if there aren't other Beach Boys albums with *even fewer* Brian/Mike from-scratch collabs.

It almost feels like Mike is less perturbed that the album ended up with less Brian/Mike from-scratch co-writes, and more upset specifically that he feels like he was promised or strongly led to believe, at some point I guess, that the album would be focused around Brian/Mike co-writes. It's peculiar, because it sure seems like by the time they actual got the record deal, it was clear Capitol was signing them based on the bag of Brian/Joe songs, and also that given the amount of time they had to actually record the album, they would have to use those pre-existing songs as the basis for most of the album.

Again, not trying to inflame or stir the pot. I genuinely find this stuff fascinating, especially in light of things on a number of other fronts being relatively cooled off and amiable between the group members, and in terms of their feelings on individual subjects.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if that's the way he feels.  But considering that the album turned out far better than it had any reason to be and ended the band's recording history on a great note, Mike is probably looking at this the wrong way. 

And I believe things worked out well the way they went.  Following the 50th reunion Brian put out a pretty satisfying solo album with No Pier Pressure and Mike himself became quite prolific putting out several better-than-expected solo albums as well as a Christmas album.  And Al's doing OK continuing to perform and occasionally release a never-ending parade of reworked versions of "Waves Of Love". 

So while the reunion wasn't perfect and ended a little bumpy (which should always be expected with this band), I can't really complain with the way things went.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2024, 03:38:19 PM »

I think that what happened in 2012 is nothing short of a miracle, and we should all be grateful to Joe for having such an important role in that... whatever I, and some other people, may think of his production style.
Sure, it did not end so well, but I agree that it was only to be expected from our sublime but ever dysfunctional Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 03:45:27 PM by Zenobi » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx