gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 09:17:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 128768 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »

(PS - There is a board moderator editing my posts.  Probably Mike Love)

Who is moderating your posts? Isn't me...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

http://www.nme.com/news/the-beach-boys/66208

!!!!!!
Apologize if this was posted before. New to me.
MBE
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »

Again this is much ado about nothing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »

I don't like to Mike bash, but it's things like this that make it too easy (and with valid reason). On this tour, Mike seemed geniunely happy to be with his fellow Beach Boys, and made a lot of us think of him in a different light. If he didn't want to cheapen the name, he wouldn't go out AT ALL. He probably does make a bigger percentage going out in the M&B configuration, and I do understand he has somewhat of a duty to his son and his 'other' band.....but damn.

On a musical level....He praised Pet Sounds (and to some degree) SMiLE. It's hard to pinpoint, but I think maybe he can't see beyond the audience reception to the hits. They are all positive, the reaction he gets from them is positive, he's Mr. Positivity! If he's all about the fame and/or money, shouldn't he see that Pet Sounds is rated #2 on the all time albums list, and that it's the most well known and influential Beach Boys album? Does he honestly not see that we want, crave, need more of that? There is room for both, but an all Wilson-Love album surely won't have anything like the suite on it, not at this rate.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »

This "Brian is bummed" is a joke. Brian's probably mentally and physically exhausted and is looking forward to nothing more than a recliner for a few months. If Brian wants to resume touring with The Beach Boys, he/they will. If Brian wants to record another album with The Beach Boys, he/they will.

i think you might have a point there. Brian could be bummed because the tour will be over soon and he enjoyed it so much. It doesn't mean he's bummed that Mike & Bruce go out soon on their own again. In fact it was clear from the very beginning that there would be more shows of Mike & Bruce. Brian's a sentimental kid of guy so that might be what's going on with him.

Exactly. Brian doesn't think before he gives answers to questions. He gives programmed answers. Brian, like the rest of the guys, have been bending over backwards to be positive. It was reinforced in him before the reunion began. So, when he's asked how he feels about the tour coming to end, he says he's "bummed" - which is actually being nice and complimentary. That's another way of saying that he enjoyed himself. He coulda said, "I enjoyed the tour, but I'm tired, my back is killing me, I'm tired of singing "Sail On Sailor", and I just wanna go home and sleep for a few months..." Do you really think he wants this tour to continue? Really?
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »

All along we have known that this will be a one off tour and there have been many references recently about Mike and Bruce going off on their own. Unless that changed behind the scenes why is this now a problem and why are Brian's PR people trying to stir things up? I just don't get it. This tour has been successful because of the nature of it, Mike does have a point and although I'd love to see them again, I think for their legacy they must leave it here. Maybe Mike's promoters comment has something to do with the very strict VIP packages which left them feeling like they had no control? I don't know. But I still don't get why these tweets and Facebook messages are being put up.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »

This "Brian is bummed" is a joke. Brian's probably mentally and physically exhausted and is looking forward to nothing more than a recliner for a few months. If Brian wants to resume touring with The Beach Boys, he/they will. If Brian wants to record another album with The Beach Boys, he/they will.

It's a quote taken out of context...I have a strong feeling about it. I think Mike's statement about not wanting to oversaturate the market with reunion shows was kind of hinting at the truth. People think it's done... then a surprise new tour happens this time next year (or early 2014 more likely) to support a surprise new album and people turn out in droves because it is so 'unexpected'. I wouldn't be surprised if after the Q&A, Mike told Brian not to let the cat out of the bag. This is all a ruse.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

It's a quote taken out of context...I have a strong feeling about it. I think Mike's statement about not wanting to oversaturate the market with reunion shows was kind of hinting at the truth. People think it's done... then a surprise new tour happens this time next year (or early 2014 more likely) to support a surprise new album and people turn out in droves because it is so 'unexpected'. I wouldn't be surprised if after the Q&A, Mike told Brian not to let the cat out of the bag. This is all a ruse.
Exactly. It's how they handled this tour and LP. If they work together again that will be great, if not I am just glad they did something of such high quality. The truth is that we are more likely to see something done with them together again now because this went so well.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »

I'm not sure what to make of Mike's comments.  He has a valid point about overexposure but then here he is going out on the road almost immediately with Bruce with The Beach Boys "banner" next month.  If he was SERIOUSLY worried about having too much attention---why stay in the game?  Him saying that promoters said to "give it a rest for a year" is probably him putting the blame on someone else.  It seems to me that it is he himself who wants the break for a year.  He wants to go back to the tour/band/life that he knows so well.  There is no doubt Mike enjoyed the last few months but it looks like he's gotten used to being the full time parent of The Beach Boys' name instead of having a few other people come in and share it with him.

I gotta wonder if maybe Mike wasn't that happy with TWGMTR. He's only the lead singer on a third of the album, and the lyrics (besides "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind") aren't exactly Mike Love fun-in-the-sun type fare. Even though I think Mike has grown up a bit and became a little wiser over time, I really don't think he sees any point in The Beach Boys besides the '62 to '65  hits and "Kokomo".

You're probably right.  To me, all I needed to hear on what Mike thought of the album when he said a while back that when he wrote the new songs for the album...he wrote songs that didnt sound like they were written in a "hospice"--a sly reference to the Life suite on the end of TWGMTR.  For a guy who likes to keep things upbeat and remian "Mr. Positive" I can see how songs about summers and friends being gone is not on his priority list.  He probably wants to specifically write more songs with Brian so he has a say on what type of songs are written.  Mike didn't oversee the Life suite since they were cowrtitten with Joe Thomas, now I think Mike wants to take a little bit more control.  Before he does, it seems he just wants a little break from all this.

And I wouldn't be so big on this if it wasn't for that quote by Brian's manager that he is bummed. Why would Mike not want to keep Brian with the group?

Right.  I don't get it either.  I'd hope that Mike is aware of Brian's feelings and it is with a heavy heart that he must tell his cousin to hold off on anymore plans until after the new year.  I hope Mike holds to his promise and Brian is still interested in more BB work in 2013.

If I had to guess, based on seeing the Touring Band since they evolved post the tragic loss of Carl, I would guess that they were booking two years out.  That kind of demand was likely a result of lots of work building a band with two members to make it work, and build out from.  Each year the Touring Band got better and better and on their own.  Brian built a band, as well as Al.  They are all fabulous and indisputable crowd pleasers.  

Everyone wants to know...What happens next?  I bet Brian is bummed.  He seemed to get into the whole scene more with each performance, and that was a man in profound pain.   Now, maybe that is on the mend.  A back takes lots of time to recover and rehab.  The long view is the most prudent.  He can enjoy being in less discomfort and not have to be guarded about every step he takes or any twisting motion that might put him in pain.  

What is wrong with fulfilling commitments, and working independently with the big picture still in view?  And, absolutely, "oversaturation" of a market, which is struggling is always an issue.  Nothing wrong with prudence.   Those less well known market areas, like local theaters are waiting for them to return.  If one is not sitting  at the table, speculation can be ridiculous.  They are all adults and can figure this out.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:49:33 PM by filledeplage » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »

D) He's addicted to the "side benefits" of being a rock star on the road,

What might these "side benefits" be?  LOL
I found out first hand.  But not wanting to get sued, ................

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »

It IS being taken out of context. That's what I was trying to explain in my above post.

I cannot believe some of the things I am reading, that Mike PREFERS to tour as Mike & Bruce. In some minor ways, yes, it might be preferable for him. But, I will continue to beat this drum.

Look at the people we're talking about here - Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and Brian Wilson. I'm thinkin' 'bout this whole world...In the whole world, who are the biggest fans of Brian Wilson? Mike Love and Bruce Johnston. In the whole world, who would love the most to tour with Brian Wilson? Jeff Foskett. Razz

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »

Brian's people opting to post this article feels kind of spiteful, and it's far from the first time they've seemingly acted that way.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »

(PS - There is a board moderator editing my posts.  Probably Mike Love)

My original post said ML was a "Dic..head" and it was automatically changed to "is a skull of Dick Reising."  Guess that's something automatic on here?Huh Thought is was done by somebody. It wasn't - Sorry, my bad!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:55:44 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »

I'll repeat a question that has been raised by one or two others:

If this is all much ado about nothing, why are Brian's 'people' publicising articles that talk of the reunion ending on a 'sour note'?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »

In addition to my earlier post, I hope this 'issue' or the the fact this is being made public doesn't spoil the UK gigs. I would hate to see a band at war and the fans split between the Love and Wilson camps again. That's why I don't get the timing of this press release.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »

On the other hand, maybe open warfare and gangland-style slayings would boost the press and BO.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »

Bruce seems much more unlikeable than Mike. Mike comes across as misunderstood and genuinely out of touch

Bruce, I get an unpleasant vibe off him, I imagine he's incredibly two faced

Met Bruce (very nice to me), David (very nice to me), Al (very nice to me), next to Brian (he looked exhausted and was trying to sleep, probably the back).
Mike Love (a jerk, not misunderstood in the least.  That's the dude!  His reputation is well deserved!)

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2012, 03:03:23 PM »

Interesting quote in the billboard article. Sources connected with Brian are quoted as saying " we could have easily added another 12 uk dates".

I wonder who was against that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

(PS - There is a board moderator editing my posts.  Probably Mike Love)

My original post said ML was a "Dic..head" and it was automatically changed to "is a skull of Dick Reising."  Guess that's something automatic on here?Huh Thought is was done by somebody. It wasn't - Sorry, my bad!

Yeah, it's the word filter. I had changed it to 'Skull of Richard' (because 'Dick' is a variation of 'Richard') several years ago but someone else changed to this. LOL

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »

I know the anti Mike comments are flying around but I actually think this is a massive mistake on the part of Brian's camp. The timing, wording, way they have made this public is all wrong to me and whether or not it's true I don't really see what it is going to achieve. Totally confused by all this and just hope it doesn't affect the gigs next week.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

I'll repeat a question that has been raised by one or two others:

If this is all much ado about nothing, why are Brian's 'people' publicising articles that talk of the reunion ending on a 'sour note'?

I don't know if they even think that far. It's us fans that make a big deal out of it. They might've posted it on Facebook because it's an article that seems to be important for fans. Plus it has some nice pictures of the boys and talks about the Grammy Museum performance

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »

For the same reason there was all the denials about the reunion. Controversy creates cash.

I don't know if they even think that far. It's us fans that make a big deal out of it. They might've posted it on Facebook because it's an article that seems to be important for fans. Plus it has some nice pictures of the boys and talks about the Grammy Museum performance

And, that.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »

What is wrong with fulfilling commitments, and working independently with the big picture still in view?  And, absolutely, "oversaturation" of a market, which is struggling is always an issue.  Nothing wrong with prudence.   Those less well known market areas, like local theaters are waiting for them to return.  If one is not sitting  at the table, speculation can be ridiculous.  They are all adults and can figure this out.   Wink

I have no doubt that they've figured it out.  But out of all the ways to go about sharing with fans that the reunited group is put on hold indefinitely---this is surely not the best way to go at it.  I mentioned earlier (as well as others) how they possibly could have broken the news about this so I'm just still a little uncomfortable with how it was handled.  I'm just hoping that all their plans for the band comes into fruition in 2013.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »

Love said that he sees recording and touring as separate matters, and that his decision to return to touring without Wilson, who is his cousin, or Jardine and Marks, who started the Beach Boys when they were teenagers growing up in Hawthorne,  wouldn’t preclude more recording together. “I’d be interested [in making another album] if I could write some songs with Brian,” Love said.

Whether it was Mike's intention or not, the conditionality of that statement is pretty jarring.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:11:44 PM by Theydon Bois » Logged
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »

What worries me is that coming into the last leg of this tour, the Beach Boys legacy was intact and soaring. Now it seems that this press release alone might undo all the positive vibes from fans, critics and the band and leave the BB where they were before all this - as a band who are constantly feuding.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx