gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680977 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 01:22:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun - bit more info in Mojo ...  (Read 7095 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »

Excerpt from small piece in this month's mojo:

That Lucky Old Sun (A Narrative) has, says Brian, "three different parts: the music of Lucky Old Sun, a spoken word narration, and  original songs. The new songs are very, very excellent." His face lights up in a smile. "Isn't that amazing?"
   Certainly is. Mojo has just heard one of the songs, Midnight's Another Day, and it's glorious: slow, sad, sophisticated, with lines like "All these people make me feel sad so alone ... I'm a flag without the wind, " sung at the piano, backdropped by  harmonies.

Thought this looked really exciting and needed to be posted here. Sorry if it's against board rules to post excerpts like this - if so please remove it. Brian also says in same piece that right now songs are "pouring out of" him and that he might start work on a new album when the tour is over (cue cynical responses from jaded BW fans ...). Anyway definitely sounds promising!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:01:59 PM »

(cue cynical responses from jaded BW fans ...).

A cynic is an idealist with experience   Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »

Excerpt from small piece in this month's mojo:

That Lucky Old Sun (A Narrative) has, says Brian, "three different parts: the music of Lucky Old Sun, a spoken word narration, and  original songs. The new songs are very, very excellent." His face lights up in a smile. "Isn't that amazing?"

Amazing indeed - thus far it's been described as having three parts, four parts and five parts.

I'm confussed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 12:41:13 PM »

Amazing indeed - thus far it's been described as having three parts, four parts and five parts.

I'm confussed.

Maybe it's all in where you place the dividers: add an extra one in the middle of a refrain here, end of a verse lyric there--presto! Different number of parts.

btw, glad to see "confussed" broken out again. I laughed.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:47:12 PM »

I think the three parts are the new music, the Lucky Old Sun music, and the narration.
The four parts (or five) are the rounds...like four times in which there is narration or something like that.

Someone on the blueboard posted that Nelson was talking about the music. He compared it to the Smile music and made it sound like it's complete, which is good news. I know some people were skeptical about whether Brian would finish it.
I like the image of a flag without wind. Kind of a "Til I Die"-type of metaphor.
Was the identity of the lyricist ever confirmed?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »

From what I have heard, it's far from being completed..  Still in lots of pieces
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »

From what I have heard, it's far from being completed..  Still in lots of pieces

gee, where have we heard that before?Huh Grin
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »

gee, where have we heard that before?Huh Grin

How ironic - not to mention lousy - would it be for Brian to climb the Smile mountain and leave it behind...only to have the same thing happen all over again???

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »

Interesting that no coherent picture is emerging - some say it's finished, Mark Linett says it's just demos (and he should know), the band apparently haven't heard it in toto yet and Van Dyke may, or may not, be contributing.

How many days to go to the premiere ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 04:06:34 PM »

Being the optimist that I am, Brian saying that songs are 'pouring out of him' sounds very promising.
Obviously I am up on my BB history so I know what a load of old tosh it might be, but I've never heard Brian say that in an interview before, he's been going on about writers block for about 10 years!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 04:07:10 PM »

It's ok, they are sure to sell 1 million copies in September...

Roll Eyes
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »

I look forward to the release of Brian Wilson Presents that Lucky Old Sun (A Narrative) in September 2041.

LOL

I guess I've got a way with girls
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 05:37:19 PM »

I look forward to the release of Brian Wilson Presents that Lucky Old Sun (A Narrative) in September 2041.

LOL

Or maybe Daria, Delanie and Dylan Wilson Present...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 07:03:28 PM »

LOL

Or maybe Daria, Delanie and Dylan Wilson Present...

or possibly "What's left of my managers present...." oh, wait

featuring an encore presentation of "Ding Dang" and "Shortenin' Bread"

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »

And by then, my daughter will be bitching about how Pacific Ocean Blue STILL hasn't been re-released...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »

Maybe they are planning something similar to 'BWPS Cycle'.

1)  Brian plays the demos for Darian
2)  Darian and band arrange and learn the songs with rehearsal input from Brian
3) They play it live.
4) They record the album

Something like that.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 01:03:10 AM »

Interesting that no coherent picture is emerging - some say it's finished, Mark Linett says it's just demos (and he should know), the band apparently haven't heard it in toto yet and Van Dyke may, or may not, be contributing.

How many days to go to the premiere ?

The Mojo piece also mentions that VDP is contributing. Brian says he is writing the narrative. Brian says "I don't know what it's about, but I think it's about LA and love."

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 02:42:37 AM »

Sounds very promising to me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »

Brian doesn't know what his own work is about?!

Umm...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »

Brian doesn't know what his own work is about?!

Umm...

I'm sure it's not the first time. Do you really think he knew what VDP's Smile lyrics were about?

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 11:27:20 AM »

In 1966, yes.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 12:20:09 PM »

Maybe they are planning something similar to 'BWPS Cycle'.

1)  Brian plays the demos for Darian
2)  Darian and band arrange and learn the songs with rehearsal input from Brian
3) They play it live.
4) They record the album

Something like that.

With today's 65 year old BW with the troubles he's had... I would be a very happy fan to get something like this...
I would imagine that VDP is providing the structure (conceptual storyline) and if Brian is happy composing a whole pile of bits and pieces to hang on that structure.. then great!  and having Brian talking about how much he appreicates the new pitch control technology available in studio just makes me happier still...

Isn't this what we are all dreaming about?... new Brian Wilson music with his friends and allies cleaning up the rough edges that Brian's life would otherwise leave.... Cool Guy

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
XY
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 01:01:47 PM »

Do you really think he knew what VDP's Smile lyrics were about?

Probably more than Van Dyke Parks himself.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 01:18:27 PM »

Do you really think he knew what VDP's Smile lyrics were about?

Probably more than Van Dyke Parks himself.

Totally agree.  Take a look at "Goodbye Surfing, Hello God" in LLVS.  Brian gives a very sophisticated interpretation of the "Surf's Up" lyrics.  At that point in his life Brian was an extremely articulate and intelligent speaker.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:50 PM »

I always thought of that answer as the typical sort of BS Brian was and is likely to give.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx