gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680928 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 06:25:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Love' Dance  (Read 5631 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »

so this  dance thing that Mike love does, was that a hit with the fans or was it just an emaressment to the guys.

Also did he make that dance up or was it the thing in the 60's 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:03:09 PM by brain_is_god » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:09:41 AM »

It was a 60's type dance, which carried over into the 90's and beyond.  He doesn't play an instrument other than the sax sometimes and a tambourine, so he had to find something to do besides just standing there and singing. 

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »

I hate that dancing !! It was okay in the beginning, but from '65 on (maybe even '64) it was just embarassing.
Mick Jagger also didn't play any instrument and he has quite a cool perfomance, why not Mike Love? In the early 70s and also on he "It's ok"-Special he is really cool imho but that's it...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:04:56 PM »

i sometimes find it funny and an intresting look at the 60's, since i was born in the 90's

But i gotta say, i love his 70's ego, like at knebworth, he was just full of it.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 03:29:17 PM »

f**k it, I love Mike Love, I love the dance.  I embrace it in all of it's dorky splendor. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:11:59 PM »

f**k it, I love Mike Love, I love the dance.  I embrace it in all of it's dorky splendor. 

well said,

He is very funny to watch

MBE
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 11:36:05 PM »

Jagger is just as big a dork but that is why its fun watching them. The Brian's of both bands are SO much cooler though!
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 06:18:59 AM »

well said,

He is very funny to watch

Agreed, agreed, agreed. One of my favorite things about Mike live.

He's a dork, but let's not kid ourselves: so is Brian Wilson.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 07:00:05 AM »

As far as I've been shown, so is all of Hawthorne, CA, with the possible exception of Dennis Wilson. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 07:01:38 AM »

Oh, and BTW, didn't David Ruffin use to do a variation of the same dance?
MBE
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 12:48:10 AM »

I love seeing clips where the others roll their eyes at Mike. (Brian smirks quite a bit at Mike's dancing in the early days). Continuing the Mick Jagger comparison Watch Charlie Watts' eyebrows  in any of the 70s Stones clips where Mick is acting feminine.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 10:35:04 PM »

Or what's worse is when people dance along with him on TV shows! Like those shows where they had all the backup dancers, during the instrumental breaks they all come to the forefront and Mike doesn't look as big of an idiot. Or when they were in France and the French people in the audience were imitating his actions, so silly.

The actions he does to Fun Fun Fun are great, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 11:10:14 PM »

Or what's worse is when people dance along with him on TV shows! Like those shows where they had all the backup dancers, during the instrumental breaks they all come to the forefront and Mike doesn't look as big of an idiot. Or when they were in France and the French people in the audience were imitating his actions, so silly.

the thing I don't like about people bumping super old threads is that my opinions have greatly changed over the years. I was such a Mike-disliking noob.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »

the thing I don't like about people bumping super old threads is that my opinions have greatly changed over the years. I was such a Mike-disliking noob.

Jack Kerouac said: "First thought best thought"

.... cue Kokomaoist flaming of drunken old Beatnicks with benzadrine, mother and cat fetishes ....
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 05:32:57 AM »

Mike's dances might be quirky but 'least he has his own style. I for one never saw any frontman doing great Mike.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

.... cue Kokomaoist flaming of drunken old Beatnicks with benzadrine, mother and cat fetishes ....

Wow, how encouraging it is to see/hear Kerouac quoted here
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »

wow that is an awful spelling error by me, well I was 15 at the time  LOL

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

Consider yourself beatified Mr Roach.

( ... the thought has crossed my mind as to what would have happened had Dennis Wilson met Neal Cassady ... the Dumb Angel and the Holy Goof ... )
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »

...Every time I see various 60s fragments of dancing people they seem to me strange, i.e. people of that decade danced quite monotonously, ingenuinely, sometimes like robots or whatever. Don't know how to explain but there's something eccentric in their dancing way...

The thing is, on those 60s shows you're watching real people dancing for real. As image became more important in the late 70s, and even more so after MTV started, most TV shows and production companies hired professionals dancers who were choreographed to look like real people dancing. Sure, styles of dancing have changed, but go to any nightclub or bar today and you'll see plenty of monotonous and robotic dance moves.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:16:29 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »

True, Mike reached deep within and allowed himself to become one with the music, his body a vessel to channel graceful flowing motions as he waved his arms around like a chicken during Little Deuce Coupe.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 09:01:10 PM »

I hate that dancing !! It was okay in the beginning, but from '65 on (maybe even '64) it was just embarassing.
Mick Jagger also didn't play any instrument and he has quite a cool perfomance, why not Mike Love? In the early 70s and also on he "It's ok"-Special he is really cool imho but that's it...

I'll try to answer your question. 

Mick Jagger is cool.  That's why his dance is cool.  Mick doesn't dance to look cool.  He *IS* cool, so nearly everything he does is cool.  It's very natural for Mick Jagger to dance cool, because naturally, he's cool.

Mike Love has never been cool.  That's why his dance is not cool.  Mike doesn't dance to look cool.  He *ISN'T* cool, so nearly everything he does isn't cool.  It's very natural for Mike Love to not dance cool, because naturally, he's not very cool.

Notice the similarity.  Both guys do what they do, with no pretention.... they just do what they're naturally inclined to do. 

Much less cool would be if Mike TRIED to be cool.  He knows his dance is uncool.  He knows it went out of style in 1964.  He does it anyways because it's who he is. 

Ultimately, being yourself, in itself, is cool. 
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:57 AM »

Consider yourself beatified Mr Roach.

( ... the thought has crossed my mind as to what would have happened had Dennis Wilson met Neal Cassady ... the Dumb Angel and the Holy Goof ... )

This is gonna sound dumb but the late 1980s early 1990s BW resembled Kerouac  Cool Guy

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

I'll try to answer your question.  

Mick Jagger is cool.  That's why his dance is cool.  Mick doesn't dance to look cool.  He *IS* cool, so nearly everything he does is cool.  It's very natural for Mick Jagger to dance cool, because naturally, he's cool.

Mike Love has never been cool.  That's why his dance is not cool.  Mike doesn't dance to look cool.  He *ISN'T* cool, so nearly everything he does isn't cool.  It's very natural for Mike Love to not dance cool, because naturally, he's not very cool.

Notice the similarity.  Both guys do what they do, with no pretention.... they just do what they're naturally inclined to do.  

Much less cool would be if Mike TRIED to be cool.  He knows his dance is uncool.  He knows it went out of style in 1964.  He does it anyways because it's who he is.  

Ultimately, being yourself, in itself, is cool.  
I totally agree with all the said! Great post, Ron! I love Mick Jagger's stage dances!
Speaking of that, has there ever been a worse video ever made...well maybe, but I wouldn't call Mick's movers here "cool"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:05:49 PM by joe_blow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx