gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680958 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 04:37:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1065652 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #925 on: March 25, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »

I just want The Beach Boys to be known for rocking again. The Smile Sessions was a huge disappointment and didn't have enough guitar-ness to be awesome. I can't wait for this new album to come out and completely tower over the release of the material from that ill-begotten era. I just get the feeling that this new studio effort is what everyone will be talking about for the next ten years instead of Smile.
This dude is a glutton for punishment >: Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Don't know why, he's got a valid point. Smile was a blip on the BBs career radar screen. Some hit-like material would be fantastic and a breath of fresh air. "60's -type hit material, not '80s.

I would say the exact opposite is the case: the SMiLE cd and boxset has been a real reminder to the music-buying public at large re Brian and the Beach Boys experimental genius and their musical originality and credibility, recieving as it has almost universal praise and good reviews;

The opposite opposite is the case.  

1.  Nobody buys CD's anymore.  Even less people buy 100 dollar boxsets.  

2.  Out of the few people that actually Do buy CD's, none of them bought the Smile Sessions outside of people with usernames on this board, or people that are actually in Brian's band.  Nobody in Mike's band bought The Smile Sessions.  Bruce has one, but Capitol Records gave it to him for free.  He accidentally left it in a VFW lodge in Wisconsin about 4 months ago.  

3.  If the Beach Boys record an album full of Doris Day covers and call it "Summer's Gone"... it will sell at least twice as many copies as the Smile Sessions.

Just thought I'd put that back in perspective for you, you've kind of lost the plot.  

You need to eventually get to the point where you do not care what critics say about their music, and enjoy it because YOU enjoy it, not some snot-nosed kid who writes a review on Amazon and says he doesn't like their shirts.  

Who gives a sh*t what the critics thing, or what the Beach Boys legacy is?  If people don't enjoy the music, that's their loss, not mine.

Hmm yes, just one slight problem with everything you've just said, in that... it was all b*llocks!

The Smile box SOLD OUT in the UK. And of course critical evaluations play a part in the groups legacy (in any groups legacy for that matter...). Otherwise Jon Stebbins, Andrew G Doe, etc would just be wasting their time. It'd be nice to simply sheild oneself from everyone else's opinions and just think 'Yeah I'm right and everyone else is wrong', but some of us care so passionately about the group that the group's critical standing and reputation matters and is important to us.

Oh, and while i can't speak for the condition of your own nostrils, I'm 30 and mine are relatively snot-free. And I've never ordered anything on and/or written anything on Amazon in my life.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 25, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

I just want The Beach Boys to be known for rocking again. The Smile Sessions was a huge disappointment and didn't have enough guitar-ness to be awesome. I can't wait for this new album to come out and completely tower over the release of the material from that ill-begotten era. I just get the feeling that this new studio effort is what everyone will be talking about for the next ten years instead of Smile.
Don't know why, he's got a valid point. Smile was a blip on the BBs career radar screen. Some hit-like material would be fantastic and a breath of fresh air. "60's -type hit material, not '80s.

I would say the exact opposite is the case: the SMiLE cd and boxset has been a real reminder to the music-buying public at large re Brian and the Beach Boys experimental genius and their musical originality and credibility, recieving as it has almost universal praise and good reviews;

2.  Out of the few people that actually Do buy CD's, none of them bought the Smile Sessions outside of people with usernames on this board, or people that are actually in Brian's band.  Nobody in Mike's band bought The Smile Sessions.  Bruce has one, but Capitol Records gave it to him for free.  He accidentally left it in a VFW lodge in Wisconsin about 4 months ago.  

3.  If the Beach Boys record an album full of Doris Day covers and call it "Summer's Gone"... it will sell at least twice as many copies as the Smile Sessions.

Just thought I'd put that back in perspective for you, you've kind of lost the plot.  

You need to eventually get to the point where you do not care what critics say about their music, and enjoy it because YOU enjoy it, not some snot-nosed kid who writes a review on Amazon and says he doesn't like their shirts.  

Who gives a sh*t what the critics thing, or what the Beach Boys legacy is?  If people don't enjoy the music, that's their loss, not mine.
An honest and accurate rebuttal , thank you, Ron.
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »

Hmm yes, just one slight problem with everything you've just said, in that... it was all b*llocks!

The Smile box SOLD OUT in the UK. And of course critical evaluations play a part in the groups legacy (in any groups legacy for that matter...). Otherwise Jon Stebbins, Andrew G Doe, etc would just be wasting their time. It'd be nice to simply sheild oneself from everyone else's opinions and just think 'Yeah I'm right and everyone else is wrong', but some of us care so passionately about the group that the group's critical standing and reputation matters and is important to us.

Oh, and while i can't speak for the condition of your own nostrils, I'm 30 and mine are relatively snot-free. And I've never ordered anything on and/or written anything on Amazon in my life.
The ship has sailed on the groups' "image", get in touch with reality. The only thing that matters is the music,
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #928 on: March 25, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

1.  Nobody buys CD's anymore.  Even less people buy 100 dollar boxsets. 

2.  Out of the few people that actually Do buy CD's, none of them bought the Smile Sessions outside of people with usernames on this board, or people that are actually in Brian's band.  Nobody in Mike's band bought The Smile Sessions.  Bruce has one, but Capitol Records gave it to him for free.  He accidentally left it in a VFW lodge in Wisconsin about 4 months ago. 

3.  If the Beach Boys record an album full of Doris Day covers and call it "Summer's Gone"... it will sell at least twice as many copies as the Smile Sessions.

Who gives a sh*t what the critics thing, or what the Beach Boys legacy is?  If people don't enjoy the music, that's their loss, not mine.

The ship has sailed on the groups' "image", get in touch with reality. The only thing that matters is the music,

Yes, why not completely misunderstand what it is i'm saying? Oh, you already have. Well done.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 25, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »

um i'm pretty sure more than 50 people bought the smile sessions.  unless we have the power to chart on billboard lol. if Ron was serious, that was pretty laughable. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:56:25 PM by Runaways » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #930 on: March 25, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »

um i'm pretty sure more than 50 people bought the smile sessions.  unless we have the power to chart on billboard lol. if Ron was serious, that was pretty laughable. 

Yes, see my previous post for a perfect one-word description of what he is talking. A clue: begins with B, ends with K, eight letters. Rhymes with frollocks.

Smile was a success; and the suggestion that it's positive reception isn't important to the group (and Brian) is just ridiculous...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #931 on: March 25, 2012, 01:04:39 PM »

'Nobody in Mike's band bought the Smile sessions'?

Could this be the single worst rebuttal to an argument in the history of the English language?

Curious as to how you know though? You a personal friend of 'Mike's band'? Or did Mike officially announce 'No one in my band bought the Smile sessions'? Must've missed that one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: March 25, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »

Someone's posted a release date of June 5th over on the Hoff, with UPC codes. That would make sense, two days before the TV special airs.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 25, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »

Could this be the single worst rebuttal to an argument in the history of the English language?

Curious as to how you know though? You a personal friend of 'Mike's band'? Or did Mike officially announce 'No one in my band bought the Smile sessions'? Must've missed that one.
I'm pretty sure Ron was being facetious in his remarks but  the truth lies therein.
It's obvious to me that he's addressing a "segment" of BBs fandom that tends to diminish the importance of Brians' (and the bands') work prior to Pet Sounds-Smile era. Maybe I'm wrong. Also the concern for the bands' image is ludicrous at this point.  If it wasn't for the flowery shirts, if it wasn't for Mikes dancing....come on the BBs are who they are, you can't change history and trying to convince "non-believers" into recognizing the greatness of their career as a complete entity is a toal waste of time. I've loved the music during the most difficult years to be a fan (late '60s) , so I know of what I speak.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #934 on: March 25, 2012, 02:09:49 PM »

Someone's posted a release date of June 5th over on the Hoff, with UPC codes. That would make sense, two days before the TV special airs.

Fantastic.

I honestly never thought we'd get another album out of them, them meaning with Brian. I can't wait! Very excited.

June 6th 1988. When I first heard a Beach Boys album.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 25, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »

I'm sorry, but any recordings of the Beach Boys or its members "rocking" since some time in the early 80s have almost always been hilariously bad and sounded extremely dated.  There are different approaches, really - "Morning Beat" is kind of a rock song, but "rocks" in a tasteful way. However, instances of this have been pretty rare.

Meanwhile, I've heard way too many things from these folks that sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84v9v1ucFxQ

And man, I just can't listen to this sort of sound without picturing some kind of "HILARIOUS" Full House-esque montage going over the top of it. Or a God damn baby dancing in the middle of it or something. Cliche rock chord progressions, sterile production, and no doubt, absolutely "silly" falsetto going on, probably supplied by Jeff.

No no no no no no no. This is the last thing I want to hear out of these kids nowadays. Besides, no Carl = no rock.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:33:57 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 25, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »

f*** yeah.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #937 on: March 25, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »

Besides, no Carl = no rock.

As great as Carl was, David is/was a better guitar player.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: March 25, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

"Rock" doesn't necessarily mean "guitar playing".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 25, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »

No Carl no rock..? No Dennis no rock!
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 25, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »

Rock that Theremin! w00t!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »

What's the Hoff?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 25, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »

What's the Hoff?
The Steve Hoffman Forum. Steve Hoffman is a Mastering Engineer who has done work for DCC and Audio Fidelity, in case you don't know who he is.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »

06/05/12
[CD]: 5099960282422
[VINYL]: 5099946319913

Cook pork throughly
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 25, 2012, 07:44:50 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 25, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »

Wow, so a little more than 2 months?

I wonder how long before that they will release a single...................................................

No mas, por favor.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:10 PM »

single in a month i'd think?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 25, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »

Awesome news, were so close now

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: March 25, 2012, 10:03:24 PM »

Rock that Theremin! w00t!

Or bang that piano!
Happy Birthday, Elton! 3D

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #949 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »

I'm pretty sure Ron was being facetious in his remarks but  the truth lies therein.
It's obvious to me that he's addressing a "segment" of BBs fandom that tends to diminish the importance of Brians' (and the bands') work prior to Pet Sounds-Smile era. Maybe I'm wrong. Also the concern for the bands' image is ludicrous at this point.  If it wasn't for the flowery shirts, if it wasn't for Mikes dancing....come on the BBs are who they are, you can't change history and trying to convince "non-believers" into recognizing the greatness of their career as a complete entity is a toal waste of time. I've loved the music during the most difficult years to be a fan (late '60s) , so I know of what I speak.

I think you're wrongly assuming Ron was being in some way ironic, or ironic even. I don't think this was the case at all, or that his intended argument was the same as the one you've just given above.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx