gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 07:29:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas for a BW Box Set  (Read 16780 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »

Seems like there's time to prepare something like this to be prepared and released behind No Pier Pressure and Love and Mercy.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 02:00:58 AM »

As long as they call it Last Wilson Standing, I'm cool with anything they include.

That said (assuming for no good reason it's a 75th birthday project)...

CD1 - 25+ essential tracks 1986-2017, except...
CD2 - BWPS in full
CD3 - 25+ rarities & unreleased
DVD - selected live performances 1985-2017, including BWPS in full

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 03:14:52 AM »

As long as they call it Last Wilson Standing, I'm cool with anything they include.

CD2 - BWPS in full

I'd go along with this immediately. I think 50 to 60 tracks apart from BWPS will be fully satisfying, and the DVD is one for delectation every now and then.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 04:16:58 AM »

A box of rare and unreleased stuff would certainly be great to have.

I would have thought that Brian appearing on so many record labels over the years might be a barrier towards releasing a comprehensive Made in California type thing though.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 05:38:30 AM »

except ??

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »

I believe AGD means no smile stuff on first best of cd.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »

Did another mockup during some spare time....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »

Shocked

That is what I want.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »

Cry it's beautiful

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »

Capitol pls just take my money

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »

I WANT IT RAB

WHY CAN'T THESE THINGS BE REAL

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:54 AM »

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:58 AM »

I forgot to add - they should include the Friends rewrites...even if the Passing By tape is missing Sad

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

non-distorted view of the LP boxset cover:

...How I wish this were a real thing....

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »

It's a far-fetched idea, but one of the things I'd love most of all is a redo of the '88 album, with the original vocals on brand new backing tracks. The synthesizers and drum machines are what a lot of people can't get past (and I love the arrangements but there's not a lot of subtlety like there is in Love You, so it isn't very easy on the ear), and with an cleaner sound the quality of the songwriting would come through so much better.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:55:18 AM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »

CD2 - BWPS in full
PRE-ORDERED!   Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »

CD2 - BWPS in full
PRE-ORDERED!   Cool Guy

I'm not too interested in this...I already own both the CD and DVD of BWPS, so I wouldn't really want to buy either again unless it were a new mix or something...and I'm not a big fan if "Last Wilson Standing" either Tongue so his brothers are dead...why should that matter here?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 03:10:57 PM »

You've not seen the 2001 tribute, have you ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »

Although it might crack an initial smile here and there..."The Last Wilson Standing" strikes me as, after those first few titters have died down, being in rather poor taste.  A bit of a disservice to all three brothers really.  Doubtful Brian would go 'there'.

I was told 15 days ago that there is quite a bit of material recorded that could see the light of day as a 'new' Beach Boys release...if the wind decides to blow in that direction again.  Are there enough fans to make the expensive packaging of a Brian Wilson Box Set worth doing for some company of note and stature?  What would their return be?

If the supply far exceeds the demand...even if it's Brian's birthday...what chance is there of this coming to fruition?  If there's Beach Boys' material included then the pie gets sliced thinner doesn't it?  Most here already have all of the official solo releases.  I just can't wrap my head around there being  a big enough group of people ready to step forward with their money to buy material which didn't make it.  This isn't Pet Sounds or Smile...or Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:30 PM »

Just because it was a line in a tribute show doesn't make it a good line. Honestly, it strikes me as rather morbid.

It's a far-fetched idea, but one of the things I'd love most of all is a redo of the '88 album, with the original vocals on brand new backing tracks. The synthesizers and drum machines are what a lot of people can't get past (and I love the arrangements but there's not a lot of subtlety like there is in Love You, so it isn't very easy on the ear), and with an cleaner sound the quality of the songwriting would come through so much better.

Ya know, I can understand if they wouldn't re-record it in a studio, but I would love if Brian's band played 'Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long', or 'There's So Many', and record it for a live album...and make the instrumentals sound more like Pet Sounds-era or something.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »

Although it might crack an initial smile here and there..."The Last Wilson Standing" strikes me as, after those first few titters have died down, being in rather poor taste.  A bit of a disservice to all three brothers really.  Doubtful Brian would go 'there'.

I was told 15 days ago that there is quite a bit of material recorded that could see the light of day as a 'new' Beach Boys release...if the wind decides to blow in that direction again.  Are there enough fans to make the expensive packaging of a Brian Wilson Box Set worth doing for some company of note and stature?  What would their return be?

If the supply far exceeds the demand...even if it's Brian's birthday...what chance is there of this coming to fruition?  If there's Beach Boys' material included then the pie gets sliced thinner doesn't it?  Most here already have all of the official solo releases.  I just can't wrap my head around there being  a big enough group of people ready to step forward with their money to buy material which didn't make it.  This isn't Pet Sounds or Smile...or Brian Wilson Presents Smile.

I don't think anyone here seriously believes that a truly lavish BW solo box set is forthcoming. We're indulging in some wish fulfillment fantasies.

That being said, I'm sure some smaller label would be willing to do it, but BW prefers to play by the terms of the big companies, with all of the compromises that requires.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »

This really needs to include Live at the Roxy, GIOMH and the Christmas album. They all have original BW songs on them that are unavilable anywhere else. The Disney album, on the other hand, has precisely zero BW songwriting credits.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »

True, I definitely should've put Roxy in there somewhere (I was pressed for space, hence the non-inclusion of certain albums). As it's a fan-made fantasy, I'd rather forget that GIOMH even exists Grin

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »

I hear you Wirestone but wishes have become realities several times in the past...with a nice variety of hidden gems floating to the surface like cream.  And even though they aren't his compositions if you're going where you're going...there has to be some lost Orange Crate Art to be found.  That album never would have worked without Brian.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »

True, I definitely should've put Roxy in there somewhere (I was pressed for space, hence the non-inclusion of certain albums). As it's a fan-made fantasy, I'd rather forget that GIOMH even exists Grin

No, but if you're following my proposal, it will be a re-recorded, remixed special version of GIOMH!

I hear you Wirestone but wishes have become realities several times in the past...with a nice variety of hidden gems floating to the surface like cream.  And even though they aren't his compositions if you're going where you're going...there has to be some lost Orange Crate Art to be found.  That album never would have worked without Brian.

Of course! OCA is essential to the solo BW discography.

So, for that matter, are his four tracks on the Wilsons LP from 97 ... but people don't really talk about that much.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx