gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681041 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 03:43:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to entirely embarrass a friend :-D  (Read 20850 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 04:20:01 AM »

Sorry, both my comments were in regard to the first paragraph: as regards to "Mulan" songs being on the Disney album... I'm flattered you think I might know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 04:20:01 AM »

I woke up with a horses head! Starting to get a tad worried

Son, you shouldn't advertise your sexual conquests on the internet, especially if they're that ugly.

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 04:21:12 AM »

Aye, a curious thread that's had me curiositifising for days…

I reckon Craig's been asked to verify certain sessions detail and has run it by AGD for double-verification, which has given AGD an insight into release schedules and potential tracklists but he's sworn to secrecy and will, if he lets anything slip, have to hunt us all down, one by one, and kill us.

Just like he did with everyone on the original Cabinessence board…

… and yes, he knows who you are, and that you're still out there, and YOU"RE NEXT!

Damn. Rumbled.  Ahhh!

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »

I woke up with a horses head! Starting to get a tad worried

Son, you shouldn't advertise your sexual conquests on the internet, especially if they're that ugly.
Better than sleeping with the Fishes/\..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 07:54:10 AM »

The use of Frank's artwork would make everyone happy (especially Frank): like I've been saying since day one, if not slightly before - thanks, ACJ - to put this out without the iconic cover is unthinkable, and if it's purely finance that's preventing it then hell, Brian, pay him out of your own pocket. This thing needs to be done right and, with all due respect to Mark London for his sterling work on the BWPS, there's only one cover, only one booklet.

Uh-oh, it sounds like Frank Holmes' artwork still may not be a done deal.  Do we need to take up a collection?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 08:05:07 AM »

The use of Frank's artwork would make everyone happy (especially Frank): like I've been saying since day one, if not slightly before - thanks, ACJ - to put this out without the iconic cover is unthinkable, and if it's purely finance that's preventing it then hell, Brian, pay him out of your own pocket. This thing needs to be done right and, with all due respect to Mark London for his sterling work on the BWPS, there's only one cover, only one booklet.

Uh-oh, it sounds like Frank Holmes' artwork still may not be a done deal.  Do we need to take up a collection?

Yes, let's collect every existent copy of Franks' cover and destroy them. Then Capitol will have to buy the artwork, knowing everone, everywhere will buy the box for the artwork.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 08:05:42 AM »

Well he does seem to be somewhat irritating about it - didn't he make an eye-watering offer for it''s use on BWPS, hence the use of London?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »

Well he does seem to be somewhat irritating about it - didn't he make an eye-watering offer for it''s use on BWPS, hence the use of London?

His point is very simple - he wasn't paid for the work he did in 1966, he wants paying now.

BTW, the reason the prints he was selling included a Capitol copyright wasn't because they did indeed pay him back then, but because said prints of the front cover included the bands name and the album title, which were the work of the Capitol art department.*

[* this occurred to me maybe 20 seconds before I wrote it]

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »

At all? - For some reason I thought they had given him a flat fee of some kind but royalties weren't forthcoming because, well, it never made it into shops.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2011, 08:25:04 AM »

nothing, nada, zilch, zero

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2011, 08:26:21 AM »

If I accurately recall his account, he asked Brian's people how his artwork would be used, how many copies expected to sell, etc. and got no answers.  So he made an opening offer of $50,000.  End of negotiations.

I assume experts will clarify if I'm mistaken.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:28:28 AM by Les P » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »

If I accurately recall his account, he asked Brian's people how his artwork would be used, how many copies expected to sell, etc. and got no answers.  So he made an opening offer of $50,000.  End of negotiations.

I assume experts will clarify if I'm mistaken.

I know zilch about remuneration in these matters. But $ 50,000 seems very cheap to me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »

His point is very simple - he wasn't paid for the work he did in 1966, he wants paying now.

BTW, the reason the prints he was selling included a Capitol copyright wasn't because they did indeed pay him back then, but because said prints of the front cover included the bands name and the album title, which were the work of the Capitol art department.*

According to Mark London in 2004, Frank was paid $2,000 by Brian back in 1966.   This, among other things pretty much killed Frank working on BWPS in 2004. 

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »

Man, are my facts off. Thanks all....

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »

In your opinion, what would have been a fair going rate back in 1966-1967?

According to Mark London in 2004, Frank was paid $2,000 by Brian back in 1966.   This, among other things pretty much killed Frank working on BWPS in 2004.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:36:21 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »

According to Mark London in 2004, Frank was paid $2,000 by Brian back in 1966.   This, among other things pretty much killed Frank working on BWPS in 2004.  

And of course Mark London is an authority on this matter why?
If Brian personally paid Frank $2,000, he's never mentioned it; and I've never heard Frank mention, nor seen any mention, for Frank being paid by Capitol.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:49:08 AM by bgas » Logged

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »

If Brian personally paid Frank $50,000, he's never mentioned it; and I've never heard Frank mention, nor seen any mention, for Frank being paid by Capitol. 

Umm, Mark was THERE at the preliminaries for the art for BWPS.  Initially worked with Frank.  And then was privy to the "negotiations".  Simple.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »

If Brian personally paid Frank $50,000, he's never mentioned it; and I've never heard Frank mention, nor seen any mention, for Frank being paid by Capitol. 

Umm, Mark was THERE at the preliminaries for the art for BWPS.  Initially worked with Frank.  And then was privy to the "negotiations".  Simple.

Frank to Mark:  "Brian already paid me $2000 for this cover, I'd sure like to be paid again, for doing nothing else" 

Yeah, right, sure. I wasn't there, of course....

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »

According to Mark London in 2004, Frank was paid $2,000 by Brian back in 1966.   This, among other things pretty much killed Frank working on BWPS in 2004.  

Umm, Mark was THERE at the preliminaries for the art for BWPS.  Initially worked with Frank.  And then was privy to the "negotiations".  Simple.

Frank to Mark:  "Brian already paid me $2000 for this cover, I'd sure like to be paid again, for doing nothing else"  

Yeah, right, sure. I wasn't there, of course....

Actually, it is a little more involved than that...but I won't bore you with the facts about the merchandising percentage questions and the lawyers... plus the parts that Jean Sievers and Melinda played in the "negotiations"...Grin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:59:09 AM by earcandy » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »

Interesting that Frank - who btw has also claimed he was never paid at all for his work - says that he was paid by Brian, and not Capitol. Can you say "legal minefield" ?

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »

Interesting that Frank - who btw has also claimed he was never paid at all for his work - says that he was paid by Brian, and not Capitol. Can you say "legal minefield" ?

"50 Years of Legal Minefield"...great name for the next greatest hits set!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »

Shrikes… without Frank's artwork this box takes a credibility knock for sure. I'd be happy to wait 'til next year or the year after if it means there's chance for successful negotiations over this, if all this speculation  –  and I'm assuming it's speculation  –  is true.

With all due respect to Mark London, there's only one possible artist to associate with the original SMiLE project.

Having eh box set in anything but Frank's art would be like the remastered Sgt Pepper coming out in a Tracey Ermin-designed sleeve*.

* which would probably be a spent condom, or a stained tent floor…

“We live in divisive times.”
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »

Shrikes… without Frank's artwork this box takes a credibility knock for sure. I'd be happy to wait 'til next year or the year after if it means there's chance for successful negotiations over this, if all this speculation  –  and I'm assuming it's speculation  –  is true.

With all due respect to Mark London, there's only one possible artist to associate with the original SMiLE project.

Having eh box set in anything but Frank's art would be like the remastered Sgt Pepper coming out in a Tracey Ermin-designed sleeve*.

* which would probably be a spent condom, or a stained tent floor…

Hey, I'm a huge fan of Frank's work, and I'll be sorely disappointed if it's not used in this release, but I'm not getting any younger.  I, for one, will NOT be happy to wait until 2013 for the Smile box.   Sure, a delay of a month or two would be fine.   But a year or two?  I must part company with you on that one.   

I'm hoping that sensible minds prevail on both sides and mutually agreeable terms are reached... soon.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »

I'm hoping that sensible minds prevail on both sides and mutually agreeable terms are reached... soon.

Yes, let's hope for sensiblity where there once was none.( Capitol/ BBs) 
Let's really hope they don't use a Mark London cover.  ( nothing personal)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »

Let's really hope they don't use a Mark London cover.  ( nothing personal)

Agree with you 100%. Nothing personal on my part either.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx