gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681176 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 26, 2024, 08:02:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" Reaction  (Read 8892 times)
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »

I wasn't deep into BB history or lore back in 1998, but I was blown away by this song when I listened to the soundtrack.

What was the reaction among hard core fandom? 
Had this been widely booted?
 If not, was anybody aware that it existed?
 In short, how surprised were you by it in 1998? 

I went from not ever hearing the faintest rumor of its existence to a complete mind-blowing revelation as I listened to it. Just wonder if it rocked the BB Fan world as much as it rocked mine at the time.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »

I hadn't heard of Soulful Old Man Sunshine until I bought Endless Harmony back in 1999. I, too, was fully blown away by how amazing the song was. It's definitely one of my favorite Beach Boys songs from the late 60s. I just love those incredible harmonies. I can't remember which book it was from...someone described it as sounding like a shampoo commercial. Whatever, I disagree. It's an incredible upbeat jazzy pop number. Carl's 'flubbing' (Shunshine) doesn't bug me in the least. Love it...
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »

Liked it a LOT.  GLAD to have it now after the fact.  Maybe just a touch too 'bright' Sunflower?  Haven't really thought about dropping it in there 'til today.  Kind of lost in between projects like Breakaway, Lool De Loop and Celebrate the News.  Good tuneage but maybe not quite right for the album???

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:04:15 PM »

Yes, I was definitely blown away the first time I heard it too. I was also unaware of it's existence. I thought it was a real missed opportunity for the band as well. It had such a full, spacious vocal sound. I think the general public would immeadiately recognize it as being The Beach Boys, yet it sounded unlike anything they had done up to that point.

And I think it would have fit in well with what was currently on the radio around 1969. It just had that vibe and sound. Think of "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Good Morning Starshine", "More Today Than Yesterday", and probably several others I can't remember right now.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:32:46 PM »

Yes, I was definitely blown away the first time I heard it too. I was also unaware of it's existence. I thought it was a real missed opportunity for the band as well. It had such a full, spacious vocal sound. I think the general public would immeadiately recognize it as being The Beach Boys, yet it sounded unlike anything they had done up to that point.

And I think it would have fit in well with what was currently on the radio around 1969. It just had that vibe and sound. Think of "Build Me Up Buttercup", "Good Morning Starshine", "More Today Than Yesterday", and probably several others I can't remember right now.

I broke the scoop about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" in ESQ in 1994.  I was in L.A. for the Brian Wilson Tribute at the Morgan-Wixon Theatre, and Elliot Kendall got me an invite to Rick Henn's house.  Before that I had scored a lead sheet for "Soulful" from Rockaway Records, and I had heard Manfred Schmidt's excellent, but slower-tempoed re-creation from the lead sheet on the IN MY ROOM tribute cassette (which Rick was very complimentary of).  But when Rick played me "Soulful," my jaw hit the floor.  I described it in as much detail as I could remember in the next issue of ESQ.  But I didn't hear it again until Endless Harmony was being compiled.

Hearing it for the first time at Rick's house is still one of the highlights of my time as a Beach Boys collector.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:32:37 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »

I can't believe it wasn't an A Side, let alone not being released at all for over a couple decades. I just can't fathom them letting this one slip away when they were all upset to one extent or another over their sales slipping so much at that point. I guess I can't say for sure if it would have been a huge seller or anything, but I still think it would have went down as a highlight of that era.

I think it would have been pretty perfect on Sunflower, maybe as a track 1 or 2 or as the opener for side B.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:19:09 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »

I broke the scoop about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" in ESQ in 1994.  I was in L.A. for the Brian Wilson Tribute at the El Ray Theatre, and Elliot Kendall got me an invite to Rick's House.  Before that I had scored a lead sheet for "Soulful" from Rockaway Records, and I had heard Manfred Schmidt's excellent, but slower-tempoed re-creation from the lead sheet (which Rick was very complimentary of).  But when Rick played me "Soulful," my jaw hit the floor.  I described it in as much detail as I could remember in ESQ.  But I didn't hear it again until Endless Harmony was being compiled.

Hearing it for the first time at Rick's house is still one of the highlights of my time as a Beach Boys collector.

Lee

You're talking about co-writer Rick Henn, right Lee?

Carl supposedly vetoed the song's inclusion from the Good Vibrations box set due to his singing Shunshine" instead of "Sunshine" about two minutes in. Less picky heads prevailed and it eventually came out on Endless Harmony five years later (soon after Carl passed).

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 04:41:55 PM »

I broke the scoop about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" in ESQ in 1994.  I was in L.A. for the Brian Wilson Tribute at the El Ray Theatre, and Elliot Kendall got me an invite to Rick's House.  Before that I had scored a lead sheet for "Soulful" from Rockaway Records, and I had heard Manfred Schmidt's excellent, but slower-tempoed re-creation from the lead sheet (which Rick was very complimentary of).  But when Rick played me "Soulful," my jaw hit the floor.  I described it in as much detail as I could remember in ESQ.  But I didn't hear it again until Endless Harmony was being compiled.

Lee

That's really interesting. I came to the impression--from what I have read around here and on predecessor boards, I suppose--that the version on Endless Harmony was edited together and mixed from raw tapes without the Beach Boys' direct involvement, about which easily could be mistaken, as while I pay attention, I don't pretend to be a scholar about it. But if that's true (or even close to true), I guess I always assumed that happened somewhere near the time of that album, not five years earlier. Do you know or recall whether you heard the version used there, or some other, separately assembled version?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »

You're talking about co-writer Rick Henn, right Lee?

Yup, co-writer, arranger, and producer.

My iPad was fighting with me over the word "Henn," and it got deleted altogether.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »

That's really interesting. I came to the impression--from what I have read around here and on predecessor boards, I suppose--that the version on Endless Harmony was edited together and mixed from raw tapes without the Beach Boys' direct involvement, about which easily could be mistaken, as while I pay attention, I don't pretend to be a scholar about it. But if that's true (or even close to true), I guess I always assumed that happened somewhere near the time of that album, not five years earlier. Do you know or recall whether you heard the version used there, or some other, separately assembled version?

Mikie is correct; Rick (with Daryl Dragon) assembled his edit in 1993 for the GOOD VIBRATIONS box set, but it was rejected.  That's the version I heard, and that's the version Alan and Mark used on ENDLESS HARMONY.  But I think Rick also played Elliot and me some of the session outtakes.  I vaguely remember him playing a couple of attempts at the a cappella intro, with the guys laughing about how great it sounded.

Lee

(Dang, my iPad doesn't like "Mikie" either...)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:03:52 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »

Yeah, a missed opportunity if there ever was one. I was blown away by it the first time I heard the Endless Harmony CD. That would've been the smash single the group needed had they been able to complete it.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

Some great discussion about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" from last year over on the Steve Hoffman board, including highlights from my interview with Rick Henn, and some great comments from Stephen Desper:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beach-boys-soulful-old-man-sunshine-whats-up-with-the-sound.276506/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:54:30 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »

Some great discussion about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" from last year over on the Steve Hoffman board, including highlights from my interview with Rick Henn, and some great comments from Steve Desper:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beach-boys-soulful-old-man-sunshine-whats-up-with-the-sound.276506/

Thanks a lot for posting this!

The first post, about the phasing - it sounds like someone took a mono verse and tried to put it through some kind of filter to "stereoize" it to match the rest of the song. I really, really dislike this aspect of the mix. I edited the verse to be in true mono, and while it's not ideal, it sounds a lot better.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:28:44 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »

The first post, about the phasing - it sounds like someone took a mono verse and tried to put it through some kind of filter to "stereoize" it to match the rest of the song. I really, really dislike this aspect of the mix. I edited the verse to be in true mono, and while it's not ideal, it sounds a lot better.

You nailed it -- Stephen Desper goes on to talk about the use of the Orban Stereo Synthesizer on SOMS.

Lee
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »

Some great discussion about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" from last year over on the Steve Hoffman board, including highlights from my interview with Rick Henn, and some great comments from Steve Desper:

Thanks a lot for posting this!
Yeah, another big thanks - what a great read - and hopefully a study vid may one day be with us - thanks Lee and Stephen

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 05:36:53 PM »

I have to say I love this song like it's nobodys business, however, I believe it would have tanked just like Breakaway did. Sad but true.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 05:51:01 PM »

I have to say I love this song like it's nobodys business, however, I believe it would have tanked just like Breakaway did. Sad but true.

I totally agree.  What would have been de rigueur in, say, 1966, was unfortunately passé by 1969 (do I get bonus points for using two French phrases in the same sentence?).

I see that a lot in Brian's music.  "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is so accurate -- he was ahead of his time in so many ways, but behind the times in just as many others.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:42:12 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »

I was blown away by the tune, and it was basically used as the theme song for the Endless Harmony documentary, to great effect. It really sums up the Beach Boys sound in so many ways. Hard to believe it never got a proper release in the 7os. I'm skeptical that it would have made much of a dent in the charts, but who knows?

the demo is also a delight, Brian is in great form. I'd love to know who wrote what on this tune.

"one, two... a-one, two, three... take off!"
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »

This was unbooted, and there was a lot of fan anticipation when it was announced to be on the tracklist for Endless Harmony. That compilation ess such a treat for hardcore fans. Overall, the reception was positive when it came out, and it did live up to its by then legendary status (at least for most fans). I think that in terms of individual tracks, only WIBNTLA had more legendary status and anticipation leading up to its release.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »

This song kicked my BB-obsession to the next level. I mean, I already knew they are the greatest band in the world with the best songs, but hearing this... When the voices come in one by one in the middle eight, it felt like somebody kicked down my inner door of perception, and then that "heyyyyyy" part, it was like an explosion of light fooding into my head.

So yeah, it definitely made an impact. Still one of my fave songs of all time.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:30 AM »

I read Lee's article on it in 1994. And shared the enormous anticipation among fans for this track.

A few years later I heard it and meh..... Overrated, if you ask me. Sometimes that happens when superfans hype the music they've just been privy to and you weren't. Happened with Lazy Lizzie. Happened with You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'. Happened with the Paley sessions. Some of this music is good, or very good. Some of it I cherish. But the hype created for it, surpasses by far the actual results. MHO
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:52:08 AM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 04:07:25 AM »

I'm not so sure it would have tanked as much, but probably would not have gone to #1 either.

I was blown away, too, much more than by other tracks that were unearthed long after their time. It shows how good the boys were at that point to deliver such a performance on a song they're not interested in at all.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 05:48:03 AM »

I read Lee's article on it in 1994. And shared the enormous anticipation among fans for this track.

A few years later I heard it and meh..... Overrated, if you ask me. Sometimes that happens when superfans hype the music they've just been privy to and you weren't. Happened with Lazy Lizzie. Happened with You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'. Happened with the Paley sessions. Some of this music is good, or very good. Some of it I cherish. But the hype created for it, surpasses by far the actual results. MHO

We certainly can agree to disagree, because it was as exciting to me the second time I heard it (when Alan was compiling ENDLESS HARMONY) as it was the first time, four years earlier.  It still has a place on my one-CDR/80 minute compilation of my favorite Beach Boys tracks.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:33:10 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 06:01:37 AM »

My jaw dropped when I first heard this on the EH soundtrack. Outstanding, fully produced … etc etc etc. overjoyed it had reached my ears and was an utter surprise; but always wondered what impact it might have had at the time. I disagree that it sounds dated. It still sounds incredibly vibrant, and very optimistic to me.

“We live in divisive times.”
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »

To each their own, I think. A bubblegum effort, overblown vocal arrangement, not much of a song in there, and a half-arsed lead from Carl. As exciting as it is to hear the busy vocal arrangement, I don't think there is much to this song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx