gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680889 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 05:00:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AP segment with new interviews & a snippet of a NEW SONG off the new album!!!!  (Read 43301 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »

That's truly horrible. Even allowing for the obviously bad vocals, that backing track sounds like the Lighthouse Family or Simply Red or some similar mid-90s pseudo-soul, and the lyrics are awful.
It's a good job the live shows are sounding so good, because the studio part of the reunion isn't looking great so far... though of course I don't want to judge the album until it actually comes out...

Seriously, I don't think we should be worrying about the quality of the album yet. That may have been a rough thing they were singing over. Who knows? Let's wait until we hear the whole thing. I'm not expecting the extension of Pet Sounds or Sunflower, however I think there will be at least a few new classic Beach Boys songs, and we will have their best album since L.A. (Light Album).
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »

The backing track seems alright, the get up part is interesting. We'll see what we get  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

Their endorsement deal with Gibson must have specified that they would use Gibson guitars in rehearsal only.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »

And after more time to think about, can Mike write a lyric that DOESN'T refer to one of their older songs?

Exactly.  Sigh. Undecided

nope.

On the other hand, I guess Mike is just proudly carrying on a Beach Boys tradition of quoting old songs since at least the mid-70s...more than half their existence.   And it's still cheesy.

1968, if one counts Do It Again's reference to "California girls". So maybe it is time for folks to get over the whole thing. It is part of the band's trip.

Yes, and how many artistically viable songs did they make where Mike quoted from other songs? Probably one. Or actually, even listenable songs for that matter?

Apparently for years Mike has wanted to reunite with Brian so they could write new songs..about old songs.

Of course it's much too early to judge the album, but I'm less optimistic than I was 2 days ago.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »

we will have their best album since L.A. (Light Album).

How about showing some love for this one:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »

This is how much I love the Beach Boys, I thought it sounded pretty nice..

It's obviously "Think about the days"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »

This is an album that features a tune called Spring Vacation. Did anyone honestly think were were going to avoid at least a handful of tracks like this?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »

lyrics don't really bother me, it's the music that sounded questionable to me here
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »

We'll see. I hear a lot of organ and then some grotty vocals. Who knows what the final product will be like. Hopefully good, but we'll see!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »

Kinda sounds like an R. Kelly song haha

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »

somehow, that song reminds me of the Flaming Lips.

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

Every album has some filler in it.  If this album has 3 or 4 great songs, I won't mind some trips down memory lane.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »

somehow, that song reminds me of the Flaming Lips.

Wow. I hear it. Good call. It first struck me as 80s "rock," but after listening to it again, especially the arrangement (I know, it's 10 seconds long) I am kinda intrigued.
Nicko1234
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »

Not sure what possessed them to let somebody film that. Everything about it sounds awful. It`s far too early to judge the album or even that song yet but it is unfortunate that Mike feels compelled to write these kind of lyrics when working as a Beach Boy as he`s proved with First Love, Celebration and Make Love Not War that he can write some good songs when he forgets about the formula. I guess it`s understandable if he feels that`s what the public wants though. All of the commercial success during the wilderness period was with nostalgic stuff...
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

y'know, that clip DOES sound like it's about segue into a nice chorus. hopefully it delivers.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »

I love the WTF look Brian gives Mike as he sings that line from Baby You're A Rich Man  LOL

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »

It could be that they sing that, making fun of each other like Cassius Clay Vs. Sonny Liston or whatever that was called.

Probably not. 

But... making decisions on the quality of the album because you heard a staged 10 second clip on youtube.... probably makes just as much sense logically as what I supposed. 
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »

I'm going to base it off the backing track and say its imagination 2 featuring the beach boys.
Which I liked :D

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »

At this point, I'm expecting an album along the lines of "MIU" / "Keepin' the Summer Alive" with a kind of modern/digital/"Imagination" production vibe.  And I'm cool with that ... I mean, it's the Beach Boys and that's totally beyond any expectations I might have had prior to this reunion announcement.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2012, 09:37:59 PM »

But... making decisions on the quality of the album because you heard a staged 10 second clip on youtube.... probably makes just as much sense logically as what I supposed.

EXACTLY.  A few damn seconds...I mean, really?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

EXACTLY.  A few damn seconds...I mean, really?!

I wish there were more of that exact same sentiment across this board when people were judging the quality of the reunion tour based on the vocal mixes heard at the Grammys and Dodger Stadium.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »

From what I heard of the actual live mix (as opposed to the TV mix), I liked what I heard of the Grammy performance. The Dodger stadium deal, well that was at a ball game so it was no biggie. Hyped as hell for 8 June at the Woodlands Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »

Just watched the new song part again..  Brian & Mike look & sound like two guys trying a song at a karaoke  Roll Eyes

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »

Wow, that new song snippet really does sound pretty appalling. Oh dear!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »

What's appalling about it? It's a 10 second, unprocessed, non-take. Listen past Mike & Brian and there's a pretty cool track being played.

Or is it because you expecting something other than complete cheese from a Mike Love lyric?

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx