gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 06:28:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian version of God only knows  (Read 22187 times)
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 10:28:02 AM »

Thanks Mark. 

And thanks for the good work you've done over the years.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 11:05:35 AM »

It crashed Winamp and Windows Media Player. I think its my crappy computer. I Get an error saying that type of file is not supported. Quicktime ain't working either.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 11:13:02 AM by The What of Whom » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 12:05:21 PM »

It's DEFINITELY Bruce in the last two seconds of the song. Maybe not in the "final product" that'll be released, but on the soundclip featured in this video, it IS Bruce.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »

...And I've uploaded the video on MegaUpload. Here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3IYGK2V0

Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »

Cool~ Let me download it now, and it should work for me.

edit

yeah...this time it looks like a regular wmv file. For some reason when I tried to dl it before, it was saving as some other kind of file. Thanks!

Oh God...he sounds GREAT!

Could that voice at the end be Nelson?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:47:42 PM by The What of Whom » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 01:33:37 PM »

It's DEFINITELY Bruce in the last two seconds of the song. Maybe not in the "final product" that'll be released, but on the soundclip featured in this video, it IS Bruce.

I knew this "discussion" woldn't die just because I posted the facts.

Believe whatever you like, but that is not Bruce nor is the original recording used for any part of the track. To do so would cause all sorts of legal issues and there is no reason to use it anyway. This is meant to be a new recording by Brian of GOK.  If memory serves it's Probyn who sings the answer line at the end of the song.

Mark Linett
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »

yeah...this time it looks like a regular wmv file. For some reason when I tried to dl it before, it was saving as some other kind of file. Thanks!

That's because you were basically downloading a link, but not a file. You are supposed not to be able to grab the video, just to be able to play it while you're online.  Sad To get that video, I left-clicked on the link, let it load and play, and then searched for it in my Temporary Internet Files folder.

Could that voice at the end be Nelson?

I'm SURE that, in the last two seconds, it's Hal Blaine's drumming and Bruce's voice. I would swear to it.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 01:46:22 PM »

I knew this "discussion" wouldn't die just because I posted the facts.

Believe whatever you like, but that is not Bruce nor is the original recording used for any part of the track. To do so would cause all sorts of legal issues and there is no reason to use it anyway. This is meant to be a new recording by Brian of GOK.  If memory serves it's Probyn who sings the answer line at the end of the song.

Mark Linett

I truly believe you, but I think you're talking about the version that will be released. But if you download the video with this link (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3IYGK2V0) and listen to the last 2 seconds (0:30 to 0:32) of the song featured in the video (which is obviously not the final version), I can't see how you could pretend that it's not Bruce singing and Hal at the drums.

Despite our - temporary?  Cheesy - disagreement, might I add that I respect you and your work a lot?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:56:27 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »

So... you're saying that Mark didn't engineer the few seconds used for the video ? Or that he did, but after he went home, someone overdubbed a part of the 1997 box ?

FWIW, it does sound a lot like Bruce. But it isn't. Trust me on this, or if you won't trust me (and who could blame you ?), trust the the guy who actually worked the board for the session.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

Ah, but Mark, rumors never die on this board. We don't take the truth from authorities--we make up our own. I suspect we'll be hearing forevermore that BW and his band used the PS version...

Can I call 'em or what?  I love this place.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »

I think the thing that is really throwing every one off is that when you see the 3 guys in the studio start the tag, Brian sings the first "God only knows what I'd be with-ouuuuut", then someone else sings the second one, and Foskett does the high part (where he was flat on one note, but that's beside the point).  But as the round continues, in the last few seconds, someone else is singing that second "God only knows what I'd be with-ouuuut", and it's not the same person who sang it the first time.  That's why this all seems so weird.  That and the drum fill before "Bruce" sings suggest that someone did some weird edit at the end there.  I totally trust and believe Mark here, and like I pointed out earlier, Brian couldn't use the original song even if he wanted to due to all the legal hassles.  But that IS Bruce at the end, there's no doubt about it.  It's the same part he sang on the original, and nobody in Brian's band could imitate him that well.  Obviously Bruce is not on the new recording, but somehow he got edited onto the last few seconds of that video, for some unknown reason.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 05:00:57 PM »

Im gonna have to agree with the naysayers. Although its probably a new recording, the very last 'god only knows' sounds like nobody but Bruce. Ofcourse, whoever sang it might have been able to reproduce it to the T...then again perhaps (and this is the cynic joe talkin) they did infact sample the original, but they dont want anyone to know...so they'll just keep insisting that its a brand new recording. Razz

Ive listened to it a few times, and the quality of the recording even sounds different at the very end, its like if they pasted the original ontop of the new one just for the videos sake.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 06:26:01 PM »

If that isn't Bruce...somebody cloned him.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 12:16:51 AM »

...Brian sings the first "God only knows what I'd be with-ouuuuut", then someone else sings the second one, and Foskett does the high part (where he was flat on one note, but that's beside the point).  But as the round continues, in the last few seconds, someone else is singing that second "God only knows what I'd be with-ouuuut", and it's not the same person who sang it the first time.  That's why this all seems so weird.  That and the drum fill before "Bruce" sings suggest that someone did some weird edit at the end there.  I totally trust and believe Mark here, and like I pointed out earlier, Brian couldn't use the original song even if he wanted to due to all the legal hassles.  But that IS Bruce at the end, there's no doubt about it.  It's the same part he sang on the original, and nobody in Brian's band could imitate him that well.  Obviously Bruce is not on the new recording, but somehow he got edited onto the last few seconds of that video, for some unknown reason.

My thoughts exactly. And as Joe ponted out, there's a very noticeable sound quality difference at the end...

I've posted a zip file containing the "2007 part" and the original 1966 part. It's only 128kb, so download it. And if anyone goes on saying that it isn't Bruce, I... I... I don't know. I'd be very disappointed to know that there are some people on this board who don't have ears anymore.  Sad

Here's the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/16124720/GOK_-_1966-2007_comparison.zip.html

It *IS* Bruce, dammit!  Grin

XY
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 12:36:40 AM »

OK, we all got the joke. It was very funny. And now back to normal please.  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 04:11:14 AM »

It sure sounds alot like Bruce, but it's probably Scott Benett (or Probyn Gregory as Mark pointed out). I don't see why they should put the original part in there. It's too much work for two seconds. I don't think it is Bruce...

@Mark Linett: Any chance that one part where Jeff is out of tune will be re-recorded? It's around 0:27-0:28
Oh and can you tell us who sings "What love can do"? brian or another singer like on the demo-version?
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 04:32:26 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 05:20:24 AM »

To lay these rumours to rest, this is a 100% new recording of GOK performed by Brian and his band. 

Mark Linett

I knew this "discussion" woldn't die just because I posted the facts.

Mark Linett
I truly believe you, but I think you're talking about the version that will be released. But if you download the video with this link (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3IYGK2V0) and listen to the last 2 seconds (0:30 to 0:32) of the song featured in the video (which is obviously not the final version), I can't see how you could pretend that it's not Bruce singing and Hal at the drums.

Despite our - temporary?  Cheesy - disagreement, might I add that I respect you and your work a lot?

Un-frickin'-believable!  That's all I can say.

GOK 2007 engineer vs. unknown message board posters.  Gee, I think you guys are right.  Yeah, the website uses 27 seconds of the new track to showcase a new recording, but then they decide that the last 3 seconds isn't good enough, so they "secretly" (shh, let's keep this quiet, send Linett a memo to keep his mouth shut about those last 3 seconds) edit the last 3 FRICKIN' SECONDS OF THE ORIGINAL ONTO THE NEW DEMO, KNOWING THAT THAT 3 SECOND CHANGE WILL SELL MORE COPIES OF THE PRODUCT.  Yeah, that's it.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »

Yeah, it does sound like a crazy conspiracy. I'm thinking that part of the new version just sounds insanely like the original. And I'm going to leave it at that.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 05:54:30 AM »

By the way, Mr. Linett (should you decide to ever return to this place), that new God Only Knows sounds great.  Can you tell us if Brian has recorded enough songs for the new album?  Will the Bacharach collaboration be a part of the album?  Thanks for visiting the site and for trying to keep us all informed.  

Artie Formiller
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »

Un-frickin'-believable!  That's all I can say.

GOK 2007 engineer vs. unknown message board posters.  Gee, I think you guys are right.  Yeah, the website uses 27 seconds of the new track to showcase a new recording, but then they decide that the last 3 seconds isn't good enough, so they "secretly" (shh, let's keep this quiet, send Linett a memo to keep his mouth shut about those last 3 seconds) edit the last 3 FRICKIN' SECONDS OF THE ORIGINAL ONTO THE NEW DEMO, KNOWING THAT THAT 3 SECOND CHANGE WILL SELL MORE COPIES OF THE PRODUCT.  Yeah, that's it.

settle down, beavis.

--
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2007, 10:01:14 AM »

Well, here's another CD I'll have to buy to get a new Brian Wilson song while wading through a lot of artists I have little interest in!

Again, I'm not sure why a good Brian vocal is such a surprise to people here. His performance sounds pretty close to his live take on the song for the past few years. I'm not saying it hasn't been touched up a little in the studio, but he's still capable of singing, you know?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2007, 11:31:58 AM »

...Brian sings the first "God only knows what I'd be with-ouuuuut", then someone else sings the second one, and Foskett does the high part (where he was flat on one note, but that's beside the point).  But as the round continues, in the last few seconds, someone else is singing that second "God only knows what I'd be with-ouuuut", and it's not the same person who sang it the first time.  That's why this all seems so weird.  That and the drum fill before "Bruce" sings suggest that someone did some weird edit at the end there.  I totally trust and believe Mark here, and like I pointed out earlier, Brian couldn't use the original song even if he wanted to due to all the legal hassles.  But that IS Bruce at the end, there's no doubt about it.  It's the same part he sang on the original, and nobody in Brian's band could imitate him that well.  Obviously Bruce is not on the new recording, but somehow he got edited onto the last few seconds of that video, for some unknown reason.

My thoughts exactly. And as Joe ponted out, there's a very noticeable sound quality difference at the end...

I've posted a zip file containing the "2007 part" and the original 1966 part. It's only 128kb, so download it. And if anyone goes on saying that it isn't Bruce, I... I... I don't know. I'd be very disappointed to know that there are some people on this board who don't have ears anymore.  Sad

Here's the link: http://rapidshare.com/files/16124720/GOK_-_1966-2007_comparison.zip.html

It *IS* Bruce, dammit!  Grin

Well, after having listened to the comparison clip I have to say it does sound like the original recording. 
I fully believe that the new recording that will be on the cd doesn't include any of the BB version but for some reason  the original recording got edited on that specific promo video.
So Mark is right, of course, but I believe those who hear Bruce are correct as well.

STE

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »

It just seems whoever edited the video has mixed in a sample of the original recording. Obviously, thanks to Mark, we know that the new recording is completely new, theres no doubt to that. The video's audio seems like its been spliced. For what reason? I dont know...perhaps we can email the person who created the video.

I just listened to the comparisons posted by Sloop John B. And in all honesty, as someone already mentioned, if you cant tell that they are both similar then you have a hearing problem. Where's Josh's million dollar ear when you need it.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:59:46 AM by Joe- » Logged

--
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 12:42:08 PM »

Here's a better question...when does the cd come out?

Theremin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 02:06:55 PM »

To stir things a little bit up: I did some fiddling with the videoclip and also with the mono cd-version of "Pet Sounds" (release from 1990).

First: the audio quality of the video clip was poor: 64 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo. I had to extract the audio from the videoclip and converted it to a WAV-file, cd-quality (44 kHz, 16 bit stereo).
After that I grabbed the mono track of GOK from the mono cd.
Then I downconverted this track to the same poor quality as the videotrack. After that I had to convert this setting back to audio-cd quality so I could compare them.
And the result can be found here:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/WTNJUGhYQzN3TGg1VEE9PQ

The first audio you hear is from the videoclip. The second part is taken from the mono cd.

Now, please tell me if there's any difference? 

P.S.: the part on the mono cd starts at 2'12".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx