gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680978 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 03:08:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Current Record Collector-issue  (Read 7785 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:07:14 AM »

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but the new issue of Record Collector has a 10-page feature on POB and later in the mag a 5-star review of it and named it "re-issue of the month". You should get it, there are some very nice and interesting quotes, even from all the surviving Beach Boys, minus David Marks and Blondie Chaplin.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »

Now if I could only find somewhere that carries Record Collector. There's not one in this town that does...

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »

What do Mike & Bruce have to say about it?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »

What do Mike & Bruce have to say about it?

Mike claims he co-wrote five of the songs.

His lawayers are on it  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »

theses are the quotes of Mike & Bruce:

Mike Love: He definitely did come up with some good melodies and great moments. But he was not verbally facile. He was kind of in between Brian and myself. He wasn’t quite comfortable with words, he’s more into feelings. The feelings were his strong suit. Musically, he had a style of writing, which was very emotional and a bit more melancholy. And, of course, me being Mister Optimism, I wouldn’t say I could relate to all those things. (Uncut, Barney Hoskyns, 2008)

Bruce Johnston: During our January 1966 Beach Boys tour of Japan I was able to spend a lot of time using backstage pianos to teach Dennis tons of chords. I think that got him interested in writing his own songs now that he had the power of those chords!
Dennis’ chord voicings were rather interesting and very much connected to the way Brian put it all together. Forever, from our Sunflower album, is Dennis’ standout song...kind of his Disney Girls. Dennis Wilson: I think musically I’m far apart from Brian. He’s a hundred times what I am musically. Our music is different. I think he has been a profound influence in my life. If I was to say that I had a master, Brian would be the man I’d say has guided and helped me through everything. (Interview by David Leaf, 1977)

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »

What does Brian have to say? I've never heard/read his thoughts on POB.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »

He is in the POB promo video, I do believe

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »

The lovester seems to have a problem to relating to anybody that doesnt think + feel like him...HMM..Openmindness is not Mike"s strong suit..
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »

All Beach Boys minus Dave and Blondie? Does that mean there's a quote from Ricky?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »

Well, Ricky's the Beach Boy who probably played the most on it, except Denny himself.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

Well, Ricky's the Beach Boy who probably played the most on it, except Denny himself.
Ricky plays drums on three or four of the tracks on the set...River Song, Pacific Ocean Blues, Are You Real, and possibly Holy Man. Carl is on about 8 to 10 tracks...as a guitarist on about 4 or 5.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »

Ach. That's what I get for not going to c-man's site.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:32 PM »

Can somone provide a link where to buy this?

Never mind I founf it. I bought it direct from them. Kind of expensive but it sounds worth it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:33:00 AM by MBE » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

theses are the quotes of Mike & Bruce:

Mike Love: He definitely did come up with some good melodies and great moments. But he was not verbally facile. He was kind of in between Brian and myself. He wasn’t quite comfortable with words, he’s more into feelings. The feelings were his strong suit. Musically, he had a style of writing, which was very emotional and a bit more melancholy. And, of course, me being Mister Optimism, I wouldn’t say I could relate to all those things. (Uncut, Barney Hoskyns, 2008)

Why can't Mike just say something nice without putting something negative into it? Mister Optimism indeed.
XY
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »

Haha, Mike & Mr. Optimism, a classic. I actually like the fact that Mike tells what he really thinks and doesn't change his mind just to be everyone's darling.

Here's Brian's praise for POB from a June 21 interview:

How does Brian feel about this gradual recognition for his late brother? “Well, very proud actually. I'm proud of him and I think he's wonderful. He was a good singer.”
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »

Brian´s quotes in Record Collector:

"It surprised me to see so much soul and inspiration in Dennis. I never motivated Dennis to write; he had his own motivation. His writing style was very funky, a rock’n’roll kind of a writer. His roots he learned from The Beach Boys. He watched me produce records and he watched Carl produce and he watched Alan produce, and he just got the knack and started producing records."

"Dennis’ voice makes it a special record. His voice always had a charming husk to it. I’ve always loved that."

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 07:16:54 AM »

Brian´s quotes in Record Collector:

"It surprised me to see so much soul and inspiration in Dennis. I never motivated Dennis to write; he had his own motivation. His writing style was very funky, a rock’n’roll kind of a writer. His roots he learned from The Beach Boys. He watched me produce records and he watched Carl produce and he watched Alan produce, and he just got the knack and started producing records."

Surprised at Dennis' soul and inspiration? Learned from watching Al Jardine produce? OK.... Roll Eyes
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »

Surprised at Dennis' soul and inspiration? Learned from watching Al Jardine produce? OK.... Roll Eyes

Well it doesn't surprise me that Brian was surprised at his soul and inspiration. I mean Brian a lot of the time probably didn't even take notice of Dennis as he was most likely off in his own world. As for the Jardine comment, well, typical Brian...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29:55 AM »

Who knows how much of Dennis's production style was inspired by the single version of Cottonfields?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 08:43:11 AM »

Those Mike and Bruce quotes are jokes, right?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »

Those Mike and Bruce quotes are jokes, right?

I dismiss most things that Bruce, Brian, and Al say these days. They don't seem capable of giving honest and well thought answers. Their responses are either totally mundane or downright goofy. Mike, on the other hand, while sometimes appearing slightly vindictive and still trying to prove himself (or his contributions), usually gives answers that make sense, ARE well thought out, and are honest.

shelter, I re-read Mike's comments to see what you were referring to, and I don't understand your post. I will take it one sentence at a time:

"He definitely came up with some good melodies and great moments". Is that not accurate?

"But he was not verbally facile". Do you consider that a slam? Mike was just pointing out that lyrics weren't Dennis' strong point, and he might've had problems writing them. Mike would know, considering that he collaborated with Dennis on songwriting. While I personally enjoy Dennis' lyrics (however I'm not sure which ones he and/or his collaborators wrote), I would probably rank his musical abiliities over his lyrical abilities.

"He was kind of in between Brian and myself". Mike was obviously still talking about lyrics. While some might not agree with this statement (it's a matter of opinion), I don't see it as a slight. I agree with it.

"He wasn't comfortable with words, he's more into feelings". I didn't know Dennis, but Mike did. This sentence doesn't make me uncomfortable, actually, I believe it to be true. Dennis does seem to go more for feelings in his music.

"The feelings were his strong point". Nothing else to be said here.

"Musically, he a style of writing, which was very emotional and a bit more melancholy". One just has to listen to Dennis' music (and Mike's), any of it, but especially Pacific Ocean Blue, to realize this. Describing someone's music as "melancholy" is not necessarily being negative or critical. Many of Brian Wilson's greatest songs were melancholy, it's a part of his art. Mike was just on his positive vs. melancholy thing.

"And, of course, me being Mr. Optimism, I wouldn't say I could relate to all those things". Another honest statement, not slamming Dennis, but pointing out the differences between the two. Mike isn't saying that his "style" is better than Dennis', just different. I respect Mike for being able to admit that, because he knows Dennis has a large, faithful following, many who are probably anti-Mike Love.

Where are the jokes, shelter?
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »

Yes Forever is his "Disney Girls".  The Lovester and Bruce do have their moments but sure do like to talk about themselves. Did I ever tell you guys the time I led my hockey team in goals? Well, my friend Bill Jackson and I....

I'd wager  if you asked Brian 2 minutes after his comment posted above on POB what he thought of it he'd come up with something completely different.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 01:21:16 PM »

Regarding Mike's comments...

My take on it is that Mike rarely (if ever) can give an opinion without mentioning some sort of indifference "he" had with it (either POB, Smile, GIOMH, BW88 etc) or how he would have done it differently, or some sort of shortcoming.....unless he had direct involvement (i.e. Warmth of The Sun, Kokomo, and Endless Summer).  He always seems to have a wall up where he can't hide his feelings (JEALOUSY).  I do understand how he must feel, and sometimes feel he is crapped on unnecessarily, but here he should have been bigger than that and said something like...."I think Dennis was a great song writer and this album reflects that. He had a big heart that is obviously reflected in his songs and his arrangements.....I am extremely happy for him and his family for this success and wish it would have happened sooner...." or something like that.  He should be blown away and happy for his cousin, instead he points out Dennis's shortcomings as a song writer. 

Even if you don't want to come off this way, or don't necessarily feel all of that, its the "classy" thing to do.  Mike Love and class are not often used in the same sentence (if ever) and this is another example. In fact I feel he had a perfect opportunity to gain some respect from the anti-Mike crowd with this statement.   

And its a bummer that Bruce is starting down this same path.  He used to be so generous with his compliments.....now he too appears to be hyping himself in his comments about other peoples achievements.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »

shelter, I re-read Mike's comments to see what you were referring to, and I don't understand your post. I will take it one sentence at a time:

Musically, he had a style of writing, which was very emotional and a bit more melancholy. And, of course, me being Mister Optimism, I wouldn’t say I could relate to all those things.
Didn't he say the same thing about Brian's music on the Endless Harmony DVD? And saying you can't relate to melancholic music because you're 'Mister Optimism', that's just absurd.

Forever, from our Sunflower album, is Dennis’ standout song...kind of his Disney Girls.
This just seems like an incredibly arrogant thing to say. Saying it was his standout song and then comparing it to one of your own songs... That's just disrespectful.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:23:57 PM by shelter » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »

Forever, from our Sunflower album, is Dennis’ standout song...kind of his Disney Girls.
This just seems like an incredibly arrogant thing to say. Saying it was his standout song and then comparing it to one of your own songs... That's just disrespectful.

Yes, if anything, "Disney Girls" is Bruce's "Forever."    Cheesy 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx