gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681095 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 07:59:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SUMMER WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE BEACH BOYS 50TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR WRAP  (Read 129044 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »

I think they published this now because tickets for the post-Celebration shows are already on sale and they need to be on the safe side regarding possible complaints.
Still, it leaves a bad aftertaste.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »

What worries me is that coming into the last leg of this tour, the Beach Boys legacy was intact and soaring. Now it seems that this press release alone might undo all the positive vibes from fans, critics and the band and leave the BB where they were before all this - as a band who are constantly feuding.

Hmm....that's a slightly overly-dramatic view on the situation.  It really doesn't look like there are any real feuds going on in the band.  Sure all our shorts are in a twist but that's because we're all mega fans who want the band to continue on forever.  There is some backlash on FB about the story but that shoudln't really effect the huge crowds coming to see them in the UK.  Afterall, these are their first shows of the tour.  In that position, I wouldn' be harping about arguemnts or feuds...I'd just be ready to rock out.  And I think that's what he UK audiences will be doing...
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »

This is all I can say about it  Wall

I don't know, but I have a feeling that something's not exactly right, as if they're not telling us everything. Or maybe I'm overthinking it...

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »

But as far as Brian Wilson is concerned, if Brian told Mike that he wanted to tour with Mike & Bruce, there is no way - NO WAY - Mike would refuse. For 51 years, Mike has lived to work with Brian Wilson in any capacity. I believe his estrangement from Brian over the last three decades has been killing him, personally and professionally.

We seem to have direct evidence to the contrary. Now, there may be reasons for Mike doing what he's doing, but it sure seems like he prefers the certainty of his own band and directing his own tours. And who would fault him for that?

This "Brian is bummed" is a joke. Brian's probably mentally and physically exhausted and is looking forward to nothing more than a recliner for a few months. If Brian wants to resume touring with The Beach Boys, he/they will. If Brian wants to record another album with The Beach Boys, he/they will.

We'll see. It didn't sound like a joke to me, and Jean is a straight shooter.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »

They were only ever planning to do the reunion for this one tour and Love/Johnston were going to continue touring afterwards in the same way that they had been beforehand.  I don't think anyone from the band has indicated otherwise.  As long as they can avoid suing each other, they will not regain their reputation of constantly feuding with each other.

As for the possibility of more recording, the fact that the band is apparently getting along makes it possible I guess, but they keep talking of a possibility, meaning that there are no definite plans.  For that reason, I'll only believe that a new album is going to be made when Andrew G Doe starts hinting at it in his way.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »

Is Mike's license for touring valid indefinitely or does it have an expiration date?  I wonder if he's continuing to get as much dough as he can until the license is up for renewal and others can vote him down.  I have nothing against Mike per se, but it does seem he's devaluing the name if there is possibility for another tour with the full reunited line-up.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »

But as far as Brian Wilson is concerned, if Brian told Mike that he wanted to tour with Mike & Bruce, there is no way - NO WAY - Mike would refuse. For 51 years, Mike has lived to work with Brian Wilson in any capacity. I believe his estrangement from Brian over the last three decades has been killing him, personally and professionally.

We seem to have direct evidence to the contrary.

"I don't want to work with The Beach Boys again. I don't like Mike Love. When Carl died, that was the end of The Beach Boys." Now, flash ahead a few months...."I'm looking forward to singing again with the guys and writing songs with Mike..." Is that the kind of evidence you are referring to.

In the words of the late Ronald Regan, "There you go again." Come on, Wirestone, you follow Brian more than anybody. You should know better than to let these new comments serve as "evidence". Maybe I should ask, is that the evidence you are referring to?

This is a compliment. I'm not being sarcastic. You are really good at handpicking certain quotes and using them to "prove" a point. Now, I know everybody does it, but you are really, really good at it. We do agree on one thing - We shall see. That'll be the evidence.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

I wonder if he's continuing to get as much dough as he can until the license is up for renewal and others can vote him down.  I have nothing against Mike per se, but it does seem he's devaluing the name if there is possibility for another tour with the full reunited line-up.

I wonder if Brian is trying to get as much dough as he can when he votes to give Mike the license as he (Brian) sits at home and collects a check for every show that Mike & Bruce work. I wonder if Brian cares about devaluing the name when he places his vote.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »

What's the big deal? We knew it was only a temp arrangement from the start. Mike wants to tour 150 days a year, Brian would rather cut off his left testicle than commit to that kind of schedule year in year out.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »

The LA Times depicts the situation as the other BBs being caught off-guard by Mike's decision. That can't be so. They had to be aware. We were.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

In the middle of all this chaos, I'd like to admit I'm a huge Insane Clown Posse fan and everyone will forget this amidst said chaos. Long live concrete.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:06:16 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2012, 05:07:13 PM »

The LA Times depicts the situation as the other BBs being caught off-guard by Mike's decision. That can't be so. They had to be aware. We were.

Yeah the way they're spinning it does make it sound worse than it is but it's nothing we haven't heard before.  I just didn't necessarily want to hear it again!  Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »

"I don't want to work with The Beach Boys again. I don't like Mike Love. When Carl died, that was the end of The Beach Boys." Now, flash ahead a few months...."I'm looking forward to singing again with the guys and writing songs with Mike..." Is that the kind of evidence you are referring to.

In the words of the late Ronald Regan, "There you go again." Come on, Wirestone, you follow Brian more than anybody. You should know better than to let these new comments serve as "evidence". Maybe I should ask, is that the evidence you are referring to?

This is a compliment. I'm not being sarcastic. You are really good at handpicking certain quotes and using them to "prove" a point. Now, I know everybody does it, but you are really, really good at it. We do agree on one thing - We shall see. That'll be the evidence.

There's no doubt Brian fed everyone a line about the reunion for much of 2010-2011. But we're clearly in a confusing time right now, and the actions of Brian's people -- the words from Jean, the posting of the article to FB -- do suggest that there is some push and pull between the factions going on.

To ignore that and say that Brian clearly doesn't want to tour with the group, etc. ... I just don't think that's supported by the current evidence. Not saying it's not true, but Brian certainly seems to have been overjoyed with the way the reunion went. He's said so. Mike seems to be pushing to limit the amount of reunion touring. He's said so. So it's not odd at all to speculate about a split in agendas.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »

How could they not be aware if it has been known to the public since July-ish? Something seems a little off, but then bits and pieces are being thrown here and there so I don't think we'll really know for sure what is going on post reunion until they have a straight explanation.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »

There's no doubt Brian fed everyone a line about the reunion for much of 2010-2011. But we're clearly in a confusing time right now, and the actions of Brian's people -- the words from Jean, the posting of the article to FB -- do suggest that there is some push and pull between the factions going on.

To ignore that and say that Brian clearly doesn't want to tour with the group, etc. ... I just don't think that's supported by the current evidence. Not saying it's not true, but Brian certainly seems to have been overjoyed with the way the reunion went. He's said so. Mike seems to be pushing to limit the amount of reunion touring. He's said so. So it's not odd at all to speculate about a split in agendas.

Confusing? Yes.

Push and pull between the factions? Maybe, but I really don't think with Brian. Al and David got bumped, but, again, that was probably decided months ago, and they both knew it was coming.

I'm not ignoring what Brian has said (positive things) about touring; I'm going with my gut, and history.

You're right, it's not odd to speculate considering the confusing statements coming out. That's what we do. Cheesy But, speculating is one thing, jumping to conclusions and blaming people and taking sides and proclaiming evidence is another thing. I'm not ready to go there - yet.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »

How could they not be aware if it has been known to the public since July-ish? Something seems a little off, but then bits and pieces are being thrown here and there so I don't think we'll really know for sure what is going on post reunion until they have a straight explanation.

I dunno. I know the world of the BB's can be strange, and they can seem unfamiliar with very common, obvious things. But I'm not prepared to think that we knew or know more about what was *going* to happen or what is going to happen than the other band members.

It's true, these articles are painting a picture where Brian, Al, and David don't seem to want to end the reunion, while Mike has some sort of mixed feelings about the prospect. I don't think it's totally far-fetched that perhaps things were (or are) still up on the air, and maybe Brian/Al/David knew Mike had a few gigs booked, but maybe there were indications they were going to do more reunion stuff sooner rather than later, and perhaps Mike or his camp made a more declarative statement about his immediate future plans than the rest of the guys were aware of.

There are little pieces here and there that suggest Brian and Al want to continue. Brian seems positive at the moment. Al seems even more adament about keeping on with the reunion. On the other hand, Mike has in past months expressed at least a passive bit of shying away from having a huge, expensive backing band and all of the big machinery involved with this big tour, and he also seems to place a condition (writing with Brian) on doing another album. Given the portrayal in the Rolling Stone article a few months ago about how Mike felt about the closing "suite" of songs, it's not unfathomable that he's not interested in another melancholy, Brian-centric Beach Boys album.

I don't buy for a second that "Brian is bummed" is just a total joke. That makes no sense at all, whatsoever. Maybe they didn't mean it so dramatically, like Brian just felt like "bummer, okay, what next?" If that's a joke, it's the most subtle, dry, non-joke joke they could have made.

This article does also give us a bit of information regarding those who have been suggesting that these upcoming Mike/Bruce gigs were some sort of contractual obligations that they couldn't get out of. The article states that Mike made the decision to cancel the "Nutty Jerry's" show due to the confusion. That doesn't mean there weren't perhaps some financial consequences to that, but it demonstrates that Mike is able and willing to cancel a show after it's been publicized.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2012, 05:42:18 PM »

Confusing? Yes.

Push and pull between the factions? Maybe, but I really don't think with Brian. Al and David got bumped, but, again, that was probably decided months ago, and they both knew it was coming.

I'm not ignoring what Brian has said (positive things) about touring; I'm going with my gut, and history.

You're right, it's not odd to speculate considering the confusing statements coming out. That's what we do. Cheesy But, speculating is one thing, jumping to conclusions and blaming people and taking sides and proclaiming evidence is another thing. I'm not ready to go there - yet.

I think saying that Brian, Al, and David got "bumped" would be the wrong way to put it. Any "reunion" activity would simply require everybody to agree to it. It doesn't sound like anybody got bumped or dumped. Rather, it *may* be that some folks in the band had/have a desire to continue it, and other members either aren't interested or have mixed feelings about it, thus passively not allowing it to happen.

The comment about some sort of tour industry person saying they should give it a "rest" for a year sounds strange. As I said before, "oversaturation" of the market is a real thing to think about. But I just can't imagine some industry person saying "You know Mike, you guys should wait a year before doing another reunion tour so that you can build more interest and demand. But in the meantime, you should also continue to book 100 to 150 shows next year under that same 'Beach Boys' name, just with shorter shows, 60% less actual Beach Boys, and a backing band half the size."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:44:51 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »

Confusing? Yes.

I think saying that Brian, Al, and David got "bumped" would be the wrong way to put it. Any "reunion" activity would simply require everybody to agree to it. It doesn't sound like anybody got bumped or dumped. Rather, it *may* be that some folks in the band had/have a desire to continue it, and other members either aren't interested or have mixed feelings about it, thus passively not allowing it to happen.

Agree. You said what I meant better than I said it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »

Confusing? Yes.

Agree. You said what I meant better than I said it.

That sounds about right to me, too.

What I've always said -- and Mike seems to leave the possibility of this open -- is that the band should keep doing these full-sized reunion shows every couple of years, even if they're mini-tours. The musical combination is too good to abandon. But I can understand a desire to scale things back.

Frankly, if they manage another album, a reunion tour behind that would make a lot of sense. But that likely wouldn't be out until 2014 or so.

On the other hand, if Brian and Al really wanted to, they could always deny Mike a license for the name when it next came up. Wouldn't that be something?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:59:32 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2012, 06:10:18 PM »

Mike would go nuts if he got the name taken away.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »

I gotta wonder if maybe Mike wasn't that happy with TWGMTR. He's only the lead singer on a third of the album, and the lyrics (besides "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches In Mind") aren't exactly Mike Love fun-in-the-sun type fare. Even though I think Mike has grown up a bit and became a little wiser over time, I really don't think he sees any point in The Beach Boys besides the '62 to '65  hits and "Kokomo". And he will also giving lip service to Pet Sounds and if he's feeling nice, "Heroes And Villains" and "Wonderful".

I wish there was a Beach Boys forum where people actually liked the members of the band.
Be careful what you wish for-it's all there just as you want it on the ridiculous BBB board-you'll find it real comfy over there.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

Mike has made clear in interviews that he was not used to the big touring entourages of the reunion tour, and that he prefers to tour with minimal people and simpler logistics.  Of course a smaller and simpler tour means more money for him.  Secondly, it's clear Brian has been in the driver's seat for this tour - witness the RS article where Brian wanted to add some "deep cuts" to the song list, Mike was not enthused and yet they appear in the show a few nights later.  mike wants control back, after having it for years in his version of the Beach Boys.  Brian's band members seem to dislike the show business shtick of John Stamos (RS) and of course Mike thrives on it.

Now the possibility of future recording.  Again, Brian called the shots on the album, and I think it's clear mike was disappointed he didn't get to write more songs with Brian, instead of Joe Thomas.  He seemed to express this in the RS article as well, when he commented on Summer's Gone that he didn't write that and that it was too dark ("too much cumulus" I.e. clouds) for his taste.  He must have thought he could have done better with the lyrics but didn't get the chance.  The album is a commercial success and he's not getting the royalties on most of the songs.  So mike positions himself that he'll do anther BB album IF he writes some songs with Brian, and I suspect he means MOST of the songs.

I interpret this as a push and pull between Mike and Brian, with the others as bystanders - but bystanders who very much want to continue touring with some version of the Beach Boys.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

Spring Vacation shows why Brian doesn't write songs with Mike much anymore, Mike seems to have lost his lyrical skills.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »

I dunno how much legal stuff and politics and whatnot go into it, but while the "corporate" structure as we understand it seems to indicate that they could vote to take the license away at some point, I'd also have to believe that Mike would not be so bold as to use the name if he had an indication that the others were firmly against it, because he would risk having it taken away.

As has been said a million times, these scenarios were all considered by all of us before the reunion started. But I would have thought something a bit more tidy and formal would have happened. Maybe not just a continuing of the reunion lineup, but something a bit more orderly and well-explained for fans than following up reunion gigs at Royal Albert Hall and Wembley with non-reunion gigs within days or weeks in Biloxi, preceded by a statement from Mike that seems to not directly match up with what some of the other guys feel about future reunion prospects.

It's interesting that only certain individuals in the band and their camp have seemed to continue to toot the "The reunion was a set amount of time that ends on September 28th" horn. As I believe Howie Edelson pointed out months ago, Bruce seemed almost gleeful in stating before the tour started that it had a *definite* ending period after which no more shows with all five BB's would happen.

Hopefully some clarification or more comments from the band members will surface.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »

To make matters worse I just read an article that said the UK gigs were canceled, I went back to it 5 minutes later now It's gone..

I don't know what to think  Huh

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 27 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx