gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 09:26:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Second Favorite Band Next to the Beachboys  (Read 50529 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »

Because there really is no substance to their music, which is fine usually but not when it masquerades as being something that does have substance. I find Radiohead to be empty, cold, emotionless, trifling, and silly and all of this is exacerbated by the fact that they take it so seriously.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »

I put them up there equal to the Beach Boys as the two greatest bands of all-time Smiley
the kkk took my baby away :/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:38 PM »

The KKK Took My Baby Away is f*cking amazing, what are you talking about. In fact, I am going to listen to it right now. At earsplitting volume. In a library. At 2am.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »

That whole album is great!!!!!! Pleasant Dreams!

WE WANT THE AIRWAVES!!!!!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »

The KKK Took My Baby Away is f*cking amazing, what are you talking about. In fact, I am going to listen to it right now. At earsplitting volume. In a library. At 2am.
actually that's one of my favorites from them Smiley and i love it ..especially since the outro has such a beach boys feel with the harmonizing vocals
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

The Misfits, T. Rex, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Animal Collective, Sunset Rubdown, Broken Social Scene, and yes, Radiohead. and if you don't listen to a band because people in the band say stupid things you shouldn't listen to any band ever. Especially the Beach Boys.

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgeT2hzxrQ
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2012, 08:58:24 PM »

The Misfits, T. Rex, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, Animal Collective, Sunset Rubdown, Broken Social Scene, and yes, Radiohead. and if you don't listen to a band because people in the band say stupid things you shouldn't listen to any band ever. Especially the Beach Boys.

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

LOL oasis is extremely over-rated.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »

Love (Arthur Lee).Dylan.Moodys,Doors,Beatles.Van the Man,Yardbirds..............
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »

The Beach Boys
Yo La Tengo
The Byrds
Velvet Underground
The Beastie Boys
Nirvana
The Beatles
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
The Shins
The Eels
Stone Temple Pilots
Radiohead
Blink 182
Weezer
The Pixies

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »

not really, i think they've earned the disregard they've gotten over the years.  albums 3-5 are baaaaad...BAAAAAAD.  but albums 1 and 2 are full on rock n roll pop classics. 
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »

not really, i think they've earned the disregard they've gotten over the years.  albums 3-5 are baaaaad...BAAAAAAD.  but albums 1 and 2 are full on rock n roll pop classics. 
radiohead 4 albums are classic...3 well received by critics and 1 albums that is considered trash by some(mostly radiohead fans) which is their debut.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »

I put them up there equal to the Beach Boys as the two greatest bands of all-time Smiley
Forgot about that Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

not really, i think they've earned the disregard they've gotten over the years.  albums 3-5 are baaaaad...BAAAAAAD.  but albums 1 and 2 are full on rock n roll pop classics.  
radiohead 4 albums are classic...3 well received by critics and 1 albums that is considered trash by some(mostly radiohead fans) which is their debut.

debut probably isn't pretentious enough.  but are you really trying to compare radiohead and oasis?  kinda completely different.  Obviously i'd pick oasis every time.  i'll take the band that likes to have fun and rock out. not the "woe is me, i'm an aartist, i'm gonna give away this album for freeee and everyone will loove us for it, because we're going against the label and being independent! (never mind that we're only doing this because the label wouldn't give us all the money we wanted)"

and i'm not saying oasis were better musicians or anything like that.  i just like them way more. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:03:46 AM by Runaways » Logged
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »

Anyone here a fan of Blind Melon's Soup album? I'm not a huge fan of their self titled debut, but Soup blows me away every time. Out of all the gifted young artists who died way too early, Shannon Hoon's death is the biggest dissapointment to me. I can only imagine how great their third album would have been.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2012, 07:07:26 AM »

Buffalo Springfield (CSNY) ~ whatever they call themselves, individually or collectively.  Wink
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2012, 07:28:43 AM »

That's funny to find a thread like this on the board, because my second favorite band released a new album yesterday: Die Ärzte.

I bought their new album as a vinyl set yesterday and listened to it, and it was today I discovered they had a CD containing the full album in the box as well. It was disguised as a wheel of fortune as part of an included board game, kind of a sales gimmick. I noticed it had the size of a CD, then that I could take it of its socket, but the down side was completely black. Out of curiosity I put it into the CD player, and it played. There was no note the vinyl set contained the CD, in fact it was promoted that the vinyl set would contain a download code for mp3 versions. I wonder if most of the vinyl set buyers already discovered that.

The new album isn't that exciting though, especially compared to their three previous ones. But their voices are still excellent an nearly 50 years of age, especially compared to the voices of the Beach Boys when they were nearing 40... Wink 2

Incidentally, they did a cover of "The KKK took my baby away" in German language in the early 90s.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2012, 07:47:01 AM »

So they weren't at the forefront of one of the most significant music scenes of the last thirty years? Are you suggesting that didn't happen?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »

i'll take the band that likes to have fun and rock out. not the "woe is me, i'm an aartist, i'm gonna give away this album for freeee and everyone will loove us for it, because we're going against the label and being independent! (never mind that we're only doing this because the label wouldn't give us all the money we wanted)"

What the hell is this logic? just listen to the music.

and are you really making fun of Radiohead for giving away an album for free?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »

i'll take the band that likes to have fun and rock out. not the "woe is me, i'm an aartist, i'm gonna give away this album for freeee and everyone will loove us for it, because we're going against the label and being independent! (never mind that we're only doing this because the label wouldn't give us all the money we wanted)"

What the hell is this logic? just listen to the music.

and are you really making fun of Radiohead for giving away an album for free?

i think it's funny they got all this credit for going against the music industry when really all they wanted was more money and the label wouldn't give it to them.  and i have listened to them, some good stuff. 

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

never said they said stupid things.  again, did you see i listed oasis as one of my favorite bands? obviously band members saying stupid things doesn't bother me.  but interpretive dancing to your own song in a music video...oh man...if you do that, then you deserve this

they were but so were radiohead, i just think that oasis put out 2 good albums and the rest was ehhhhhhhhh lol

So they weren't at the forefront of one of the most significant music scenes of the last thirty years? Are you suggesting that didn't happen?
who contributed more to rock and roll in the 90's? oasis or radiohead?(creatively)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:52:27 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »

Saying Oasis were at the forefront of the "Britpop" revolution is like saying Three Dog Night were at the forefront of early 70's American rock.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »

Oasis was absolutely the face of britpop in the 90s.  Blur, suede, the verve, pulp nor supergrass were as big in the mid 90s.   And three dog definitely didn't have the cultural impact in the states that oasis had in England
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:28:48 PM by Runaways » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

That band that John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison were in was quite good, I think they were called The Quarrymen. Shame they never did anything after that initial skiffle era.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »

they were but so were radiohead, i just think that oasis put out 2 good albums and the rest was ehhhhhhhhh lol

who contributed more to rock and roll in the 90's? oasis or radiohead?(creatively)

Oasis. Although, to be fair, there would have been no Travis or Coldplay without Radiohead. So they got that.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »

Oasis. Although, to be fair, there would have been no Travis or Coldplay without Radiohead. So they got that.
Oasis will always be remembered as one of the best 90's but radiohead will always be remembered as one of the best groups of all time..not just by me or my peers but by musicians period.
look ----->http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/radiohead-19691231
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx