gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680997 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 07:50:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Marks' initial non-involvement in C50  (Read 10720 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »

I recall reading on this board that after Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce got together and recorded Do It Again, David called Mike and advised him that he'd like to be a part of the reunion.

(However I was unable to find the post doing a search, if it in fact the post still exists in its original form.)

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »

Don't recall that happening and unlikely IMO. I think it was mentioned Mike pushing for Dave to be included.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »

I recall reading on this board that after Brian, Mike, Al, and Bruce got together and recorded Do It Again, David called Mike and advised him that he'd like to be a part of the reunion.

(However I was unable to find the post doing a search, if it in fact the post still exists in its original form.)

Is this the thread/comments you recall you read: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10672.msg197589.html#msg197589

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »

Is this the thread/comments you recall you read: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10672.msg197589.html#msg197589

The post I'm thinking of would have taken place after it was confirmed that David would be part of the 50th anniversary reunion.  My recollection is that someone asked how David came to be officially involved, and Jon Stebbins answered something along the lines of "David picked up the phone and called Mike and told him that he'd like to be a part of the reunion."  I attempted to find that post before posting my comment, just to make sure I was remembering things correctly, but didn't find it.

At one of the all to brief 50th Anniversary Meet and Greets I did tell David that I was really glad he was a part of the reunion, to which he enthusiastically replied, "So am I!"

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »

At one of the all to brief 50th Anniversary Meet and Greets I did tell David that I was really glad he was a part of the reunion, to which he enthusiastically replied, "So am I!"

Cheesy Cool story!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »

edit: wrong thread

RioGrande
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2014, 08:26:45 AM »

I think that some may be perceiving the unreleased version of the Do It Again video in a way that puts the cart ahead of the horse a little bit. There is undoubtedly an early cut of the video that was made before David was contracted into the reunion lineup. However that version was not green-lighted for release due to the fact that the reunion plan or lineup hadn't been finalized, and wasn't until after David had been invited in. In fact it was Brian who requested that David come out to L.A. and add guitar to the Do It Again remake, which he definitely did. From there he was on board as the rest of the C50 plans solidified. The video was finished to reflect Dave's appearance on the session, notice Mike and Brian are both there in the studio with Dave on the final cut of the video. Someone leaked the unfinished version of the video pre-Dave for reasons i do not know. But the reunion came together like this...first Mike and Brian had to agree to get together, Bruce came along with Mike...then Al was negotiated in...there was a negotiation over which band would be the C50 band, Mike got his drummer and his musical director on board, Brian got his guys on board, the principals were completed when David joined in. Do It Again video was completed. Grammy appearance, TWGMTR sessions, TV appearances, Tour yada yada yada. And regarding the TWGMTR album credits...they are wrong, everybody who has looked at this carefully knows they are wrong. There are instruments on songs, obvious ones, that are not listed in the credits. There are also voices on the songs that are not listed in the credits. I think the credits were done in a rush, and for whatever reason were not complete. Dave's voice may be barely on the album, but I know he did do some vocal sessions as well as his guitar playing on the record, which is also under-credited...the credits missed at least one track he plays electric on, maybe two. But don't sweat it that there was some kind of conspiracy, or revelation...its was just an incremental, chronological, typically messy process. Dave was patient because he'd been told for a year or more prior to C50 by those who matter that he would be invited to participate in the reunion. He was happy when it became a reality and he became a Beach Boy again for a great year.

Thanks Jon for sharing all this info!

Dave's involvement was the thing I liked most in all the 2012 reunion. And if they actually listened to fans, that's great. Not everybody does that.

If they had taken on board also Blondie and Ricky, it would have been perfect, but maybe it's asking too much.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx