gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 08:30:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Dennis were alive today  (Read 12662 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2007, 11:07:32 PM »

the same man who has all the hardcore fans confused whether its Brian or not on the recording...

Oh, come on!  We all know it was Brian singing the girl's part on "Be Here in the Morning" and the vocals at the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree," right?

Right?

Hello?

Is this thing on...?

Some are Brian and some Al. Like in 'Be Here in the Morning' Brian sing Ahhh, and Al sings most of the lead. Then on 'Life of a Tree' Al sings "Oh lord I lay me down..." and I believe Brian is singing doo doo doo. But Marylin might be singing some of that.
I don't know. That's just what I think it is.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2007, 07:59:33 AM »

the same man who has all the hardcore fans confused whether its Brian or not on the recording...

Oh, come on!  We all know it was Brian singing the girl's part on "Be Here in the Morning" and the vocals at the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree," right?

Right?

Hello?

Is this thing on...?

Some are Brian and some Al. Like in 'Be Here in the Morning' Brian sing Ahhh, and Al sings most of the lead. Then on 'Life of a Tree' Al sings "Oh lord I lay me down..." and I believe Brian is singing doo doo doo. But Marylin might be singing some of that.
I don't know. That's just what I think it is.

I was just kidding before, making reference to longstanding debates here on who sang what.

For the record, I accept that it's Al singing lead on "Be Here in the Morning."

But it'll take a time machine and a trip to Brian's home studio in 1971 during the recording session for "A Day in the Life of a Tree" to convince me that it wasn't Brian singing "Oh lord I lay me down..."

Glenn
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2007, 09:10:16 AM »

But it'll take a time machine and a trip to Brian's home studio in 1971 during the recording session for "A Day in the Life of a Tree" to convince me that it wasn't Brian singing "Oh lord I lay me down..."

Can't manage that, but would the word of someone who's heard the vocal tapes isolated out, voice by voice, and the word of someone who was there at the session, be enough ?

Hint - both of them are called Alan.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 10:00:44 AM »

Can't manage that, but would the word of someone who's heard the vocal tapes isolated out, voice by voice, and the word of someone who was there at the session, be enough ?

Hint - both of them are called Alan.  Roll Eyes

I guess so...
Color me heartbroken...   Cry

Glenn
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »

What about the "A Children's song..." tag at the end of Surf's Up '71?  Brian or Al?  Seems there's some confusion on that one.  The Desper and Carlin books say it's Brian, the record sounds more like Al to me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »

My ears tend towards Alan too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 12:59:01 PM »

Yeah, I think it's Alan as well.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2007, 06:18:42 PM »

That's exactly what I meant when I said Alan "was just as important as the rest of them."  He's there singing the great parts and some never realized it.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2007, 08:26:04 PM »

That's funny. I'm listening to Surfs Up as we speak. And I think....it's Al.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 05:22:25 AM »

Im pretty sure it was confirmed that the 'Children's Song...' line in Surf's Up was Alan. Forgot where...

It might have been from those old Rieley posts.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2007, 09:46:57 AM »

What about the "A Children's song..." tag at the end of Surf's Up '71?  Brian or Al?  Seems there's some confusion on that one.  The Desper and Carlin books say it's Brian, the record sounds more like Al to me.

I think that's Al.

Glenn
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2007, 03:18:58 PM »

In a way it's kind of sad.  If there were one thing I'd wish it were Brian singing it'd be that one.  Just to prove he wasn't completely finished with that material.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

In a way it's kind of sad.  If there were one thing I'd wish it were Brian singing it'd be that one.  Just to prove he wasn't completely finished with that material.

At least we have the 2004 version, where he sings the whole thing!

Glenn
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx