gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 12:08:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guess You Had To Be There  (Read 33717 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »

Since we can probably all agree that what she's singing isn't very hard to sing, and it's evident in live performances that she sings in key, why is it so hard to believe that they didn't have to 'autotune' her voice?  Autotune is a pitch correction tool.  If they're singing it on pitch, there's nothing to pitch correct.  

You understand that a number of producers do not think like this nowadays, though? They throw the filter on regardless, they think nothing of it, it's just like compression or reverb to them. It's a safety net applied to most tracks to ensure everything is "right" when music shouldn't be about being "right". They're not sitting they're debating "Was she in tune? Was it bad?" They're throwing it right in there along with the compression etc. simply because "that's how you do it now." They think said glossy, warbly character sounds "nice", just as people thought chamber-reverbed drum machines and 800 goofy keyboard overdubs sounded "nice" in the 80s.

More often than not, people are not using autotune to compensate for a poor vocal, they're using it just because it's what you do now. It's grating, it's ill-fitting, it's totally stupid and it's not going to age well at all. Joe Thomas' "work" is only serving to greatly cheapen what I hate to say will go down as some of the Beach Boys' final recordings together. It's really, really depressing. You can say "Just listen to the songs", but fuck, there's a point where it becomes a distraction and really takes away from the experience.

You can use pitch correction without lazily throwing a filter over the entirety of it and calling it a day. It doesn't have to be detectable in the slightestl, it doesn't have to have said glossy, warbly sheen all over it. But no, no one wants to put the work in, no one wants to give Brian's music the level of attention it deserves. Just throw a filter on it, it's the thing to do nowadays, it's cool, just collect your fat paycheck and go home and farm your hair some more.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 07:32:01 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »

Have tried multiple times on multiple laptops and phones to listen to this from the Esquire site, and every time no audio or video comes up, only a black screen in its place. Anyone else had this problem? Any other way to listen to it?
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »

Nevermind, found another source.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »

I'm not particularly impressed with this cut

Make waves, not love
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2015, 02:36:40 AM »

What I'm hearing, more than any putative post-production twiddling, is a very mundane song. Pleasant enough, but... mundane. Or maybe it's becoming obvious I'm not one for girly vocals.   Grin

That said, the majority of the other numbers are hugely encouraging.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:37:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2015, 03:38:13 AM »

... it's an earworm.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2015, 04:35:24 AM »

Mmmmmmmmm... no. No, it isn't.

"Runaway Dancer", on the other hand, is.  Grin

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2015, 05:57:37 AM »

Having finally given the song some good listens on the good headphones, I can't find a bad or offensive thing about the song musically. I do think the song is very, very simple. It's impossible to hate a song like this, but it is the simplest of three of four chords over and over on the verses.

Little bits of the vocal arrangement are more interesting than the song itself or its chords.

I like the idea of things sounding different from song to song on this album, and I'm in in no position to say Brian needs to write chord progressions on the magnitude of "This Whole World" every time. But I'd say "Guess You Had to Be There" does teeter on the verge of blandness.

I think "Sail Away" is head and shoulders above anything else we've heard, and that song as well as "The Right Time" and even "Runaway Dancer" have more interesting chord changes and arrangements.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:16 AM »

It makes me happy that AGD is happy about Runaway Dancer, but it makes me sad that he isn't happy about the other songs. This isn't Pet Sounds, but I think it will be a uniformly strong album, without any truly embarrassing moments.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2015, 07:39:31 AM »

What I'm hearing, more than any putative post-production twiddling, is a very mundane song. Pleasant enough, but... mundane. Or maybe it's becoming obvious I'm not one for girly vocals.   Grin

I'd give it a few more spins Andrew. This has really grown on me after 3 or 4 listens. I really loved Taylor in the mix and always hoped for a lead from her on one of Brian's records. I think Kasey has a bit of Taylor in her. Super unique and instantly identifiable...maybe not... but a really good voice with a nice sense of emotion.

An aside note;
Even though country is not my thing, I checked out Kacey on itunes and NPP & GYHTBT come up so this was a really brilliant move for all involved. A LOT of people that are into Kasey are going to download this tune and probably a lot more Brian and the BB's. This album is finally outside the box of what Brian has been doing. I'm really looking forward to it after hearing this and Sail Away.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »

Forgot to mention that IMO this song more than any of Brian's recent work has Radio airplay potential. Not saying it will be a hit but it certainly could be because it's the kind of tune that gets in your head pretty quick.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »

My favorite cut so far...melody gets stuck in your head and won't escape.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »

Like Runaway Dancer, this one does very little for me.

Can't get enough of Sail Away, though!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »

My favorite cut so far...melody gets stuck in your head and won't escape.
With you all the way on this song. Incredible writing, lyrics, singing and arrangement going on here. Fits in very well with what I've heard so far. Total keeper!!  w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

There's a line in there which resembles the melody for "The nearer your destination the more you're slip-slidin' away…"

“We live in divisive times.”
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »

Funny, "auto­tune" has been replaced by "Dijon mustard" everywhere on the board. But there's a problem with that...

...Dijon mustard is actually good

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:17:26 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »

I thought about using 'auto tunafish' :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »

It makes me happy that AGD is happy about Runaway Dancer, but it makes me sad that he isn't happy about the other songs. This isn't Pet Sounds, but I think it will be a uniformly strong album, without any truly embarrassing moments.

The only songs that leave me lukewarm are "On The Island" and the subject of this thread. Otherwise, all rather fine, especially "Sail Away".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

I'd give it a few more spins Andrew. This has really grown on me after 3 or 4 listens.

I have. Not happening. Not objectionable just... mundane.

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »

Want to hear Wild Honey in concert!!!  The over and under on hearing "Sock it to me" in my lifetime seemed small.  I was riding hope on Andre G. Doe  to flow this meaningful phrase.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »

Not into The Ronettes or The Crystals? Darlene Love?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »

Like female vocals, solo or group. But these two... don't do it for me.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2015, 10:18:57 PM »

... it's an earworm.
I had an earworm once....all I heard was chomping..
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2015, 04:19:29 AM »

Like "The Right Time," this is one that seems merely pleasant and enjoyable on the surface but on closer listen reveals much more depth in its harmonies and instrumentation.

I promised myself I wouldn't get my hopes too high for this new album until I heard the whole thing, but that's awfully hard to do at this point.  To my ears, everything released so far has been terrific.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx