gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680928 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 08:14:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My girlfriend's impressions of The Smile Sessions.  (Read 7825 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »

My ex couldn't see Smile beyond being a set of unfinished fragments, and she mockingly likened it to one of those annoying made for discos mega-mixes where they only play little bits of several songs. I gave up trying to explain after a while and stopped listening to it when she was home.

For a brief moment I read: '...stopped listening to her when she was at home.'

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »

My ex couldn't see Smile beyond being a set of unfinished fragments, and she mockingly likened it to one of those annoying made for discos mega-mixes where they only play little bits of several songs. I gave up trying to explain after a while and stopped listening to it when she was home.

the saddest thing I heard today...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »

Yeah..I once had a girlfriend that complained about the Beach Boys...so I killed her. LOL
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »

My wife admits to liking Heroes and Villains and she loves Good Vibrations, and she likes all the early surf and car songs. The one BB song she thinks is too weird is Honkin Down the Highway although she says it has a good beat. And some of the stuff from Adult/Child that I played she said sounded like they were drunk or out of tune.

My Jan & Dean listening habit she can't understand, though.
The last thing I would play for someone not a serious fan of the BB's would be Adult Child or Love You.

Yeah, I didn't play it to her, I was just listening to it and she overheard it.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »

My wife admits to liking Heroes and Villains and she loves Good Vibrations, and she likes all the early surf and car songs. The one BB song she thinks is too weird is Honkin Down the Highway although she says it has a good beat. And some of the stuff from Adult/Child that I played she said sounded like they were drunk or out of tune.

My wife loves them and will listen to anything Jan and/or Dean (even Jan & Arnie) from Jennie Lee to Yellow Balloon.
She tells me be sure to "bring the boys" when we go for ride into town.

She doesn't even flinch at "Schlok Rod" 

Ive been holding back "Carnival of Sound" for later in the summer, she doesn't know about it yet.  angel

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

Love You is what solidified my wife being a fan when I first started getting her into the group.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 11:45:51 AM »

I don't recall her exact words but Mrs. O'Leary's Cow totally creeped out my wife.  LOL I think she's kind of creeped out by BW in general, although she likes her vintage Beach Boys as much as the next 50-something.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

I was making furniture whilst listening to the Smiley Smile sessions on Sunday. My girlfriend came into the room for ten or so minutes for a chat whilst i slaved away putting together her new bedside cabinet. After a while she went silent and didn't say anything for several minutes whilst the Beach Boys were heard rehearsing the fade to Wind Chimes. Eventually she said, ''Whatare you listening too?'' I said, ''The Beach Boys of course'' [I was surprised she felt the need to even ask]. Then she went, with a voice representing genuine wonder/bafflement, ''It's so weird. It doesn't sound like anything else''. ''Exactly'', i replied, ''that's what makes them so great''. She didn't seem overly convinced. ''It's just so odd''.

Beach Boys stuff she has liked however... A Day In The Life Of A Tree (''Wow, who is that? What a lovely song''), L.A. Light Album (funnily enough my ex really loved this album too, in particular Baby Blue) and Dennis' Pacific Ocean Blue.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:51:33 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:31 AM »

I don't remember my ex ever uttering an opinion about SMiLE, but she once gave me real wind chimes for christmas. One with smooching elks. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »

My wife loves them and will listen to anything Jan and/or Dean (even Jan & Arnie) from Jennie Lee to Yellow Balloon.
She tells me be sure to "bring the boys" when we go for ride into town.

She doesn't even flinch at "Schlok Rod" 

Ive been holding back "Carnival of Sound" for later in the summer, she doesn't know about it yet.  angel

I always thought Carnival Of Sound is pretty much the most accessible J&D 'record' (Save For A Rainy Day too), outside of a few tracks (Only A Boy can get to f***), but you could play anyone who digs the 60's pop stuff Girl You're Blowing My Mind or Hawaii and they would see the merits. I can't get into their 'real' records at all! Too many crap jokes and dumb songs.

I realise this isn't a popular view at all round these parts.  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »

Yeah..I once had a girlfriend that complained about the Beach Boys...so I killed her. LOL

I will never be able to listen to 'Workshop' again with innocent ears...

Ninja

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »

I don't recall her exact words but Mrs. O'Leary's Cow totally creeped out my wife.  LOL I think she's kind of creeped out by BW in general, although she likes her vintage Beach Boys as much as the next 50-something.

Some friends and I were driving over an old rickety bridge in deep backwoods Virginia late late one night. My friend stopped the car in the middle of the bridge and turned the car off. It was pitch black out and there was complete silence except for the sound of branches rustling and the boards of the bridge creaking....a really creepy experience. Then I put on 'Fall Breaks and Back to Winter' over the car stereo - I was forced to turn it off within seconds. Someone yelled "What the hell is that?!?"

"The Beach Boys of course!" I replied.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »

I will never be able to listen to 'Workshop' again with innocent ears...

Ninja
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! wa ha ha ha (Thunder and lightning sound)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »

I'm convinced that the world's sum of girifriends appreciation of the Smile stuff falls down like this

1% of the chicks that listen to it like it.  Some of those chicks are on this board.
20% of the chicks that hear it, don't like it, and don't mind telling you it's crap.
79% of the chicks that hear it, try to like it because they're kind hearted and soft like women are apt to be, and are trying to support their boyfriend's taste in music. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »

For a brief moment I read: '...stopped listening to her when she was at home.'

goshdarn Sigmund Freud
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »

I'm convinced that the world's sum of girifriends appreciation of the Smile stuff falls down like this

1% of the chicks that listen to it like it.  Some of those chicks are on this board.
20% of the chicks that hear it, don't like it, and don't mind telling you it's crap.
79% of the chicks that hear it, try to like it because they're kind hearted and soft like women are apt to be, and are trying to support their boyfriend's taste in music. 

Ron, shining light of modern feminism, has returned!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »

Hey, somebody's gotta say it out loud.  Smiley
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:26 AM »

Love You is what solidified my wife being a fan when I first started getting her into the group.

I have some friends who only like Love You, go figure!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2013, 05:57:41 AM »

My wife does like the Beach Boys and fully accepts my obsession (and me).
But, 100 times out of 100, she asks for "Who Ran The Iron Horse" to either be turned down or switched off.

everyone has their limits i guess
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2013, 06:04:59 AM »

But, 100 times out of 100, she asks for "Who Ran The Iron Horse" to either be turned down or switched off.

'who ran the iron horse' can be the most annoying piece of music ever made I have to admit.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2013, 06:39:46 AM »

'who ran the iron horse' can be the most annoying piece of music ever made I have to admit.

So you never heard Metal Machine Music, then?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2013, 07:06:48 AM »

No, they really don't, you fool.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »

Hypehat, the women's pet, the men's regret.

Or so I've heard.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »

Hypehat, the women's pet, the men's regret.

Or so I've heard.

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx