gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681179 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 27, 2024, 11:07:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: W i l d H o n e y  (Read 62256 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »

how any Beach Boy fan cannot LOVE "A Thing Or Two" is beyond me. it's whiteboy R&B at its finest, and so damn funky for the Boys at that time. that bassline is the flipping shiz!!!

anything can be psychedelic when you're high maaaaaan, and it WAS 1967 after all.
the album certainly has some psychedelic influence. The title track's theremin and organ solo are trippy as f*ck.
Country Air and Let The Wind Blow have what could be called a psychedelic element.

but mostly, this is the Beach Boys getting back to the garage and their roots. Stripping things down, playing sounds they dig, and sounding like they're having a hell of a lot of fun doing it. Being a "group" again. Guitars, organs, and heaps of Wilson soul.

It's the premiere of Carl 'Mad Dog' Wilson's "scream, bark, and growl" vocal stylings. who knew he could belt it out like THAT?!!! sure, he's straining at times... but what a killer performance overall. The album is kind of like 'Carl & The Passions, vol. 1'. There weren't too many white dudes singing like this at the time, and how many had the balls to cover something like "I Was Made To Love Her"??!!! I guarantee you that NOBODY was expecting the freakin' BEACH BOYS to pull it off.

"I'd Love Just Once To See You" is the first in a number of Brian tunes that are just so quirky and so BRIAN. Totally un-self conscious and uncommercial, but catchy and funny (like Busy Doin Nothin, Games Two Can Play, I Went To Sleep, etc). These songs also reveal Brian's increasing tendency to withdraw and stay at home, but the fact that he stopped caring so much about writing hits and just wrote whatever the hell he felt like shows real growth and freedom as an artist. There's a cozy contentment in those tunes.

I am crazy about this album... especially Aren't You Glad, A Thing or Two, ILJOTSY, and Here Comes The Night.

I agree that Can't Wait Too Long would have made a much better album closer. Mama Says should have been on Smiley Smile (or SMiLE) where it belonged... as part of Vegetables.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:45:46 PM by bossaroo » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »

And Wild Honey charted higher than Smiley Smile.
Back in the, um, day, uh, Wild Honey, the single, survived airplay for about 3 weeks. Darlin, on the other hand, lived a more fruitful life on the airwaves. It was encouraging to see them "back".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »

Wild Honey is my all time all place BB lp. I can listen to it in all moods and circumstances. There are just so many Brian/Mike tunes that exceed the norm, even for The Beach Boys. Every band should have one album where the just wail like the BBs do on this Album....another album with subtleties that you don`t hear until you deconstruct them.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
ghost
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:04 PM »

It's the premiere of Carl 'Mad Dog' Wilson's "scream, bark, and growl" vocal stylings. who knew he could belt it out like THAT?!!! sure, he's straining at times... but what a killer performance overall. The album is kind of like 'Carl & The Passions, vol. 1'. There weren't too many white dudes singing like this at the time, and how many had the balls to cover something like "I Was Made To Love Her"??!!! I guarantee you that NOBODY was expecting the freakin' BEACH BOYS to pull it off.

Yeahh!!!

I prefer their version. Especially since it's practically impossible to hear Stevie's version in mono anymore... who wants to hear that piece of sh*t stereo mix at ANY time? Give me the psychedelic Beach Boys version any day.

Paulos
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2011, 11:38:49 PM »

how any Beach Boy fan cannot LOVE "A Thing Or Two" is beyond me. it's whiteboy R&B at its finest, and so damn funky for the Boys at that time. that bassline is the flipping shiz!!!

anything can be psychedelic when you're high maaaaaan, and it WAS 1967 after all.
the album certainly has some psychedelic influence. The title track's theremin and organ solo are trippy as f*ck.
Country Air and Let The Wind Blow have what could be called a psychedelic element.

but mostly, this is the Beach Boys getting back to the garage and their roots. Stripping things down, playing sounds they dig, and sounding like they're having a hell of a lot of fun doing it. Being a "group" again. Guitars, organs, and heaps of Wilson soul.

"I'd Love Just Once To See You" is the first in a number of Brian tunes that are just so quirky and so BRIAN. Totally un-self conscious and uncommercial, but catchy and funny (like Busy Doin Nothin, Games Two Can Play, I Went To Sleep, etc). These songs also reveal Brian's increasing tendency to withdraw and stay at home, but the fact that he stopped caring so much about writing hits and just wrote whatever the hell he felt like shows real growth and freedom as an artist. There's a cozy contentment in those tunes.

I am crazy about this album... especially Aren't You Glad, A Thing or Two, ILJOTSY, and Here Comes The Night.

I agree that Can't Wait Too Long would have made a much better album closer. Mama Says should have been on Smiley Smile (or SMiLE) where it belonged... as part of Vegetables.

I just can't get into it dude, I have tried and tried but the album, and the highlighted song in particular, just annoy me. Also, what I am going to term the 'all pervading, clanging kinda-out-of-tune piano sound' really gets to me! I'm not trying to be different or controversial here, this is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:55:57 PM by Paulos » Logged
MBE
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »

Wild Honey is my all time all place BB lp. I can listen to it in all moods and circumstances. There are just so many Brian/Mike tunes that exceed the norm, even for The Beach Boys. Every band should have one album where the just wail like the BBs do on this Album....another album with subtleties that you don`t hear until you deconstruct them.
Wow Peter that really was spot on!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »

Surf's Up has such abominations as Student Demonstration Time and Lookin' At Tomorrow

Just so it happens those are my favorite tunes on that album along with A Day In The Life Of A Tree...

Back to WH: The start of How She Boogalooed It sounds weird, like the tape started slow during mixdown. Anyone know anything about that?

And a grand piano would have been better for the overall sound, IMHO too.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »

Surf's Up has such abominations as Student Demonstration Time and Lookin' At Tomorrow

Just so it happens those are my favorite tunes on that album along with A Day In The Life Of A Tree...

Back to WH: The start of How She Boogalooed It sounds weird, like the tape started slow during mixdown. Anyone know anything about that?

You... like... Student Demonstration Time?  Huh
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:10 AM »

You... like... Student Demonstration Time?  Huh

Well... let's say I dislike it less than the rest of the album. After the schmaltzy Disney Girls it sounds pleasantly edgy. I know a lot of people hate it, but maybe you can teach me why I should dislike it?

MBE
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2011, 02:41:23 AM »

I like Sdt too. The lyrics are bad, but Mike sings them with a lot of real fire. Add Dennis' hardest playing ever, and for me it's fine as it was of its era.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:23 AM »

I might like Wild Honey better if it were in stereo
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2011, 03:07:42 AM »

Question: does anyone know what in the world is going on in the first four bars of the organ solo on the title track? How was this sound achieved? It sounds as if the organ is threatening to self destruct itself by implosion. Then Bruce just casually knocks off the best solo of his life.

Wild Honey is glorious.

Oh, that's just Bruce blowing your mind sky high. Rumor has it he had a J dangling from his lips while playing that trippy little number.
Bruce didn't take drugs. This has been firmly established.
I like Sdt too. The lyrics are bad, but Mike sings them with a lot of real fire. Add Dennis' hardest playing ever, and for me it's fine as it was of its era.
To Hell with the lyrics, STD rocks!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:10:00 AM by Clark W. Griswold » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2011, 03:31:06 AM »

I might like Wild Honey better if it were in stereo

...agree. WH is, to put it mildly, under-produced. It is in poor mono and the sound is out of balance all the way through. Mono in itself can be awesome, think old Motown; pure, punchy pop. But WH doesn't come near that by a couple of lightyears. In WH's title track, it is as if Carl and that, um, geriatric organ are striving way too hard to claim the forefront, without really succeeding. The bongos sound even more out of breath, and telephoned from Mars or something like that.

But there's fine material on it. All in all, a missed opportunity.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ghost
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:56 AM »

I just can't get into it dude, I have tried and tried but the album, and the highlighted song in particular, just annoy me. Also, what I am going to term the 'all pervading, clanging kinda-out-of-tune piano sound'really gets to me! I'm not trying to be different or controversial here, this is just my opinion.

The piano MAKES the album, man!!!

And what is with all the hate on Carl? Doesn't anyone hear these songs and feel joy? Why do we have to put everything down? Oh Carl's vocal on Wild Honey, totally strained. What a loser. What was he, 15? Trying to outdo those black guys? Yeah right. Carl you chubby little bastard, should've stayed home that day.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »

I just can't get into it dude, I have tried and tried but the album, and the highlighted song in particular, just annoy me. Also, what I am going to term the 'all pervading, clanging kinda-out-of-tune piano sound' really gets to me! I'm not trying to be different or controversial here, this is just my opinion.
I'd like to know how to get the Smile/Wild Honey sound on a piano. It's pretty much the best instrument the Boy Beaches have second to their own voices.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2011, 09:23:47 AM »

I guarantee you that NOBODY was expecting the freakin' BEACH BOYS to pull it off.

Umm....he is no longer with us.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ghost
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »

The Little Girl I Once Knew about 1:35mins in - foreshadowing Darlin a few years later. Dig it? When the song gets REALLY cool - it peaks into Wild Honey psychedelia. Dig? Jon, you out there?

aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »

It's the premiere of Carl 'Mad Dog' Wilson's "scream, bark, and growl" vocal stylings. who knew he could belt it out like THAT?!!! sure, he's straining at times... but what a killer performance overall. [...]how many had the balls to cover something like "I Was Made To Love Her"??!!! I guarantee you that NOBODY was expecting the freakin' BEACH BOYS to pull it off.

I so agree. Although, I have to say love the extended version from Rarities with the extra harmony acapella, a Lil something extra for an extraordinary cover such as this one!
ghost
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

Brian Wilson said he was going for the white spiritual sound. By the way, have you noticed how we all strangely refer to him like this many times? We all know who "Brian" usually stands for round here yet continue to say Wilson. Anyway - Brian wanted to start a race war after hearing Helter Skelter so he released I Wasn't Made To Love Her to show the blacks who's best.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »

ghost. you are a little off your rocker, but you are one funny motherfucker! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »

I was watching High Fidelity last night, great Movie with John Cusack and Jack Black..

In one scene the Wild Honey album cover makes an appearance, along with Endless Summer I think..

Nice to see Wild Honey getting some love in a major movie 

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2011, 06:45:26 PM »

Brian Wilson said he was going for the white spiritual sound. By the way, have you noticed how we all strangely refer to him like this many times? We all know who "Brian" usually stands for round here yet continue to say Wilson. Anyway - Brian wanted to start a race war after hearing Helter Skelter so he released I Wasn't Made To Love Her to show the blacks who's best.

Nice theory, but I believe that I Wasn't Made to Love Her came out before Helter Skelter.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
ghost
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »

Nice theory, but I believe that I Wasn't Made to Love Her came out before Helter Skelter.

Nice theory, but time does not exist.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »

Nice theory, but time does not exist.

Hmmm....thus the song Cease to Exist?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2011, 08:11:18 AM »

And what is with all the hate on Carl? Doesn't anyone hear these songs and feel joy? Why do we have to put everything down? Oh Carl's vocal on Wild Honey, totally strained. What a loser. What was he, 15? Trying to outdo those black guys? Yeah right. Carl you chubby little bastard, should've stayed home that day.

Huh I didn't read that much negativity towards Carl on this thread. They all sing as good as always. Well, better if you count in the period from 1976 on!  Evil

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx