gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681060 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 08:44:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about a bootleg  (Read 2633 times)
Funky_Pretty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »

Hello. I'm new here and yes I came here to ask some questions about a bootleg, here is the link:

http://www.cabinessence.net/boots/bigsur.shtml

Is this bootleg for real, I mean, it has a very strange setlist for that time, lots of rarities. It says that it's from the Murry 1001 Label. Of course I Googled this, but no results (only that particular website).

I contacted the webmaster about this, but no reply yet. Maybe anybody here knows more about this one. It could be a combination of 2 years live at Big Sur, but did they play there in 1972 and 1973?

Since I'm a collector, I would like to know this. And the Holland/Carl And The Passions era is my favourite.

Thanks in advance!

Rick
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:31:35 AM »

Smile was (again) sceduled to be released in 1972 or 1973, so they usually did some Smile songs in those years.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:58 AM »

Well, first my question would be:
Did they really play CABINESSENCE, FALL BREAKS AND BACK TO WINTER, PET SOUNDS and STEAMBOAT live? I don't think so....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Funky_Pretty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 03:34:46 AM »

Well, first my question would be:
Did they really play CABINESSENCE, FALL BREAKS AND BACK TO WINTER, PET SOUNDS and STEAMBOAT live? I don't think so....

Well, that's a strange thing yes. But, I heard rumours that they did played Steamboat live. It's a dream setlist, if you ask me.

And why would someone come up with a fake bootleg? It doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand, there is nothing to be found about this one. It would be really great if this bootleg is real, but I doubt it. That's why I started this topic.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 03:49:44 AM »

This does seem like a rather long show for the time period in question.  But I wouldn't rule it out.  It could have happened around the time that Holland was first released.  It seems that for the 70's and 80's albums that they would try a large number of album cuts out in concert, only to drop the vast majority of them soon afterward.

However, a lot of the other tracks sound very unlikely to have been included in a 1973 concert...Surfin' Safari didn't come back until 1981 or so.  Susie Cincinnati was introduced to the setlist in 1976.  Little Deuce Coupe?  Around 1976, 1977.  409? Wow...not seriously re-introduced until about 1981 or so...

FWIW, I have never received a setlist with Fall Breaks And Back To Winter or Steamboat on it.

If you find a copy of this please let us know!
Funky_Pretty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:09:14 AM »

Little Deuce Coupe was played again in 1974. Wink

409 and Surfin' Safari could be requests from the audience or songs they've tried in the beginning, but dropped later on, because it didn't work very well. I mean, they were a progressive band at that time, so those songs didn't really fit in their set. Maybe Blondie or Ricky didn't agree with those songs to be played, as they had a big influence on their progressive sound. Or those songs could be small improvisations...

Pet Sounds and those Smile songs are a big question-mark in my mind. Really strange. But then again, Pet Sounds was packed with Carl And The Passions in a double LP-set in 1972, if my mind serves me well. Maybe they wanted to try some things?

As I said, I heard that they played a few Dennis' songs during that tour. Forever, River Song and even Steamboat. So, I leave this possibility open...

Susie Cincinnati was written in 1970 and could be in the setlist. But, it's very unlikely. Maybe a improvisation or request again? Who knows...

And DID they played in Big Sur in those years? As I mentioned earlier, it could be combination of two years (1972 and 1973) as it is stated on that website.

Opinions are welcome. Grin

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:06:42 AM »

Well, you never know with bootlegs... Sleeves of bootlegs are often full of wrong song titles and wrong dates... I even have bootlegs with studio recordings that have fake audience noises and artificial reverb to make them sound as if they were 'live'...
XY
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 05:27:14 AM »

Some songs on this boot ("Sail On Sailor", "California Saga", "Surf's Up", "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring", "Little Deuce Coupe" etc...) were performed during the 1975 Beachago tour with Chicago. This tour included many rarities and Dennis leads ("In the Back Of My Mind", "Don't Talk"). If this boot really exists and it's all from one show, which is highly unlikely, it must be from 1975. "Susie Cincinati" was of course first released on the "Add Some Music" single in 1970.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:56:31 AM »

This bootleg has long been discussed between fans. I think it's fake. Why would someone add a fake bootleg to the (then) Mike Wheeler's cabinessence site? I don't know. It only took ONE person who found it funny to come up with dreamlike bootlegs that leave fans pondering and salivating.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:00:06 AM »

fake like the other Cocaine sessions
http://www.cabinessence.net/boots/cocaine.shtml

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Funky_Pretty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 07:19:49 AM »

Yes, it must be fake then. A shame really, a website which has fake bull**** on it. Why doesn't the webmaster first check if the bootlegs really exist before putting it on the website? The Murry 1001 label must be a fake then too. It was too good to be true, I guess.

Ah well, thanks for your answers. I think I know enough for now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:21:20 AM by Funky_Pretty » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx