gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 02:13:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And now, for something inspiring  (Read 13103 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 07:09:12 AM »

"Even when it comes to his father, Murray Wilson, who also happened to be the first manager of The Beach Boys and the man who deafened Wilson with his fist, Brian Wilson doesn’t mull over his misfortunes."

But in his book Brian writes, "When I was out playing in my neighborhood, between my house and another, a kid hit me in the head with a lead pipe.  His name was Seymour, I think, either his first or last.  The feeling was just shock at first, but the next day I realized I couldn't hear as well out of my right ear."  

Which book are you referencing? But beyond that, were you really more interested in this detail than the inspiring tone of the review and the book?

And right here is why some of you are not getting the fact that this place has double standards. Your very response to Jim Murphy's post is indeed cheer leading a book you yourself admit have not read. Yet you have been taking part in nitpicking conversations in numerous threads about Mike's book. Murphy's question is legit. Why is it you need to jump in with a "who cares about details it's Brian's book isn't that enough". My paraphrasing of course but that is what you are saying. Oh.... I see... it's only OK to point out discrepancies in Mike's book in comparison to what's been printed or said in the past but not Brian's. I always though Brian's dad hit him with a board, or guess it was a kid with a pipe, or I guess it was his dads fist, or......get my point? ...probably not. And before you jump the gun and label me a Mike apologist or creep or kokomo head or whatever label "you people" (an expression you have used describing those that would have a different viewpoint from yourself) go ahead and bore yourself reading anything I've posted here over the years. Seen Brian 5 times solo, only seen Mike at the c50 since Carl died.

There is a little click on this site that has become tiresome and is chasing off decent fans and posters aside from those being banned.

Also, that thread about some idiot claiming we should all be killed has no freaking business in GENERAL ON TOPIC DISCUSSION. Explain how that is relevant to Brian or the Boys music? That would be like if say a band member from one of the "camps" was convicted of a serious crime, something ugly like rape, and people were talking about it here.....that would be wrong correct.... that would be.....oh wait a minute, forget it.

How was it relevant? People on this board were being trashed by a member who was upset at the way he was treated and crying foul. It was being broadcast to thousands of people that this community was a bunch of arseholes, and the member who didn't like the dialogue chose to make jokes about the mass murder of the members here. Bad taste, over the line? It was in direct reference to the people here, and was an example of someone crying foul about the treatment he received after he had cracked jokes about murdering the members here.

The words and the context were posted for all to see. If you may disagree with it, that's your call obviously. But people I think should be aware that they're being trashed to potentially thousands of people who have no knowledge of this board by someone who was offered numerous opportunities to have a dialogue about his articles, comments, and whatnot, and chose instead to go public and call everyone here assholes and joke about their mass murder at the same time saying he got a raw deal here.

Now anyone reading can judge for themselves based on the context and the character of those involved, as they please.

Double standards? I guess trashing people directly and by name who are members here, on forums and social media outlets where they are not members and cannot reply directly is OK, or is that part of the "nice" aspects of other forums that are all about discussing the music?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:12:19 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:56 AM »

Paul JB; Let me ask if I'm understanding your comments correctly. Jim Murphy's comments were posted as a reaction to "nitpicking" of Mike's book?  Or was the fact-checking legit in this case in the interest of getting the facts straight? It sounds like you're suggesting a double standard, where checking "facts" in one book based on advance copies is what you call nitpicking, but in the other it's "legit". That sounds like a double standard. If someone points out a discrepancy, how is it nitpicking for one but "legit" for another? They're either both legit or they're both nitpicking.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:21:37 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 07:49:33 AM »

Though I infinitely prefer Brian as a person and as an artist, I must say I'm looking forward more to Mike's book. I want to read about the band tensions, the little betrayals, the nitty-gritty politics of songwriting credits, the business double dealings, the ego trips, in short -- the gossip.

I already know everything I need to know about Brian -- it's all there in the music. Not saying I won't read his book with interest, but I suspect it will be little more than an addendum to his true autobiography, the records he made.

(Though maybe I'm wrong, and it will offer new insight and enrich what we know about his art. We'll see.)
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »

I'm interested only in the music, and can hope to read some insights in Brian's book. Not in the other.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

I'm interested only in the music, and can hope to read some insights in Brian's book. Not in the other.

I really don't mind what he writes about. It could be about his favourite arm chair. As long as its 100% Brian that's all that matters. Don't want history repeating itself like that first "autobiography".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »

I really don't mind what he writes about. It could be about his favourite arm chair. As long as its 100% Brian that's all that matters. Don't want history repeating itself like that first "autobiography".

Same with me. Hell, I'd love to hear his thoughts on non musical topics too, like baseball

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »

Same with me. Hell, I'd love to hear his thoughts on non musical topics too, like baseball

Yea that'd be interesting. I remember there was an interview where it kind of derailed and Brian brought up the topic of ufos. Those type of conversations are so much more interesting than the things we already know.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:06:06 AM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »

https://books.google.com/books/about/I_Am_Brian_Wilson.html?id=9CmiBQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

Preview the book here
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 01:04:24 AM »

It says its not available to preview
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2016, 01:13:37 AM »

Glad I opened it when I did then!

His comment about Jeopardy made me laugh

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2016, 01:28:22 AM »

Damn that was taken off quickly Embarrassed
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2016, 02:10:02 AM »

Works for me.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2016, 02:23:58 AM »

I can't get a preview either (in the Netherlands). Must be a local thing. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2016, 03:07:37 AM »

Must be, oh well we'll get to read it sooner or later.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2016, 04:25:24 AM »

Thanks for the link.
Oh, Landy was such a creep -

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »

I finally had time to read what was available. I love the voice and the tone - so Brian.  Because of the brutality all over the internet (and sometimes here) and in the media, it actually took me a few pages to hear Brian's wonderful voice again outside the music - I'm so used to being on the defensive and a bit shell-shocked. 

Then it all managed to sink in and it was so, I don't know, soothing, refreshing, sweet, whatever - like his music.  What a kind and generous soul, yet really honest.  I can't wait for this book.

And for all of you people who reference the "Mike-haters," Brian clearly speaks of the younger days in this book and how much he enjoyed Mike - both joining his "brother band" of vocalists as he taught them all the parts in their teen days - and his sense of humor.  Clearly, I haven't seen the rest of the book, but I doubt that Brian suddenly turns into an angry soul.  It's such a relief from life these days.

From what we've seen so far, thanks Brian.

Go ahead, call me a "cheerleader" - I'm enthused.  If you don't like it, post another cartoon of me.

I have a question, if I'm a cheerleader, what the hell was Iain Lee for Mike's book - well aside from the snarky attacks and death threats on all of us?  And you guys talk about "double standards."  Right.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »

Iain was a waterboy.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »

Iain was a waterboy.

Unless someone can correct me (and I'm open - please, do tell...), from my experience, the guy is a pathetic has-been who wasn't particularly funny (or Ricky Gervais might have hired him), and now has sunk to the level of trolling message boards, stupidly offering death threats and a hit piece - oddly in the middle of a fluff piece for Mike Love's book.  I don't know what else to say.  I certainly hope someone was paying him for his nonsense, or it's even sadder.

Npw, back to the link to Brian's book - I'm guessing he doesn't care about any of these clowns - just sharing his loving music - by what we've seen so far.

I don't know, but some idiot spouting snark or trying to damage Brian's image, as opposed to "God Only Knows" is a pretty simple choice for me.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:40:46 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »

Brian doesn't play these types of games. And from the little bit I've read in the previews, it seems very much like Brian, and the 'jumping around' adds to it.

The think with Landy putting his hand on Brian's lap to see if Brian was still "interested " in people gave me the creeps.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »

Brian doesn't play these types of games. And from the little bit I've read in the previews, it seems very much like Brian, and the 'jumping around' adds to it.

The think with Landy putting his hand on Brian's lap to see if Brian was still "interested " in people gave me the creeps.

I only met Landy once in person, and it was very brief, but genuinely creepy.  Aside from that, I had a few middle-of-the-night phone calls that were obviously from the Surf Nazis, given that after they gave me phony explanations as to who they were (I was still waking up), they also started grilling me about if I'd said anything critical of Landy.  I wasn't exactly seeking attention or fame and was working at one of my usual, regular jobs, but they were asking me about Mae Rovell's comments on a private phone call about Landy - like I'd know.  Weird, sick people.

But Brian has moved on with a wonderful family.  The tragic thing is that friends and I were suggesting those UCLA doctors at least, as early as 1980.  But it took Melinda and Gloria to seal the deal.  I'm thinking if destiny exists - this would be an example.

I'm looking forward to maybe more excerpts of Brian's book, or simply the book itself.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:15:49 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »

You brought up something interesting. .if this never had happened,  Brian might not have met Melinda. 

It's amazing how things play out

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:32 AM »

You brought up something interesting. .if this never had happened,  Brian might not have met Melinda. 

It's amazing how things play out

Yes. I try not to play god/dess and deal with current realities.  Then again, I don't think any of us are especially good at that, even though we try.

Brian's life turned out amazingly well after all that he went through.  I'm really grateful for that.

On another note, I just realized how badly I want a rabid lapdog.  That could simplify my life in a lot of ways.   police
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »

I completely misread that as "rabid laptop"

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »

I just read the preview of Brian's book and absolutely loved it.
Then I went to Amazon to pre-order, and I saw that Mike's book is labeled as a "Best-Seller" and Brian's isn't. Maybe that's just due to Mike's earlier release date.  Huh
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »

It's also getting a lot of hype due to the Manson thing

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx